Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Currently, it takes 20 minutes to an hour to do something.

In Vanilla it takes one to two hours to do the same thing. Vanilla was 14 years ago. The people who played Vanilla have in many cases gotten a job and/or family. They'll have vastly less free time to devote to WoW than back then.

A lot of players never focus on that until later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    You can have your Classic community. It'll attract ~100k people.
    This is why you are mocked and ridiculed, because you are so out of touch with reality. There were ten times that number of people playing on a single private Vanilla server.

I can't tell if people like you are experiencing cognitive dissonance or are being purposefully dishonest. Perhaps your real fear is that the success of Classic will make Blizzard change its philosophy for retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post

In Vanilla it takes one to two hours to do the same thing. Vanilla was 14 years ago. The people who played Vanilla have in many cases gotten a job and/or family. They'll have vastly less free time to devote to WoW than back then.

This is a dumb point to make. In 2004 I was in school and drinking beer. IN 2019 I have a career and drinking beer. Pretty sure I have more time now then I did back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So just to be clear - this dude is a complete random that nobody has ever heard of
    Just because you haven't heard of him, doesn't mean that he's a "complete random".
    He's arguably one of the most famous PvP mages in the history of the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never understood how people could condemn something until they played it. Most people doing so obviously never played Vanilla.

Okey, so you mean every adult have no time what so ever for any hobby at all? Sounds great! If I go to bed 23:00 and start playing when my kids go to sleep, I still have 3-4 hours of game-time per night. That's over 20 hours per week if I only spend the time they're asleep gaming. Since my son is a small little gamer him self, I can stretch that to 4-5 hours if I let him play Minecraft for an hour. The other one is a baby, falling asleep very early in the evening.

That's almost as much time as I had in vanilla. Because when I went to school (high school at the time). It took me around 1.5 hour to get home from school because of bad bus/train connection, so I was home at around 18:15~. Ate food, showered and played from around 19:00. I also did have a lot more hobbies back then than I do now, I played a lot of sports and hung out with friends a lot.

Difference would be that I won't have as much time on weekends as I did back then, but back then I partied away most of my weekends anyway.

If you love doing something, make sure you take the time to do it. If you're an adult with 0 free time you might have to concider some changes in your life, so you don't waste it wishing you could do the things you love to do.

Yeah, I think this is being heavily overlooked too. People are saying that the time commitment required for Vanilla has been massively overstated, based on the evidence that people are leveling to 30 and making alts on the beta. The real time commitment comes when you are trying to farm gold to get your epic mount, but you still have to buy all your consumables so that you can go to raid and hopefully be the one or two in 40 that get a piece of loot per boss, and you also have to afford your respec to even be able to farm. Yes, there are people who have been playing on private servers for a long time and understand the commitment required, but there are also going to be a lot of people trying out Classic who have become accustomed to a world in which personal loot and bonus rolls exist and people who have jobs, families, other games etc that are going to think about doing eight hours worth of farming just to even attend a raid and decide they just want to do something else instead. Classic purists can deride those people all they want but I think you are severely limiting your potential playerbase by alienating those people.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    There are people who are surprised by Classics and there are people who wanted Classic who now hate it ...

I really don't care that people change their opinions, it is more about the why. People changing their opinions is normal and isn't evidence that one opinion is superior to the other.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by WowClassic View Post
    This is why you are mocked and ridiculed, because you are so out of touch with reality. There were ten times that number of people playing on a single private Vanilla server.

I can't tell if people like you are experiencing cognitive dissonance or are being purposefully dishonest. Perhaps your real fear is that the success of Classic will make Blizzard change its philosophy for retail.
    I know you're trolling, but I enjoy that you specifically tried to argue against me by attacking me over something I explicitly said I don't care about in my post.

Let me put it this way, Mr. "people who like retail WoW are leftists and only true pedes like classic" - I've played this game for 14 years, and to date the only expansion I haven't enjoyed is WoD. If Classic is the biblical success you seem to believe it will be, and Blizzard decide they want to add more elements of Classic back to retail, that's awesome. If it's the middling level of success that I believe it will be, and it only retains a moderate playerbase and Blizzard continue to design retail around what I believe to be much more modern game design ideas, will you really just accept that? Will you have the balls to make a video saying you were wrong and that actually the world has moved on since 2004? Or will you make a new burner MMOC account and complain that it's "not real classic" and it's been ruined by "liberal devs" and that "private servers were right all along"? I'd take a bet with you, but I don't think I'd trust you as far as I could throw you.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading through this thread, it fucking baffles me that people are trying to invalidate a guys opinion because they don't agree with the opinion being stated.
    "Hey guys, I had preconcieved notions about this game but after everything I've experienced thus far, after playing it for 12 hours every day, I really really like it for these stated reasons."
    "REEEEEEEE HE'S CLEARLY FUCKING WRONG, YOU CAN'T LIKE THIS GAME, HE'S DOING IT FOR MONEY, IT'S A PUBLICITY STUNT, HE'S ACTUALLY TROLLING!"

Like what the fuck, let someone enjoy what they enjoy.
    If you don't agree with it then that's fucking fine, but don't try to invalidate someones feelings just because you're a piece of shit.

If not the token people will buy gold from the chinese farmers sites again wont stop it regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    After reading through this thread, it fucking baffles me that people are trying to invalidate a guys opinion because they don't agree with the opinion being stated.
    "Hey guys, I had preconcieved notions about this game but after everything I've experienced thus far, after playing it for 12 hours every day, I really really like it for these stated reasons."
    "REEEEEEEE HE'S CLEARLY FUCKING WRONG, YOU CAN'T LIKE THIS GAME, HE'S DOING IT FOR MONEY, IT'S A PUBLICITY STUNT, HE'S ACTUALLY TROLLING!"

Like what the fuck, let someone enjoy what they enjoy.
    If you don't agree with it then that's fucking fine, but don't try to invalidate someones feelings just because you're a piece of shit.
    Well said. Usually I just lurk from time to time but some of the people in this thread are so pathetic it forced me to sign up just to get it off my chest.

anyone bored with retail will say classic is good because it's "new".

if that...makes sense...

my head...
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

7+ Year Old Account
    .....Is the beta not heavily limited in level?

I think that there is still many things missing to say, if Classic is good or not, especially when start hitting lvl 50+, where the majority of the games content lies.

Besides, leveling in a "new" game is always fun the first few times, lets see how it goes when we are 6+ months in and people are getting used to things.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    anyone bored with retail will say classic is good because it's "new".

if that...makes sense...

my head...
    I personally like Classic simply because it has more RPG elements in it that has since been slowly stripped away over the years.
    I also used to love raiding in retail up until Legion and the fact that they turned the player retention protocols up to 12 and the design philosophy from there on.

It's a general trend that I've disliked in game development nowadays that for some reason games has to be very streamlined and railroady because anything else would be "too complex", as they want to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

It's not the same game as retail, simple as that. Classic is also not launch, as it fixes all the huge bugs and changes that made it what it was then. Retail is simply an endgame continuation saga. Classic is slower play with zero balance.

Quote Originally Posted by FanciestUnicorn View Post
    This is a dumb point to make. In 2004 I was in school and drinking beer. IN 2019 I have a career and drinking beer. Pretty sure I have more time now then I did back then.
    That's you then and you are you, one person instead of the vast average.

i played vanilla, its definitely overrated. definitely never want its slow gameplay, boring rotations, and terrible quests in live ever again. love the new style of quests and the way everything flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Okey, so you mean every adult have no time what so ever for any hobby at all? Sounds great! If I go to bed 23:00 and start playing when my kids go to sleep, I still have 3-4 hours of game-time per night. That's over 20 hours per week if I only spend the time they're asleep gaming. Since my son is a small little gamer him self, I can stretch that to 4-5 hours if I let him play Minecraft for an hour. The other one is a baby, falling asleep very early in the evening.

That's almost as much time as I had in vanilla. Because when I went to school (high school at the time). It took me around 1.5 hour to get home from school because of bad bus/train connection, so I was home at around 18:15~. Ate food, showered and played from around 19:00. I also did have a lot more hobbies back then than I do now, I played a lot of sports and hung out with friends a lot.

Difference would be that I won't have as much time on weekends as I did back then, but back then I partied away most of my weekends anyway.

If you love doing something, make sure you take the time to do it. If you're an adult with 0 free time you might have to concider some changes in your life, so you don't waste it wishing you could do the things you love to do.
    That's you. You're you instead of the vast average. If you have an eight hour with 1 of hour transportation each way, which is about the average, that's 10 hours shaved away from your free time, - eight hours for sleep (average again), that leaves six hours in a day. Six hours divided between relaxation and family.

If you can find the time good for you, just stop assuming that everyone has your experiences, This is the average. Which obviously excludes you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Yeah, I think this is being heavily overlooked too. People are saying that the time commitment required for Vanilla has been massively overstated, based on the evidence that people are leveling to 30 and making alts on the beta. The real time commitment comes when you are trying to farm gold to get your epic mount, but you still have to buy all your consumables so that you can go to raid and hopefully be the one or two in 40 that get a piece of loot per boss, and you also have to afford your respec to even be able to farm. Yes, there are people who have been playing on private servers for a long time and understand the commitment required, but there are also going to be a lot of people trying out Classic who have become accustomed to a world in which personal loot and bonus rolls exist and people who have jobs, families, other games etc that are going to think about doing eight hours worth of farming just to even attend a raid and decide they just want to do something else instead. Classic purists can deride those people all they want but I think you are severely limiting your potential playerbase by alienating those people.
    I was raiding and before the WoL changes that ruled that you could only have two alchemy buffs and Flasks took them both I spent about four hours a day farming and all our Warlocks could without fail be found in Burning Steppes one or two hours before the raid farming Soul Shards.

Classic is fine if you take it in small doses if you want to do anything you have to give it a massive time commitment. On my server, the GM title in PvP was jokingly called the No Life title as whoever worked on it had to take about 1-3 weeks out of their calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    i played vanilla, its definitely overrated. definitely never want its slow gameplay, boring rotations, and terrible quests in live ever again. love the new style of quests and the way everything flows.
    I get what you are saying but IMHO, they sacrificed too much for "better flow and single player-like experience". If you like it, more power to you, but if I want play good game, with great flow, great quests, I play Witcher 3 for example. But if I want play great MMORPG, currently, there is very limited selection on market and honestly, Classic seems to be hitting all important marks for me.

So thankfully, players can now choose, what they want to play.