Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So if your parents kick you out how will you survive?

You're literally being supported
    Lmao, the only thing they support me with is my room and food if I want to eat what my mother cooks, everything else I have to pay for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Lmao, the only thing they support me with is my room and food if I want to eat what my mother cooks, everything else I have to pay for myself.
    What the fuck?! DWELLING IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST EXPENSE as percent of income for people in lower income ranges like you. "support me lol, all they do is give me a home to live in lolol what do you mean by support? hahahaha" are you serious?

What the fuck?! DWELLING IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST EXPENSE as percent of income for people in lower income ranges like you. "support me lol, all they do is give me a home to live in lolol what do you mean by support? hahahaha" are you serious?
    When I was working in Singapore, rent was more than half of my monthly expenses($3500-4000) there and I saved money every month. Still made it just fine without my parents supporting me.

When I was working in Singapore, rent was more than half of my monthly expenses($3500-4000) there and I saved money every month. Still made it just fine without my parents supporting me.
    You're not in Singapore you're in Korea, so you would go back to Singapore?

The thing that I am lying out is that if your wages are too low you can't save money.

You're not in Singapore you're in Korea, so you would go back to Singapore?

The thing that I am lying out is that if your wages are too low you can't save money.
    You said I'm low income, I was not when I was working. I've got enough money to live like I do for some years ahead even if I wouldn't work until I run out of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Because in many cases, it's entrapment and illegal. There are many cases of the police getting into serious legal trouble over it. America is kinda weird that police are allowed to trick people into committing crimes.

And that's not to say maybe these people wouldn't have committed a crime anyway or thought about it. But shit we all think about doing illegal things sometimes. Without the opportunity to do them, we ya know, don't do them.
    I hate this bull shit argument / idiotic way of thinking.

they are leaving a car unlocked, they aren't tipping anyone off it's there or encouraging anyone to take it. Nor are they forcing people to try to take it. I've walked past a unlocked car multiple times, hell I've walked past cars in summer where people leave their windows wide open. I've seen keys left in, laptops left on back seats etc.

Doesn't fucking cross my mind once to reach in and take anything or try to steal the car. It's really fucking simple, don't take what isn't yours. If you do and it's a police sting good, you deserve what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

they are leaving a car unlocked, they aren't tipping anyone off it's there or encouraging anyone to take it. Nor are they forcing people to try to take it. I've walked past a unlocked car multiple times, hell I've walked past cars in summer where people leave their windows wide open. I've seen keys left in, laptops left on back seats etc.

Doesn't fucking cross my mind once to reach in and take anything or try to steal the car. It's really fucking simple, don't take what isn't yours. If you do and it's a police sting good, you deserve what you get.
    That's one thing I love about living here, nobody touches your shit even if you leave it in plain sight. If they do touch it, it's very likely they've turned it over to lost and found.

To catch random criminals they happen to stumble upon, no. If they hare a reasonable amount of evidence and documentation that they just need confirmed about one specific person, yes.

I think most people have done something really, really stupid in their youth that they regret and that in reality meant nothing...if you got snagged in a sting at that point you could face serious consequences for no real benefit to anyone.

With bait cars specifically, I see no issue. They're not "tricking" anyone into doing anything. They're just leaving an opportunity, one of many that are found all over. If someone wants to steal a car, they're gonna steal whichever one they can. I've walked past plenty of unlocked cars, even ones with keys still in them and have never stolen one.

The police aren't communicating, convincing, persuading etc. anyone to do anything, it's entirely off the persons own back if they see a car and think to steal it.

Things where the police are communicating with someone in hopes they'll commit a crime are a problem as it's a known fact people can be persuaded to do something they wouldn't normally do quite easily without even realising its happening. Same with recording people before they have committed a crime, that data could potentially be dangerous to have.

But as I said, if it's something as simple as leaving a car for someone to get into and steal with no other influence, then I'm fine with that.

That's one thing I love about living here, nobody touches your shit even if you leave it in plain sight. If they do touch it, it's very likely they've turned it over to lost and found.
    I mean hell, I shouldn't even have used my car example, I've just popped into work to check on an experiment, gone into my office; someone else is in here (new person as it was a vacant area), they've left their purse out, laptop open, keys on the side etc. I just walked in and went "oh there's someone new started"

But yea on a few occasions I've stumbled across a car with a window down, it's usually outside a restaurant or pub, so I head inside and tell a member of staff and they usually try to locate if its one of their customers or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    To catch random criminals they happen to stumble upon, no. If they hare a reasonable amount of evidence and documentation that they just need confirmed about one specific person, yes.

I think most people have done something really, really stupid in their youth that they regret and that in reality meant nothing...if you got snagged in a sting at that point you could face serious consequences for no real benefit to anyone.
    As you rightly should, being young isn't a reason for stupidity or stealing. I can't speak for you but I had a correct upbringing that taught me taking something that wasn't yours is wrong.

Well, that sure saved me the time to write it down myself. Totally agree with you - it may be considered a trap, but it's one that only works on people who would steal in the first place. Rather have the bad guys get caught in a sting than letting them cause harm in an actual crime.

I mean hell, I shouldn't even have used my car example, I've just popped into work to check on an experiment, gone into my office; someone else is in here (new person as it was a vacant area), they've left their purse out, laptop open, keys on the side etc. I just walked in and went "oh there's someone new started"

But yea on a few occasions I've stumbled across a car with a window down, it's usually outside a restaurant or pub, so I head inside and tell a member of staff and they usually try to locate if its one of their customers or not.

- - - Updated - - -

As you rightly should, being young isn't a reason for stupidity or stealing. I can't speak for you but I had a correct upbringing that taught me taking something that wasn't yours is wrong.
    I am sorry you reached a point in life where you want to punish people just for the hell of it.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Sure, as long as they are not coercing someone.

the city I'm speaking about has a median of 25k and is more expensive than Daegu. What was your Jeonse for your apartment then?
    We paid 500 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardi View Post
    Well, that sure saved me the time to write it down myself. Totally agree with you - it may be considered a trap, but it's one that only works on people who would steal in the first place. Rather have the bad guys get caught in a sting than letting them cause harm in an actual crime.
    The answer below lol

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    I am sorry you reached a point in life where you want to punish people just for the hell of it.
    So you're sorry I want to see people who are willing to and do steal get punished?

I'm sorry but the only tools I can see disagreeing with me are those themselves who are willing to steal in the first place. It's exactly the same as idiotic logic of people who find wallets, take the cash out and try to defend themselves as teaching other people a lesson

The answer below lol

So you're sorry I want to see people who are willing to and do steal get punished?

I'm sorry but the only tools I can see disagreeing with me are those themselves who are willing to steal in the first place. It's exactly the same as idiotic logic of people who find wallets, take the cash out and try to defend themselves as teaching other people a lesson
    You are dividing the world into good people and bad people and then you base your reasoning around that. This sort of fairy tale reasoning might work in Snow white but in reality we do not have good or bad people. No one person is 100% honest or 100% dishonest and they would have to be for your logic to apply. A vast majority of people are just fine however and many of them make the odd mistake. We do not need to punish this one mistake of do anything about is usually. A lot of people will sort it out themselves when they sober up...I know I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermented View Post
    People with (severe) psychiatric disorders often seem to do just that.
    And if they have such a problem that makes them prone to harm others they should be removed from the general population. That's kind of the point of jail to begin with, a mix of punitive action and preventive solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    And if they have such a problem that makes them prone to harm others they should be removed from the general population. That's kind of the point of jail to begin with, a mix of punitive action and preventive solution.
    Absolute nonsense. People like you should be put in jail becourse you are a bigger risk for a fellow human being with this kind of opinion apparently then the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It's funny how you were telling people in another thread thought crimes by alt-righters like yourself shouldn't be a thing; and yet over here, you are singing the opposite tune.

Or maybe you seriously think the law only applies to everyone else, but not you nor your ilk.
    I said nothing like that, of course, though I don't doubt you're sincere in your delusional belief that I did, and I'm not an alt-righter, no matter how many times you repeat it. One thing's for sure, though: these wild tales you need to tell yourself in order sleep at night make for a very sad display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

I think it depends on each case individually. Yes, entrapment is a bad thing, but there is a fine line of balance...

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    In short, police creating opportunities for people to steal something. One of the more popular examples involving a specially modified car rigged with cameras and can be controlled remotely. They usually leave said car unlocked in areas where car jacking incidents have been reported and easily catch any criminals who hop in with all the evidence they need. Such as the video below.

I ask because sting operations don't seem as popular outside of the US. From an outside perspective it seems beneficial, catching criminals before they have the chance to do some, or additional, damage to someone rather than after the fact. Then as word gets out, car jackers everywhere will have the extra worry in their minds thinking that any car they steal might just be a trap waiting for them.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Sting operations start to make sense when the specific crime's rate is absurdly high, ie. the chance of catching someone stupid enough to fall for the trap is sufficiently high to justify the time and effort in that operation.

And that's also the explanation of why these things are not that popular outside the US, if you were interested.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.