Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And exactly how does burning down Teldrassil and crippling an entire army play into her master plan? In no way does she fall into this "evil with a good heart" archetype. Her actions are self-serving--she doesn't care about anyone or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Can you stop going around using the phrase "Broke their limiter" It's kinda weird. "They" didn't do anything if "they" are powered up by every evil bad guy who powers people up. Anyone can break their limits if they get on their knees for every evil doer to give them more power, but it wasn't "they" who broke it.
    I think I'm getting sick of people empowering other people everywhere, it has gotten out of hands. That's even weirder for Sylvanas which has had no interaction at all with her "powerful ally", she never used any relic or artifact to grant her power. She just gets them out of thin air because why not. Every single empowered baddie in the past had an artifact or an actual physical interaction to gain power (except Gul'dan maybe ?).

Plus, the power gainz were always limited to be reasonable. With Sylvanas it is ridiculous, I'm only expecting a ridiculous ending to this shitshow, either she will die a stupid death from her own arrogance, or we will become demigod or full-god to defeat her with another kamehameha coming from the Power of Friendship™.

Remember when Bwonsamdi's gift to Rastakhan only made him jump high and throw one punch to Zul, not even knocking him down ? Yeah

I do not share the OP's faith in Sylvanas' ability to be altruistic. She is basically mortal evil incarnate at this stage...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    Sylvanas motives continue to be entirely selfish and self serving tho... that's the point.
    Not entirely. She desperately wanted to have her sisters become undead so they could be together forever. But she couldn't do it her love for them outweighed her selfish desire.

Thats her motivation and why she would burn the world of the living to save the world of the dead. The thought of her family suffering in eternal torment a torment she has already experienced is driving her.

What are the lives of mortals when compared to the eternal suffering and damnation of everyone in the multiverse for all of eternity?

Is it better to kill no one and do nothing knowing they will be damned for eternity or to sacrifice thousands to spare them and everyone else from the Maw?

I love that that lead story designer will be forever known as a creepy neckbeard m'lady.

Also if blizzard plans on giving sylvanas a redemption arc, which they shouldn't after all crap she did. But say they will.

Ill quote Deputy U.S. Marshal Samuel Gerard from the fugitive: "I don't care".

Great now i want Tyrande to do the fugitive speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    People have been debating what "I will set us all free," means, why she's going to the Shadowlands, etc. since the trailer dropped. I think I know.

Sylvanas made a pact with The Jailer for the same reason Illidan made a pact with Sargeras - to gain his powers with the intention of using them against him.

Her end goal is to kill the Jailer, take his place as one of the lords of Death, end the concept of Hell as it exists in the Warcraft universe, and become the God-Queen of the Shadowlands.

Then, her dark and terrible powers over Death will be instrumental in defeating the Void Lords in 10.0.

And she's the current Game Director's favorite character, so she has enough plot armor to make it happen.
    This is my biggest fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Not entirely. She desperately wanted to have her sisters become undead so they could be together forever. But she couldn't do it her love for them outweighed her selfish desire.
    I get the distinct impression that she wanted to kill them so they'd be out of her way. But she didn't either because 1) she retained some feeling for them or 2) knew that killing them would make things a lot more complicated for her.

Thats her motivation and why she would burn the world of the living to save the world of the dead. The thought of her family suffering in eternal torment a torment she has already experienced is driving her.

What are the lives of mortals when compared to the eternal suffering and damnation of everyone in the multiverse for all of eternity?

Is it better to kill no one and do nothing knowing they will be damned for eternity or to sacrifice thousands to spare them and everyone else from the Maw?
    They're only "damned for eternity" if they're evil monsters like Arthas or, apparently, her.

I really don't buy any "altruistic" angle from Sylvanas. Frankly, she's way too much of a petulant bitch.

She doesn't have the gravitas (or writing) of someone serving a higher purpose other than her own ends.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    i would say the core of the Char's are not the same
    but the writers are reusing plots from previous expansions, but it will not end the same way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I honestly feel far too much is made of Danuser's tweets.
    i'm not aware of this tweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipnuts View Post
    And exactly how does burning down Teldrassil and crippling an entire army play into her master plan? In no way does she fall into this "evil with a good heart" archetype. Her actions are self-serving--she doesn't care about anyone or anything else.
    Because she needed to send them to hell so she could get more power so she could be powerful enough to beat the jailer and save the whole afterlife as well as the universe and become queen of the Shadowlands.

Come on, EVERYONE can see this coming right?

Before expansion ends even Tyrande will be shedding a tear for Sylvanas and how selfless she was killing all those elves to be able to save their souls
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    People have been debating what "I will set us all free," means, why she's going to the Shadowlands, etc. since the trailer dropped. I think I know.

Sylvanas made a pact with The Jailer for the same reason Illidan made a pact with Sargeras - to gain his powers with the intention of using them against him.

Her end goal is to kill the Jailer, take his place as one of the lords of Death, end the concept of Hell as it exists in the Warcraft universe, and become the God-Queen of the Shadowlands.

Then, her dark and terrible powers over Death will be instrumental in defeating the Void Lords in 10.0.

And she's the current Game Director's favorite character, so she has enough plot armor to make it happen.
    For the love that is all unholy I hope that is not going to happen. With Illidan it mostly made sense, but Sylvannas is totally selfish (Well at least I view her like that) and it wouldn't make sense for the story...but then again, I really worry after she said "I will set US ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_MAX View Post
    For the love that is all unholy I hope that is not going to happen. With Illidan it mostly made sense, but Sylvannas is totally selfish (Well at least I view her like that) and it wouldn't make sense for the story...but then again, I really worry after she said "I will set US ...."
    Amen to that. Just let her be evil. So i can kill her and put her head on a pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Seradi View Post
    It’s not an opinion so much as just looking at something objectively and not screeching cos I incorrectly think 1 dude made the entire development team bend to his will to make a story where a bunch of nelves died. I mean sure go ahead and think he’s cringey, I certainly think most RP I see is cringey so I feel you on that.
    That's just exaggerating.
    I wouldn't say that's screeching. I also didn't say anything about 1 dude making the entire development team.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-11-05 at 12:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Think about it - whether if you're alliance or horde you can like Illidan and Arthas - if you're Alliance (or prefer Thrall's Horde) - chances are you don't like Sylvanas, Illidan and Arthas can be liked by anyone, Sylvanas is cut off from three quarters of the playerbase by the nature of her character
    Here's a fact: most players aren't that ferventely loyal to one faction to the point of being unable to like a character on the other. That's how most "Alliance" and "Horde" players are, to the point that they can be barely be associated to one faction to begin with (despite favoring one for countless factors, sometimes not even related to the lore). The "Alliance" and "Horde" players that develop a solid partisanship are nothing but a barely relevant minority compared to the entirety of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I think that you're wrong. I would even say that it's in the other way, that Illidan has larger fan-base than she will ever have.
    I really don't see where people get that. Yes, Illidan is indeed popular but also considered a poor man's edgy anti-hero by several others after his Legion comeback, and before that was considered little more than a total waste all the way back to TBC. The bulk of the Illidan's relevance was almost entirely tied to his shining moments in WC3 and a lot of time has passed since then. On the other hand, Sylvanas has grown more and more relevant to the main plot and managed to do so by even escaping the villain bat (for now).
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

I really don't see where people get that. Yes, Illidan is indeed popular but also considered a poor man's edgy anti-hero by several others after his Legion comeback, and before that was considered little more than a total waste all the way back to TBC. The bulk of the Illidan's relevance was almost entirely tied to his shining moments in WC3 and a lot of time has passed since then. On the other hand, Sylvanas has grown more and more relevant to the main plot and managed to do so by even escaping the villain bat (for now).
    I could've said the same with Sylvanas, she was much better in Wc3. Illidan at least got a few good moments in the Legion, so I guess after his "I'm my scars" his fanbase grew much larger than it was before(and I think it was really huge back then). Of course the Dark Lady also had nice moments, but they were nothing compared to the Stormrage.

We can just speculate, but it's impossible to say which one had larger fan-base, we could've just made a poll on this forum and still the result wouldn't be trustworthy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    i'm not aware of this tweet.
    Gets posted pretty often here, especially accompanying criticism of WoW's story or specific criticism of the developers. You can see them here.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

No queen rules forever !

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Finally, she's been in three expansion trailers and central to three expansion's stories in a row - that's too much for ANY character, let alone one so polarising
    This is unfortunately what i think will be the biggest detractor to any developments she gets in this upcoming expansion. It's *somewhat* Thrall/Green Jesus all over again.

I like her character, i liked it much more before they made her a flippant tantrum throwing, moustache twirling cartoon villain. But having her as the central focus for basically all story development shown in game for now going on 3 expansions is... too much..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Gets posted pretty often here, especially accompanying criticism of WoW's story or specific criticism of the developers. You can see them here.
    this is seems, he is just having fun !
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    this is seems, he is just having fun !
    I agree, but it's become something of a meme as they say nowadays. There's an NPC in WoW named Moorgard based on him, who's basically besotted with a Dark Ranger who wants nothing to do with him. It's stupid and funny, not really something to get up in arms about, IMO.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Because she needed to send them to hell so she could get more power so she could be powerful enough to beat the jailer and save the whole afterlife as well as the universe and become queen of the Shadowlands.
    Then why was her original plan to kill Malfurion and capture Darnassus, ensuing dominance in Kalimdor, light or no retaliation and Alliance retreating? It was Saurfang who botched this plan, which caused Sylv to declare "plan B, fuck the tree". Had he not done that, there would be way less bloodshed and casualities, no burning of Teldrassil, no Siege of Undercity, quite likely no events of BfA. Was Saurfang in on all this after all?