Page 20 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    The only rule was that it's insulting to Chinese Communist Party and Chinese Branch of Heartstone decided that.
    But the rule violated has nothing to do with the Chinese communist party. You even just got down saying you fully support that same rule being used for "western problems". So stop saying this has anything to do with Blizzard and their rule or enforcement of the rule. You don't even care about Blizzard. You have stated all you care about is that it is something you can use to further Anti-CCP discussions.

This should be the greater problem. That the rule literally doesn't matter when enforced for other countries political statements. But it matters for China just because it is China. So then leave the attacks and protests on Blizzard out of it if they are ultimately irrelevant according to your own words.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    China should be like Zion from the Matrix.

Shit boy labor for the west then every couple decades we come and destroy their shit so they stay in that position
    China has 1.3 billion people and nuclear weapons. You can't just "destroy their shit".
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Just to be clear, the tournament was based in Taiwan (ROC).
    The same Taiwan that PRC always goes to all the lengths to ensure to make it seem that it doesn't exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    So tell me exactly how a couple months of protests have done to change ANYTHING for Hong Kong against a country that has literally said fuck all to all punishments and weak ass "oh, they shouldn't do that" in the past 50 years? They pretty much openly flaunt all human right abuses, religious persecutions, etc.

Unless the majority of their citizens rise up violently against their government or their economy crashes to shit, nothing will change from this.
    Things don't change if you don't make noise. Protests and uprisings have been one of the main avenues of affecting change especially in terms of bringing democracy or at least freedom to many countries. Crack open a history book and you might just learn something.

And for those of you bitching and whining about politics being in your video games: entertainment such as books and music and then later tv and movies have long since been ways of spreading political messages for hundreds if not thousands of years. Get the fuck over it already.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    It is almost as if silencing dissent is completely different than "not taking a political stance". This decision by Blizzard 100% was politically motivated. Blizzard absolutely 100% took a political stance with their actions. THAT is what people are taking issue with.
    So saying you can't take political stances during official broadcasts as outlined in rules that have existed for years is not acceptable is a political stance? So enforcing it is a political stance. Not enforcing it is a political stance. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. This is why people taking issue with it isn't right. Blizzard didn't make a political stance.

They tried to remain neutral. They enforced the rules. They left other commentary about it out of the equation. They mentioned small support for free speech and that was it. Blizzard is trying its hardest to not take a political side. While that can be debated to be good or bad they shouldn't be crucified just because they want to remain neutral. When hundreds of other companies and entities want to remain neutral as well.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    China has 1.3 billion people and nuclear weapons. You can't just "destroy their shit".
    It will come to it eventually. We just have to be more proactive to destroy their shit before they get ICBMs next time.

1.3 billion doesnt really matter since they can be butchered in the tens of thousands by air.

The West kinda has nothing to offer to get China to change their mind. In fact, China could band with Russia and help sow discord between political factions and wreck the West instead.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But the rule violated has nothing to do with the Chinese communist party. You even just got down saying you fully support that same rule being used for "western problems". So stop saying this has anything to do with Blizzard and their rule or enforcement of the rule. You don't even care about Blizzard. You have stated all you care about is that it is something you can use to further Anti-CCP discussions.

This should be the greater problem. That the rule literally doesn't matter when enforced for other countries political statements. But it matters for China just because it is China. So then leave the attacks and protests on Blizzard out of it if they are ultimately irrelevant according to your own words.
    It is Blizzard issue, because I spent my life supporting Blizzard through buying their games and yesterday they chose a side in politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same Taiwan that PRC always goes to all the lengths to ensure to make it seem that it doesn't exist?
    Yup, which is one of the reason why I said any business with china will be political. If this was hosted in mainland china, Blitzchung will not be seen ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    What the actual fuck is wrong with you people that are defending China? Oh right I forgot China is Trump's new best friend.
    I'm not defending China.

What the actual fuck is wrong with you people ?
    A competitive event isn't the place to do politics shenanigans. It was crystal clear in the rules of the event. He broke the rules, he pay the price. It has nothing to do with China and everything in respecting a contract.

If you want to be all political, send thought and prayer on facebook and twitter like everyone else.

Blizzard obviously didn't want to be involved in politics and just wants to make money like any company does. Unfortunately by suspending this player they have taken a political stance. I can understand why, what I don't understand is why they would fire the casters who had nothing to do with the incident.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is Blizzard issue, because I spent my life supporting Blizzard through buying their games and yesterday they chose a side in politics.
    They didn't though. And it isn't about them choosing a side because using your logic they had no choice but to choose a side. You are whining because they choose a side opposite of yours. If they did nothing they would be choosing a side and you and others would be praising them for supporting Hong Kong protestors. Just as you are now bashing them even though you've stated what they did is 100% acceptable if used on other topics.

Blizzard has always taken sides on issues. You've also been a member of this website since 2014 despite different owners who have taken political sides before even ones against what you currently stand for now. Yet here you are. Why is it a concern now? Why were you still using Blizzard products despite the rule they enforced being in place for years? Exactly. You didn't give a shit because you thought it was fine. Until you got triggered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, the geopolitics are murky, because PRC says they have sovereignty over the ROC.

And the situation in Hong Kong is just as murky, if not moreso.

It makes this a very difficult situation for Blizzard to navigate because there are the competing interests of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland China all involved, and China has enormous political and economic influence they can exert over Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    They didn't though. And it isn't about them choosing a side because using your logic they had no choice but to choose a side. You are whining because they choose a side opposite of yours. If they did nothing they would be choosing a side and you and others would be praising them for supporting Hong Kong protestors. Just as you are now bashing them even though you've stated what they did is 100% acceptable if used on other topics.

Blizzard has always taken sides on issues. You've also been a member of this website since 2014 despite different owners who have taken political sides before even ones against what you currently stand for now. Yet here you are. Why is it a concern now? Why were you still using Blizzard products despite the rule they enforced being in place for years? Exactly. You didn't give a shit because you thought it was fine. Until you got triggered.
    You're saying you're siding with Chinese communist party then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I can understand why, what I don't understand is why they would fire the casters who had nothing to do with the incident.
    Because they egged him on to say the inflammatory statement, then jokingly ducked off camera.

Arguably they are more responsible than the player, since they are directly under their employ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Just to be clear, the tournament was based in Taiwan (ROC) with casters working for Blizzard Taiwan. It was featuring players (attending via livestream) from all over the Asian-Pacific region, but Blitzchung was the only player from Hong Kong (PRC). Most were from Korea, Japan, and Australia or New Zealand.

(Also, for the record, I have seen reports calling him a "Hearthstone champion," which isn't really true. He is a tier 1 player but he placed 13-14th in this tournament, with $3000 in winnings.)

It was being broadcast in China, and I believe NetEase was surely involved in organizing and making the ruling, as they are Blizzard's publishing partner in Mainland China, but I'm not sure to what degree Blizzard Taiwan could be held culpable for broadcasting speech that the Chinese government deams illegal, and nor do I want to pretend to fully understand the complex geopolitical dynamics in the region. It's murky.

It's a much more complex situation than, for example, the NBA tweets, because that was about an American team owner tweeting something privately.

This is a Chinese citizen on a Taiwanese broadcast hosted by Blizzard Taiwan and broadcast worldwide.

I do want to say again that I think Blizzard handled this poorly and was too overzealous in their punishment. Even ignoring morality, it was stupid. They drew so much attention to it. If they had let it go, or given them a slap on the wrists and a warning, likely nobody would be thinking twice.
    Im searching if Taiwan is led by the Chinese government or not.

But this crap is too complicated for me.
    From my understanding...there are 2 Chinese governments. The People's Republic of China (PRC; commonly known as "China") and the Republic of China (ROC; commonly known as "Taiwan").

So technically...the tournament was NOT in actual China?

LOL im not going to pretend i know this stuff. But this is all very complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...atus_of_Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    I'm not defending China.

What the actual fuck is wrong with you people ?
    A competitive event isn't the place to do politics shenanigans. It was crystal clear in the rules of the event. He broke the rules, he pay the price. It has nothing to do with China and everything in respecting a contract.

If you want to be all political, send thought and prayer on facebook and twitter like everyone else.
    You are extremely naive to think nothing would've happened if blizzard did nothing.

The corporate handbook to fixing this PR issue says to deflect to something else altogether. So that means Blizzard will (within a week or two) announce a major humanitarian aid mission sponsored by the company to some starving third-world nation like Haiti. Then you devote the opening ceremony to the new Blizzard Haiti Relief Program. No-one can boo them then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    So technically...the tournament was NOT in actual China?
    Again this depends on perspective. From the PRC perspective it was held in China, from the ROC perspective it was held in Taiwan.

Hong Kong is part of the PRC but they were a British colony up until 1997 when the UK handed sovereignty back over to China. Since then Hong Kong has consistently resisted control by the Chinese government, and they have their unique "one country, two systems" policy that allows Hong Kong to enjoy greater civil liberty than the rest of China. These recent protests are in response to the Chinese government trying to clamp down and tighten control over Hong Kong, particularly legislation that would allow them to extradite criminals (including political dissenters). There is also a movement within Hong Kong to seek independence through revolution.

The PRC characterizes the protests as violent, rioting, treason, etc. in the state-run media and so a majority of people living in mainland China are opposed to the protests and view the protestors as the problem rather than the government.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're saying you're siding with Chinese communist party then?
    Where did I say that? This is the problem. You only see what you want to see and anyone that doesn't agree with you 100% is the enemy.