Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    See, the problem here is you are putting the onus on me to write you an essay that well over a thousand people have written.
    Except it wouldn't matter if all the scientists in the world wrote essays about this, economic predictions aren't based on science. The future is unpredictable in principle.

Again this is sounding a lot like your "First Past the Post favors the bold" claim. Which suites, you have a very bourgie status quo bent in all your posts, sometimes to such an obtuse degree that it is impossible to believe you are sincere.
    Actually my FPTP argument is based on the fact that getting rid of it would give an unjustifiable amount of power to the 3rd, 4th, or 5th largest party. Forcing the 1st or 2nd largest party to sacrifice its principles in order to appease a third rate party.

The GDP for the record is arbitrary. CO2 as a greenhouse gas is a fact, it is immutable. The GDP is a completely arbitrary metric subject to being gamed, rigged, cheated and can be changed depending on what numbers feed into it.
    Okay but your making my argument which is that we should avoid arbitrary numbers.

Why the hell I'd care about the GDP versus the world my daughter will inheret when I'm a corpse or reincarnated as a horse or some shit is far more important than stock values in NYC stock exchange or how many lightbulbs got made that year, or preditor drones.
    lol? I was just asking for the author's predictive methodology. If there is none then they should at least have a disclaimer that says their predictions should only be interpreted as speculation.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-06-24 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Never said the whole race.
    Yeah, so it won't solve anything, good to know. I'm sure the super-rich are already working on that(for themselves). You'll be left behind, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    You forgot the part where it matters to us as humans.
    Humans are an irrelevant blink of an eye in the life of this planet.
    They will be gone in this blink regardless of what they do or don't do about CO2 emissions.
    Just enjoy your blink while it lasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    They will be gone in this blink regardless of what they do or don't do about CO2 emissions.
    You know its not about the life of the planet but about humans, right? What you're saying has no relevance. Nobody is going to enjoy the climate disaster that it coming, its going to cause a lot of suffering.

What part of us being able to prevent it is allien to you? And should I be suprised that you're still an Obama supporter?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Except it wouldn't matter if all the scientists in the world wrote essays about this, economic predictions aren't based on science. The future is unpredictable in principle.

Actually my FPTP argument is based on the fact that getting rid of it would give an unjustifiable amount of power to the 3rd largest party. Forcing the largest party to sacrifice its principles in order to appease a third rate party.

Okay but your making my argument which is that we should avoid arbitrary numbers.

lol? I was just asking for the author's predictive methodology. If there is none then they should at least have a disclaimer that says their predictions should only be interpreted as speculation.
    Right, so despite your pretensious talk about "math and metrics" you ignore it at your own conveniance. Mostly to say profoundly dumb things in defense of whatever is the current status quo.

If I see an astroid heading for Earth and the scientists agree, its gunna hit, I am certain that I better do something about the giant space rock. The author's predictive methodology can be found both in his book, the any book on climatology not produced by Exxon, and in any science book about chemistry and atmospheric patterns.

Your position is "We can't hurt muh sacred GDP because it might get hot! We don't know!!!! MUH GDP!!!!" The fact that you don't read the literature on the subject and then ask for proof when there is mountain ranges worth of studies, papers, and scientific research including a global UN Panel of scientists working on this is kind of further evidence of how much of total fraud your schtick tends to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    We have got to reduce the population. We need to quit over-farming and producing large amounts of agriculture. This process creates a lot of pollution. The amount of energy we need for the high population also creates a lot of pollution.
    We don't have to open death camps to accomplish this. We should have every man and woman to get vasectomies and tubal ligations from the time they start puberty. When they are older, have a stable career, income, physical and mental health, they can have the procedure reversed if they want children.
    We should also focus our spending on a better education system for better technology that will help us produce energy with less pollution. I have seen articles about devices that take carbon from the atmosphere.
    Environmentalism makes a Thanos of us all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    3edgy5me.

We are human, we like a living, and should fight to keep living. That is the point of living. If you want to lay down a die, find a rope, make a noose and stop wasting oxygen.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    From my experience, that's very much a suburban American thing. I grew up rurally and thought that was a TV trope, not something people actually did. My trips abroad have also made me think that it's pretty much American.
    Oh it's something people definitely do, and not just in suburban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Oh it's something people definitely do, and not just in suburban areas.
    But... but why?
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    But... but why?
    I think that it is because American culture or lack thereof is very shallow and social bonds really don't exist so status seeking and the judgment by one's peers is the only real social factor in existence.

Deep down I think the impact of strains of Calvinism also is critical since to be wealthy is to be seen as a sign of being of the "elect" or good people. America remains at its core a "Heavenly City of Business".

But... but why?
    I think it's due to our innate nature, as Theo said earlier. Technology has also changed our framework for social referencing. It used to be that you'd compare yourself to your neighbors, now people are comparing themselves to celebrities in TV, film and social media. Social media is especially good at making people think that they can/should become the next Kardashian, or that other people's lives are so much happier than their own.

Research has shown that using social media less often can make people happier, and a lot of that is due to reduced social referencing.

Edit: *social comparison, social referencing happens in infants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think it's due to our innate nature, as Theo said earlier. Technology has also changed our framework for social referencing. It used to be that you'd compare yourself to your neighbors, now people are comparing themselves to celebrities in TV, film and social media. Social media is especially good at making people think that they can/should become the next Kardashian, or that other people's lives are so much happier than their own.

Research has shown that using social media less often can make people happier, and a lot of that is due to reduced social referencing.
    The only social media I use is TikTok and Snapchat and I'm happier for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Going down 5% is way too low anyway, won't make a difference. Think 90%, as a start. With the end goal of 100%.
    For now, the US is still a way bigger problem if you at it per head.

What hubcap is pretty much saying is that China should stop trying to reach the same level of luxury as the US so that the US can keep living with the luxury it has now. They should still be expected to reduce it, but they should not carry a bigger burden just because they got a population of 1.6 Billion.
    I guess its sad that per head logic doesn't save the planet. Just the reality you got to deal with. Like it or not.

I had a facebook years ago. Now I have no social media. I have a few things I follow on reddit and this site basically. I did Snapchat in college, but then they started doing advertisements and wanted to show you "stories" from an area so I dropped it.
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    I had a facebook years ago. Now I have no social media. I have a few things I follow on reddit and this site basically. I did Snapchat in college, but then they started doing advertisements and wanted to show you "stories" from an area so I dropped it.
    Ah, reddit. I liked reddit, but I only follow a few.

I guess I HAD a tumblr for awhile, but no longer use it.

Ah, reddit. I liked reddit, but I only follow a few.

I guess I HAD a tumblr for awhile, but no longer use it.
    I think reddit by default is really bad. I unsubscribed from all the default stuff and curated a small collection of feeds I'm actually passionate about, not walls of meme or cat pictures like they want you to have.
    – C.S. Lewis

https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-s...-of-well-being this class talks about the science pretty broadly. It's free and you can just watch the videos. I recommend it to basically everybody.

Cliffs Notes here: https://www.scribd.com/document/4143...e-on-Happiness I am a really lazy note-taker.

So, for people who actually know (if there is any?) about environmental science in this thread, what exactly happens after all the humans (and presumably other) life is gone? Does the earth start cooling down again and then... well I guess technically evolution starts again with whatever life survived?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So, for people who actually know (if there is any?) about environmental science in this thread, what exactly happens after all the humans (and presumably other) life is gone? Does the earth start cooling down again and then... well I guess technically evolution starts again with whatever life survived?
    As you suggest, not all life would die. Most species will go through a bottleneck event where a few resistant organisms are selected for over the course of the next few hundred-thousands of years. Those who are at biological dead ends for the new climate will be annihilated. Others, like heat-loving microbes, probably won't care. There will probably be a broad extinction, but within a few hundred thousand years you would get a proliferation of new species to fill the void. These species would be well suited for a climate that more closely matches that of a more ancestral Earth climate. And eventually, enough carbon would probably be sequestered to revert the environmental changes to what we see today.

The main issue, I think, is that it will be very hard for us to survive these changes. I will note though that evolution never stopped and is still going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    What to do?
    prepare as best we can, if you live in an era thats going to flood in the next 50+ years now's the time to move, unfortunately there is no political or financial will across the world for fixing the problem and im not just talking about trump for all the shit they say i don't think any of the country's who signed up to the Paris accord have hit there targets, its all just words and making us use different colored bins like its anything but a drop in the ocean but thats just to ease our minds and stop us panicking.

theres comes a point when you stop trying to get the train drivers attention that hes going down a dead end, and start preparing for the crash, we are at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    the earth has had 5 major extinction events, non of them managed to wipe out all life.
    End Ordovician, 444 million years ago, 86% of species lost
    Late Devonian, 375 million years ago, 75% of species lost. ...
    End Permian, 251 million years ago, 96% of species lost. ...
    End Triassic, 200 million years ago, 80% of species lost. ...
    End Cretaceous, 66 million years ago, 76% of all species lost.

as far as we know there is no coming back from a 100% eradication of life on earth, we still don't know how life first started, what conditions were needed to change minerals into biological matter, but there fairly certain that process stopped millions of years ago. extinction events usually take out the most complex and thus less adaptable life, this creates room for new complex life to evolve.

but i wouldn't worry about life one earth, the earth has been way hotter than even the max predicted temp from man made global warming and it was teeming with life.

as you can see on that graph our planet is currently the coldest its been for 450million years, global warming would trigger a minor extinction event, one that might end us in the long run, but life as a whole will be perfectly fine and new things will take the place of what died.