Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    play the game first imo since it will be a noob trio jumping around (no offense we all been there) and if fighting over gear is your only problem I can understand why you guys roll trolls, how about the others you do dungeons/raids with?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    I wasn't on a crappy server then? Boulderfist was High pop for a long time with not only the best PVP community (Most HWLs produced), but good and constant groups. I also played Warrior and Priest so I got whispers often to join. Only time I ever grinded was in the late 40s when the only dungeons are ST and ZF (spent most of my time in front of ZF grinding out the trolls in front while looking for groups). Did so again at 55+ in Un'goro and Winterspring. I started in January of 2005.
    You have a other experience as me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Shaman might be better just because there will be less competition for cloth drops with the mage. Although squabbling over gear is probably not going to be as common anyway if you're playing with friends.
    Either way you're going to be better off loot wise if they aren't sharing drops. You're going to be sharding all that mail gear that drops unless you're also running with a hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo123 View Post
    Hi everyone ! Me and 2 of my friends are going to Play together Classic Wow. We absolutely don‘t want to Speed levelling, just having fun and questing/instancing.
    First of all, we want to play 3 trolls (Cause RP and fun about this crazy race)
    One Wants to Play war, good Point for us. I want to play Mage.

My other friend is hesitating : priest or chaman...
    War + priest + mage ?
    Or War + chaman + mage ?

We want to avoid fighting between us about gear (priest vs mage), but maybe chaman is too short about healing for instances.
    Shaman and a mage will definitely with each other for gear anyways. But for a small group PvE shaman is better anyways, since he can has tools to control combat (poor mans static charge totem stoneclaw totem, healing, frost/earth shock, str/agi buff)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amazingmace View Post
    After level 40, the gear no longer needs to be shared between Rogue and Shaman as they are given the proficiency to wear mail items, and once shaman hits level 52 the end-game push to 60 should prove as a very fast one due to Windfury Totem having a huge impact on the damage of Rogue and Warrior.
    That's not true, shamans will still want leather gear. The reason why rogue and shaman won't share leather is that shamans don't need agility to begin with, unless you cheese as melee
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You can buy water, it's not a problem. Problem is keeping the pace - if you have to drink after 2 mobs it's not gonna be very effective.
    I'm kinda super confused now and I think we must simply be talking about different things.

In my version of events the Shaman drops WF totem and the warrior (and shammy) jibs things in one or two swings and the mage gets upset because he doesn't have time to finish casting Frostbolt. Because mobs die so fast theres gonna be bugger all healing to do and the damage output of an Arms warrior with WF when levelling is gonna be so gross against non elite mobs that the other two can probably watch netflix and let the warrior do all the damage and it won't make a marked difference to the speed stuff dies. No one is really gonna have to drink and if they ever did they can spam water drinking because it's free, I only mentioned it because you mentioned Mp5 gear.

I guess what I mean is "I really don't see how "handling the healing" is gonna be the limiting factor in levelling because there's frankly so few cases where healing is even required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Warr+Mage+Shammy if you push instances , to not compete for gear but priest is always a way better healer.

War Mage and Priest i think its the ultimate combo thou , you have it all best tank , best healer and one of the top DPS with great CC

15+ Year Old Account
    I would go for priest. You will not fight over gear with your mage friend, especially if you intend to heal once you hit 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Shaman and a mage will definitely with each other for gear anyways. But for a small group PvE shaman is better anyways, since he can has tools to control combat (poor mans static charge totem stoneclaw totem, healing, frost/earth shock, str/agi buff)
    Shaman also gets reincarnation (although I don't remember at what level), which combined with their ability to do a regular rez, can be a godsend for wipe recovery - and in vanilla you're going do want wipe recovery, in remote parts of the open world and in dungeons as much as raids.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Shaman also gets reincarnation (although I don't remember at what level), which combined with their ability to do a regular rez, can be a godsend for wipe recovery - and in vanilla you're going do want wipe recovery, in remote parts of the open world and in dungeons as much as raids.
    Unless you die on a patrol route or on a spawn point, then it's a bummer
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Unless you die on a patrol route or on a spawn point, then it's a bummer
    That's why being able to judge when a pull has gone completely south and you're going to wipe and either being positioned appropriately with the pull, and/or being able to keep yourself alive until you can get to a safe spot to rez becomes an important skill for your healer (or other rezzer) to have. I never played shammy in the old days, but I did play a priest with a soulstone a lot - and the "keep wipe recovery as a possibility" routine is the same regardless of whether you're self-rezzing or using your soulstone. That is one thing I'm looking forward to with classic - the return of all those little RPG-flavored facets of the game that were smoothed away by successive Blizzard pruning; marking targets, crowd control, pulling, mana management, consumables (and not just for a food buff and a flask), the situational awareness required by pats (does the current game even have pats that are relevant?), kiting, emergency off-healing or off-tanking, aggro management... so much has been sanded away over the years.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    That is one thing I'm looking forward to with classic - the return of all those little RPG-flavored facets of the game that were smoothed away by successive Blizzard pruning; marking targets, crowd control, pulling, mana management, consumables (and not just for a food buff and a flask), the situational awareness required by pats (does the current game even have pats that are relevant?), kiting, emergency off-healing or off-tanking, aggro management... so much has been sanded away over the years.
    How wipe-recovery is a RPG-flavored facet of the game? Or marking targets? (which is still in the game and usable) Or pulling? (which is still in the game and important) Or mana management? (granted you play a healer or an arcane mage). Other things you've mentioned are also still in the game, except if you don't fuck everything up you won't need to taunt a slime off your mage as an arms warrior. Or you won't need to drop a cat form off to spam healing into a tank, because healer got stunned for 30 seconds underbog underrot

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior with a pocket healer will be almost unstoppable! I'd lean towards Shaman for the Windfury buffs...let the carnage commence

Why it's so hard for you to understand the fact, that they will enjoy leveling and be first realm 60 is not a goal, but something.... you don't expect from game...
    something what you apparently forget....
    FUN???

but back to topic:
    If you like leveling, then have tank/heal/dps settup and u will fine. Create a group for 5man will be super easy, you can do elite quests without problem.
    Keep in mind things like:
    - if you want to aim on aoe kills or single target
    - competition in gearing
    - it's nice to have similar speed (everybody is slow - war, priest, mage or everybody has movement lika druid, shaman, hunter - but they compete in leather )
    - class buffs support each other

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus of Borg View Post
    I would go for priest. You will not fight over gear with your mage friend, especially if you intend to heal once you hit 60.

They won't "fight" over gear but they're going to have to split all the cloth drops between them, meanwhile all the mail and leather will go to waste. That's why Shaman is the better choice. They can wear Int Mail and Int Leather, and the mage can take all the cloth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    They won't "fight" over gear but they're going to have to split all the cloth drops between them, meanwhile all the mail and leather will go to waste. That's why Shaman is the better choice. They can wear Int Mail and Int Leather, and the mage can take all the cloth.
    I agree with you that some gear will go to waste, but I disagree that they'll have to split cloth, because mage will never take mp5 or spirit cloth gear over priest, and priest won't take hit gear over mage.

Both classes have it's pros and cons, and at the end of the day it depends on what kind of content they plan to do once they get to 60.

My personal preference would be priest, since I consider it overall more useful.

Shaman/Mage/Warrior. Warrior benefits significantly more from totems than Fort.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm kinda super confused now and I think we must simply be talking about different things.

In my version of events the Shaman drops WF totem and the warrior (and shammy) jibs things in one or two swings and the mage gets upset because he doesn't have time to finish casting Frostbolt. Because mobs die so fast theres gonna be bugger all healing to do and the damage output of an Arms warrior with WF when levelling is gonna be so gross against non elite mobs that the other two can probably watch netflix and let the warrior do all the damage and it won't make a marked difference to the speed stuff dies. No one is really gonna have to drink and if they ever did they can spam water drinking because it's free, I only mentioned it because you mentioned Mp5 gear.

I guess what I mean is "I really don't see how "handling the healing" is gonna be the limiting factor in levelling because there's frankly so few cases where healing is even required.
    Who on earth would pull one mob at a time with three people in a group? The more likely scenario is the frost mage pulls the whole area and kites it around while the war and shammy help focus mobs down a bit faster.

More likely the other two are going to have a bad time when the mage hits - 35 I think it is? - and starts soloing Mara slime packs for massive gold and xp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Who on earth would pull one mob at a time with three people in a group? The more likely scenario is the frost mage pulls the whole area and kites it around while the war and shammy help focus mobs down a bit faster.

More likely the other two are going to have a bad time when the mage hits - 35 I think it is? - and starts soloing Mara slime packs for massive gold and xp.
    Fair enough.

I didn't mean to suggest necessarily that they'd only be pulling one mob at a time; it's just that apart from a few select areas I'd have thought mob density wasn't high enough that you couldn't kill mobs faster than you could pull them together. As in - by the time you've pulled, say, 8 mobs and grouped them up the first 4 are already dead sort of thing. Maybe there are more areas where the density is plenty high enough. The "AoE farm with focus" would apply earlier (Like the window between blizzard getting the proper slow talents and the shaman getting access to WF totem). But having never levelled a mage I'll concede that may well be the best way all the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.