Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    It's 1) a way to keep subs during dry content times, 2) pleasing a huge part of wow community that has asked for Classic since.. TBC basically, 3) a way to give Blizzard more time, as you say. But given their dedication to this project, i don't think its merely a tool, it's a gift to loyal wow players and a way for them to buy back some goodwill. During recent years Blizzard has become villains that ruined its own franchise, it's too early to say if actually listening to its audience will help them. But here's to hope.
    This. I've always viewed this as one of the true gifts and labors of love from a video game dev to it's customers.

Quite honestly, they will spend a lot more money re-developing classic wow than they will likely ever recoup from it, they didn't have to do this but they took on this huge undertaking as a "thank you" to fans over the last 15 years.

i think it will be hugely successful, more so than anyone thinks; but that there's plenty of room for current wow to live/push on too and for those who enjoy modern wow to keep on loving it.

I think they can co-exist TBH. One is more old school MMORPG, one is more modern D3 like MMO ARPG. Two almost different sub genres within the MMO genre.

Hell, with classic they are open to developing more content at 60 post naxx if people want it (they will) and we could be looking at two alternate reality versions of WoW.

There is plenty of room for all of us on the WOW boat; whether we like classic or current, it's good for BOTH that they are each successful/supported
    Last edited by justandulas; 2019-05-19 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    you guys realize that if classic becomes hugely successfull. They gonna add tokens and ingame shop etc right ?
    I doubt they'll add tokens to classic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No - classic only has a finite amount of content, of which said content:

1) Is incredibly easy and will be finished the day it comes out (raids I'm referring to here).

2) Most people who say they love classic have never played it and are in for a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    Of course not. Classic has 0 chance overtake retail.

It is hard to understand why this question even exist...
    Why don't you think thats possible? And what will you say when it happens?

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    This. I've always viewed this as one of the true gifts and labors of life from a video game dev to it's customers.

Quite honestly, they will spend a lot more money re-developing classic wow than they will likely ever recoup from it, they didn't have to do this but they took on this huge undertaking as a "thank you" to fans over the last 15 years.

i think it will be hugely successful, more so than anyone thinks; but that there's plenty of room for current wow to live/push on too and for those who enjoy modern wow to keep on loving it.

I think they can co-exist TBH. One is more old school MMORPG, one is more modern D3 like MMO ARPG. Two almost different sub genres within the MMO genre.

Hell, with classic they are open to developing more content at 60 post naxx if people want it (they will) and we could be looking at two alternate reality versions of WoW.

There is plenty of room for all of us on the WOW boat; whether we like classic or current, it's good for BOTH that they are each successful/supported
    Exactly. I don't understand why there has to be one winner in this, we're all winners. I personally can't wait to experience classic for real, i only got to level 15 when it was current. But i'm also dedicated to raiding in modern wow and it might take me a few months to reach 60 but thats not an issue for me.

Also in one of their interviews they identified reason why the servers completely lag out when too many ppl are in the same zone and will perhaps develop the "layering" technology for modern wow too. So I think modern wow can benefit a ton from Classic experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    is it really that hard ? you have a community with several thousands members who thinks the earth is flat and that every government in the world is hiding the truth and every footage ever taken, that shows the planet to be round is faked. So no, its not really that hard to understand why these moronic question exist
    Dude, the same thing happened with runescape, i think your are in for a big shock.
    right now it feels more like your the flat earther here.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    No - classic only has a finite amount of content, of which said content:

1) Is incredibly easy and will be finished the day it comes out (raids I'm referring to here).

2) Most people who say they love classic have never played it and are in for a shock.
    Raids are much more gear checks than they are now. No amount of skill can overcome the gear checks of vanilla. Why do you think wf/tf exist today?

Secondly, there is a huge segment of wow players who remember vanilla for all it was and can’t wait to return to that

Wow vanilla had casuals too

If Classic overtakes retail, it will be because BFA is THAT bad. I don’t see newer generations picking Classic WoW over new MMORPG’s should they still be interested in the genre, simply because they never got to experience what made WoW Classic great. Classic WoW is more for the people who once played and enjoyed the game for what it was when it got released. And at this point its a completely different game compared to BFA, which doesn’t seem to appeal to any specific audience.

Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    Exactly. I don't understand why there has to be one winner in this, we're all winners. I personally can't wait to experience classic for real, i only got to level 15 when it was current. But i'm also dedicated to raiding in modern wow and it might take me a few months to reach 60 but thats not an issue for me.

Also in one of their interviews they identified reason why the servers completely lag out when too many ppl are in the same zone and will perhaps develop the "layering" technology for modern wow too. So I think modern wow can benefit a ton from Classic experiences.
    Everyone crying about the layering is classic example of overreaction by a mob of people.

It’s wow classics way of not opening too many servers that have to be merged down the road. Anyone who’s played an mmo they died because of them opening too many servers at launch knows this. (Swtor I’m looking at you)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If Classic overtakes retail, it will be because BFA is THAT bad. I don’t see newer generations picking Classic WoW over new MMORPG’s should they still be interested in the genre, simply because they never got to experience what made WoW Classic great. Classic WoW is more for the people who once played and enjoyed the game for what it was when it got released. And at this point its a completely different game compared to BFA, which doesn’t seem to appeal to any specific audience.

A good game is a good game period. A timeless experience.

Indeed, and raiding isn't everything? PvP in vanilla is way funnier than BFA, which i think is a huge driving force.
    There's a reason all surveys suggest people are choosing PvP realms for vanilla when they choose PvE on retail.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    Indeed, and raiding isn't everything? PvP in vanilla is way funnier than BFA, which i think is a huge driving force.
    There's a reason all surveys suggest people are choosing PvP realms for vanilla when they choose PvE on retail.
    PvP in the modern game (i don't like the retail tag, its what private server players use, classic will also be retail by the definition of the word) is crap because of sharding tbh. And spells being too complex lagging out entire servers when you're more than 40 ppl in the same zone.

I don't know why these comparisons of Classic to OSRS are still being made. OSRS gets regular content and QoL changes, Classic and the no-change community wanted absolutely nothing of the sort. Not to mention, OSRS isn't even based off of Original Runescape.

A more honest comparison, that you're not going to like, is Runescape Classic. It shut down in August of last year:

https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/...jptv=news_list

No, don't think it will. It's a 15 year old game. I still love Warcraft III, and play it now and then, but it doesn't have 100 of thousands players regularly anymore. When it comes to games, people want new stuff, new content, new games. Classic is none of that. For some Classic is "new" though, those who started in later expansions, and it is probably a good amount of those here who wants to at least try it. But I see same people also complaints about how grindy BfA is(lol) so can't see everyone of those will be staying for long.

But I hope classic will do good enough for those who enjoy it. I will play it now and then, but that would be like 95% retail, 5% classic. No one in my guild are looking forward to it, of what I have heard, and they doesn't understand the hype for it. Can't say I disagree, but anyway, good for those who wants it!

When it comes to twitch numbers and so. Asmongold is probably the most popular WoW-streamer of them all. Anything he hypes up, will get hyped up by those who follows him. It's not surprising at all that the classic beta he streams is popular, because he is popular. Not saying the interest for Classic isn't there, it clearly is. But with good help of ourboyasmongold and friends.

No? Classic will be low populated a months in, since well it was a very different game back then and compared to todays standard also very bad. The hard part was literally the long leveling phase, since all of the other mechanics in dungeons / raids are just easily done nowadays. People wil rush through it like crazy and be done very quickly. It's cool for a nostalgy trip but that's it.

The last game that tried that based on some very hardcore people was Runescape and we know what happend to the classic servers there.
    Last edited by Nokami; 2019-05-19 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factsbeforefeelings View Post
    I don't know why these comparisons of Classic to OSRS are still being made. OSRS gets regular content and QoL changes, Classic and the no-change community wanted absolutely nothing of the sort. Not to mention, OSRS isn't even based off of Original Runescape.

A more honest comparison, that you're not going to like, is Runescape Classic. It shut down in August of last year:

https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/...jptv=news_list
    Very true that, OSRS isn't really the game to compare with. If Classic goes that way it might, but as of now it's hard to see them going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Very true that, OSRS isn't really the game to compare with. If Classic goes that way it might, but as of now it's hard to see them going that route.
    Actually, quite the contrary. They've been open that, if the community wants it, they'd be open to adding more lvl 60 content such as raids, zones, gear, etc... into the game and expand upon classic without going TBC route. They could have TBC servers and still expand wow classic horizontally rather than vertically.

There is plenty of WoW ahead for everyone

I doubt it. Many may try it out just to see it again, and relive some nostalgia. And some who have never played may jump in to see what the hype is about. But I don't think many will play long term. As far as people I've spoken to(guildies, bnet friends, etc.), noone but myself seems to have any interest in classic. Which is kind of a disappointment. So I really just plan to level 60 and then probably stop.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    I don't think so at all, i think retail might be the niche market
    Over the years, I've heard people say on these forums how queueable content is responsible for WoW's bad community, how casual gamers are ruining MMOs, how there should only be one raid difficulty, how there shouldn't be any raid catch up mechanisms, and how there should never have been any Transmog, etc. Now there are all these threads saying classic WoW's success will prove them right.

What I want to know is, what happens if classic WoW's community is horrible? What happens when classic WoW is just a tourist attraction a year from now? Will that prove you people wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Over the years, I've heard people say on these forums how queueable content is responsible for WoW's bad community, how casual gamers are ruining MMOs, how there should only be one raid difficulty, how there shouldn't be any raid catch up mechanisms, and how there should never have been any Transmog, etc. Now there are all these threads saying classic WoW's success will prove them right.

What I want to know is, what happens if classic WoW's community is horrible? What happens when classic WoW is just a tourist attraction a year from now? Will that prove you people wrong?
    It could, but the opposite could be true as well.

What happens when wow classic does have a better community than live?

What happens when wow classic outnumbers live at some point?

What happens when they announce, instead of expansion 10.0, they decided it's more lucrative to have an alternate reality expansion to classic where it stays 60 but delivers new zones, raids, content? (They have hinted that they will do this post naxx if the community wants)

What happens when everything they've said about X Y Z ruining WoW... is proven right?

because it's a well known fact that reverting a decade of progress will help...

i mean what kind of person doesn't enjoy running in the barrens in search for Manrik's wife and spamming frostbolts for 8 minutes at that epic ragnaros fight?