Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

You have been milked at least 2236$

Today I realised it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    Seeing how high the total cost is it starts to feel like a scam, no game is worth 2236$. We really should get more with the money we have paid.
    Last edited by ryjkur; 2019-03-23 at 08:31 AM.

15 years of entertaintment for 2236 $ doesn't sound too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    15 years of entertaintment for 2236 $ doesn't sound too bad
    But then you remember you can buy games for 60$ and enjoy them for 10 years or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    I realised today it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    Seeing how high the total cost is it starts to feel like a scam, no game is worth 2236$. We really should get more with the money we have paid.
    No house is worth half a million dollars...
    No car is worth more than 20 grand...
    No wall is worth five million...

Yet plenty of people are lining up for those.

$2.5 grand over the course of fifteen years is nothing compared to those.

But then you remember you can buy games for 60$ and enjoy them for 10 years or so.
    Name one game you bought fifteen years ago that you still actively play every day.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

lets pretend that you play wow for 30 minutes a day.

30 minutes x 30 days x 172 months / 60 minutes = 2580 hours of entertainment/$2236 = $1.16 per hour.

if you go to a movie that movie will cost you somewhere around $10/hour.

clearly wow costs too much

a fun tip: $1.16 is how much you pay no matter how long youve played, if you play 30 minutes a day/3.5 hours a week/16 hours a month
    Last edited by apples; 2019-03-23 at 08:37 AM.

Yeah... most people can't play the same non-updating game for ten years without getting pretty bored of it... They might play it occasionally over that period, but they will want other games as well.

Today I realised it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    I'm not exactly sure what value you expect. Do you realize what other forms of entertainment boil down to? A movie? A night at the club? Heck, even some random AAA video game that you play through twice.

This is FIFTEEN YEARS we are talking about.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you for real?

People who smoke or drink spend WAY more than that... what do they get? sick or nothing.

You get to play the best game of a kind.

This is how the world works, you pay a small fee for things, but when they stack over the years it is a lot indeed.
    Besides, WoW doesn´t even cost that much compared to nearly any other activity where you pay a fee.. You pay 12/13 Euro a month (expansion included there), that is 55 euro / 24 (expansions are lasting 2 years), plus the monthly fee (you can pay for more months then it is 10 euro a month).

Good luck finding any other activity, sport, game, etc, any cheaper. (I am talking about fee based services and activities, obviously).

I have never bought a $60 game and played it for 10 years. I have never payed $60 for a game and enjoyed it for longer than 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post

Name one game you bought fifteen years ago that you still actively play every day.

CS 1.6 and CS:GO together cost me less than 60$ and i've played first 1.6 and then CS:GO for more than 10 years in a row

i think i played 1.6 alone for more than 10 years straight and CS:GO is closing in on 7 years

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I have never bought a $60 game and played it for 10 years. I have never payed $60 for a game and enjoyed it for longer than 2 years.
    Even if you play 60$ game for 1 year it's still way cheaper.

Well then if you feel scammed just quit. I find 13 euros/month pretty neat for the entertainment I get. If I didn't, I would have quitted too. How tough is it for you people?

I'll take wow for 2236$ over ~40 60$ games anytime.
    in 15 years there's 180 months, that means I'd have to be entertained by one game for over 4 months, no 60$ game has been able to keep me entertained for that long

As someone who has been subbed to WoW Since the EU Release - I can confirm that all that money spendt is money well spendt. The entirety of Classic, TBC, WoTLK, MoP and Legion was a joy ride. Cata har a terrible start and end but a hella decent middle. WoD just allowed me to stack gold and gold can be made into game time so that's makes up for it. I'd argue that only the sub after BFA's first month has been that sub money wasted in any way-shape or form.

Over the past 15 years I can on both hands count all "Full price" games that was WORTH it's money and gave me as much enjoyment as I got out of WoW:

Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc, Dark Souls 1-3, Warhammer End Times Vermintide 1 and 2, Breath of the Wild, God of War 2018 and The Witcher 3.

There are of course games that cost less than the 60$ mark / which was free which was worth my money like Age of Empires 2, Blade and Soul and Hollow Knight but in all honestly with the majority of games I've bought and played over the years; Nothing has come close to the amount of enjoyment brought out of price to moment ratio which WoW has given me.

I'm sure you are just saying this in a blind fit of rage over BFA or you just wanted to troll and start a forum war but in all honesty if you can sit here and tell me that you've been subbed to WoW since release (Which it looks like since you said "We really should get more with the money we have paid." after mentioning how long WoW has been going for, if you have not been subbed since the period of time you mentioned please change that "We" to a "You folks" or something - Miss-leading much?) and think all that money spendt is wasted just now; Then you are rather very blind or have just decided to ignore prior years of good game quality just for the sake of being mad at BFA.

Or if you hated earlier WoW too then... Why the heck did you stay subbed?
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Meta View Post
    Cata har a terrible start and end but a hella decent middle.
    how was Cata start terrible? it was amazing

$14.99/month is such a trivial amount of money that I often forget that I'm even paying a sub at all. I genuinely can't find common ground on threads like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    CS 1.6 and CS:GO together cost me less than 60$ and i've played first 1.6 and then CS:GO for more than 10 years in a row

i think i played 1.6 alone for more than 10 years straight and CS:GO is closing in on 7 years
    Congratulations on being in the minority. Point still stands that, outliers aside, WoW is still cheaper than pretty much anything else. 2-3 $60 games a year = One year of WoW. Not disagreeing with you, just pointing that out.

Hell, WoW keeps my spending in check. Tried to back out because I disagree with certain aspects of the current gaming model (Fuck "Live" service gaming,) and I wound up buying Pokemon Eevee, Xenoblade Chronicles2, and XC2 DLC in the span of a month. I can't afford to spend my money all willy-nilly like that. Started playing again while my sub finishes it's last month and I stopped buying things. Need to fill the gap or I'll go broke, so I'll probably stay subbed but avoid all other "Live" games.

And, on top of all of that, I have the Pokemon bug again for the first time since first gen. So now I have to deal with that too.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2019-03-23 at 08:58 AM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Even if you play 60$ game for 1 year it's still way cheaper.
    There are very, very VERY few 60$ games that could legitimately keep you occupied for even 2 months, let alone a full year. Other than shooters like Counterstrike or massively moddable open world games like Skyrim, most 60$ games are the kind of thing you buy, play through in a month, and then never touch again except for the odd time when you dust the game off in a fit of nostalgia and play it for a few days before forgetting about it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a meer fraction of that same 172 months you could have easily spent that much on beer, pizza or any other recreational pasttime... are those also scams? Of course not, each is an example of someone making a choice on how to spend both their time, and their entertainment funds.

If you are feeling 'scammed' then why are you still paying? If you aren't still paying then you aren't being 'scammed'.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2019-03-23 at 09:04 AM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Except when WoW token were introduced. Then I was just playing using some other fool's money.