Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Seems the party of "law and order" doesn't care that their president committed a crime to cover up the stupidest lie ever.
    the party of law and order only cares about their (religious) laws being violated, not laws being violated by their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    the party of law and order only cares about their (religious) laws being violated, not laws being violated by their own.
    Oh, they care about laws bring broken, just only when it's a person of color who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh, they care about laws bring broken, just only when it's a person of color who did it.
    which is really their religious laws being violated - a non-white person is existing as an equal to them, and that's against noah's law.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I generally think "people" are on the level of the average Zebra. But a functional society isn't built upon the whims of the lowest common denominator.
    Universal suffrage skews exactly that way, though.

:P Trump is the biggest troll ever:P King of trolls! his biting you with the silliest things ever! And you take the bait every fucking time :P But the biggest shit show troll fest is the Squad! LOL Dems are literally committing political suicide with following this 4 idiots, but they just can't help them self ... LOL Trump is probably laughing his ass off every day :P Trump's ability to troll the Left into making foolish decisions is nothing short of legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    :P Trump is the biggest troll ever:P King of trolls! his biting you with the silliest things ever! And you take the bait every fucking time :P But the biggest shit show troll fest is the Squad! LOL Dems are literally committing political suicide with following this 4 idiots, but they just can't help them self ... LOL Trump is probably laughing his ass off every day :P Trump's ability to troll the Left into making foolish decisions is nothing short of legendary.
    wow someone is giving him waaaaaaaaaaay too much credit. is he also playing 8D chess too?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Got to note that US electoral system wasn't based on universal suffrage as it was initially envisioned.

And a lot of modern problems might come from trying to feed unintended inputs into this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    the Squad! LOL Dems are literally committing political suicide with following this 4 idiots, but they just can't help them self
    I think that rush limbaugh or trump has convinced you that those 4 women have MUCH more clout than they actually do.

Trump still tweeting about Alabama. I believe this is the 5th day.

No doubt he tweets about it on Sunday. I will say Monday. 50/50 if it goes past 7 days.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    wow someone is giving him waaaaaaaaaaay too much credit. is he also playing 8D chess too?
    To the kid's credit, Trump refusing to let go of this Alabama thing has done wonders in keeping the conversation about that; rather then him diverting US navy to his resorts overseas, his continued dismantling of immigration courts, or having a part of the DOJ denying grants to victims of crime because those people said mean things about Trump.

Trump's belligerently stupid, but he's figured out how to keep the media focused on shit that wouldn't matter rather then the shit that actually does. And I hope this stupid Alabama story drops off the face of the planet sooner rather than later because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Skewing that way does not imply or require there not be boundaries. Nor does it imply that they are correct in what they want. This is why referendums are horrific ideas.

The people selected representatives to act on their behalf and make decisions on their behalf combines both the legitimization that can only come from popular assent, along with the filter provided by having a far smaller, select group decide the optimum course of action and keep our system within certain defined boundaries.

If universal suffrage was the end all, be all of democratic, why not put all major pieces of legislation up for a plebiscite every year? Because popular passions are dangerous things and the people are not, and not expected to be, fully informed of everything. It is simply not their job. It is their right and even responsibility, however, to choose representatives whose job it is.

Make no mistake, the founders intention with our system was to constrain the people as much as the branches of government for very, very good reasons. It is our deviancy from their initial direction - this mistaken thought that the fierce urgency of now somehow requires a new approach... that this crisis is somehow special and unique - that gets us into mess after mess after mess.

I'll be direct, if I had it my way, I'd see the 17th Amendment (1913) repealed. Prior to it, Senators were elected by their state legislatures, and not a popular vote. The popular election of US senators has contributed to the draining the importance of the role of state legislatures, and thus State elections and State politics, which is now largely focused on the Governor of said state, if anybody. It's no wonder we, as a people, make the regular mistake of looking to Washington DC to solve all our problems, when we cut the cord connecting more geographically proximal democratic action to the federal level. The founders considered direct election of Senators, and they rejected it, because they wanted, as I do, the role and importance of the State Legislature not to be superseded by the Federal Legislative branch.

Outside of larger states like California dictating how cars will handle emissions and pot legalization very little the states can and should do. Communications have been upgraded since that period in history and our government should be reflective of those changes in my eyes. Sure when you had to wait weeks for a letter state legislatures are very important and could impact you far more then they can ever do today. Less and less people are proud of the state they live in which is reflective of the change in way our government is ran.

I see no problem with the population electing terrible senators as i am of the mindset that we either sink or swim together but i say that as i am relocating to another nation so i can understand the hypocritical nature of that statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    If the GOP thinks he is so great, why not
    Shh! No time for that! Turns out some of those primaries might be back on!

By South Carolina Law you can cancel the primary, if you have a vote at the party's state convention. Which SC didn't do. So by their own law, the primary is back on.

"But Breccia! The law says the state R chair can reverse the decision to cancel. Surely it must also give the same office the power to reverse the decision to hold the primary?"

Oddly enough, that's not spelled out, and you know how laws work. So, either of the primary challengers, or if a new one appears...say, local boy Mark Sanford...they can just sue the state, hold up the law as it's literally written, say "I win", drop the mic, and blast Fallout Boy from a portable Alexa until the judge rules in his favor.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people. I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position? They didn’t, they only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?
    Donald Trump just ended negotiations with the Taliban with a tweet.

This is... probably a good thing, but there is just so much very wrong and weird about this. A negotiation with the Taliban in the US is insane, the idea that the Taliban would be invited into our nation is beyond reprehensible. However the fact that the meeting included the Afghan government is surprising and good, almost enough to make me forgive the bullshit that inviting the Taliban in the first place.

Calling it off by tweet would be incredible, except it is Donald Trump, so no surprise there. This was potentially the sort of big photo op peace deal that he so desperately wanted, so I am a bit surprised he called it off. The tweet reads like he suddenly realized the Taliban were terrible people, which is really the sort of thing you should know going into this.

Still, on the whole this is a welcome development, as I made my opinions on this peace deal quite clear in the thread I made in the topic.

----edit-----
    By the way, this comes less then 2 hours after this story broke:
    US and Taliban reach agreement 'in principle' on Afghanistan, envoy says .

So we saw the shitty deal that had just been negotiated, however the Taliban broke the peace deal within an hour after it was made, and two hours after that Trump canceled it.

So to be clear, I don't blame Trump for breaking it. That was the right thing to do. However how the whole thing was handled was a disaster from start to finish, and the entire episode has further undermined our credibility. I guarantee we have no other plans for Afghanistan now either.
    Last edited by Thekri; 2019-09-08 at 12:20 AM.

Anyone else think that if Obama hadn't killed him Trump would have invited Bin ladin to maralago at this point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    Anyone else think that if Obama hadn't killed him Trump would have
    for a second there, I got transported to an alternate reality where Obama took out Trump lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Donald Trump just ended negotiations with the Taliban with a tweet.

This is... probably a good thing, but there is just so much very wrong and weird about this. A negotiation with the Taliban in the US is insane, the idea that the Taliban would be invited into our nation is beyond reprehensible. However the fact that the meeting included the Afghan government is surprising and good, almost enough to make me forgive the bullshit that inviting the Taliban in the first place.

Calling it off by tweet would be incredible, except it is Donald Trump, so no surprise there. This was potentially the sort of big photo op peace deal that he so desperately wanted, so I am a bit surprised he called it off. The tweet reads like he suddenly realized the Taliban were terrible people, which is really the sort of thing you should know going into this.

Still, on the whole this is a welcome development, as I made my opinions on this peace deal quite clear in the thread I made in the topic.

----edit-----
    By the way, this comes less then 2 hours after this story broke:
    US and Taliban reach agreement 'in principle' on Afghanistan, envoy says .

So we saw the shitty deal that had just been negotiated, however the Taliban broke the peace deal within an hour after it was made, and two hours after that Trump canceled it.

So to be clear, I don't blame Trump for breaking it. That was the right thing to do. However how the whole thing was handled was a disaster from start to finish, and the entire episode has further undermined our credibility. I guarantee we have no other plans for Afghanistan now either.
    I thought it was standard policy that the US did not negotiate with terrorists, so I'm not at all surprised to learn that Trump had intended to do so--and flaked.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I thought it was standard policy that the US did not negotiate with terrorists, so I'm not at all surprised to learn that Trump had intended to do so--and flaked.
    We have been doing so for about 6 months now. But the sheer audacity of negotiating with the Taliban at Camp David, on or very near the anniversary of 9/11, is simply staggering. If you read through the "Agreement" the special envoy says they reached, it is damn near a declaration of American surrender. In return for vague promises, the Taliban got everything. US forces were supposed to withdraw from Afghanistan before the end of the year. And of course the Taliban celebrated by immediately attacking us and killing a US soldier within hours of that announcement, thus triggering that response from Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Thank you. I knew he had said this but did not have the stomach to comb through his monumentally ignorant Twitter feed to find it.

What are the odds Trump is actually a Time traveler and has actually been attacking himself via Twitter this whole time?