Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic-RaidLead View Post
    So would that make anyone who advocates for the death penalty a horrible person? Your logic is flawed.

No, I want to experiment on the worst of the worst first. When it becomes absolutely safe, than I might try self modification with it. Ultimately we will test first on animals, than on the worst prisoners. I will use it once I know it's safe enough and probably for different things. I am a very moral person so I don't think I need moral enhancements that say... rapists, grievous assaulters and murderers do.
    It's your logic, don't blame me... blame math.

So would that make anyone who advocates for the death penalty a horrible person? Your logic is flawed.

No, I want to experiment on the worst of the worst first. When it becomes absolutely safe, than I might try self modification with it. Ultimately we will test first on animals, than on the worst prisoners. I will use it once I know it's safe enough and probably for different things. I am a very moral person so I don't think I need moral enhancements that say... rapists, grievous assaulters and murderers do.
    The only way any of this is ethical is if the person has a choice in it. If it is completely voluntary. If it is mandatory or forced, it is an unethical medical procedure and should be treated as such.

We do human testing quite often, however those who are being tested on have completely consented to being tested on, along with being told of all of what might happen. If a prisoner wanted, that is it is completely voluntary and it is explained as such, an experimental medical procedure that might deal with any mental illness, then that is up to them. The state, however, cannot force them to undergo it.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The only way any of this is ethical is if the person has a choice in it. If it is completely voluntary. If it is mandatory or forced, it is an unethical medical procedure and should be treated as such.

We do human testing quite often, however those who are being tested on have completely consented to being tested on, along with being told of all of what might happen. If a prisoner wanted, that is it is completely voluntary and it is explained as such, an experimental medical procedure that might deal with any mental illness, then that is up to them. The state, however, cannot force them to undergo it.
    dont try and bring logic into this. its a fantasy world where human rights only apply to those he deems worthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    In before we start reprogramming those who say things we don't agree with too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post

I'm fine with that. Hey guy that killed some woman, you want to stay in jail for what is two life times or become genetically altered so you could be reintroduced into society within a few years? Not exactly a hard choice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I'm fine with that. Hey guy that killed some woman, you want to stay in jail for what is two life times or become genetically altered so you could be reintroduced into society within a few years? Not exactly a hard choice there.
    I think that would be a good compromise. It's not exactly forcing, we are basically asking for their consent. I think this should stand up to any human rights concern with flying colors. I still prefer to just straight up strapping them in for surgery-mental reprogramming, but I'm a practical, reasonable person and I understand I'm not always going to get what I want. Giving them an option to have their sentence of life without parole reduced to a promise of release and complete reintegration into society at some point in the future IF they agree to treatment is something that I will accept as a compromise between my ideal system and what liberal/leftists want.

I'm so sick of this "Soft on Crime" nonsense. I am willing to even compromise on a "Accept rehabilitation mental reprogramming or be institutionalized for life" as a middle ground that the ACLU and other libtard organizations would accept.
    Last edited by Mythic-RaidLead; 2019-10-18 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that would be a good compromise. It's not exactly forcing, we are basically asking for their consent. I think this should stand up to any human rights concern with flying colors. I still prefer to just straight up strapping them in for surgery-mental reprogramming, but I'm a practical, reasonable person and I understand I'm not always going to get what I want. Giving them an option to have their sentence of life without parole reduced to a promise of release and complete reintegration into society at some point in the future IF they agree to treatment is something that I will accept as a compromise between my ideal system and what liberal/leftists want.

I'm so sick of this "Soft on Crime" nonsense. I am willing to even compromise on a "Accept rehabilitation mental reprogramming or be institutionalized for life" as a middle ground that the ACLU and other libtard organizations would accept.
    The goal of jailing people should always be to rehabilitate the criminals, and not just lock them away in a prison system that tries to exploit these people for profit making. When you talk about murder, rape, mutilation type crimes then you need a more drastic approach to dealing with these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The goal of jailing people should always be to rehabilitate the criminals, and not just lock them away in a prison system that tries to exploit these people for profit making. When you talk about murder, rape, mutilation type crimes then you need a more drastic approach to dealing with these people.
    No, the goal should be to keep them away from society so they cannot hurt others again. Be that by locking them up or executing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, the goal should be to keep them away from society so they cannot hurt others again. Be that by locking them up or executing them.
    The goal in most countries is rehabilitation so they won't want to. There are just a few where the goal is to be punitive, and I'm glad I don't live in one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The goal in most countries is rehabilitation so they won't want to. There are just a few where the goal is to be punitive, and I'm glad I don't live in one of those
    I fully support correcting the offending party's behavior as the goal. But don't expect me to be soft about it. I'm ok with getting a consent from the offending party via threats of life long institutionalization in a psychiatric facility or whatever is equivalent for the worst crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm not sure fucking around with someone's brain is the way to go. Nor do I think 0% recidivism is possible, short of just burying every criminal. However, lowering the recidivism rate is a noble goal. To that end, might I suggest:

1. Eliminate prisons for profit.

2. Prison should become a rehabilitation center. Job skills, health care (mental health), positive environment, etc. No more crime schools. Definitely do the time of the crime, but also have a positive exit strategy to rejoin society.

3. Non-violent crimes not showing up on background checks.

Those three things would dramatically change how many people return to the prison system.
    Financial crimes should absolutely show up, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fully support correcting the offending party's behavior as the goal. But don't expect me to be soft about it. I'm ok with getting a consent from the offending party via threats of life long institutionalization in a psychiatric facility or whatever is equivalent for the worst crimes.
    How do you STILL not get what consent is? You cannot get consent if you threaten someone.

In the most basic sense, consider a guy mugging you. "Give me all your money or I shoot you" No matter what he does, he now has consent, because you had a choice. So either you lose your money or you die, but clearly it's consensual, right?

And besides, if you somehow get mindcontrol tech like you want, there's no guarantee the government or someone else won't use it on you to make you fall more in line with their policies.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Financial crimes should absolutely show up, though.
    Why?

My biggest problem with post-jail is what's the point of the jail sentence having a time length if the released felon will continue to be punished for their crimes. And I admit right off the bat I don't see any solid solution to even what I'm proposing.

Why only do criminals? From the moment someone's born change their brain so they will never want to hurt anyone else! Then everyone can live happily in big brothers arms yay!

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Why?
    Re; Financial crimes.

Past crimes are red flags of where a person abused trust. If someone was guilty of till-tapping, you're not going to want to hire that person to work anywhere near cash. Same with credit cards.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Re; Financial crimes.

Past crimes are red flags of where a person abused trust. If someone was guilty of till-tapping, you're not going to want to hire that person to work anywhere near cash. Same with credit cards.
    So, I'm of two minds, and apologies ahead of time for the devil's advocating of this whole topic.

While past crimes are certainly an indication of abused trust (well, actually, proof - lol) that behavior can change - in fact, the point of prison is to fix (rehabilitate) that behavior. Now, I know that our prisons don't do any kind of rehabilitating, but still, the point is that the prison term is the punishment, not the post prison term. The whole idea of making a mistake and learning from it has been abandoned by our society. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

How can people get past a mistake if no one will let them?

On the flip side, I'm not sure I'd want a convicted thief working in my grocery.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-10-18 at 09:54 PM.

Time is the only way to regain trust.
    I may not hire a person to work a register, but he can work the stock area. And the longer around, the more I can judge the character of the person.

No one just hires a person with a dubious background and thinks "Well, he did his time..so I can trust him."

I liked the babylon 5 capital punishment tbh.

Death of personality. Some powerful telepath just literally erases you but leaves the body intact and allows a new personality to form.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I liked the babylon 5 capital punishment tbh. Death of personality. Some powerful telepath just literally erases you but leaves the body intact and allows a new personality to form.
    Reminds me of when the show "Heroes" like the 3 episode I think, Clare's would-be rapist got his memory completely erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Reminds me of when the show "Heroes" like the 3 episode I think, Clare's would-be rapist got his memory completely erased.
    I mean it's both a horrifying sentence, and surprisingly humane.