Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    <uses his best sing-song voice> Wrong, wrong wrong wrong, wroooonnnng.

They've repeatedly stated that it's going to be much faster. The fact that you can do it in a single expansion's major quest chains says it all.

But hey, why let facts get in the way, right?
    they repeated this AFTER i posted that comment, but sure

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    How can you be excited? I preordered the xpac and it said I'll get boost to lvl 120 and right after I heard they'll wipe 120 characters to 50. That is just big scam... they should mention it in SHOP that characters will squish to 50 so people can think twice if they'll buy the expansion.
    But I guess by not mentioning that they'll get more preorders...
    Not being rude but you have clear mental issue buddy, A level 120 being lowered 50 is not the same as jumping into the new system and leveling 1 - 50. Your 120 that you got will be ready for the expack. People who are 50 right now will be lowered to like level 22. The ingame leveling is getting a massive buff. Alot of internet haters bitched about leveling. So now its easier and you can do it in any expack in a way that makes sense. You should really quit moaning about it and plus you bought the game so you are supporting it. Duh.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by LorDC View Post
    And that matters for, like what, one week every other year? Pretty much everything and and everyone assumes that you are at level cap, and not being at it is considered a short transitive state.

Why do you even need leveling content? Why is it bad that someone breezes through it?
    Now, I am not saying that levels system is bad. It works fine, and squishing levels is a small price to pay.
    I'm pretty sure you are aware that this squish is primarily for new players that read the back of the box and reads that there are 120 levels to max and get discouraged right off jump (50-60 levels seems much more manageable). Having said that, this is the key reason, I think, why leveling content is needed in a way...to experience the WoW storylines. We don't yet know exactly how fast new players will level through & if I were a gambling man, I would wager that it would slow down to the point where you won't be able to move on to the next zone until you finished the first. Like I said to another person, you are criticizing the leveling experience, not leveling in general.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, what retail needs is a gold reset at this point.

There have been too many moments in retail that exploited gold gain, be it guildmaster +10% gold to guildbank perk, or WoD garrison farm. If you missed these periods, you're basically fucked.

Goldreset to 0 gold, + all items in your inventory = soulbound, would fix the whole system and reset the WoW economy.

lol it took you 13 years to hit max level? 99% of my "progress" hasn't been leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omaski View Post
    I completely agree with where you are coming from, I've played WoW since TBC and I know the frustration from grinding to get to max level only to find out that now there is a new grind for gear once you hit max level. however, I do think you are ignoring the core concept of leveling in general, especially in an RPG. what you are criticizing is the leveling experience, which I would admit, is very subpar to other games with a similar, in-depth storyline. BUT, those 'numbers' that you look at with a sideways glance are the reasons you get the abilities that empower you so much. Back in the day, did you ever look at your talent trees and mentally plan how you would progress and researched how that new ability would impact your gameplay? That what true leveling should do in an RPG, but WoW has become a sprint to max level without stopping to smell the roses, thanks to boosts, heirloom gear, & just the overall pace of the game.
    WoW has always been an end game focus game, even in vanilla. They never released content that was meant for people leveling, it was always "New raid, new dungeons" etc. It wasn't until cataclysm that they revamped leveling dungeons. While I didn't research talents or what was most efficient in vanilla, I did however look forward to certain talents. When I first leveled my shaman, I remember seeing certain talents like Elemental Mastery and thinking "Wow, I really really want that ability" Or Improved Fire Nova so that I didn't have to wait so long for it to go off. I knew that every other level, I was slowly progressing towards obtaining those talents. There was a steady rate of progression and it made every level meaningful. Just now I hit 80 on my warlock and I honestly can't say the same.

We also have to put WoW in its own box as far as rpg's go. You can't compare WoW to an RPG like skyrim or the Witcher. Those types of games are about enjoying the journey from start to finish. WoW doesn't have a finish line like those games. When you beat Skyrim, there's not much left to do that feels meaningful. You can go back and level skills, but overall the value in that game is starting over again and picking different choices. WoW has endgame such as raiding, m+ and organized PvP. Almost all MMORPG's are this way and that's how MMORPG's work. They're not RPG's, they're MMORPG's. I don't think I'd change it either. Leveling is about learning your class and being slowly introduced to new abilities every other level. As you slowly master your class and get comfortable with it, you eventually reach max level where you dive head first into end game. Harness what you've learned from your class and apply it to difficult scenarios whether it's m+, raiding or organized PvP.

If end game isn't appealing to some, then maybe MMORPG's aren't meant for them.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

You say 'let things evolve', but you haven't pitched the idea of what to use instead of a leveling system that has worked for decades. I'm not opposed to any positive change, but if you're gonna just type what's wrong and never a solution you're really wasting my time and yours as well. So...I ask you, how do you propose Blizz move forward with leveling in-game?
    Have a tailored story/quest line that explains your character's transition and growth. Once that's done, they leave you off to explore Azeroth or any new areas to collect gear and start on whatever AP grind that's involved with the latest expansion. As of now, it's just a time sink to have you play through some old zones one time before accessing the latest expansion.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Why will Blizzard just wipe all the character progression and all these years just goes down the toilet. 120 to 50 is just big slap to the face and all these years feel now pointless. Why not just stat squish?
    Stat squish doesnt fix anything related to leveling time, and levels truly arent much of an achievement now anyway. Leveling process is garbage since you can never even complete a story before outleveling it. Im genuinely excited for this since it wont take weeks to blow through 8 expansions and instead i can take a much shorter time soaking in a single story.

Why will Blizzard just wipe all the character progression and all these years just goes down the toilet. 120 to 50 is just big slap to the face and all these years feel now pointless. Why not just stat squish?
    How exactly does 120 vs 50 interfere with your character progression aside from the little number you see on your portrait and on your character select screen?

I guess the major problem is that it becomes obvious they lack cohesion. They hyped and worked heavily as they say in tuning leveling experience a year ago, they introduced grouping etc afterwards and now they come up with another plan. That's simply a reflection of a mess in their dev team and ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    When I first started playing, max level 80 seemed daunting to me. Especially when my guild mates kept telling me "hurry up and get to 80, game starts at 80!" I hated having to rush through and the pressure, first time around grinding 80 levels wasn't fun, but I did it. 120 today doesn't even take as long as 80 levels in 2008, and with a free boost with expansion purchase, I don't even see the point of having to squish. If I had a boost back in 2008, I'd have used it to play with my friends and not cry that the number seems daunting. New players have the option to bypass leveling altogether and the number still had to be squished?
    Perception is a thing. That feeling you had back at 80 happens to new players now. They don't know how long it takes to level...honestly they don't care. If the squish isn't going to be anything besides an arbitrary number change, and that is enough to bring in or keep new players, that's nothing but a good thing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    More curious what they will do after Shadowlands, fly up 10 levels per expansion again rinse repeat?
    Nope
    They already said that
    10-50 every exp
    50-60 the new one
    And lastet expansion will be the first one for new accounts so shadowlands when the new exp ll hit

I have been playing for 12 years now and I think it is an amazing change. Gives new players a chance, when starting a new game 130 levels could be extremely intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    WoW has always been an end game focus game, even in vanilla. They never released content that was meant for people leveling, it was always "New raid, new dungeons" etc. It wasn't until cataclysm that they revamped leveling dungeons. While I didn't research talents or what was most efficient in vanilla, I did, however, look forward to certain talents. When I first leveled my shaman, I remember seeing certain talents like Elemental Mastery and thinking "Wow, I really really want that ability" Or Improved Fire Nova so that I didn't have to wait so long for it to go off. I knew that every other level, I was slowly progressing towards obtaining those talents. There was a steady rate of progression and it made every level meaningful. Just now I hit 80 on my warlock and I honestly can't say the same.

We also have to put WoW in its own box as far as rpg's go. You can't compare WoW to an RPG like skyrim or the Witcher. Those types of games are about enjoying the journey from start to finish. WoW doesn't have a finish line like those games. When you beat Skyrim, there's not much left to do that feels meaningful. You can go back and level skills, but overall the value in that game is starting over again and picking different choices. WoW has endgame such as raiding, m+ and organized PvP. Almost all MMORPG's are this way and that's how MMORPG's work. They're not RPG's, they're MMORPG's. I don't think I'd change it either. Leveling is about learning your class and being slowly introduced to new abilities every other level. As you slowly master your class and get comfortable with it, you eventually reach max level where you dive head first into end game. Harness what you've learned from your class and apply it to difficult scenarios whether it's m+, raiding or organized PvP.

If end game isn't appealing to some, then maybe MMORPG's aren't meant for them.
    You must understand that this is a 'money move' from Blizz. I would agree with everything you said...99.9% of new content isn't geared towards leveling, BUT you're only looking at the short game. Blizz understands that to make more money, they have to cater to the newer player base who isn't going to pay for a game where they are perceived to be 120-130 levels behind everyone else, whereas with the new expansion they will only be 50-60 levels behind, that seems much more manageable to a new player who wants to buy their first WoW subscription.

7+ Year Old Account
    your progress aint being wiped out.
    if you are 120 you will be 50
    if you are 1 you are 1.
    nothing is being lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    You must understand that this is a 'money move' from Blizz. I would agree with everything you said...99.9% of new content isn't geared towards leveling, BUT you're only looking at the short game. Blizz understands that to make more money, they have to cater to the newer player base who isn't going to pay for a game where they are perceived to be 120-130 levels behind everyone else, whereas with the new expansion they will only be 50-60 levels behind, that seems much more manageable to a new player who wants to buy their first WoW subscription.
    I think it appeals to current players too. I almost have one of every class at max level and I don't see the point in having duplicates of certain classes, especially if I know I have to level from 1-120. I might consider leveling a new allied race simply because it's less daunting to level from 1-60. Leveling in WoW as a whole has never been as enjoyable as end game. End game is what keeps people around and excited to play week after week. When I was first introduced to WoW in 06', I remember my friend going ballistic over Thunderfury and t2 shoulders. I had no idea what he was talking about, but after playing for a bit, I started getting excited for when I'd eventually hit 60 and be able to raid. While I did enjoy leveling the firs time through, my first run through MC with 39 other people is when I became hooked.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    A level squish will likely be done again in the future, true. But keeping every expansion from here on out to have a max of 60 and squishing everyone to 50 at the start is just ridiculous.
    So is the useless level squish in the SL pre-patch

They didn't implement the squish until the max was 120, and didn't even think about a stat squish until the level cap was 100.
    Citication needed for that claim!

That means 60 isn't the magic number that's Goldilocks levels of "just right" for the player base.
    If 60 AINT the magic number why its the max level in SL then and not 130?

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Level is just a number.
    If that would be the truth they would get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1337 View Post
    Levels are getting ridiculously high for no reason.
    Its not for "no reason" its called a RPG

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1337 View Post
    GW2 and ESO does it well.
    these game did so well no one remembers them except 5 people who played them....
    Last edited by tmamass; 2019-11-12 at 09:44 PM.

Seriously?

You aren't losing progress.. it's just 120 goes down to 50.. it's just a number! You won't lose achievements, mounts, gear, pets, gold, currency, titles, characters. You will lose NOTHING except seeing your lvl as the number 50 instead of 120.. nothing else.

Jeez...

Levels haven't meant anything for almost a decade and barely mean anything to progression anymore so no offence but... no it doesn't lol.

Lol, this thread is still a thing, beware bois, all our achievements, mounts, flypaths etc are getting wiped out with this squish, we are losing the progression of 13+ years!!! oh wait we arent, the usual guys are just spouting nonsense in this echochamber, the only progression we are losing is gear, just like with every patch, now close this plox.