Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Still going to make its money and then some as Marvel movies do and IW is still going to make more money than God so really Marvel gets the last laugh.

Tho I just wait for streaming personally. Seeing movies in theaters sucks
    I don't doubt it will make its money back, but I don't think it will get a sequel.

I might go see it. Depends on what the wife wants to do. I like movie date nights even with shit movies.

Although, I'd NEVER see a marvel movie the first 2 weeks it's released. Theaters are fucking terrible with so many people in them. Never had a good experience with a full theater.

I've heard people call CM as a character too stoic, as if the writers equate being emotional and passionate as weak for a female superhero. But then again, afaik, that's what the CM character is in the comics, as well: a stoic, almost robotic, slightly arrogant, alien superhero - who happens to be female. For you comic readers, does that ring true?

The question then becomes: is Brie Larson playing a stoic character well, or is she playing a more dynamic character blandly? Because I've also heard there are moments where she's snarky and the character is likeable, but they dial that back so she doesn't come off as "annoying."

If you go to Rotten Tomatoes and click "more info" on Capt Marvel "tomatometer" page.
    A window will pop up where you can filter only the "top critics" reviews.

The top critics are being really harsh

Its sitting at 63% tomatometer and with a score of 6

this totally destroys my agenda. Oh well. maybe im wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    Agreed, yes there will be trolls but in general the average will balance it all out.
    Critics in general can kiss my ass as they are so out of touch with what normal people like they just write stuff and expect to get paid and for some reason publishers let them get away with it.

Some examples (1st number are critics, 2nd are the punters like you and I):
    Bohemian Rhapsody 61% vs 87%
    Glass 37% vs 74%
    The upside 40% vs 85%
    Alita 60% vs 94%
    The Favourite 93% vs 66%
    Counterpoint:
    Transformers 57%vs85%
    T2 19%vs57%
    etc

Problem with user reviews is that they're easier to game in either direction. Go look at the IMDB rating for Ghostbusters 2016. An absurd amount of 10/10 ratings. An even more absurd amount of 1/10 ratings. Quite frankly anyone who awards a 1/10 or 10/10 to any movie is usually an idiot.

The positive reviews for Captain Marvel seem to have a bunch of 3/5's. The negative ones? 2-2.5/5. Nothing super positive or super negative. Lowest score was from the NYPost giving it a 1.5/4. The NYPost could've just been throwing meat to its base.

Looks like another well-made MCU movie but not one of the better ones. Probably on the level of Cap1 or Thor1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black panther was trash but it's racist to hate that movie, I think Captain Marvel will not only be worse but also bomb at the box office compared to other Marvel releases.

I will be pirating this one to bridge the story but I'm 1000000000000% going to see End Game. I really hope Marvel is smart enough not to let feminist cancer cloud their great franchise. They should also tell their actors to shut the FUCK up on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've heard people call CM as a character too stoic, as if the writers equate being emotional and passionate as weak for a female superhero. But then again, afaik, that's what the CM character is in the comics, as well: a stoic, almost robotic, slightly arrogant, alien superhero - who happens to be female. For you comic readers, does that ring true?

The question then becomes: is Brie Larson playing a stoic character well, or is she playing a more dynamic character blandly? Because I've also heard there are moments where she's snarky and the character is likeable, but they dial that back so she doesn't come off as "annoying."
    It's not about being true to the character of the comics. If that were the case, almost all the superhero movies would fail. It's all about it being a good movie. I HATE people who say "the book was better". That says NOTHING about the movies. I always go into a movie expecting it to stand on its own.

That’s what Jeremy Jahns was saying. As far as comics, I definitely don’t remember her being robotic or overly stoic. Arrogant yes. She’s not the most likable character but it’s for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    If you go to Rotten Tomatoes and click "more info" on Capt Marvel "tomatometer" page.
    A window will pop up where you can filter only the "top critics" reviews.

The top critics are being really harsh

Its sitting at 63% tomatometer and with a score of 6

this totally destroys my agenda. Oh well. maybe im wrong
    Yeah, but that might be a good thing for the fans... The critics opinions are typically the opposite of the average viewer.

*shrugs*
    I'm seeing terms like; underwhelming; Capt Mary Sue (I'm sure that hits a nerve); mediocre...triumph; Disappointing...mixed in with the better ones, it seems half a dozen of one and six of the other.

Given how people want to pit this against Wonder Woman, I’ll be curious to see how the critic vs. audience ratio plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Given how people want to pit this against Wonder Woman, I’ll be curious to see how the critic vs. audience ratio plays out.
    There is already a huge discrepancy between "top critics" of the tomatometer and "all critics"
    Now the missing piece is the audience.
    This shall be interesting.

To be fair, it could be they are being true to the character in the comics, a character who has had multiple reincarnations. There is a reason the comics consistently fail, she is just not an engaging character that people can empathize with.

Some of the reviews I'm seeing on youtube, man they are scathing and they are from leftists woke reviewers not angry incels.

There is already a huge discrepancy between "top critics" of the tomatometer and "all critics"

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/2A5EgIB.png[/I]
    Wonder Woman was 93 (90 top)critics vs. 88 audience. "Trolls" and "incels" didn’t seem to affect Wonder Woman at all. If they try to make that excuse for Captain Marvel, I’m gonna lmao.

https://i.imgur.com/2A5EgIB.png
    It's also really strange how they classify what fresh and rotten are. There are several reviews that give it a 2/4, and a negative sentence is tied to that score, but the rating has been an mix fresh or rotten. How can that score be fresh and rotten at the same time? I really don't understand how that site works.

Not since Black Panther has their been a ground breaking film like Captain Marvel. Finally the MCU has a strong female lead to show to the fans, I look forward to her taking center stage in Avengers End Game. As well as the many sequels that Captain Marvel will have.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Wonder Woman was 93 (90 top)critics vs. 88 audience. "Trolls" and "incels" didn’t seem to affect Wonder Woman at all. If they try to make that excuse for Captain Marvel, I’m gonna lmao.
    Wonder Woman didn't have a controversy like Captain Marvel.

Nor do I understand why Wonder Woman is praised to the skies and back. If CM does a different job than WW, I'm bound to be happy. That scene with the glasses in WW made my eyes roll back so hard it tugged on my frontal lobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I love people. One person in a movie that hundreds of people created says something controversial - "Lets shit on everyones work because of that one person!!!".

Lovely.
    Indeed.

We're fast approaching a future where every piece of product will need a long manifesto on the personal opinions and politics of everyone involved.

I'm too lazy to do that much reading...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-03-06 at 02:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love people. One person in a movie that hundreds of people created says something controversial - "Lets shit on everyones work because of that one person!!!".

Lovely.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Most critics reviews I've seen are calling Brie bland and boring.
    Well Brie can be a bit boring but if you add some nice crackers then it can be quite good.

(I wasnt being serious with my comments)

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Wonder Woman didn't have a controversy like Captain Marvel.

Nor do I understand why Wonder Woman is praised to the skies and back. If CM does a different job than WW, I'm bound to be happy. That scene with the glasses in WW made my eyes roll back so hard it tugged on my frontal lobe.
    Wonder Woman definitely had its own controversies.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post

Lovely.
    They marketed the movie to be a feminist movie. So, it's not JUST what one person said.