Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    ^ I see I've offended a millennial.

can't take the hard truth eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    ^ I see I've offended a millennial.

can't take the hard truth eh?
    So literally ignore all studies refuting what you've said because you're stubborn? That sounds a lot like older generations.

"they're in debt because they buy expensive stuff!"

Well actually they're in debt because they pay more for bills, more for school, and actually, don't buy expensive stuff because they have less money than previous generations... Previous generations spend more frivolous go on holiday and such, but millennials just can't.

"haha i must have angered a millennial!!!"

you have proven my point.

you have proven my point.
    Proven your point? Your point was a series of lies that are easily disproven.

You can't say they're nothing but a consumer materialistic generation who is in debt because they buy tons of shit when:

1. they're far less likely to even own credit cards
    2. they're in far more debt
    3. every study refutes this
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-05-10 at 04:04 PM.

ttttttriggered millennial!

Making a statement of facts that prove your point is utter bullshit means I am triggered?

The triggered one seems to me to be you.

You lost the argument, your argument was terrible and easily disproven because it was just all a series of lies or what you believe. I post one article linking to a number of studies on millennials and you say "angry, you triggered!!!!!!!" mmhm what does this mean for your argument have you now abandoned or are you just ignoring that and just saying I'm triggered?

You've lost the argument

You are confused, you did not prove a single thing.

Nice try though? I'm sure you will get your medal of participation so you don't feel upset.

Holy shit, I just realized by definition I'm right on the edge of being a millennial. I always thought I despised millennials (well, I do despise most people close to my age as well), but apparently I despise "post-millennials" even more. I always thought the trophy generation was millennials, but unless that came after I was already 18, I don't ever remember getting trophies if you didn't earn it.

You are confused, you did not prove a single thing.

Nice try though? I'm sure you will get your medal of participation so you don't feel upset.
    Most Millennials come into the workforce carrying a much heavier debt burden than past generations, thanks to the high cost of education. With a huge percentage of income being directed to student loans, Millennials are left with less of their paycheck to spend after paying for healthcare, utilities and groceries. As a result, they’re spending less on clothes, leisure, dining out and travel according to the Gallup poll.

A Bankrate study also found that Millennials are spending less on vacations and more on bills than previous generations. The average Millennial spends 15 percent more (or an extra $2300 annually) than older generations on food, gas and cell phone bills. The same study simultaneously found that they’re skimping on television, spending $50 less a month, and vacations, spending $1943 each year versus older Americans who spend more than $2600 a year. As the generation gets older, their bills will likely increase, leaving less for discretionary spending.
    This alone (plus the fact they're less likely to have credits cards) disproves your argument of rampant consumption

racking up debt buying shit they don't need and then complain how they cannot afford housing.
    Did you forget your first post?

1. Housing prices have far outpaced wages
    2. they rack up debt related to bills and school not things they don't need.

Studies done by retailers note the issues with trying to get gen y to actually buy things and the reason they typically don't has to do with lack of income and higher bills than prior generations.

You are confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Proven your point? Your point was a series of lies that are easily disproven.

You can't say they're nothing but a consumer materialistic generation who is in debt because they buy tons of shit when:

1. they're far less likely to even own credit cards
    2. they're in far more debt
    3. every study refutes this
    Unless the age ranges I pulled up for the generations are wrong (22-37 is millenial?), I don't think it's the generation that specifically falls into 1 and 2. I think almost everyone I know 30-37 has mortgages, car loans/leases and credit cards and by way of that, debt to varying degrees. Those that don't have shit jobs (can't afford those expenses), or made extremely horrible financial decisions in their 18-30 range and can't get those expenses. Most studies I've read say people in the 20's are less likely to have those things, but I also somewhat think there's more reasons to that than simply that age group.
    Last edited by alturic; 2019-05-10 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Holy shit, I just realized by definition I'm right on the edge of being a millennial. I always thought I despised millennials (well, I do despise most people close to my age as well), but apparently I despise "post-millennials" even more. I always thought the trophy generation was millennials, but unless that came after I was already 18, I don't ever remember getting trophies if you didn't earn it.
    This participation trophy shit gets assigned to millennials.. why?! It literally was birth in the 1960s due to the trophy industry ramping up and marketing to teachers and coaches to make more money. Participation trophies started in the 60s due to the industry trying to make more sales. Not as part of some "social" change. Which is why they have been and always remained seen as shit or not worth it and something to almost be ashamed of.

Oh I see, its just a thread to troll people. Carry on...

Millennials are the generation with the hardest workers and the laziest leeches. There is no in between. Most will become self-proclaimed victims stuck in the lower middle class, but the millennials who actually find success (despite the bad hand they’ve been dealt) are rising through the social heirarchy very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This participation trophy shit gets assigned to millennials.. why?! It literally was birth in the 1960s due to the trophy industry ramping up and marketing to teachers and coaches to make more money. Participation trophies started in the 60s due to the industry trying to make more sales. Not as part of some "social" change. Which is why they have been and always remained seen as shit or not worth it and something to almost be ashamed of.
    Uh, are you trying to say they were handing out participation trophies (as in the literal words, even though most people use that to mean a range of things) in 1981-~1990? I played multiple sports (peewee and then middle-school) in that time and no-one ever got trophies simply for participating?

Source: Me. Because my teams all sucked. LOL

Dude. I will be 35 in a few months. I am a millennial. I've been an adult for awhile. I buy miller light. I have plenty saved in both my bank account and IRAs. I put 20% down on my house. I like eating at chilis. I am at director-level positions in my career. Fuck the stereotype lol.

I think somewhere down the line "millennial" became synonymous with "young person who wears stupid clothes and takes pictures of every goddamn thing they eat" ... when it really is just people born between 19XX and 20XX (depending on who you ask).

Edit: Full disclosure, I buy craft beer too, when there's a surplus in the budget (oh, and I do a monthly budget)........
    Last edited by Jibjub; 2019-05-10 at 04:35 PM.

This is always ever relevant to these discussions;

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Uh, are you trying to say they were handing out participation trophies (as in the literal words, even though most people use that to mean a range of things) in 1981-~1990? I played multiple sports (peewee and then middle-school) in that time and no-one ever got trophies simply for participating?
    As an aside: Do people not think kids know the difference between first place and participation for as long as I can remember since the 90s... a participation trophy was a joke.

They were handing out those trophies starting in about the late 60s-70s.

Ramping up in the 80s and 90s, the nexus though was the 60s, which is before gen y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Millennials are now adults. Their reign of terror is coming to an end.
    The clueless boomers that elected Trump (and almost Hillary) are the real terror.

What have they achieved
    Do you want a laundry list of individual millenial accomplishments?

who is to blame for their lack of progress?
    "Progress" meaning what? There are plenty of Millenial progressives.

Who are Millennials going to blame next for their shitty lives?
    The usually argument isn't that it's shitty, just a little economically harder than the boomers had it.

Can we trust Gen Z?
    "Don't trust anyone, not even yourself!"

Are they absolute losers like Millennials or do they actually have a plan for life that isn't "blame everyone else for their situation and scab off the government" tactic.
    Crap, he's onto our annual Millenial-Scab-Government-Tactics meetings that our entire generation attends. I mean, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

Anecdotal evidence. We just fired a bunch of 30+ year old and replaced them with 22 year old's. Much better.
    Lol well at least you acknowledged that it's an anecdote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do explain how people who are only in their 20s and mid 30s could possibly have caused a "reign of terror".

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm an unemployed law student. I was always praised for my achievements, whether it were languages, participations in various events like MUN, being the top student in my municipality etc. Right now I can't bother finishing law school after 6 years despite having 1 course to pass left. 94 born, how millenial am I?