View Poll Results: Is weight gain grounds for divorce?

Voters
188. This poll is closed
  • I met my significant other a certain way and I expect just that. YES its time to move on

93 49.47%
  • It doesn't make the slightest difference to me, my significant is fine any shape or size

95 50.53%
Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is weight gain grounds for divorce/ultimatum?

Say you met your significant other and over time he or she let go of themselves...

Is that grounds for a divorce or at least an ultimatum?

Let me know.

Yes it is grounds for ultimatum depending on the person
    Ultimately, you must like each other
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2019-05-24 at 07:30 AM.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

What kind of scales are we talking about? 50 kilo person gaining 2 kilos? 80 kilo person gaining 120?

Hmm, love that is conditional like that isn't true love at all.

To be real here, it depends if you're still attracted to your SO. If it's merely a non-romantic relationship just for sex, you might as well let go of them, otherwise you'll cling to the sentiment you both share. My answer doesn't apply to asexual couples, of course, but then again, I believe in such a case the matter at hand wouldn't even be an issue whatsoever.

Of course not. Has any of you voting the first option ever even been in a long relationship? Believe me it does not work like that especially if the relationship is fine otherwise. Say you were happily married a few years and your partner is experiencing some issues for a while (as will you!), are you gonna freaking ditch her/him because of a weight increase? - The mother/father of your children perhaps? - Things can mend you know. Think twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.
    Expecting the other to be healthy is completely reasonable in a relationship. One thing is health problems that cannot be worked out, like nasty illnesses and accidents; but gaining a shitton of weight is usually on the one person gaining it.
    Of course, in a sane marriage, people would first try to figure it out together, but in extreme situations, like in those TV programs where people weight like 6 men together and blame it on "genetics" while eating 5 pizzas for a snack, I would feel no regret in leaving.

are you worried about their mental and/or physical health?
    are you less emotionally attracted to them or aware of not having an emotional attraction now there's an (implied) reduced physical attraction?

I'd say grounds for divorce would be an over-reaction but it could well bring existing issues to the front (for example that the relationship is purely based on physical attraction only)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Life goes on, people change.
    Sometimes you find the person your with isn’t the person you truly wanna be with.
    Personally I would try to figure out why they gaining weight and encourage them to be healthy.

Depends on how you define gaining weight. Expecting your 50 yr old spouse to look like they did at 20 or 30 is foolish. Most people get a little thick around the middle as they get older.

Now, that being said, putting on massive amounts of weight is a concern and a couple should be able to discuss it openly with each other.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Say you met your significant other and over time he or she let go of themselves...

Is that grounds for a divorce or at least an ultimatum?
    No, it's not grounds for divorce or an ultimatum. But it could become part of the problem in a deteriorating relationship.

The thing about weight gain is that it doesn't happen overnight. It's a process that happens over a significant period of time over which it could gradually start to impact the relationship, or the relationship might continue to gradually adapt to the change.

The question here of course is why is a weight gain a problem? Is it because you feel embarrassed over the shape of your spouse? Is it because it starts to impact on intimacy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the circumstance really. If it's unhealthy weight gain as a result of conscious habit, and there are concerns that aren't being taken seriously, then there are grounds for an ultimatum. I would hate to think that my significant other would deliberately continue down an massively unhealthy path, the consequences of which are well documented, and expect sympathy, care, and acceptance of the situation they have purposely put themselves in. Call me selfish, but I want my loved ones to remain in my life for a long time, and to be able to enjoy that time with them, not constantly worrying about a health problem they've brought upon themselves. However, if the weight gain is either a symptom or side effect of an illness or treatment, then no...absolutely no grounds for an ultimatum.

It's the same with smoking. I have no sympathy for folks who fall foul of smoking related illnesses, regardless of family or friend connection.

In short, if you don't care about yourself, why should I?
    Last edited by Toxuvox; 2019-05-24 at 08:15 AM.

If they get fat, yes. If it's just some slight overweight from being normal weight, no.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is weight gain grounds for divorce/ultimatum?
    Yes

Poll really doesn't go along with the question asked in the title.

Ultimatum seldom work, but if she gains so much weight that I no longer find her attractive, absolutely. Same goes for her, if I become a lazy fat slob, she has every right to want someone that she can feel good with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how much we talk about, some lil belly is whatever but if they turn into some american tv-show fatty then its baibai~.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

sounds kinda petty.. but with these things not wanting to be with the person anymore is reason enough.
    no need to go looking for excuses.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I mean if that is enough to make you miserable and thus the marriage will be no good... Yeah. Doesn't change tee fact that you will be an assholes and/or seen as shallow as fuck.

Only if they flat out refuse to do something about it, after you've been nagging them for a long time and offered to work out together, etc.

Of course it is and not necessarily because of the added weight but (unless medical issues that lead to said events) it means that the other person got slobby, inactive probably a total letdown in many other areas (self confidence, charisma, sexual drive, etcccccc)