Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    More like you are some weird perverted forum stalker of me. You should let go what ever wet fetishes you have, I'm not interested.
    I'm a what now? You lost me there hypocrite. Is this your attempt to get me to stop? Sorry but that's as useless as you are. Hypocrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Well at least they're being honest now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    I'm a what now? You lost me there hypocrite. Is this your attempt to get me to stop? Sorry but that's as useless as you are. Hypocrite.
    Your malevolence is getting the better of you. CALM DOWN.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Your malevolence is getting the better of you. CALM DOWN.
    My what now? Is my being honest about you being a hypocrite making you sad? Well I would be sorry but you deserve no sympathy hypocrite.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-06-26 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Well at least they're being honest now.

Enough of the personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    I think they're economic refugees looking for jobs.

They're exploiting the asylum process so that they can get into the country.

Maybe, maybe there are like 5 of the 144,000 they arrested in May that have a legit asylum claim.
    1) who gives a fuck what you or anyone "thinks" ? I don't care what people think I want to know what people know and what facts are.
    2) no one is exploding any system, the way the system works is you have to "prove your case" if you can't prove you should be an asylum seeker then you get sent back.

and you literally think the percent of asylum seekers is only 0.0034% that all happen to be coming fromthe most dangerous region in the west?
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-06-26 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    1) who gives a fuck what you or anyone "thinks" ? I don't care what people think I want to know what people know and what facts are.
    2) no one is exploding any system, the way the system works is you have to "prove your case" if you can't prove you should be an asylum seeker then you get sent back.

and you literally think the percent of asylum seekers is only 0.0034% that all happen to be coming fromthe most dangerous region in the west?

I think Honduras has always been dangerous for the poor. I think most of South America is dangerous for the poor. But they've had centuries to fix their problems and they haven't. How is that our fault?

I don't have problems with refugees from Venezuela. I think people are legit in danger in Venezuela. Same goes for Cuba.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I think Honduras has always been dangerous for the poor. I think most of South America is dangerous for the poor. But they've had centuries to fix their problems and they haven't. How is that our fault?

I don't have problems with refugees from Venezuela. I think people are legit in danger in Venezuela. Same goes for Cuba.
    https://medium.com/s/story/timeline-...a-a9bea9ebc148

Educate yourself. The US largely created these situations through a century+ of meddling in and fucking over these countries. We're absolutely a part of the reason why they're in the current state they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    How indeed.

A national spotlight now shines on the border between the United States and Mexico, where heartbreaking images of Central American children being separated from their parents and held in cages demonstrate the consequences of the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance policy” on unauthorized entry into the country, announced in May 2018. Under intense international scrutiny, Trump has now signed an executive order that will keep families detained at the border together, though it is unclear when the more than 2,300 children already separated from their guardians will be returned.

Trump has promised that keeping families together will not prevent his administration from maintaining “strong — very strong — borders,” making it abundantly clear that the crisis of mass detention and deportation at the border and throughout the U.S. is far from over. Meanwhile, Democratic rhetoric of inclusion, integration, and opportunity has failed to fundamentally question the logic of Republican calls for a strong border and the nation’s right to protect its sovereignty.

At the margins of the mainstream discursive stalemate over immigration lies over a century of historical U.S. intervention that politicians and pundits on both sides of the aisle seem determined to silence. Since Theodore Roosevelt in 1904 declared the U.S.’s right to exercise an “international police power” in Latin America, the U.S. has cut deep wounds throughout the region, leaving scars that will last for generations to come. This history of intervention is inextricable from the contemporary Central American crisis of internal and international displacement and migration.

The liberal rhetoric of inclusion and common humanity is insufficient: we must also acknowledge the role that a century of U.S.-backed military coups, corporate plundering, and neoliberal sapping of resources has played in the poverty, instability, and violence that now drives people from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras toward Mexico and the United States. For decades, U.S. policies of military intervention and economic neoliberalism have undermined democracy and stability in the region, creating vacuums of power in which drug cartels and paramilitary alliances have risen. In the past fifteen years alone, CAFTA-DR — a free trade agreement between the U.S. and five Central American countries as well as the Dominican Republic — has restructured the region’s economy and guaranteed economic dependence on the United States through massive trade imbalances and the influx of American agricultural and industrial goods that weaken domestic industries. Yet there are few connections being drawn between the weakening of Central American rural agricultural economies at the hands of CAFTA and the rise in migration from the region in the years since. In general, the U.S. takes no responsibility for the conditions that drive Central American migrants to the border.

U.S. empire thrives on amnesia. The Trump administration cannot remember what it said last week, let alone the actions of presidential administrations long gone that sowed the seeds of today’s immigration crisis. There can be no common-sense immigration “debate” that conveniently ignores the history of U.S. intervention in Central America. Insisting on American values of inclusion and integration only bolsters the very myth of American exceptionalism, a narrative that has erased this nation’s imperial pursuits for over a century.
    You wanna try again and maybe stop trying to push a revisionist historical narrative?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Educate yourself. The US largely created these situations through a century+ of meddling in and fucking over these countries. We're absolutely a part of the reason why they're in the current state they are.
    I like how we linked exactly the same article. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I don't have problems with refugees from Venezuela. I think people are legit in danger in Venezuela.
    You want to ignore American intervention in Latin America? I mean if you're ignorant of America's intervention and how that lead to many problems in Latin America perhaps go learn more and then come back to the topic with new knowledge?

Honduras is the most dangerous country in the west, but you feel only Venezuelans are legit?

You probably has no idea of how US policy affected current Honduras but you speak as though it is a problem that just manifested itself without US intervention.

I bet you think Iran is the way it is today thanks to only Iran and no one else?

America has spend literally over 100 years interfering in Honduras including corrupting officials in their government and bribing them. When Honduras was becoming left wing Regan sent troops to train right wing people and guess how that turned out...the point was to disrupt and that surely did happen complete with guerrilla warfare, but no no... it is all Honduras's fault for... being taken advantage of, by a super power...

In fucking 2009 a democratically elected president was outed in a coup and guess how that happened? Oh... just overthrown by a guy who went to "school of assassins" which was backed by the Regan administration and guess what we did despite falls from the international community to do something... a whole lot of nothing.

It goes on and on and on with Honduras over 100 years of intervention by the states and... it is a wonder why a country can be so fucked up?

https://twitter.com/zachjcarter/stat...28545183584256

Also, bonus twitter thread on the history of Haiti and how France and the US largely fucked over that nation for over a century and a half. It's not a "shithole country" because of their own doing, it's a "shithole country" because western powers made it that way through exploitation and the use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    How indeed.

You wanna try again and maybe stop trying to push a revisionist historical narrative?

- - - Updated - - -

I like how we linked exactly the same article. Lol.

Looks like we all did, it is so so so fucking sad that literally it is one google search away yet people refuse to do even the most basic of research like for fuck sakes why?!

It was the Cold War. People in Latin America didn't want their countries taken over by the communists, we gave them advice and money.

Why wouldn't we?

BTW, FARC just declared peace recently. They're a communist group that had been trying to overthrow the Columbian government since the 1950's. Sure we helped Columbia fight FARC, why wouldn't we?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It was the Cold War. People in Latin America didn't want their countries taken over by the communists, we gave them advice and money.

Why wouldn't we?

BTW, FARC just declared peace recently. They're a communist group that had been trying to overthrow the Columbian government since the 1950's. Sure we helped Columbia fight FARC, why wouldn't we?
    So you didn't read anything then, that's cool. Why are you here then? Why are you responding?

Also, bonus twitter thread on the history of Haiti and how France and the US largely fucked over that nation for over a century and a half. It's not a "shithole country" because of their own doing, it's a "shithole country" because western powers made it that way through exploitation and the use of force.

America seems to suffer from amnesia of the past. Like they'll overthrow a government, back a radical right wing general, and then be socked when years later that radical right wing American trained general stages a coup to steal power. Then they sit back and go "get your shit together!" then they elect another person and... then America is like "but they don't like us enough... send in the cia"

10+ Year Old Account

And largely keep them in a state of economic subservience by means of a political and economic structure that benefits developed countries first and foremost. Resolving the refugee crisis is a function of removing the incentives to leave their home countries in the first place by helping to stabilise them.

- - - Updated - - -

Why wouldn't we?
    The US has been interfering in Latin American affairs since before WWI. Stop lying.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

The US has been interfering in Latin American affairs since before WWI. Stop lying.

I didn't say anything about pre-Cold War. Yes, we have a long history with Latin America. In our defense, we never colonized Latin America and we tried as hard as we could to keep Europe colonials out of Latin America.

-- Capt. Copeland

I didn't say anything about pre-Cold War. Yes, we have a long history with Latin America. In our defense, we never colonized Latin America and we tried as hard as we could to keep Europe colonials out of Latin America.
    Why are you still here if you're not going to bother reading the Medium post detailing the history of US interventions in central/southern America?

Why wouldn't we?

So, why are you still unwilling to back up all your baseless claims? Instead, you want to keep deflecting and putting more garbage on top of it, ho[ping nobody will notice. In the end, any argument you make is going to peel back to you being disingenuous from the outset.

You are literally mentioning intervention, then trying to ignore the intervention.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2019-06-26 at 04:44 PM.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ants-border-fa

Based on the leaked draft of the DHS report, it seems that they'd agree.

When Department of Homeland Security inspectors visited several border facilities in the Rio Grande Valley earlier this month, they found adults and minors with no access to showers, many adults only fed bologna sandwiches, and detainees banging on cell windows — desperately pressing notes to the windows of their cells that detailed their time in custody.

The inspectors compiled a draft report, obtained by BuzzFeed News, that described the conditions as dangerous and prolonged. Some adults were held in standing-room conditions for a week. There was little access to hot showers or hot food for families and children in some facilities. Some kids were being held in closed cells. There was severe overcrowding.

The draft report was written by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General and addressed to the acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan. It comes after inspectors visited five border facilities and two ports of entry during the week of June 10.

It appears to have been sent to DHS officials last week for comments and requests for redactions before being released publicly.

“Specifically, we are recommending that the Department of Homeland Security take immediate steps to alleviate dangerous overcrowding and prolonged detention of children and adults in the Rio Grande Valley,” wrote Jennifer Costello, acting inspector general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats? The US wins the "Not as big a dick as you could have been" award?

It fundamentally disproves your statement that it is "not our problem". Immigration to the US is the result of the US' policies, and it is absolutely typical that the party of "personal responsibility" isn't willing to take any in terms of paying for the damage they've been complicit in inflicting.

How many Republicans take money from corporations that fund agriculture and other value extraction industries in Central America that contribute to the glut of asylum seekers, and then say there's insufficient funds to deal with the problem?