The Stormlands was, in terms of land and vassal houses, probably the smallest of the Seven Kingdoms. The Iron Islands are smaller, but they're technically not one of the 7.

Plus, it was the Kingdom probably still most loyal to the Targaryens, as Dragonstone used to be their seat. Robert may have been seen as a Usurper there as well. In the books, after he takes the throne, Stannis has to then go separately to quell the Stormlands and take Dragonstone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Stormlands was, in terms of land and vassal houses, probably the smallest of the Seven Kingdoms. The Iron Islands are smaller, but they're technically not one of the 7.

Plus, it was the Kingdom probably still most loyal to the Targaryens, as Dragonstone used to be their seat. Robert may have been seen as a Usurper there as well. In the books, after he takes the throne, Stannis has to then go separately to quell the Stormlands and take Dragonstone.
    Dragonstone is in the Crownlands, not the Stormlands. Storm's End was the seat of House Baratheon, the ruling house of the Stormlands. A few bannermen were loyal to the Targs, but Robert crushed them at Summerhall. Stannis did not have to take Storm's End, he was besieged in Storm's End. By Mace Tyrell, a Targaryen loyalist at that time. Tyrell lifted the siege when Eddard Stark arrived with his army. Then Stannis was sent to take Dragonstone from the few remaining Targaryen forces left.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Man, I need to re-read these books, its all blending together. The Crownlands aren't an OG Kingdom, though, they were created by Aegon, most of that land coming from the Storm Lands and the Riverlands. And Stannis did take Dragonstone, I just mistook it as part of the Stormlands (which it was part of, before Aegon the Conqueror) and its seat. I didn't mention anything about the siege of Storm's End. Nevertheless, King's Landing, Dragonstone, etc, all that land used to be Baratheon, then became Targ under Targ rule, and it would stand to reason there's divided loyalties in that land.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    There are a few things I'd like in the show that were skipped, but overall, I'm glad they skipped them. GRRM created too much crap in books 4 and 5 (and in my opinion is why we have no further editions, he's created so much extra crap and he is stuck).

Anyway, I just hate when people hate on the show, when it is fantastically written when it passed the books. I agree the dialogue suffers in places, but it's still the greatest show that ever was.
    It turned into an absolute shitfest the moment it passed the books. In fact, the moment it started getting close to the point of time the books are stuck at. Cutting huge plotlines that they've been spending a LOT of time on developing within one episode (or one short scene, as with Dorne), and doing it in such a fashion that they absolutely butchered the characters, creating big plotholes (Littlefinger's constant teleportation, for one), fancatering - anything a show could do wrong, GoT did. Yes, they pumped a lot of money into it, and it really shows, but even infinite amount of money will never replace good writing, which is what GoT did not have once it has gone over the books material. GRRM might have guided the writers, but it's clear he doesn't give a fly about what they do with the show. Knowing him, he was trolling the writers by greenlighting their idiotic ideas.
    GoT (arguably) used to be the greatest show that ever was while it sticked to the source material, but that was in the period when it was pretty much a political talk show with some action mixed in between. The last 2 seasons were horrendous, and the only thing it takes to discover it is some critical thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That's Robert's tragedy. He was not a bad man, when you compare him with other characters, and was smart enough, but he was not cut out to be king. He hated it. He was a warrior, first of all, and more interested in battles and jousting. He didn't know what to do with the kingdom. He saw it as the spoils of war and made for his own pleasures: whoring and drinking. All the administration was left to the Hand and his Small Council, which he seldom attended. He was also unable to be advised, surrounded himself with flatterers and ousted those who did not agree.
    Yeah you're right. Robert danced that line of being out of the loop and left matters of ruling to his small council, but was quick to anger or fear. Like wanting to Kill Dany's baby asap even against neds wishes.

Always impressed by your knowledge of GOT Frontenac
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-04-13 at 05:28 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While rewatching S7 before S8, after all this time it just occurred to me that Jon Snow's Grandfather burnt Jon Snow's Grandfather Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    GoT (arguably) used to be the greatest show that ever was while it sticked to the source material, but that was in the period when it was pretty much a political talk show with some action mixed in between. The last 2 seasons were horrendous, and the only thing it takes to discover it is some critical thinking.
    It began falling apart as soon as it started entering A Feast for Crows territory, which is where the books really start falling apart as well.

Rewatching some of the series now. Season 1 is pretty good, 2 and 3 are some of the best TV ever. Season 1 would be as good as 2 and 3, but it's marred a bit by a lot of stupid "cheesy" scenes, like Little Finger grabbing Ned from behind and saying the dopey I TOLE U NOT TO TRUST ME LOL line.

Also, one of the biggest and most glaring plot holes of the entire series has always been the fact Robert didn't have Ned sign the letter in front of a large group of people and enstate Ned immediately as reagent then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Also, one of the biggest and most glaring plot holes of the entire series has always been the fact Robert didn't have Ned sign the letter in front of a large group of people and enstate Ned immediately as reagent then and there.
    Ned wouldn't have been able to remove Joffrey from the will or whatever his succession letter is called if it was in front of a lot of people.

Anyone have HBO as a standalone service? Was wondering if it worked like Netflix (aka can watch old episodes of GoT on demand) or if it's more like cable TV, streaming whatever is on at the moment. Would be signing up solely for last season of GoT.

Probably sounds like a dumb question but I've only had Netflix/PrimeVideo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Anyone have HBO as a standalone service? Was wondering if it worked like Netflix (aka can watch old episodes of GoT on demand) or if it's more like cable TV, streaming whatever is on at the moment. Would be signing up solely for last season of GoT.

HBO has a service like that. Their online site is at hbogo.com.

I have HBO GO, and I've been using it to catch up on all the old series. It's not just a streaming site for the current season. I assume HBO Now is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    HBO has a service like that. Their online site is at hbogo.com.
    I have HBO GO, and I've been using it to catch up on all the old series. It's not just a streaming site for the current season. I assume HBO Now is similar.
    Thank you. Was confused about the differences between HBO/HBO Now/HBO Go, etc. Looks like if you log into HBO it auto-directs you to HBO Now on your laptop.

Off to re-visit some old episodes before the final season premiere, happy GoT weekend to you all.

HBO GO is intended for people with a cable subscription to HBO to use on their computer or mobile devices away from their home.

HBO Now is a standalone subscription.

HBO GO is intended for people with a cable subscription to HBO to use on their computer or mobile devices away from their home.

HBO Now is a standalone subscription.
    Yeah, figured it out. I don't have cable or a TV (been thinking about getting one but am really resistant, have never owned one before and trying to limit my screen time, I have floor to ceiling bookshelves instead) so I signed up for HBO Now.

Thank you. Was confused about the differences between HBO/HBO Now/HBO Go, etc. Looks like if you log into HBO it auto-directs you to HBO Now on your laptop.
    HBO NOW is their on-demand streaming served, HBO GO is some shitty weird stupid garbage that lets you watch HBO on tablets and smart phones, etc. if you have an HBO subscription. They royally pissed a ton of us off back a few year ago when they came out with GO because everyone expected it to be a typical streaming service, but it wasn't. Their fucking loss, considering I pirated the first 4 seasons of the show instead of, you know, paying HBO for them. Took them awhile to get their shit together and release a proper streaming platform, because god forbid HBO put their four good shows and then their endless supply of forgettable/shit ones on Netflix or something. That would require not being egotistical about your dying network that a couple of lucky hits are keeping afloat.

- - - Updated - - -

(been thinking about getting one but am really resistant, have never owned one before and trying to limit my screen time, I have floor to ceiling bookshelves instead)
    Yeah yeah we get it tv bad book good you fuckin nerd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
    Ned wouldn't have been able to remove Joffrey from the will or whatever his succession letter is called if it was in front of a lot of people.
    Whether Ned could've eventually done that or not isn't the point, the point is that Ned couldn't act quick enough to get power because literally all he had was a note signed by Robert that happened in a SUPER SECRET NO GIRLS ALLOWED111 meeting between Ned and Robert.

If Robert had named Ned his reagent in front of enough people, Cersei and Littlefinger would have had a much harder time with their hostile takeover plan; something Robert really should've known would happen. This has lead to wild fan speculation that Robert was somehow being mind controlled by Blood Raven or the wine had some kind of drug in it to make Robert act stupidly; when in fact the truly most likely reason was that George R. R. Martin just wrote a dumb plothole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I need to re-read these books, its all blending together. The Crownlands aren't an OG Kingdom, though, they were created by Aegon, most of that land coming from the Storm Lands and the Riverlands. And Stannis did take Dragonstone, I just mistook it as part of the Stormlands (which it was part of, before Aegon the Conqueror) and its seat. I didn't mention anything about the siege of Storm's End. Nevertheless, King's Landing, Dragonstone, etc, all that land used to be Baratheon, then became Targ under Targ rule, and it would stand to reason there's divided loyalties in that land.
    I hate to be that guy, but Dragonstone never was a Baratheon island and neither was it part of the Stormlands. They were technically part of the Valyrian Freehold before the Doom. The Targaryens moved there when another Daenerys Targaryen had a vision about the destruction of Valyria. Some generations after, Aegon Targaryen was offered an alliance by Lord Durandon, ruler of the Stormland. Lord Durandon wanted his daughter to marry Aegon. Aegon refused, but offered that a Targaryen bastard, named Baratheon (I don't remember the first name) to marry Durandon's daughter instead (or was it his sister?). Anyway, Durandon was incensed and sent back the severed hands of the two emissaries. Aegon declared war on the Stormlands and managed to make a good chunk of land for himself, the other part coming from what are now the Riverlands. These lands became the Crownlands. Eventually, the Durandon woman did marry the bastard Baratheon who took the sigil and the words of House Durandon for his own house (and its castle, of course). Therefore, Dragonstone has always been a Targaryen possession and is part of the Crownlands.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Whether Ned could've eventually done that or not isn't the point, the point is that Ned couldn't act quick enough to get power because literally all he had was a note signed by Robert that happened in a SUPER SECRET NO GIRLS ALLOWED111 meeting between Ned and Robert.

If Robert had named Ned his reagent in front of enough people, Cersei and Littlefinger would have had a much harder time with their hostile takeover plan; something Robert really should've known would happen. This has lead to wild fan speculation that Robert was somehow being mind controlled by Blood Raven or the wine had some kind of drug in it to make Robert act stupidly; when in fact the truly most likely reason was that George R. R. Martin just wrote a dumb plothole.
    Sorry, I didn't realize what I was walking into. /smh

This recap was helpful for me. Almost an hour.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize what I was walking into. /smh
    Was this some attempt to sound snarky/smart or something lol.

boo hoo i cant make comments in a discussion without people commenting back smh

I set my expectations really straight for this one. I'll get dialogue depth, character development, and continuity in the books.

In the show, fuck the dialogue, fuck the characters, and fuck the queenS, just give me an epic, memorable battle that will rival the LotR ones.

I want the Cleganebowl, I want a 6hour long battle, full of extreme feats, 4 decapitations with one cleave, frenzy charges, shit being wrecked up, some Bran superpowers, Dragons shooting flames at each other DBZ style.

Can't wait!