Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    (I'm not a huge fan of HDR as it merely supersaturates parts of the picture and desaturates neighboring parts)
    Signed, someone with a shoddy HDR display.

Granted some games have better HDR implementation then others it is almost always a massive visual upgrade on a quality display.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just the SSD would be worth $550.
    SSD prices getting cheaper and cheaper, wouldn't be surprised at by the time you have a PS5+ (like... 2023) a 3tb SSD would be 100 bucks or under.

I remember when a 1tb hdd was a whole paycheck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    SSD prices getting cheaper and cheaper, wouldn't be surprised at by the time you have a PS5+ (like... 2023) a 3tb SSD would be 100 bucks or under.

I remember when a 1tb hdd was a whole paycheck.
    You're kinda hopeful when 3TB HDDs are still $80+ after so long. It'll be cheaper but I'd imagine it more around 8c to 10c per GB for a cheap QLC NVMe at 3TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You're kinda hopeful when 3TB HDDs are still $80+ after so long.
    There's an eventual floor, the materials that go into them still cost money. I mean, 80 bucks for a 3tb now when it used to be a pipe dream to even afford a 1TB isn't bad at all

Tbf, wow:bfa doesn't give most people much satisfaction. It's kind of shit.

Glad you liked those games, I really have nothing against that, I personally didn't like either, though I didn't get a lot of time with gow, just felt like it was missing something the old games had
    You didn't like the new god of war? That's odd. You said you didn't get a lot of time with it. How much did you play it? You may like it if you play the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    You didn't like the new god of war? That's odd. You said you didn't get a lot of time with it. How much did you play it? You may like it if you play the entire game.
    I only got to play it at a friends, so only a couple of hours. But I was hooked on GoW 1 after like 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Signed, someone with a shoddy HDR display.

Granted some games have better HDR implementation then others it is almost always a massive visual upgrade on a quality display.
    Horizon on PS4 Pro with a good HDR display looks amazing. A lot of games have really bad HDR, but the good ones are are quite extraordinary. IMO, good HDR implementation is necessary for next gen gaming, because it is such a huge upgrade to the visuals when done right.

- - - Updated - - -

I only got to play it at a friends, so only a couple of hours. But I was hooked on GoW 1 after like 10 minutes.
    Ah, okay. Well I would recommend giving it a longer go if you get the chance. It isn't the greatest game ever made imo, but it is a really good one and I think it has an almost universal appeal in a lot of ways, but to each their own. Particularly, it has a great story which really gets good(excellent character development), so that would be my top reason to see it through if I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

Lots of really cool details and small character development items in the game as well that keep it feeling really polished.

I'm not a big fan of the environmental puzzles in the game, but as I stated, it's not my goat or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Ah, okay. Well I would recommend giving it a longer go if you get the chance. It isn't the greatest game ever made imo, but it is a really good one and I think it has an almost universal appeal in a lot of ways, but to each their own. Particularly, it has a great story which really gets good(excellent character development), so that would be my top reason to see it through if I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

Lots of really cool details and small character development items in the game as well that keep it feeling really polished.

I'm not a big fan of the environmental puzzles in the game, but as I stated, it's not my goat or anything.
    I prefer game play over story, kind of the reason I didn't like Witcher 3, but if I run across it again I'll give it another shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an eventual floor, the materials that go into them still cost money. I mean, 80 bucks for a 3tb now when it used to be a pipe dream to even afford a 1TB isn't bad at all
    Well yeah, that's why it's odd you mention something that's exponentially more expensive to manufacture and research as something to approach an HDD.

Well yeah, that's why it's odd you mention something that's exponentially more expensive to manufacture and research as something to approach an HDD.
    Because manufacturing costs are where the prices drop eventually, as is research. Look how much ssd's themselves have already dropped.

I remember buying my first SSD... 120gig for 147 bucks, over a dollar a gig. It wouldn't be a surprise if in 4-7 years you're getting 3tb ssds for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because manufacturing costs are where the prices drop eventually, as is research. Look how much ssd's themselves have already dropped.

I remember buying my first SSD... 120gig for 147 bucks, over a dollar a gig. It wouldn't be a surprise if in 4-7 years you're getting 3tb ssds for that.
    Research cost will increase as fitting more bits per cell would get harder and harder. Price per gb will depend on the former. Price will go down but you're a bit too optimistic nor understand the difficulties of NANDs.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're kinda hopeful when 3TB HDDs are still $80+ after so long. It'll be cheaper but I'd imagine it more around 8c to 10c per GB for a cheap QLC NVMe at 3TB.
    Doubt they'll put an NVMe SSD in a console anytime soon, since they're still doing mechanical drives..

Research cost will increase as fitting more bits per cell would get harder and harder. Price per gb will depend on the former. Price will go down but you're a bit too optimistic nor understand the difficulties of NANDs.
    I think you're a bit too pessimistic and somehow think there won't be any breakthroughs in the next 4-7 years.

Hell, maybe ssd's themselves will get usurped by something else in that time. You can already get 1tb hdds for 120, under a 100 when on sale.

nvme isn't needed, we're just discussing regular old sata ssds.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Doubt they'll put an NVMe SSD in a console anytime soon, since they're still doing mechanical drives..
    The lead architect of the PS5 already confirmed it has an SSD and given his wording on it it's 100% NVMe even though he didn't directly say it.

Literally "what" would be the description of this post.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're a bit too pessimistic and somehow think there won't be any breakthroughs in the next 4-7 years.

Hell, maybe ssd's themselves will get usurped by something else in that time. You can already get 1tb hdds for 120, under a 100 when on sale.

nvme isn't needed, we're just discussing regular old sata ssds.
    What magical breakthrough might there be? I'm talking with what we know now and how we are currently progressing for NANDs. This means using smaller nodes, more layers and more bits per cell. All of em are pretty expensive to research. There are companies researching different types of NANDs (so to speak), but they're aimed at performance and persistent RAM, not for storage and quantity. I'm not being pessimistic or anything. I'm just basing it off trend and current/future technology. I'm saying it'll go down in price, but you're being extremely unrealistic.

Thing is if you're going to use the PS5 as the example you'll be comparing it to NVMe, if you want to compare it to SATA SSDs then that'd be a different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They are, Cerny already noted it'll have more bandwidth than current PCs, which would imply NVMe + PCIe 4.0.

What magical breakthrough might there be? I'm talking with what we know now and how we are currently progressing for NANDs. This means using smaller nodes, more layers and more bits per cell. All of em are pretty expensive to research. There are companies researching different types of NANDs (so to speak), but they're aimed at performance and persistent RAM, not for storage and quantity. I'm not being pessimistic or anything. I'm just basing it off trend and current/future technology. I'm saying it'll go down in price, but you're being extremely unrealistic.

Thing is if you're going to use the PS5 as the example you'll be comparing it to NVMe, if you want to compare it to SATA SSDs then that'd be a different thing.
    4-7 years is a LONG time in the tech world. You keep being pessimistic, doesn't bother me much.

They are, Cerny already noted it'll have more bandwidth than current PCs, which would imply NVMe + PCIe 4.0.
    Waste of money, sure sony itself might develop games that can load super fast under the new nvme/pcie 4, but most developers won't bother and just because the data transfers faster doesn't mean the game will load faster (look at any game currently under nvme, you're talking sub second difference)

10+ Year Old Account
    4-7 years is a LONG time in the tech world. You keep being pessimistic, doesn't bother me much.
    Okay. Really you should understand more about technology before saying crazy price targets.
    Waste of money, sure sony itself might develop games that can load super fast under the new nvme/pcie 4, but most developers won't bother and just because the data transfers faster doesn't mean the game will load faster (look at any game currently under nvme, you're talking sub second difference)
    Umm... who cares what you think on this matter? They want to put it in and so they will. They may be able to exploit the advantages of it or not, that doesn't matter what you think about it. You're also comparing apples to oranges with system integration.

Okay. Really you should understand more about technology before saying crazy price targets.

Umm... who cares what you think on this matter? They want to put it in and so they will. They may be able to exploit the advantages of it or not, that doesn't matter what you think about it.
    Raise the price of something for little to no benefit? All Xbox needs to do is sweep in with a 100 dollar less opening price, no anti-consumer practices like always online, and they take the US market.

Even with the issues xbox has had they're not really that far behind PS4 in the US market. And the EU market is definitely up in the air, I could seem them taking that too if the price is right.

Those are the two that matter, JP and Asia are peanuts comparatively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raise the price of something for little to no benefit? All Xbox needs to do is sweep in with a 100 dollar less opening price, no anti-consumer practices like always online, and they take the US market.

Even with the issues xbox has had they're not really that far behind PS4 in the US market.
    How do you know it has no benefit exactly? A console has better integration and has been shown time and time again they're able to better exploit hardware. They may actually be capable of using the full bandwidth of NVMe protocol, not bound by a single thread loading. Tight integration lets devs do some pretty cool stuff.

How do you know it has no benefit exactly? A console has better integration and has been shown time and time again they're able to better exploit hardware. They may actually be capable of using the full bandwidth of NVMe protocol, not bound by a single thread loading. Tight integration lets devs do some pretty cool stuff.
    Except, like I said, outside developers probably won't bother. They're not making exclusives, they have to think of how it works on not only PS5 but also Xbox WhateverTheFuck and possibly PC and the Nintendo NextGimmick.

In general development is bound the lowest denominator. Like how PC games STILL can't rely on being loaded off SSDs, they have to figure on the people still running HDDs only.