Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

WoW Classic Beta: Elite Mob Damage Comparison - Doesn't Add Up

Title says it all. Coming from a WoW veteran who has put many many hours into the game over the years, basic common sense will tell you that mob damage in the beta is, without a doubt, far lower than it should be. You shouldn't be able to take 50 hits from an elite mob without a single heal without dying.. c'mon guys... Stop this nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to post this on official Battle.net forums just now, and received a temporary silence. Nice one Blizzard.

this happens when you try to push agenda from private servers when you got official response from blizzard that values in classic are correct.

So your "basic common sense" is a better source of information than Blizzard's very own 1.12 client/database?

LOL

It's not even from Private servers... This is not how Classic WoW operated. How can you idiots not realize this?

Infracted: Don't call other users idiots {MoanaLisa}
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-05-28 at 07:03 PM.

So yeah, you're saying that you know better than Blizzard and that their very own 1.12 database that they literally used in retail vanilla is wrong.

lol

nice troll, OP
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-05-28 at 01:04 PM.

Maybe the issues is that we were all wearing garbo gear back then cause we were garbo players.
    You're not wrong in remembering the game being "harder", but that had more to do with your skill and understanding of itemization then, and less to do with mobs having lower damage numbers.

And before someone says "I wasn't garbo", are you 100% sure your healer wasn't staking spirit? Or that the warrior in your party wasn't rocking leather?
    Maybe you were truly a god amongst men, but the vast majority of your companions were clueless. Myself included.
    Last edited by Villager720; 2019-05-28 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karasike View Post
    How can you idiots not realize this?
    Well, with flowering language like this, I'm surprised you don't have more people agreeing with you.

I'm not surprised you got silenced in the official forums, though.

This is what happens when, "holy crap, this mob seems like it's doing so much damage(because my gear is bad and I'm underleveled)," becomes, "The mobs did so much more damage in Vanilla."

It's not even from Private servers... This is not how Classic WoW operated. How can you idiots not realize this?
    Then where is your proof? This video is just watching a guy get hit by mobs in classic beta, with 0 videos of actual classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy doesn't even do a correct comparison. He never shows his gear (you find more stuff later one, like helm and shoulders which aren't even available on lower levels), he never takes potential buffs or debuffs he has into account, he never even mentions swing timers - and Rhahk'zor, a boss wielding a two handed weapon dealing more damage than mobs even higher level and with a one handed weapon sounds totally normal. I mean, if he would have shown Verdane who could deal way over 100 damage at level 20, would he say that one also seems wrong because he deals so much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Comparing different classes, with different gear, to different mobs. You do know that mobs don't hit the same just because they are the same level right?
    Speciation Is Gradual

Low level dungeons were always easy in classic. The first slight challenge where a tank might die was Sunken Temple on level 50. Level variety for a dungeon was also very big, where you might enter a dungeon where the first few pulls were below your level, and the last boss was red (5 levels higher), yet people still managed just fine even though the tank was eating crushing blows left and right.

Also since you only had a single spec and tank/heal specs were horrible for leveling everyone was doing dungeons with arms warriors and non-resto spec healers and it was still easy as long as you took some mana breaks. Hell even pet tanks were used when the tank left midrun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Title says it all. Coming from a WoW veteran who has put many many hours into the game over the years, basic common sense will tell you that mob damage in the beta is, without a doubt, far lower than it should be. You shouldn't be able to take 50 hits from an elite mob without a single heal without dying.. c'mon guys... Stop this nonsense.
    You're annoyed that mob damage is based on swing speed and that caster mobs don't do as much damage in melee as melee-oriented mobs? I fail to see the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Comparing different classes, with different gear, to different mobs. You do know that mobs don't hit the same just because they are the same level right?
    It's not even that, look at the swing speeds. It's 1h vs 2h swing speed, and some of the 2h mobs are casters...
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

In Classic, many of us were leveling with gear sets that were a terrible hodgepodge of the bad quest rewards and what we found lying around. A lot of the people on beta for various reasons are testing every single quest, running dungeons multiple times over, and hunting for their favorite items - reaching level cap isn't the concern, getting and seeing everything is. That means they're going to have way better gear, way better knowledge of their class, etc. than we ever did in Vanilla.

For me, back in Classic I did in fact have a Warrior IRL friend who was a complete numbers nerd, hunted for very specific things, would often talk about the benefits of specific stats and so on. I always had the attitude when playing with him of "who cares? I just want to play." but magically whenever I played with other tanks, I felt like I'd been spoiled by my friend because he did not die. Like ever. So we'd always joke around with him as the "unkillable", and he'd even coach me on which items I should take.

Two-handing Ogres hit hard, news at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    You're annoyed that mob damage is based on swing speed and that caster mobs don't do as much damage in melee as melee-oriented mobs? I fail to see the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not even that, look at the swing speeds. It's 1h vs 2h swing speed, and some of the 2h mobs are casters...
    Exactly this also. I remember farming elites outside of Uldaman on my frost mage at low level just for the xp so I could actually pickup some quests without travelling to kalimdor. The, lets call it 'danger', from elite mobs didn't come from just how much they hit for but from how much hp they had.

In instances, unless you were chain pulling tons of packs the individual groups themselves never hit hard anyway. Mobs that do actual damage? Mobs around and including Rattlegore in Scholomance, Ghouls and Abominations & their effects in Strat UD, stealth mobs and some of the dragonkin in UBRS. Pretty much everything else was a complete pushover.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2019-05-28 at 01:34 PM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't this disproven already?
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Wasn't this disproven already?
    Yes, Blizzard literally said that elite mob damage is exactly what it should be according to their 1.12 client.

But nope, this one guy says "oh my god guys, COMMON SENSE!", that means blizzard is wrong

So the truth is based on your "feelings"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Exactly this also. I remember farming elites outside of Uldaman on my frost mage at low level just for the xp so I could actually pickup some quests without travelling to kalimdor, the, lets call it 'danger', from mobs didn't come from just how much they hit for but from how much hp they had.

In instances, unless you were chain pulling tons of packs the individual groups themselves never hit hard anyway. Mobs that do actual damage? Mobs around and including Rattlegore in Scholomance, Ghouls and Abominations & their effects in Strat UD, stealth mobs and some of the dragonkin in UBRS. Pretty much everything else was a complete pushover.
    I seem to remember the battlemages in Strath live being pretty rough if you don't lock them down as well.