Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Should PvP Have Time restricted sets?

As someone who spends a lot of time doing Transmog I realized the other day that pvpers get access to their own special sets/colorations that are only out for a limited time. I'm not exactly sure how that makes much sense when pve doesn't have the same restrictions outside of a few special cases. You can go back months/years down the line and farm up transmog from LFR to Mythic. The equivalent for PvE would be like Mythic sets/trasmog being unavailable after the next raid tier comes out. This doesn't really occur in pve, people who pvp can always go back and farm raid sets for t-mog so I'm just curious as to why people that partake in pvp get special sets that only they can get and only during a specific window.

Keep in mind I'm not demanding they change the system. It's just something I found curious after looking back through my collections and wondered if anyone else found it interesting/had had any thoughts.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggsy View Post
    I'm just curious as to why people that partake in pvp get special sets that only they can get.
    Everyone who does pvp can get it. If you want it, do pvp.

If pvpers want pve-gear they do pve.

Literally a non-issue.

It creates a "journey" of wanting the un/reachable.
    Thats all there is to it.
    It will be a day you will remember fondly...if you manage to aquire it.

I agree is frustrating when you cant get it but thats the cost of having a journey

It sucks realising you like a sets that's no longer obtainable.
    Not because you couldn't do them for the lack of skill, but lack of playing the game all the time.

For example I have the MoP CM set on my Paladin, but after creating monk main in WoD I honestly miss not finishing the CMs on my monk, even tho my monk didn't even exist back then.

I'll probly feel the same about Mage tower skins after I level up a new toon. But that's the fate of wow, you can't have everything without playing the game 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    time restricted rewards is a dangerous and unhealthy business strategy to keep addicted people constantly playing. good rewards should be hard to earn. please avoid this kind of corrupted ideas. also please spread the word if you want changes. if it makes them more money, it's even debatable.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think all PvP set appearances should be available for Marks of Honor, even the elite ones; hell, they could make them available the following expansion if they have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade2091 View Post
    I think all PvP set appearances should be available for Marks of Honor, even the elite ones; hell, they could make them available the following expansion if they have to.
    You are right. People deserve things that they have not worked for. Why not go a step further and make then purchasable with gold. That will show the community that Blizzard cares about effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

They should add a M+ set for each season. Should have three versions, like the PvP set does. Get them after completing all dungeons on +5, +10, +15 - in time of course.

I like the idea of time limited rewards. PvP isn’t exactly hard to get to 1800 for most classes/players, and it’s not much different from what we had with the Mage Tower. Main difference is PvP can’t be overgeared like the Mage Tower could.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    I disagree with that idea. Eventually it'll just be a set that's never seen again, for instance when was the last time you've ever seen anyone with this exact set? Last time I saw it was years ago, all this does is make gear that eventually becomes a forgotten memory.
    Its a design to keep the player happy with exclusivity and prestige that will follow him forever.

Is it worth for Blizzard to waste resources on models that only 1% of the population will use?
    Thats for you to decide

I think its an epic journey

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Everyone who does pvp can get it. If you want it, do pvp.

If pvpers want pve-gear they do pve.

Literally a non-issue.
    No, they are right. You have to be the top of the tier to get the elite PvP sets. You don't have to be top raiders to get the mythic sets. just wait until later when the content is trivial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    You are right. People deserve things that they have not worked for. Why not go a step further and make then purchasable with gold. That will show the community that Blizzard cares about effort.
    You mean like old PvE tier sets?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    No, they are right. You have to be the top of the tier to get the elite PvP sets. You don't have to be top raiders to get the mythic sets. just wait until later when the content is trivial.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like old PvE tier sets?
    Elite gear requires 1800 rating for the set. That’s not too terribly hard. You can even buy carries just like mythic raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Elite gear requires 1800 rating for the set. That’s not too terribly hard. You can even buy carries just like mythic raids.
    Hard enough that some people wont get there. The point is, there is a skill requirement for PvP that cannot be over come. Meanwhile, there isn't for the PvE sets that are not time sensitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I hate all kinds of time exclusive content in all games, because if forces me to structure my life around the game instead of the way more healthy other way around.

I unserstand the requirement to participate in content that is even worse than pet battles, but why I need to acquire a set then and there and not just whenever I deem it worthy to play at that rating is beyond me. Like with the saddles for example. But I'm sure the 3 people that actually still play PvP enjoy their set and can wank themselves silly in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggsy View Post
    As someone who spends a lot of time doing Transmog I realized the other day that pvpers get access to their own special sets/colorations that are only out for a limited time. I'm not exactly sure how that makes much sense when pve doesn't have the same restrictions outside of a few special cases. You can go back months/years down the line and farm up transmog from LFR to Mythic. The equivalent for PvE would be like Mythic sets/trasmog being unavailable after the next raid tier comes out. This doesn't really occur in pve, people who pvp can always go back and farm raid sets for t-mog so I'm just curious as to why people that partake in pvp get special sets that only they can get and only during a specific window.

Keep in mind I'm not demanding they change the system. It's just something I found curious after looking back through my collections and wondered if anyone else found it interesting/had had any thoughts.
    Well, In Pvm the newer sets still require some level of skill to acquire. But the pvp sets have always been gated, as well as titles and mounts. It's too late to change that, and doing so would alienate a lot of people.

It's a difficult one. Most of the people that want the top Elite set as exclusives to show off, will then be in the current elite sets to show them off instead. While it means these older sets are exclusive to them, the reality is that they just disappear into obscurity as so few people will ever use them.

Progression is the heart of MMOs and part of that means that the top gear that's hardest to get will always get more trivial and easier over time, while new top gear is added for those at the top. So are time limited items so great and exclusive because of the achievement or because they're unavailable now? Are they just a ploy to force people to keep subbed rather than doing the tasks later?

As a compromise I think the Elite sets from the previous expansions should be available, but you can only buy (or mog?) them while your level is over 1800.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hell nah, time-restricted content in a game sucks.

I never understood that that disparity either. Either make both obtainable or unobtainable, this wishy washy stance is just unfair.

Personally I think all gear and item should only be obtainable during the time they are relevant, even down to lfr stuff. Would make a good reason for people to play and farm during content they think looks good instead of just waiting an exp and getting it way easier.

Thats fine with me. There should be rewards for skill. Not just for grinding.

The system is good as it is

Hard enough that some people wont get there. The point is, there is a skill requirement for PvP that cannot be over come. Meanwhile, there isn't for the PvE sets that are not time sensitive.
    Agreed. They are still obtainable though, even by people that just look for Yolo RBGs. I do enjoy limited time items, but think it should be reserved for things like Mage Tower. I can also agree with people that maybe, MAYBE, PvE sets could be limited time as well. Maybe make those sets at Heroic though, as I don’t think 1800 in PvP equates to mythic raiding.