Thread: AMD Navi

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    That'd be a really bad advice considering Zen 2 is around the corner and Intel seemingly has no answer considering their 10nm isn't going anywhere. Yes AMD gaming GPUs have been pretty meh for quite a while(though still somewhat matching Nvidia for Price/Performance, even VII), but they haven't really put much R&D at Radeon Technologies either, making the costs of said department quite small aside from silicon costs.

Yes, they don't have a $1200 gaming GPU currently and I for one sure hope they don't have one in the future either. I'll be happy with them competing for the mainstream for now, though they have to solve how to get around Nvidia mindshare, but if they can slowly get around that, they'll be just fine selling for those who want something resonable.
    This thread is about Navi...
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    This thread is about Navi...
    Yet you were talking about Vega and AMD stock?

Yet you were talking about Vega and AMD stock?
    I was responding to a person talking about the Vega VII graphics card... he/she brought it up and I responded.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2019-04-21 at 01:55 PM.

I was responding to a person talking about the Vega VII graphics card... he brought it up and I responded.
    With nonsense, like usual. You start talking about AMD stock and we can start talking about AMD's broader position in the market.

Selling very well on the CPU front, AFAIK AMD has not outsold intel before even in the Athlon XP heyday, having unprecedented penetration into the server market, a couple of future console contracts. So their flagship GPU is a turd, this is just symptomatic of a wider problem with die shrinks not getting the returns they used to and they apparently have not planned ahead like Nvidia did looking for performance outside of silicon. You can expect AMD to have at least a good couple of years before Intel buries them again with optane DIMMs and 3d chip stacking. They may never catch Nvidia but that is of little consequence really when you consider their current position. They really have only one direction to move and that is up, they have literally been "surviving" for almost 2 decades. Selling now would be foolish imo.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    With nonsense, like usual. You start talking about AMD stock and we can start talking about AMD's broader position in the market.

Selling very well on the CPU front, AFAIK AMD has not outsold intel before even in the Athlon XP heyday, having unprecedented penetration into the server market, a couple of future console contracts. So their flagship GPU is a turd, this is just symptomatic of a wider problem with die shrinks not getting the returns they used to and they apparently have not planned ahead like Nvidia did looking for performance outside of silicon. You can expect AMD to have at least a good couple of years before Intel buries them again with optane DIMMs and 3d chip stacking. They may never catch Nvidia but that is of little consequence really when you consider their current position. They really have only one direction to move and that is up, they have literally been "surviving" for almost 2 decades. Selling now would be foolish imo.
    I wasn't talking about selling and you should watch more stand-up comedy because you don't have a clue right now.

I wasn't talking about selling and you should watch more stand-up comedy because you don't have a clue right now.
    Is this some kind of "english is my second language" defense?

Considering you have been, for as long as I have been reading these forums and ENDLESS stream of head-in-asshole bullshit you, of all people calling *anyone* clueless is the only "joke" to be found here.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2019-04-22 at 08:52 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Is this some kind of "english is my second language" defense?

Considering you have been, for as long as I have been reading these forums and ENDLESS stream of head-in-asshole bullshit you, of all people calling *anyone* clueless is the only "joke" to be found here.
    You should really buy a clue because you have none and this forum is my stage.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2019-04-22 at 08:51 PM.

Bringing things slightly more back on track...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65560...019/index.html

Q3 launch is pretty much a given, though where the Navi cards will show up first is unclear.

Further, most reviewers and analysts are expecting Nvidia 2060-2080 levels of performance for the initial launch cards, at a fraction of the price of the Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Then again, I only have it active for full screen games.
    Hijacking for a small dumb question - i never understood this. Does adaptive sync work only for fullscreen (so like the desktop and if i have games on "true" fullscreen)? Because a) i always play borderless fullscreen and b) given a good 144hz 27" monitor with no adaptive sync is definitely cheaper, i'm wondering what to actually buy/search for.

I'm kinda lost honestly i'm not really able to distinguish from a really good monitor to a crap one given price point is more or less the same (given same specs) and customer reviews tend to point out faulty models instead of actual product quality (while i can see if there's a pattern).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Hijacking for a small dumb question - i never understood this. Does adaptive sync work only for fullscreen (so like the desktop and if i have games on "true" fullscreen)? Because a) i always play borderless fullscreen and b) given a good 144hz 27" monitor with no adaptive sync is definitely cheaper, i'm wondering what to actually buy/search for.

I'm kinda lost honestly i'm not really able to distinguish from a really good monitor to a crap one given price point is more or less the same (given same specs) and customer reviews tend to point out faulty models instead of actual product quality (while i can see if there's a pattern).
    Afaik both freesync and g-sync are supposed to work in borderless nowdays. But searching them on google seem to give less than stellar feedback on G-sync at least. I haven't encountered any problems with freesync though.. But the only 2 games I run in windowed are WoW and D3.

Afaik both freesync and g-sync are supposed to work in borderless nowdays. But searching them on google seem to give less than stellar feedback on G-sync at least. I haven't encountered any problems with freesync though.. But the only 2 games I run in windowed are WoW and D3.
    K, thnaks for the feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    K, thnaks for the feedback.
    I haven't had issues with any games in borderless windowed on a G-sync monitor. I do have problems with flickering sometimes when I can't cap fps though

Latest details on the Navi cards coming out soon:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/am...gpus-next-week

"The Radeon RX 3080 is allegedly going to be slightly faster than Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 2070, and will come with a retail price of $499 (about £395, AU$725 – although pricing in other territories inevitably won’t be a direct currency conversion). Whereas AMD’s RX 3070 will hit performance levels somewhere in between the RX 2060 and RX 2070, but will be cheaper at $399 (about £315, AU$580)."

If the price is really that, then it's not a really big deal - for the same or cheaper price you can buy the comparable NVidia counterpart.

If the price is really that, then it's not a really big deal - for the same or cheaper price you can buy the comparable NVidia counterpart.
    Yeah. Hopefully this is just high-balling the numbers, but if not, it's just another missed chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Yeah. Hopefully this is just high-balling the numbers, but if not, it's just another missed chance.
    Yeah. Anyway, it depends a lot about how the manufacturing process is done. Example, the Vega cards are expensive due to the memory and the margin for profit is very low. That also adds to the fact that generally GPU manufacturers have to work with really thing margins for profit overall - the explosion of prices right now is still a consequence of all the memory chips shortage and mining craze, that companies have managed to exploit for their gains.

Hopefully prices will come down to normal levels in 2 or 3 generations (so when i'll replace my 1080ti )

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Anyway, it depends a lot about how the manufacturing process is done. Example, the Vega cards are expensive due to the memory and the margin for profit is very low. That also adds to the fact that generally GPU manufacturers have to work with really thing margins for profit overall - the explosion of prices right now is still a consequence of all the memory chips shortage and mining craze, that companies have managed to exploit for their gains.

Hopefully prices will come down to normal levels in 2 or 3 generations (so when i'll replace my 1080ti )
    Heard rumors the AMD 3000 series is using GDDR6, so I'm not really sure if they can justify that price.. If it's still on HBM2, it makes a bit of sense

"The Radeon RX 3080 is allegedly going to be slightly faster than Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 2070, and will come with a retail price of $499 (about £395, AU$725 – although pricing in other territories inevitably won’t be a direct currency conversion). Whereas AMD’s RX 3070 will hit performance levels somewhere in between the RX 2060 and RX 2070, but will be cheaper at $399 (about £315, AU$580)."
    Are they really coming out with that naming scheme?

The leaks a supposedly from Singaporean source and it may very well be 499 Singapore Dollars, which would still hold true the original price points leaked before. But we shall see soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I guess the question is going to be whether they do ray tracing or not..
    They don't have specific RT cores if that is what you are asking. Unless David Wand deceived us with his comments when asked about them.

7+ Year Old Account
    The CPU leaks sound great, the GPU leaks are underwhelming.