Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Should AT&T and Verizon do more to combat hate speech?

Given that our friends on the left wing have made it clear that White Nationalism and Right Wing extremism is on the rise, do you think companies like AT&T and Verizon should do more to combat them? Why should we allow a hateful bigot to operate a mobile phone or have access to the internet? It seems like curtailing access to these would combat this massive problem.

I get the nagging suspicion you aren't posting in good faith. Also your thread title and post read like a Cmdrshep thread minus the first half of your first sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    Given that our friends on the left wing have made it clear that White Nationalism and Right Wing extremism is on the rise, do you think companies like AT&T and Verizon should do more to combat them? Why should we allow a hateful bigot to operate a mobile phone or have access to the internet? It seems like curtailing access to these would combat this massive problem.
    So uh, I know it was a random thought that popped into your head, but could you elaborate on this? How would ISPs know who are "hateful bigots" and/or "white nationalists" (which I still say isn't a terrible thing at its core definition level, it's *acting* on things that I view as over-the-line) to, from what I gather(?) cut-off their access?

Would I be shut-off in this scenario because I hold the belief that a certain race is the majority of drug dealers and violent criminals, even though statistics prove it? Would I be shut-off in this scenario because I hold the belief there's a specific look to what the typical pedophile looks like?

Also, who says it's a "massive problem"? We're humans, we all have different likes and dislikes. We all love and hate different things. Acting upon those things TOWARDS others is a whole different story, but just having a view on something (even if it's completely wrong, immoral or otherwise shunned) isn't a terrible thing. This isn't utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So uh, I know it was a random thought that popped into your head, but could you elaborate on this? How would ISPs know who are "hateful bigots" and/or "white nationalists" (which I still say isn't a terrible thing at its core definition level, it's *acting* on things that I view as over-the-line) to, from what I gather(?) cut-off their access?

Would I be shut-off in this scenario because I hold the belief that a certain race is the majority of drug dealers and violent criminals, even though statistics prove it? Would I be shut-off in this scenario because I hold the belief there's a specific look to what the typical pedophile looks like?

Also, who says it's a "massive problem"? We're humans, we all have different likes and dislikes. We all love and hate different things. Acting upon those things TOWARDS others is a whole different story, but just having a view on something (even if it's completely wrong, immoral or otherwise shunned) isn't a terrible thing. This isn't utopia.
    That's a good question, but the Tech giants seem to have a system. Given how intertwined tech and mobile devices are that would seem to be a good place to start.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I get the nagging suspicion you aren't posting in good faith. Also your thread title and post read like a Cmdrshep thread minus the first half of your first sentence.
    Im sorry you feel that way

how about they provide nonshit internet service first, and then we can move on to the hatespeech?

When the colonists signed the Declaration of Independence, the King of England hunted all of them down AND their families and tried to coerce them into compliance. They took away their money, livelihoods, forced their children into the British army and told them it would all stop if they just swore loyalty to the King and England. Instead, they said "Give me liberty or give me death" and their ranks swelled.

Humans are surprisingly hostile to your tactics.

What your proposing just pushes the nation towards civil war. Remember, the alt right believes the problem is the mainstream culture is racist towards whites. What your proposing will be held up as evidence they are correct and the alt right ranks will swell.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    How about they stop being shit companies and being more consumer friendly first?

From what I've heard about your telecom companies I think they should learn some morals first themselves before they start policing others.

this does nothing to fix real problems that barley exist. the left is so hypocritical playing the victim and has so many double standards on certain people can't be racist and how reverse racism isn't real. I am sure there are many people with good intentions but more often then not people jump the gun and call out racism and hate when there is none.

Should they actively look for extremists and remove their accounts? I don't really know how they could do that without listening to conversations/reading texts of users, and I think that'd be both a violation of privacy of customers and an unrealistic burden for those companies. However, I don't have any problem with cutting off known racists and extremists. If you're so much of a raging asshole that nobody in society wants to deal with your bullshit, then go live in the woods and eat squirrels.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

Wait what do you think a pedophile looks like?

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m fine with this idea.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't see what turning off there phones accomplishes doesn't that just breed more hate. all this show is how even those that preach tolerance can't tolerate others. you aren't going to change the world this way people will just be less open about there opinions and more dramatic with there actions which could be worse in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Should they actively look for extremists and remove their accounts? I don't really know how they could do that without listening to conversations/reading texts of users, and I think that'd be both a violation of privacy of customers and an unrealistic burden for those companies. However, I don't have any problem with cutting off known racists and extremists. If you're so much of a raging asshole that nobody in society wants to deal with your bullshit, then go live in the woods and eat squirrels.
    Exactly what's needed, even more polarization. Let's have a civil war!

people should instead of attacking others based on their beliefs and the environment which shaped there thoughts and ideas should help to nurture future generation by example showing love and compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Wait what do you think a pedophile looks like?
    You can find a lot of them if you go outside your room nowadays, It isn't called Faggot Month for no reason(no hate to legit LGBTS intended).
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-06-13 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Infracted for major trolling

Rofl at all the fools who want to censor "hate speech" aka any right wing views. You are going to have a really nasty wake up call when this revolution you want does happen, and you find out the majority of the military, police, defense industry and gun owners are on the right. The left would be crushed. Once you are on the run or in a prison camp maybe you will have time to reflect on how insane you were.

7+ Year Old Account
    Probably everybody right of center is a hateful bigot! Can't ban 150 million people.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-06-13 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Rofl at all the fools who want to censor "hate speech" aka any right wing views. You are going to have a really nasty wake up call when this revolution you want does happen, and you find out the majority of the military, police, defense industry and gun owners are on the right. The left would be crushed. Once you are on the run or in a prison camp maybe you will have time to reflect on how insane you were.
    They wont lol, I mean people(here) are brainwashed to the point that literally good number of them were legit defending Pedos in the different thread some time ago on this forum, there's no helping at this point...
    Last edited by Refreshed287; 2019-06-13 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Not all of us have wet dreams of a civil war