Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    At this point its like trying to get the two parties in Congress to agree. People that don't want flying will die on that hill. Those that want it will die on theirs. Negotiation is for the weak to either side when it is commitment beyond a few people on the forums. Not to mention it seems Blizzard is pretty happy with the as is solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Doesn't really bother me one way or another. I honestly think limiting how high you can fly has no real negative effect on the game. Most of the time I fly I am somewhat near the ground anyway.
    It used to be a thing that if you flew too high, you auto dismounted and you plunged to your death. Not sure if that was changed.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I love how this thread turned into a big "pathfinder vs. flying patrol mobs" when there is absolutely NOTHING to suggest that this is an actual alternative that Blizzard is considering. It's just some zone-specific flavor, that's really it. Also, from what I remember they stated that they are happy with the pathfinder system and the consensus it provides numerous times. So no, a flying mob here and there isn't a secret test on how players take the supposed new system. But of course people will continue assuming ridiculous things and then act all surprised when it turns out they aren't true *cough* end of factions, sethrak allied race, maghar orc joining alliance etc.*cough*

And yes, of course people are flying while AFK. I don't know why it is so hard for many to understand. It's funny how many people don't realize that many of us don't treat wow as a cinematic experience on a 4k monitor with everything cranked to max. Many of us are keeping it running in the background while playing 2 other games, watching tv shows and working at the same time. Any afk time you can get is good afk time. I'm not playing to be immersed, pay 100% attention and listen to birds chirping in the background. I want to get shit done, while doing as many other things as possible at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    At this point its like trying to get the two parties in Congress to agree. People that don't want flying will die on that hill. Those that want it will die on theirs. Negotiation is for the weak to either side when it is commitment beyond a few people on the forums. Not to mention it seems Blizzard is pretty happy with the as is solution.
    Indeed. And the pathfinder system is a somewhat good consensus. Of course people with strong opinions won't be fully satisfied, but that's just the nature of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    It used to be a thing that if you flew too high, you auto dismounted and you plunged to your death. Not sure if that was changed.
    what? i never remember that.
    it for sure hasnt been a thing since wotlk, as even to then there was a sky box limit where if you reached the top you just couldnt fly higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Well....Blizzard created the narrative of flight being difficult to design for. So of course all the Blizzard zealots took that as gospel.

But on the other hand it's a mechanic that hasn't been updated in 3 expansions, despite on and off feedback about it the entire time. Name another part of the game that has remained that static.

At this point I think most people just want to see some change.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    No, we really don't have a thread full of anti-Blizzard cynicism. Most people are just expressing their personal opinions on Pathfinder.
    And if many people expressing their opinion are expressing it in an anti-Blizzard, cynical manner... what... exactly... does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    And if many people expressing their opinion are expressing it in an anti-Blizzard, cynical manner... what... exactly... does that mean?
    It means you need to take the filter off and look what's actually being said instead of interpreting everything as Blizzard hate. Give it a rest already.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    The mechagon hovercrafts are completely ignorable. This looks a bit more hazardous, but I'd assume worst case scenario I can dismount and glider kit by them, or do they 1-shot you regardless of if you're in flight mode or not?
    1. they slow flying movement speed if you get even somewhat close to them, will have to try if glider is counted
    2. if you get too close and aggro them and they catch up to you, they kill you, the 1 shot mechanic is their auto attack does about 700k damage TO A PLATE TANK
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I'm a proponent of more involved flight and mount mechanics in general in games, but this is probably the most lame and lazy version to achieve that and will only add a very small degree of it in reality. It's like the stacking debuff from the 4th mechagon boss you get over mechagon isle.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    “The world doesn’t feel dangerous!”

Replacing flying at max level with a retarded stupid grind they call "pathfinder" was one of the major reasons I quit. Fortunately for them they came up with WoW Classic to get my money.

It means you need to take the filter off and look what's actually being said instead of interpreting everything as Blizzard hate. Give it a rest already.
    Sometimes a spade is a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm a proponent of more involved flight and mount mechanics in general in games, but this is probably the most lame and lazy version to achieve that and will only add a very small degree of it in reality. It's like the stacking debuff from the 4th mechagon boss you get over mechagon isle.
    I would recommend looking at it as a prototype. It's likely Blizzard will look at how people react to actually having to pay attention in the air, and adjust the next version of it in Shadowlands.

But what really needs to happen is sone sort of payoff for playing well. If these kinds of mechanics are just speedbumps, that's kind of boring. There needs to be a benefit to counterbalance the detriment. You play poorly and afk fly through zones, you get shot down. But if you pay attention and dodge, maybe there should be something more than just "you didn't die".

What that would be, I don't know. Im just brainstorming. Previous versions of this were always done in the service of completion of a quest. So maybe that's when you're most likely to encounter the worms. I wonder if some of the nightmare invasions could have timers, so if you do well at avoiding the worms you'll get a better reward?

Something to think about, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Replacing flying at max level with a retarded stupid grind they call "pathfinder" was one of the major reasons I quit. Fortunately for them they came up with WoW Classic to get my money.
    So basically you quit because you weren't given flying right away, yet you came back because of a game that has no flying at all. The irony here is amazing.

Oh wow that's awesome!
    Hadn't seen those before this thread.

Great addition for sure!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    So basically you quit because you weren't given flying right away, yet you came back because of a game that has no flying at all. The irony here is amazing.
    Not really, when you stop and think about it. Vanilla has a very different design philosophy than modern WoW. It's got a comoletely different combination of game design and gamepmay elements. Vanilla without flight isn't the same flavor as retail without flight.

To use a food reference: It's like comparing a steak to a hamburger. They're both beef. But a steak can be eatem straight up, with no sauce or anything, if it's cooked right. But a burger without buns or lettuce or cheese or tomato or other toppings is....not the same.

So someone can absolutely like their steak plain, but disdain a burger if it doesn't have the works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine by me. Invasions are supposed to be dangerous and if I intend to AFK for a flight, I don't numlock, I just take an FP.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. I think the optimal 'make flight less trivial' method would be an extension of what they did in Mechagon with the jetpacks: let us fly out of the gate, but make it dangerous AF initially - with 'pathfinder' lessening or eliminating the danger.

But what really needs to happen is sone sort of payoff for playing well. If these kinds of mechanics are just speedbumps, that's kind of boring. There needs to be a benefit to counterbalance the detriment. You play poorly and afk fly through zones, you get shot down. But if you pay attention and dodge, maybe there should be something more than just "you didn't die".
    That's exactly my stance on it.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As the person who got #skyfucked, I disagree. Here're my thoughts.

Not everything needs to have a payoff; I lump travel into this. What I learned from the multiple deaths is the payoff - awareness and engagement with the game I'm playing. The experience would be cheapened if a successful "near miss" gave me some sort of speed boost or bonus. I don't need to game travel, too. I just want to get there without dying.