Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I'm not denying that... but you didnt answer the question. Would you really want Feige to say "Hey, even if it's worse than Iron Man 3...we'll just push that piece of shit out to make the money"?

I'm much happier with the idea of waiting until there's an idea for a good Hulk movie rather than just pushing out something shitty.
    Well, you never really know when a movie will be shit until the final product. I highly doubt Kevin Feige even thought Iron Man 2 and 3 were awful during test screenings, that's all subjective. Do I want shit Hulk stories? Of course not. My point is, I find it perplexing Hulk, whether or not they can make solo Hulk movies and their profitability, which really hasn't mattered since 2008, and yet he's been a popular part of Avengers and Thor: Ragnarok, doesn't have a role in Phase 4, even though Mark Ruffalo is the only one of the original crew actively looking to stay in the MCU. Presumably, Hulk won't be back until at least Phase 5, by then who's to say Mark Ruffalo will still be interested in reprising if they didn't come up with anything for him for Phase 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Didn't stop them from Iron Man 2 and 3. He-ooooh!
    That's a point since IM1 wasn't Disney made.

Well, you never really know when a movie will be shit until the final product. I highly doubt Kevin Feige even thought Iron Man 2 and 3 were awful during test screenings, that's all subjective. Do I want shit Hulk stories? Of course not. My point is, I find it perplexing Hulk, whether or not they can make solo Hulk movies and their profitability, which really hasn't mattered since 2008, and yet he's been a popular part of Avengers and Thor: Ragnarok, doesn't have a role in Phase 4, even though Mark Ruffalo is the only one of the original crew actively looking to stay in the MCU. Presumably, Hulk won't be back until at least Phase 5, by then who's to say Mark Ruffalo will still be interested in reprising if they didn't come up with anything for him for Phase 4?
    A) Ruffalo isn't the only one of the "original crew" still involved (he isn't even of the original crew, Edward Norton was the "original"). Hemsworth is still playing Thor, Renner is still playing Hawkeye, Johansson is still playing Black Widow

B) Universal still has first right of refusal on production of any Hulk-centric movies. That's why there hasn't been any solo Hulk films since Incredible Hulk.

C) There's nothing wrong with Feige saying "Let's see if we can fit Hulk in somewhere".

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    A) Ruffalo isn't the only one of the "original crew" still involved (he isn't even of the original crew, Edward Norton was the "original"). Hemsworth is still playing Thor, Renner is still playing Hawkeye, Johansson is still playing Black Widow

B) Universal still has first right of refusal on production of any Hulk-centric movies. That's why there hasn't been any solo Hulk films since Incredible Hulk.

C) There's nothing wrong with Feige saying "Let's see if we can fit Hulk in somewhere".
    Well, he's definitely one of them. Isn't Johnsson done after Black Widow? I don't consider Norton of the original crew. Was he Hulk in the MCU? yes. But I meant the original Avengers crew when the MCU was all but established and not a flop thanks to Iron Man's success.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just find it surprising Hulk doesn't have a role in Phase 4 if Ruffalo's been willing to play ball.

Well, he's definitely one of them. Isn't Johnsson done after Black Widow? I don't consider Norton of the original crew. Was he Hulk in the MCU? yes. But I meant the original Avengers crew when the MCU was all but established and not a flop thanks to Iron Man's success.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just find it surprising Hulk doesn't have a role in Phase 4 if Ruffalo's been willing to play ball.
    I don't think Johansson has officially said whether or not she's retiring as BW after her solo film. Obviously any sequels would have to be set before Endgame though.

Whether you consider Norton an original or not...he is. It's his version of the Hulk that Ruffalo is portraying in the movies. Ruffalo is fantastic...but he's not an original.

Feige is willing to listen to his proposal to see if it fits in anywhere. Since they can't make Hulk movies without first offering distribution to Universal...that puts them in a tricky position for how to use Hulk in the MCU. He can only be a supporting character in any films... and not all films benefit from having Hulk in them. It worked in Ragnarok...but that doesn't mean they can just slide him in all willy-nilly in any movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, people said that about the X-men, too.

And then Disney just . . . bought Fox.

So never say never.

None of those shifts were about "diversity", really. Jane never "replaced" Thor; she became worthy of Mjolnir and took on the mantle, while the Odinson was unworthy and fighting back, and they each had concurrent arcs; the Odinsson was never "gone" or "dead" or even in temporary retirement from comics.

Marvel does this to keep things "fresh", and to take characters down new paths. It doesn't always work, and it's almost always temporary, with the headliner taking the mantle back at some point.

The challenge with that in the MCU is that comic characters don't age. Peter Parker could take 50+ years to go from high school to graduating college. Tom Holland can't do that. The MCU is likely going to have to retire characters more-or-less permanently. They also release new characters at a slow enough pace that it's potentially not an issue; they could bring Riri Williams in as Ironheart in a few years, if they want Iron Man suit shenanigans, for instance. It would even give them an excuse to have RDJ voice her AI, if they want the callback. They're not going to run out of characters.
    I see what you are saying with regards to Thor (not a comic I really kept track of much over the years outside the "Events")
    However the MCU like the comics never has to retire any character Tom Holland is movie actor number 3 for that role, same with the Hulk.
    Okay more iconic then Patrick Stewart or Hugh Jackman will be hard to find, same with Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool at least for now.
    And Riri was planned to be Iron Man's version of Miles Morales at least that is what I remember reading in a few articles back then but it never took of like planned.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    I see what you are saying with regards to Thor (not a comic I really kept track of much over the years outside the "Events")
    However the MCU like the comics never has to retire any character Tom Holland is movie actor number 3 for that role, same with the Hulk.
    Okay more iconic then Patrick Stewart or Hugh Jackman will be hard to find, same with Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool at least for now.
    And Riri was planned to be Iron Man's version of Miles Morales at least that is what I remember reading in a few articles back then but it never took of like planned.
    Point of order: Tom Holland is the only actor to have played Peter Parker in the MCU and Ruffalo is the second actor to play Bruce Banner. The Toby Maguire/Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man and Eric Bana's Hulk movies are not MCU. Disney can and has recast actors when necessary... but generally speaking its frowned upon to do so. It's easier to maintain continuity when you don't have to introduce a new face playing an existing role.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Or maybe it has to do with the fact that the next set of things they're running is the social justice story lines and he was already on the chopping block.
    Or maybe not. It's not like they've stopped making movies starring white males. Christ, you people are so sensitive....the second they release a movie where a White Male isn't the main star...it becomes "oh they're only interesting in making PC movies now". Grow up.

So it's no secret Mark Ruffalo has shown interest in remaining in the MCU as its Hulk. I was reading MCU news and found this interesting bit.

“Kevin Feige just asked me last week if I had any more ideas or stories for the Hulk. And I said yeah, I think there’s still some stories to tell. And he said, ‘Well why don’t you come in and tell me about them and we’ll see if we can find a place for you in the Marvel universe?’” Source:

Now, I'm now saying Kevin Feige comes off as a jerk or anything, he pretty much invited Ruffalo to a brainstorm session, but it's how he worded the last bit. Does it come off like "if we got something good, we'll fit you in" but it also sounds like they might not have anything for Hulk. Really? HULK? With Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., and Scarlett Johansson all stepping down, you'd think Feige would be eager to keep one of the few original Avengers actors that actually wants to stay. It comes off very nonchalant. You have time to develop C-list properties like Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk, but your writers haven't been working on anything for Hulk, whose actor actually wants to stay?

It suddenly puts what Chris Evans said in perspective. He opted to step down before being pushed out. It's no secret these movie studios are fickle, so what Evans said makes a lot of sense. It doesn't pay to be loyal or passionate about your character beyond your contract.
    Agreed, as captain marvel and more "woke" movies get pushed in its clear Disney is pushing the hand of the mouse into the picture and pushing out the OT who made the films, exactly like Starwars its a shock it took so long to do.

We don't know if a solo hulk film would work or not, it really depend on supporting cast in the terms of hulk but if done right he could manage a stand alone, just like black widow will.. but if they wanna go super friends currently marvel comics line up.. its going to be a massive shit show of progressive drama.

I can completely understand why the OT would bow out now rather than wait to be dragged down.. they're gonna make massive dollars doing anything else as they have proven themselves great actors/actresses.

It'll take Disney a while to figure out cast and character changes aren't a good idea and its clear the young avengers are next on the todo list, trying to make it appeal more to kids, to sell more toys and shit.. but those characters are boring.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I wish Marvel would just take single issue comics and turn them into a Movie.

Like Wolverine #8 with Gray Hulk. Would be a fun movie and have nothing to do with infinity gems. Just a fun Hulk and Wolverine movie. . . .
    I have been wondered why they don't do this for ever. There are thousands of great stories in those books........... but they never seem to use them! They have someone come in and write a quick story that vaguely resembles some elements of the comic stories for the movies and the writing is not as good as the stories in those old comics. It makes no sense.

Even this very topic. They are barinstorming ideas for the Hulk? Huh? What? Doesn't the hulk have over 500 issues worth of stories in the comic? Is there no good ideas in those 500 issues? There is literally no need to brainstorm, for any of these characters or titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I have been wondered why they don't do this for ever. There are thousands of great stories in those books........... but they never seem to use them! They have someone come in and write a quick story that vaguely resembles some elements of the comic stories for the movies and the writing is not as good as the stories in those old comics. It makes no sense.

Even this very topic. They are barinstorming ideas for the Hulk? Huh? What? Doesn't the hulk have over 500 issues worth of stories in the comic? Is there no good ideas in those 500 issues? There is literally no need to brainstorm, for any of these characters or titles.
    When Hulk can't do a standalone movie yeah they have to rethink their plans.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineSamantha View Post
    Let's also not forget that Iron Man was a c-list character before getting adapted into a movie. What I'm trying to say is how they're perceived now really isn't that big of a sign of how popular they *can* be.

PS: Moon Knight is fantastic and you should all read the comics.
    Yeahh no. Iron Man was very well established and long running character. There is a reason he got the first MCU movie. He was an instant draw for a huge fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstantinetheGreat View Post
    Yeahh no. Iron Man was very well established and long running character. There is a reason he got the first MCU movie. He was an instant draw for a huge fan base.
    Speaking as someone who was geeky, but never into comics, the only characters most mainstream people knew of was Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstantinetheGreat View Post
    The reason he got the first MCU movie was because they sold the film rights to their A-listers. Nobody was knocking down the door to make an Iron Man film. You think they would have started the MCU with Iron Man if they had access to Spider-Man, the X-men, or even the Fantastic Four?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post

The issue with Hulk is not a lack of ideas...the issue is that Universal still owns the distribution rights to any future Hulk movies. If the MCU wants to make a Hulk-centric movie...Universal gets firsts chance of refusal for distribution. It makes making a solo Hulk movie financially impractical. However, Marvel has the film rights to Hulk...so they can use him in any non-Hulk movie free and clear.

Credit to where it's due, when Marvel Studios hired Jon Favreau, he took creative control and made it all work. (and despite opposition he wouldn't back down from casting Downey)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    He's a white male, that doesn't fit the new MCU lineup. We will have Shehulk instead, because agend...khmmmm... i mean progression
    Can we please kill this meme?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Or maybe look at the actually story lines they're moving to before going off on me. Grow up.

Oh my god, you're right! They have movies that don't have white men in the leading roles! Such a travesty! Of course, they still have plenty of movies that also still star white men...but we'll ignore that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahper View Post
    Too many black and female characters they need to push, no place for a toxic masculine guy like Hulk.
    Why is it that this person is banned for this comment? how is it free speech if even truth cant be vocal?

You're amazingly racist if that's all you see from those story lines.
    Yes, storylines that dare to push the "agenda" that all people, regardless of skin colour or gender, can be heroes. How Racist!

Good lord you people are whiny.

Thor, Spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange are all upcoming Marvel movies with a white male as the central character. Plus Fantastic Four if rumors are true.

Stop being whiny little bitches because there are also movies with black men, asian men, or white women in leading roles. It's just fucking childish and stupid. Grow the fuck up.

unpopular opinion but i find mark ruffalo boring and apart from comedy offers very little to the character.

Hes not threatening and doesnt come across overly intelligent either when you compare him to Robert as Ironman or Benedict as Dr Strange the other "smart" characters
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.