Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Benthic Gear - Can we rename this to Drowned Gear?

I understand the logic, I agree it's a solid term to describe just how deep we go in Nazjatar.

It's just that this isn't really a very appealing name as far as I currently see. Imagining people excited over acquiring their "BENTHIC SET" is hard. Dare I say it sounds like a Ben Swolo meme name.

So I Wowhead search for "Drowned" and sure enough there's not even a set ingame called "Drowned" yet, only a couple of odd items with the name in it.

and so it means they either have it around the corner and Benthic is a filler, or that somebody really felt Benthic was the best name for a set right now?

Does Benthic gear excite you? How about compare to PvP Gear, and Raid Sets with their "Valorous" "Savage" "Champion's"

tldr: Since it's PTR, can we have a rename of the Benthic gear to Drowned? It seems to suit the mood of the deep watery below moreso to the general audience.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    I understand the logic, I agree it's a solid term to describe just how deep we go in Nazjatar.

It's just that this isn't really a very appealing name as far as I currently see. Imagining people excited over acquiring their "BENTHIC SET" is hard. Dare I say it sounds like a Ben Swolo meme name.

So I Wowhead search for "Drowned" and sure enough there's not even a set ingame called "Drowned" yet, only a couple of odd items with the name in it.

and so it means they either have it around the corner and Benthic is a filler, or that somebody really felt Benthic was the best name for a set right now?

Does Benthic gear excite you? How about compare to PvP Gear, and Raid Sets with their "Valorous" "Savage" "Champion's"

tldr: Since it's PTR, can we have a rename of the Benthic gear to Drowned? It seems to suit the mood of the deep watery below moreso to the general audience.
    lets just be happy we got this

But then how would we make thic jokes about people using the gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

This post inspired me to actually look up "benthic" because I had no clue it was a real word. I guess it does make sense, what you know what it means, but honestly, it's a horrible name. I wouldn't want to wear anything named that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    But then how would we make thic jokes about people using the gear?
    save it for some higher tier so people who truly are good obtain maximum thiccness

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it actually drowned though? Or is it gear from the lowest reaches of the Ocean?

I like the name because it makes me think of Jeremy Bentham
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Is it actually drowned though? Or is it gear from the lowest reaches of the Ocean?
    That'd be Abyssal, right? /metal.

Anyway. I'm ok with Benthic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I like the name because it makes me think of Jeremy Bentham
    He was being treated for carpet beetles when I was at UCL back in the day.

I think it's a lot more interesting than most of the generic cool sounding words they attach to armour sets in WoW.

Drowned gear, yet the ocean is literally parted and we’re not underwater at all. Yet Benthic essentially meaning the sea floor which we’re running around on, yet drowned would make more sense.. I.... nope.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    That'd be Abyssal, right? /metal.

Anyway. I'm ok with Benthic.
    Oh yeah true, I always confuse the 2 as ones ecological and one is just the absolute depth.

I would have gone with Waterlogged Gear personally, but each to their own. Its only a matter of time until we are all talking about our Thicc items and Thicc set.

It's kinda a shame that they implement it just now. This name would have been even more hillariously bad back in the days of Greg Street. While it is legit, it also kind of screams chinese google translate, well that or being extraodinarily pretentious. I'd have linked it to some naga shit, it's not like we run around with random sea life taped to our asses.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-05-13 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    This post inspired me to actually look up "benthic" because I had no clue it was a real word. I guess it does make sense, what you know what it means, but honestly, it's a horrible name. I wouldn't want to wear anything named that.
    Yea, I looked it up too. It is relevant. I don’t personally think the name is that bad.

I prefer Benswole.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the word Benthic is a real word..

The benthic zone is the ecological region at the lowest level of a body of water such as an ocean, lake, or stream, including the sediment surface and some sub-surface layers. Organisms living in this zone are called benthos and include microorganisms (e.g., bacteria and fungi)[1][2] as well as larger invertebrates, such as crustaceans and polychaetes[3]. Organisms here generally live in close relationship with the substrate and many are permanently attached to the bottom. The benthic boundary layer, which includes the bottom layer of water and the uppermost layer of sediment directly influenced by the overlying water, is an integral part of the benthic zone, as it greatly influences the biological activity that takes place there. Examples of contact soil layers include sand bottoms, rocky outcrops, coral, and bay mud.

So in this case it makes sense to use it since we are in a what was/is an underwater zone..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benthic_zone

Probably not, because social justice warriors will find the way to get offended by a word "drowned" because...i don't know, their neighbour's great grandmother's daughter-in-law drowned in a lake in 1920's or some shit

benthic gear is amazing i dont like drowned gear
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

What's wrong with [bend dick] gear ?

It's as good name as any other... I'd say this thread is a waste of time, but at least it seems some people learned a new word thanks to it.