Poll: Is the adversity score a good idea for the SAT

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Just dumb as giving students with certain skin colour advantages. Funny how "woke" people dont see how racist that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Inequality deepens with subsequent generations, making it harder for individuals to rise above their circumstances. It is also a waste of human potential.

I know some politicians would prefer to keep people dumb and uneducated but that's a good way to slide a country back to third world status.
    You can't say life isn't fair for someone losing a spot for having a better arbitrary score and not expect people to ask why life should be fair to those in poverty.

SAT isn't the only metric. No schools admit students based on SAT scores alone.

Life isn't fair. Academic performance is a combination of innate talent and environmental factors that promote success. If college content isn't dumbed down for students and they are given sufficient support, students that struggle in hs can thrive in college.

Honestly my AP courses were a lot harder than my freshman college courses.
    The SAT was the only standardized or most standardized metric we had for measuring things in a controlled environment. Removing the standardization removes the entire purpose for the SAT to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Useless measures, the rich keep centralizing wealth and nobody really cares, all they come up with are these irrelevant virtue-signaling measures that simply keep elongating the status quo forever.
    divide and conquer,
    create million identity groups, each "oppressed" in different way, then use corporate media to make them fight each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Just dumb as giving students with certain skin colour advantages. Funny how "woke" people dont see how racist that is.
    Those sjw activists are the biggest racists and bigots actually, thats a proven fact.

Nothing like judging people on the basis of their skin color, where they live, and how much money their parents have. They should re-write "I have a Dream."

Not biased exam at all totally free for everyone
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You can't say life isn't fair for someone losing a spot for having a better arbitrary score and not expect people to ask why life should be fair to those in poverty.
    That phrase was used in relationship to my commentary on how inequality impacts an individual's ability to succeed. I doubt anyone is truly getting displaced, good applicants shine through and I'm sure there will be a way to see the score without the modifier for admissions committees. Otherwise the committee will connect the dots on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    The SAT was the only standardized or most standardized metric we had for measuring things in a controlled environment. Removing the standardization removes the entire purpose for the SAT to exist.
    Shrug. If schools or applicants are that worried about it then take the ACT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I KIND OF get the point but this shouldn't be part of an objective measurement of academic results to get somewhere.

Honestly I can't really think of a place where this would actually be appropriate to use, but I am not completely shunning the idea of trying to determine potential in a person by seeing if they perform abnormally well within their social group - that could indeed mean something.

But if they really want to use such a process, then there should be some kind of follow up step. We have something like that one some unis here which is called "grade 0", where you can basically buy your way in to the school, but if you don't perform with As at the end of the first schoolyear, you are sacked and the huge amount of money you paid to get in stays with the school (long story short).

Maybe a similar process could be used - give a chance to those who never had it, but make sure they use it well.
    That's not a bad idea. Some ivies have a backdoor way of getting in this way, Harvard Extension School for example.

That phrase was used in relationship to my commentary on how inequality impacts an individual's ability to succeed. I doubt anyone is truly getting displaced, good applicants shine through and I'm sure there will be a way to see the score without the modifier for admissions committees. Otherwise the committee will connect the dots on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Shrug. If schools or applicants are that worried about it then take the ACT.
    If that were the case, why do people now need adversity scores when they should shine through if they are a good applicant?

If that were the case, why do people now need adversity scores when they should shine through if they are a good applicant?
    If adversity didn't impact performance then it wouldn't be needed now would it?

This conversation is getting obtuse and I am going to bed. I don't know why people are upset by this, if you care all that much then work to make things less shitty for marginalized populations so this stuff won't be needed.

If adversity didn't impact performance then it wouldn't be needed now would it?

This conversation is getting obtuse and I am going to bed. I don't know why people are upset by this, if you care all that much then work to make things less shitty for marginalized populations so this stuff won't be needed.
    I'm not upset. I just called you out on your argument that completely undermines your own point.

Life isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    College "racial" profiling. I can't see how this could go wrong........
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Lots of applications with PO Boxes in low income zip codes
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Where do I check all the adversity boxes?

I had to walk to school 15 miles barefoot, over lava, uphill both ways, in the snow, with my 6 siblings on my back while we passed around one jacket.
    Easy to spot who did not even read the article in a hurry to get a comment in.

The score will include high school history, among other things. That alone makes "low income ZIP codes" meaningless, as well as tall stories. Also there is a list of factors. Calling it racial profiling is disingenuous at the least.

I'm still skeptical of the initiative, but I'm trying to voice an informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

The score will include high school history, among other things. That alone makes "low income ZIP codes" meaningless, as well as tall stories. Also there is a list of factors. Calling it racial profiling is disingenuous at the least.

I'm still skeptical of the initiative, but I'm trying to voice an informed opinion.
    Again, if this ends up benefitting minorities more than others, it'll be because of recruiters gave a preference to them in cases of similar adversity. Which is on the recruiters and not the system.

But I do wonder if this will have the long-term ramifications of people having to go for less prestigious schools because people with high adversity scores are given priority and snapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Funny how someone with that avatar is fixated on skin colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to increase funding for education so that low income areas don't have shitty schools?
    The problems for these schools aren't that they are underfunded, they have terrible teachers.

A good teacher could teach with a stick to draw in the sand. (Maybe not literally, but you get the point). More money isn't going to help them.

Funny how someone with that avatar is fixated on skin colour.
    Funny how someone using ad hominem is defending racism.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you grow up in a ghetto, it's much harder to avoid all the temptations that would lead you away from long term success. You grow up without a parent telling you to read a book before bed every night, or parent to make sure you do your homework.

What people here don't seem to understand - it's okay, we're the WoW crowd, so we're predominately white and higher class - is that it takes a lot more willpower and drive to succeed when you're of the poor and disenfranchised. Most of us are socialized as children to follow paths that lead to success, and we have the financial resources to live in neighborhoods with fostering communities, and have skilled teachers because skilled teachers get to choose the best places to work.

A poor kid getting straight A's in the ghetto has had to avoid the crowds telling him to join their gang, or try out these cool drugs, or try the rap game because it's the cool thing to do. A rich kid getting straight A's is pretty normal, because everyone around him has parents telling them to go to college, everyone around him knows college is a must, and that they have to do their homework, and make sure they do their instrument practice each night.

When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression.

10+ Year Old Account

But actually I did read the article... several times... in fact I sought out the original story at WSJ and other ancillary data... Did you? Of course not, you were in too much of a hurry to throw mud at people.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Again, if this ends up benefitting minorities more than others, it'll be because of recruiters gave a preference to them in cases of similar adversity. Which is on the recruiters and not the system.

But I do wonder if this will have the long-term ramifications of people having to go for less prestigious schools because people with high adversity scores are given priority and snapped up.
    It remains to be seen how it works in practice. Like I said, I'm skeptical, but schools already pick and choose who they want and they are not obliged to take SAT into consideration. I hope they avoid baking adversity score directly into the SAT score. As an advisory score next to the SAT, it may be of some use.

Yes, it's a good idea. It's a more accurate method of talent acquisition. You're probably a better academic prospect with a 1600, coming from some city school that has 1 book per every 3 students, bought back in 1968, the roof leaking, 43 kids per teacher, and doing it malnourished than a kid getting a 2200 from the bright and sunny suburbs with 10 kids per teacher, laptops and interactive learning suites for every student, a state of the art facility, tutors and SAT prep courses all on call.