Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

RE: Lightforged & Void Elf DKs

Hey y'all! Saw the new DK eyes on the front page and got to chatting with a friend about the upgrade, and got to thinking about how LF and VE DKs will work, lore-wise. What really got us intrigued was the Cosmology chart:

(Just a link so no giant annoying image): https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160313175241

Light opposes Void,
    Life opposes Death,
    Order opposes Disorder.

Seeing as neither Light nor Void oppose Death, I got the impression that LF and VE will function just fine as DKs-- as in canonically they can still use their Light- and Void-themed racials without issue. What intrigued me moreso, though, was the VE angle-- do they still hear the Void? If they do, what is it saying? Is it screaming or whispering? We saw with Alleria the reaction it had to Sylvanas, calling Death the 'enemy of all', so what would its reaction be to a Void-infused being becoming undead? Or, would the Void-infused no longer hear the whispers of the Void at all? My friend made a good point with Whitemane, who gained clarity after death.

For LF, we do have examples of undead wielding/still with the Light; Alonsus Faol, Calia, Crusader Bridenbrad (Crusader infected with the plague in Icecrown whom a Naaru took into the Light), Sir Zeliek-- and yes, I understand that these characters are exceptions and not rules, but they provide evidence that it's possible. And for a draenei, whom as a race already had strong ties to the Light, to become Lightforged and 'one' with the Light, it seems plausible that the Light wouldn't abandon them after undeath, either.

But what do y'all think? Yay/nay?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We don't know if the Void Elves will still hear the voices coming from the Void. It's probable they'll do, as there's nothing indicating that they couldn't. It's unclear if the Voidthings would consider a Death Knight opposing Sylvanas as an enemy. After all, they try to portray themselves as allies to those they whisper to. Whitemane wasn't infused to the level of a Void Elf - her madness was her own, so it's different.

And you are absolutely correct about Lightforged Draenei Death Knight. They are just unusual, not impossible, and nothing in the lore stops indicates that they wouldn't work as Death Knights.

Here's a sneak peek at Void Elf DK's.

OT: I'd say Void Elves would still hear Void whisperes. It's kind of a defining character trait, otherwise, they're literally just emo elves. Lightforged is much weirder, but then again, we have Undead Holy Priests, so how weird is it, really? A being that was infused with light but then died and gets raised as a corpse no longer has any ties with how he was in life, meaning a LF Draenei is only "Lightforged" aesthetically. The tattoos must not even glow anymore.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    A being that was infused with light but then died and gets raised as a corpse no longer has any ties with how he was in life
    They still have ties if they want to. Depends on the character, and if the Lightforged are faithfull enough, they'll see their new existence as a second chance to serve the Light. Tattoos will glow regardless - they are infused with the Light.

Zealotry is fun.

I think that they will have an advantage being undead and being able to hear the plans on their enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Melathyr View Post
    Hey y'all! Saw the new DK eyes on the front page and got to chatting with a friend about the upgrade, and got to thinking about how LF and VE DKs will work, lore-wise. What really got us intrigued was the Cosmology chart:
    Short answer? They just don't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    They still have ties if they want to. Depends on the character, and if the Lightforged are faithfull enough, they'll see their new existence as a second chance to serve the Light. Tattoos will glow regardless - they are infused with the Light.

Zealotry is fun.
    I suppose, the question then is if their living kin would accept them. =P

Void Elf Death Knights made sense even before Shadowlands. There's no reason why a Blood Elf DK, maybe a member of the Ebon Blade who was raised by Arthas long ago, couldn't have joined Umbric and ultimately gotten himself turned into a Ren'dorei.

I don't see why Void and Death couldn't merge, since they are not opposite. Light and Void would obviously blow up, but since Void and Death are not on the opposite side of the spectrum of the cosmic chart, they can combine just fine, as we already saw in WoD, where Ner'zhul used the Void to raise several undead.

That being said, I think they'd still hear the whispers, though maybe the Death magic coursing through their veins would offer them an extra layer of protection against the shadows.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

7+ Year Old Account
    I still can't believe there is not a single storyline of Void Elves clashing with Lightforged over their beliefs.

Not to mention what an abomination on top of another abomination a Void Elf DK must be considered
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

A being that was infused with light but then died and gets raised as a corpse no longer has any ties with how he was in life, meaning a LF Draenei is only "Lightforged" aesthetically. The tattoos must not even glow anymore.
    It doesn't seem like Blizz is following the pattern of "you died and therefore your previous life has no bearing on you" with undead anymore, at least not as much as before. Calia and Zelling are two prime examples, though the latter wasn't Light-related. Plus, Sira/Delaryn became Forsaken due to the manner in which they died, so arguably that has bearing on who they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post

Zealotry is fun.
    This is what I thought, too. If their conviction is strong enough (or zealotry, depending on the LF), it could just be a second chance. There too, didn't the Light raise Calia as a Light-infused Undead?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuriel View Post
    Short answer? They just don't make any sense.
    I haven't read the PTR stuff for Allied Race DKs or their intro, but depending on who they were, I think it's perfectly plausible for some to be ""okay"" with being risen as undead in order to protect their world. After all, LF had already dedicated their lives to destroying the Legion, they might be relieved to have a new singular purpose. Plus they're all in mega-hell right now, so undeath probably isn't as bad as the Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    That being said, I think they'd still hear the whispers, though maybe the Death magic coursing through their veins would offer them an extra layer of protection against the shadows.
    That's what I was unsure about, yeah, is if the magics at all clash within the Void Elves? That's gunna really suck if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I still can't believe there is not a single storyline of Void Elves clashing with Lightforged over their beliefs.

Not to mention what an abomination on top of another abomination a Void Elf DK must be considered
    Same here, I was waiting for the entirely of BFA for some sort of clash between LF and VE working side by side. That and LF learning how to lead civilian lives from the draenei, or re-learning lost culture, et c. Blizz pls.

Void Elf Death Knights made sense even before Shadowlands. There's no reason why a Blood Elf DK, maybe a member of the Ebon Blade who was raised by Arthas long ago, couldn't have joined Umbric and ultimately gotten himself turned into a Ren'dorei.

I don't see why Void and Death couldn't merge, since they are not opposite. Light and Void would obviously blow up, but since Void and Death are not on the opposite side of the spectrum of the cosmic chart, they can combine just fine, as we already saw in WoD, where Ner'zhul used the Void to raise several undead.

I know that undead are capable of using void but I am not sure whether undead can infuse himself with pure void energies.

However, I don't think resurrecting a void elf is impossible.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Don't Death Knights, like all free-willed undead, have a strong will or some shit like that? I figure that'd be a great asset for a Void Elf.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Blizzard doesn't believe in seeding conflict in the Alliance. Only Horde gets that, exaggeratingly so to compensate.

There will be drama in the upcoming Light and Void expansion. Blizzard most likely does not want to mess this up, so they are careful about starting such a significant story arc.

Don't Death Knights, like all free-willed undead, have a strong will or some shit like that? I figure that'd be a great asset for a Void Elf.
    I think they could become strong shadowmancers but their immunity would make it almost impossible to transform them into void elves.

- - - Updated - - -

There will be drama in the upcoming Light and Void expansion. Blizzard most likely does not want to mess this up, so they are careful about starting such a significant story arc.
    They better will be. Imagine making it a sidestory in another faction war.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Melathyr View Post
    I haven't read the PTR stuff for Allied Race DKs or their intro, but depending on who they were, I think it's perfectly plausible for some to be ""okay"" with being risen as undead in order to protect their world.
    How so? Why would a Lightforged Draenei resort to becoming a Death Knight, instead of becoming a Paladin? He can't protect Azeroth as a Paladin?

I mean by that logic, why not have Draenei and Night Elf Warlocks?

How so? Why would a Lightforged Draenei resort to becoming a Death Knight, instead of becoming a Paladin? He can't protect Azeroth as a Paladin?

Because you kinda need to be alive to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    I know that undead are capable of using void but I am not sure whether undead can infuse himself with pure void energies.

However, I don't think resurrecting a void elf is impossible.
    Dude, how sick would that be, visually? Of course with the Void and Death bonking heads, I doubt a being could wield both and still be stable in any capacity of the word.

I think all free-willed undead have to have a strong will or risk succumbing to mindlessness.

Oh, I apologise for not being clear: I don't think they would ever willingly choose it while alive. But if they've died and been raised by Bolvar (who, as I understand it, knew Sylvanas was coming and raised an undead army in preparation), the options they've got for protecting Azeroth is suddenly way more limited. It's not like they chose to die, but they can choose to keep protecting the world if raised again... or return to death, but again that'll be shooming them into the Maw.

Edit: huth beat me to it lol
    Last edited by Delmorii; 2019-12-13 at 07:20 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Who's to say what makes sense as they have never clearly defined the interactions between the cosmic forces.

You think Light and Shadow don't mesh? The Twilight's Hammer and discipline priests.

You think Fel and Shadow do work together? Xhul'horac and "shadowfel annihilation" in HFC. But then you see something like affliction's "Deathbolt." Wtf is that? It's shadow and fel combined.

tl;dr: As far as we're concerned, any cosmic force can associate or not associate with another according to the needs of the writers at that point in the story.

Here's a sneak peek at Void Elf DK's.

OR would VE DKs have to much 'dark on dark' where they cancel each other out and circle around back to happy sunshine rainbow knights?

meaning a LF Draenei is only "Lightforged" aesthetically. The tattoos must not even glow anymore.
    I find LF DKs a stupid idea but if their tattoos turn from gold to death knight blue glow I might have to make one.