Poll: "DM" Stands for...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just DM? Dead Mines.
    for Diremaul you'd specify which one.

That said, I think it boils down to EU/US. I know people who played on US in vanilla who used VC for Dead Mines, but on EU I never heard VC

DM = Deadmines
    DM:N = Dire Maul North (each wing following suit)

VC is Deadmines.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

VC is Deadmines
    DM is Dire Maul

Anyone who calls deadmines DM is wrong and will be corrected.

I played alliance from vanilla launch day until hitting 60 specifically by grinding Dire Maul lashers right after the instance was released. And in all my time playing and levelling before Dire Maul even existed, I never saw a single person on my server call Deadmines DM. It was ALWAYS "LFM VC" or "Need tank VC run". Maybe it was based on your server or region, no idea. But on mine, from literal day 1, Deadmines runs were called VC runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only heard of "VC" post-vanilla, and most of the time by NA players (same with NA players writing H or HM instead of HC). To me and my realmS back then DM only meant Deadmines. You never abbreviate for the boss name, VC is stupid. Just like playing Horde in vanilla is ayy lamo.

Seriously though, just write DM for Deadmines and DM + direction for Dire Maul and everybody understands. I even saw some people refer to Dire Maul as DiM but that was kind of rare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by siskokid21 View Post
    VC is Deadmines
    DM is Dire Maul

Anyone who calls deadmines DM is wrong and will be corrected.
    You're wrong, travel back to 2005 and face me outside of IF. I'll be waiting.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I never called Deadmines DM and I played alliance from day 1 11/23. DM for us was Dire Maul

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BHD View Post
    You're wrong, travel back to 2005 and face me outside of IF. I'll be waiting.
    Wow released in 2004, so you're a year (or a couple months depending what month) late...

Deadmines was VC for VanCleef.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orochimaru22 View Post
    Madara Uciha?
    Douchiha Madara didn't play WoW, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Wow released in 2004, so you're a year (or a couple months depending what month) late...
    I'm from Europe. It released in 2005 here.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by BHD View Post

I'm from Europe. It released in 2005 here.
    Ah that'll do it. Sorry about that then. I realize there's a lot of non-US'rs on the forums and completely forgot it released that late for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Ah that'll do it. Sorry about that then. I realize there's a lot of non-US'rs on the forums and completely forgot it released that late for you.
    No worries, no one has a perfect memory.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    DM = Deadmines
    VC = Deadmines with only VC left or focus on the quests
    DM East, north etc = Dire Maul

Not that hard, really.
    DM = Dire Maul
    VC = Deadmines

Not that hard, really.
    You come from the greatest country in the world. Act like it.

DM= Deadmines
    DM= Dire Maul

Just depends on your level.

You know what I kind of wonder in hindsight? WHY did we call Deadmines VC anyway? When vanilla released there was no Dire Maul, so it wasn't to avoid confusing them. And most other dungeons were abbreviated based on their name, like SFK, SM, Gnomer, RFK etc. Can't think of another example where we used anything other than a shortening of the name, but in NA it seems VC stuck instead of DM, no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam-OC View Post
    DM = Dire Maul
    VC = Deadmines

Not that hard, really.
    Well, since the vast majority of players say DM for Deadmines.. I guess you're wrong =(

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Well, since the vast majority of players say DM for Deadmines.. I guess you're wrong =(
    The poll states otherwise; Dire Maul is actually quite ahead right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam-OC View Post
    DM = Dire Maul
    VC = Deadmines

Not that hard, really.
    This is what it was while I was playing on Magtheridon for Alliance. Also what it was referred to when I played Horde on Ursin, but that was back when the Horde didn't really run Deadmines at all because there was no content there for them other than the dungeon itself, similar to Wailing Caverns for Alliance players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    The poll states otherwise; Dire Maul is actually quite ahead right now.

This is what it was while I was playing on Magtheridon for Alliance. Also what it was referred to when I played Horde on Ursin, but that was back when the Horde didn't really run Deadmines at all because there was no content there for them other than the dungeon itself, similar to Wailing Caverns for Alliance players.
    The poll is for Dire maul and Deadmines were almost half still voted Deadmines. A poll with DM vs VC would be completely dominated by DM over VC.

7+ Year Old Account
    Normally Deadmines was just call Deadmines, while Dire Maul was with the DM-east/west etc.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

To the Horde the existence of Deadmines was of no importance in classic as far as I remember. I think I went there the first time when carrying a buddy's alt through there after I already cleared MC.

So DM was definitely Dire Maul for the people around me.

Quote Originally Posted by v1perz53 View Post
    You know what I kind of wonder in hindsight? WHY did we call Deadmines VC anyway? When vanilla released there was no Dire Maul, so it wasn't to avoid confusing them. And most other dungeons were abbreviated based on their name, like SFK, SM, Gnomer, RFK etc. Can't think of another example where we used anything other than a shortening of the name, but in NA it seems VC stuck instead of DM, no idea why.
    If I had to guess these abbreviations only started to really become a thing later in vanilla. Keep in mind that Dire Maul only released like a month or so after vanilla launched in NA (it was released on day 1 for EU players).

That being said though, the first time I ever heard about "VC" was on private servers, I only ever remember deadmines as DM and Dire Maul as DM:E DM:W DM:N