Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    The OP kind of mixes 2 ideas at the same time that have different levels of viability. "Repurposing" cemeteries, as in digging up previously buried people and cremating them to re-purpose the land will never happen and isn't viable. It's incredibly insensitive to the families of the dead in a cemetery that you'd do this with to even propose.

The second part of it that the OP kind of mixed in is alternative forms of burial to traditional coffins. That is viable and is something that's been done for a while now already, not just with cremation (which has been done forever) but also the tree planting and other ideas.

But the important thing is that how a person's body is handled after their death is a huge decision for each individual and their family. That isn't a decision that can or should be made by the public or someone else with no relationship to the deceased person, because some people with no relation to the deceased (and iffy values tbh) won't care and would be happy to make the land a park, or parking lot, or anything else. Some people think the body is just flesh after death, but others have completely different opinions. Besides, this Earth has plenty of land to allocate a little bit of it to have a place to remember and honor those that have passed. If we have room for a Starbucks and Subway on every corner, I think we have cemetery room.
    Funny thing: In Europe this is more or less standard. You can rent a grave for 35 to 50 years, then it gets repurposed. You know the classic setting of horror films crypts filled with bones? They actually exist, because that is something that has gone on for a very long time in europe. People get buried, then after a few decades, they get dug up, their bones are piled in these crypts, and a new person is buried in the now empty grave.

I think this is an european thing, as we don't have so much unlimited space.

Still, OPs idea is kinda ridiculous, as you don't do this in the US because there is enough space in the first place.

When it comes to land waste cemeteries aren't even on my radar of what would need to be addressed first.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck and No, thats disrespectful as fuck, if people feel they have no meaning then they can choose to have their bodies recycled or turned into composed. I personally think cemeteries should be off limits, there is no reason to re purpose anything, because people living today run out of ideas.

I also don't think the answer to people starving is fucking cannibalism. There is enough food, there is enough land people just need to learn to give some shit up, rather than ask more of those who have already given or asking for shit nobody should. At least not at this moment.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

While I see no purpose in keeping corpses in a box underground, it's too touchy of a subject and having little impact to space.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So cemeteries take up a lot of space. They could be better used for solar farms. Or if people really want to bury their dead then instead of coffins the bodies could be cremated and buried in those biodegradable urns that have a tree seed in them. That way that space is being useful.

http://eternitrees.com/urns-people
    Parking lots take up a lot more space. We could just force people into not driving and make solar farms there. Or better, expect people to pay more in building costs to add their own parking garage/level.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah let's dig up the dead that are important to millions of people in the country and just start using their bodies as fertilizer. Not only that but we should get rid of cemeteries altogether. That space is better used for farmland for plants that can be reused or solar farms. Burying the dead wastes precious wood when you have to chop down trees to make coffins. Aunt Stephanie doesn't need a fancy coffin to be buried in. Also, the dead don't need to be cremated. The fumes caused by the burning create disgusting greenhouse gases that cause smog. Just chop their bodies up and grind them into a paste so they can be put back into the food supply.

Am I doing it right?

There are times when even this clown world we live in stops being funny.

My father always called them a waste of a good golf course but... no, of course not.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or this is an alternative. Mushroom suits.

https://www.everplans.com/articles/g...oom-death-suit

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Absolutely not. I’m okay with banning the act of burying your dead if it’s actually a problem, but I’m 100% against destroying cemeteries that are already there. You don’t do that kind of shit. Peoples loved ones are there. It’s completely disrespectful and appalling to even suggest it.
    Why can't we bury the dead though. I find it quaint and I'd rather not be thrown in a furnace...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Absolutely not. I’m okay with banning the act of burying your dead if it’s actually a problem, but I’m 100% against destroying cemeteries that are already there. You don’t do that kind of shit. Peoples loved ones are there. It’s completely disrespectful and appalling to even suggest it.
    Tell that to the people and family where they built the neighborhood on a Indian burial ground. That family was haunted by a poltergeist and lost their home in the end when it imploded into nothingness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Why can't we bury the dead though. I find it quaint and I'd rather not be thrown in a furnace...
    Why? Your dead.

Nope. Let cemeteries and traditions be. People can build their solar panels on building rooftops which have nothing going for them anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Granny meat is expired meat. It's way past its best before date.
    We dont need to eat it, im sure its fit for pig, dog or cat food.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Or if people really want to bury their dead then instead of coffins the bodies could be cremated
    If you really want to bury your dead, you don't want to cremate them. You want to bury the dead, the body, not the ash. And there's plenty of space for solar farms, so why would you need to use cemeteries for that?

How about we keep using all the still unused roofs first? (Obviously ignoring the trollish nature of the threat)
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    If you really want to bury your dead, you don't want to cremate them. You want to bury the dead, the body, not the ash. And there's plenty of space for solar farms, so why would you need to use cemeteries for that?
    So you left out the second part of that sentence you quoted of me. solar panels was not the only thing I suggested.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

So you left out the second part of that sentence you quoted of me. solar panels was not the only thing I suggested.
    So cemeteries take up a lot of space. They could be better used for solar farms. Or if people really want to bury their dead then instead of coffins the bodies could be cremated and buried in those biodegradable urns that have a tree seed in them. That way that space is being useful.

http://eternitrees.com/urns-people
    All you propose is solar panels or burying ashes, and the latter is not something people want to do when they want to bury their dead, whether you plant seeds or not.

Does that include arlington cemetery?

This is a great example of how we're living in an era where our people hate their history and heritage. No sane culture would destroy the memory of their ancestors for something as fucking stupid as solar farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is a great example of how we're living in an era where our people hate their history and heritage. No sane culture would destroy the memory of their ancestors for something as fucking stupid as solar farms.
    The human race has been doing this for centuries not sure why you think this era is somehow different. We had history books and museums heck our DNA is our road map to the past, Do you need the graves of your ancestors centuries ago to remember them? pretty sure those aren't around anymore.