Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Why are there so few Hunters?

So far I have run Census Addon on 6 different servers, on both sides, trying to find a new home as my last one was like 30% Alliance and 70% Horde. I knew there would be lots of Mages and Warriors but they fact that only Druids seem to be less played than Hunters is kinda shocking. I figured Hunters would be #3 most played right after Mages and Warriors. They are easily the best solo levelers. Dont count Mage soloing by AoE grinding since pretty much everything is camped at this point making AoE grinding in fact a lot slower than just chain pulling singles non stop. Mage AoE grinding was probably awesome for the first few people who no lifed past the rest of us filthy casuals. However, now every good AoE camp is permacamped making the whole thing inefficient. At least thats the experience im having with my 28 Mage.

They have the tools to pretty much deal with any enemy PvE or PvP out in the world while leveling in the forms of snares, traps, and pet abilities. They have aspect of the cheetah, which is a great alternative until you can afford your mount. Also great for turning tail and hauling ass if you see 3 enemy faction members coming your way. Yet hardly anyone is playing Hunter, why is that? I started playing Vanilla about halfway through WoW's launch and I remember seeing Hunters everywhere. So why all of a sudden are they a garbage class if Blizzard supposedly didnt change much from how things originally were during the game's launch?

because hunters are bugged as shit. feign doesnt work correctly in pve, pets are retarded. scatter + trap on dr.

Because pet ai is horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because most of them quit when pet runs away

also having to buy (or make) bullets/arrows to just play your class is horrible.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Back in 2004/5 people mostly cared about easy soloplay while leveling, that's where hunters shine and that's why they were so plenty.

Now people know that hunters are among the weaker DPS at lvl60 and basically only are wanted for the rage dispell. I swear i see 10times more mages than in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    also having to buy (or make) bullets/arrows to just play your class is horrible.
    this was in game until Cata and lots of people still played Hunters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Because most of them quit when pet runs away
    what do you mean? Do you mean people forgetting to feed their pets or the pet just randomly runs away?

no pet at the beginning, slow attack speed meant you couldn't tag anything in the mad rush in the first week.
    then once you get rolling managing your pet, managing arrows/bullets, managing your dead zone.
    hunters have a lot of management problems that you have to deal with

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Same problem as with Enhancement Shamans and Rets, they are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    this was in game until Cata and lots of people still played Hunters.

- - - Updated - - -

what do you mean? Do you mean people forgetting to feed their pets or the pet just randomly runs away?
    The ammo comment is incredibly relevant though for what's essentially a "starting server" where everyone is trying to afford a mount and riding, very few people have alts and everything is rather expensive.

Also I'd say that ammo - even more than weapon skill - is a huge problem as you are leveling and swap from bow to gun and back and forth. Even if you're able to craft your own it adds layers of inconvenience to the game that people aren't always wanting to deal with.

Wasn't hunter the last class added and broken still at this patch level?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Now people know that hunters are among the weaker DPS at lvl60 and basically only are wanted for the rage dispell. I swear i see 10times more mages than in 2005.
    Ah yes, the classic community.. caring for min maxing above everything else.
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

Guess Im going Warlock once I pick a new server lol.

Dunno, I've been a hunter since I've started, so i made a hunter in classic as well. Pet ai is a bit bugged, but so far it hasn't given me too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    So far I have run Census Addon on 6 different servers, on both sides, trying to find a new home as my last one was like 30% Alliance and 70% Horde. I knew there would be lots of Mages and Warriors but they fact that only Druids seem to be less played than Hunters is kinda shocking. I figured Hunters would be #3 most played right after Mages and Warriors. They are easily the best solo levelers. Dont count Mage soloing by AoE grinding since pretty much everything is camped at this point making AoE grinding in fact a lot slower than just chain pulling singles non stop. Mage AoE grinding was probably awesome for the first few people who no lifed past the rest of us filthy casuals. However, now every good AoE camp is permacamped making the whole thing inefficient. At least thats the experience im having with my 28 Mage.

They have the tools to pretty much deal with any enemy PvE or PvP out in the world while leveling in the forms of snares, traps, and pet abilities. They have aspect of the cheetah, which is a great alternative until you can afford your mount. Also great for turning tail and hauling ass if you see 3 enemy faction members coming your way. Yet hardly anyone is playing Hunter, why is that? I started playing Vanilla about halfway through WoW's launch and I remember seeing Hunters everywhere. So why all of a sudden are they a garbage class if Blizzard supposedly didnt change much from how things originally were during the game's launch?

If you ignore all the classes better at leveling, they're great at leveling, on top of being bad in raids, poorly designed, and unfun to play? Wooooow. Sign me up.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Having to use weapon swing ontop of the 500ms autoattack window for no benefit tends to turn people away

Bugged pet AI, attacks not landing when pet is moving, external resources required for optimized pet taming, camping spawns for days, ammo, deadzone and being OOM every other pull.

Don’t get me wrong I love hunters and mine is 42 currently but at the end of the day it’s a frustrating class that is buggy in whole new ways in Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot about the deadzone... kinda would ruin the class for anyone.

People are META sheeps, even more in Classic.

Hunters are great with solo questing, you have your own tank and don't have to outlevel your questing/grinding area to progress.
    In MC/BWL Hunters are not even that behind, since you get very early your 100% weaponS Lok/Rhok and with the BWL xbow you catch up again.

Hunters are 15-20% behind in full naxx gear, thats not even as bad as Retail deltas between DPS specs.

In the end it is at least funny to watch people suffer. The majority of warriors, suffering with solo questing or completly burn out with dungeon spam will never play long enough to even see the scaling benefits from gear.
    -