Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I thought WB spent millions on re-shoots, with Henry Caville having to come back, but with a mustache they had to erase in post production? If Whedon had kept Snyder's cut and just finished special effects, sound editing, etc., why would people be clamoring for a Snyder cut?
    They did spend $25 million on reshoots sure, but the story had been selected and 85% of the film had been shot. Joss was just moving pieces around.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. Michael Bay received flack because he was the director, not because he was the Producer. Zach Snyder got flack because he literally directed those movies. His wife didn't get flack for producing them. Directors and writers have direct, day-to-day influence on a project.

Producers rarely have direct day-to-day creative influence, at least not "Executive Producers," in film. Executive producers are literally that - executives - making sure the business of making the movie is feasible. There's reason there's all sort of different producer titles, and all sorts of "creative" titles - Creative Consultant, Creative Supervisor, etc. The role of Kennedy is literally to get the movie from the pitch meeting to release. And in that sense, she's sort of a pitchwoman for the ideas the movie expresses, but she's in no way the progenitor of those ideas. She doesn't even do casting, probably. Maybe she sits in on the casting calls, but that's probably about it.

This trilogy was written by two people - JJ, and Rian. It was directed by the same two people. They are the ones who had creative influence on this trilogy.

I agree, the irrational hatred for Kennedy for wearing a t-shirt is fucking hilarious and pathetic at the same time. About the extent of blame that can be placed on her was giving her directors TOO much creative freedom, and not forcing them to work together to create a cohesive vision. But last I checked, both J.J. and Rian are capable adult men, so I don't know why the whole blame for that falls on Kennedy's head. J.J. is so ADHD and always trying to juggle 100 projects at once, it wouldn't surprise me if, like a dog chasing a car, he was too busy to do any such thing; while Rian is such an esoteric, auteur director he probably didn't want to push the coordination on his end either.
    Are you actually saying you've seen no blame on RJ? Because if so, what the actual fuck?

And to say "extend of blame that can be put on her was giving her directors TOO much creative freedom and not forcing them to work together" as if that's a small issue?
    That's her freaking job, and she utterly failed in it, that's not day to day stuff, she's the one supposed to have the vision and drive it through by delegating the work to competent people.
    She both failed to lead, and to appoint the right person/people to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. Michael Bay received flack because he was the director, not because he was the Producer. Zach Snyder got flack because he literally directed those movies. His wife didn't get flack for producing them. Directors and writers have direct, day-to-day influence on a project.

Producers rarely have direct day-to-day creative influence, at least not "Executive Producers," in film. Executive producers are literally that - executives - making sure the business of making the movie is feasible. There's reason there's all sort of different producer titles, and all sorts of "creative" titles - Creative Consultant, Creative Supervisor, etc. The role of Kennedy is literally to get the movie from the pitch meeting to release. And in that sense, she's sort of a pitchwoman for the ideas the movie expresses, but she's in no way the progenitor of those ideas. She doesn't even do casting, probably. Maybe she sits in on the casting calls, but that's probably about it.

This trilogy was written by two people - JJ, and Rian. It was directed by the same two people. They are the ones who had creative influence on this trilogy.

I agree, the irrational hatred for Kennedy for wearing a t-shirt is fucking hilarious and pathetic at the same time. About the extent of blame that can be placed on her was giving her directors TOO much creative freedom, and not forcing them to work together to create a cohesive vision. But last I checked, both J.J. and Rian are capable adult men, so I don't know why the whole blame for that falls on Kennedy's head. J.J. is so ADHD and always trying to juggle 100 projects at once, it wouldn't surprise me if, like a dog chasing a car, he was too busy to do any such thing; while Rian is such an esoteric, auteur director he probably didn't want to push the coordination on his end either.
    Pretty sure Rian especially has gotten bashed. The reason people bash her specifically is because she pushes the gender bullshit otherwise all the anger would be focused at Rian and too a less extent JJ instead of being 50/50. She specifically pushed it as a gender issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Whatever excuses you gotta make up in your head that helps you sleep at night. If you think the critics were unfairly bias in favor of TLJ because Disney, and then turn around and use them to as evidence of how bad RoS is you're a hypocrite. Plain and Simple. You have no evidence for your basis and you are only trying to convince yourself.
    Do you seriously not understand how much of the market disney controls with their latest acquisitions? Disney probably controls 70 percent or more of the tier 1 studios at this point and the tier 1 properties associated with them. I'm saying if they are willing to bash rspite that after propping up the turgid mess thar qas TLJ it really doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    I take grave offense to such gendered comparisons.
    Do you thin pigs are in heat ?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    People are certainly not screaming hysterically for the removal of the directors of Genysis, Dark Fate, Fallen Kingdom...They don't brainwash each other into believing they are going to them fired tomorrow. They don't scream like sows in heat over t-shirts they wore.
    Terminator arguably hasn't been a t1 franchis since the wrap of T2. Jurrasic Park's sequels have always been considered lackluster. Also the producers of those movies didn't go out of their way to make them a gender issue Kennedy did. Other point if she is removed maybe Rain doesn't get to fuck up Revan so that would he a major positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Pretty sure Rian especially has gotten bashed. The reason people bash her specifically is because she pushes the gender bullshit otherwise all the anger would be focused at Rian and too a less extent JJ instead of being 50/50. She specifically pushed it as a gender issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you seriously not understand how much of the market disney controls with their latest acquisitions? Disney probably controls 70 percent or more of the tier 1 studios at this point and the tier 1 properties associated with them. I'm saying if they are willing to bash rspite that after propping up the turgid mess thar qas TLJ it really doesn't look good.
    You mean she wore once a T-shirt. For people who find always excuse for siegheilers or lovers of slaver traitors, your kin sure mentally struggles with a t-shirt...If only it had been a t-shirt with a slogan with alt-right approved values, like murdering minorities or genocide, instead of HATE LIBURAL PROPAGANDA like ''the Force is female'' (which is hateful, cause you don't like it, while screaming with foam in the mouth GIT GUN AND KLL PEOPLE LEFT OF GENGIS KHAN' is ''freedom of speech'' because you like it)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Terminator arguably hasn't been a t1 franchis since the wrap of T2. Jurrasic Park's sequels have always been considered lackluster. Also the producers of those movies didn't go out of their way to make them a gender issue Kennedy did. Other point if she is removed maybe Rain doesn't get to fuck up Revan so that would he a major positive.
    Again, for people that swallow whole entire franchises whose plot boil down to WHITE AMERICAN WITH GUN SHOOT AT RANDOM NON WHITES while being completely oblivious to the political undertone (we know : if you don't like it, it's political. But a movie about US marines killing aliens (if possible from Mexico, or worse case from outer space) with big close up on the US flag, it's not political beause you like it) your kin sure struggle mentally with that T-shirt.

But again, I'm not sure your kin would be able to divine the political orientation of Battleship Potemkin without 4-chan telling you. (For instance, the last movie Georges made before selling to Disney was a movie about Black airmen dealing with appaling Southern racism before shooting other racists out of the sky. I would therefore speculate that Georges, if the previous movies about blowing up space fascists and space secessionists were not a hint already, was quite openly liberal in his filmmaking)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-12-19 at 07:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    French Opening Day:

Bastien on Box Office Theory stated "Aproximately 380k admissions yesterday in France. It is really underwhelming."

The Force Awakens: 619,020

The Last Jedi: 503,727

The Rise of Skywalker: 380,000 (-25% / TLJ & -39%/TFA)

Which happens to be the worst opening day for for the franchise in France since Return of the Jedi in 1983.

German Opening Day:

According to Mark G. of Insidekino, it'll do about 300k, which is 30% less than The Last Jedi.

Italian Opening Day:

Rise of Skywalker made about 1,136M€ (1,27M$) in it's opening day in Italy, with the tracking estimated to being around 10% less than The Last Jedi. Joker beat it (I believe) with an opening day of 148.766k, in which it made €1.232.535. We'll have to see when the numbers come in officially.

Conclusion:

So far it has made $10.2mn from 4 markets, and it has been suggested if the United Kingdom follows the same pace it'll have an opening weekend from those markets of around $20-25 million.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...len_joker_may/

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    Are you seriously making the argument that Superman being born on a random alien world is better writing than midichlorians in the blood? It's all the same shit.
    I think I vividly remember people hating the midichlorians explanation. Including myself. It was shoehorned in the prequels as a cheap way to explain something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i didn't had much problem with anakin and Luke, luke to me was garbage in the movies, and even lost many times, barely could reach his lightsaber.

Anakin was nothing, and only gained real power training hard with Obi-wan, and even went to a long way to be powerful, and even succumbed to the dark side

Rey is just "yeah fuck it", it was awful
    Of course Anakin and Luke aren't as bad. I mean they even stated in the new movies that Rey is even more extra powerful than they were.

My point being all three of them were Mary Sues. Rey of course being the worst of them all but they're all written lazily regardless.
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2019-12-19 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post

Kylo Ren dies
    So does Rey but they force heal each other because reasons.

You may want to check your sarcasm meter, its busted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Whether intentional or not, someone will always post spoilers, it's ur own damn fault if u see them if u can't control yourself from staying away..
    I stay away from threads fir stuff I'm about to see.
    I was clearly serious and not joking. Learn sarcasm please. K thanks.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    This film had no hope. Rey, Poe and Finn are all boring as fuck. I'm happy pretending everything outside of the original trilogy bar Rogue One never happened.
    You can say rouge one is a supplement to the original trilogy.

Though I hae warmed to the perquals as my memory of jar jar fades and how God damn boring the new ones are out some perspective on it

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    And Superman is Superman because fate decided that he was born Kryptonian, instead of an earthworm, which gives him his powers. Please don't pretend 'Our yellow sun interacts with his cells and gives him the power to benchpress a planet!' isn't just as shitty. Doesn't mean the stories can't be enjoyable.
    What a shit argument hardly worth replying to lmao. Love when people like you pull shit out of your ass to try and stretch an argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Yup... you got me. People hate stories about people with amazing gifts that they are born with. No one enjoyed the Matrix featuring Neo, a normal human who is told his world is a lie and he has the power to rise above the rules in place. Everyone hates the story of Clark Kent, who thought he was just a normal every day kid until suddenly his super power activated. The ancient Greels absolutely hated their stories about people like Hurcules with his incredible strength. Yup, nothing but lazy writing that no one enjoys."

- - - Updated - - -

So you mean Superman was born with his gifts? How lazy writing that is.
    Why are you so butthurt at this? I never said nobody enjoys those stories. I said it's lazy writing to give a character power "just because". Starwars, Superman, whoever is commonly criticized for doing so. But it doesn't stop people from enjoying the story anyways.

I'm here to say it's lazy. If you think it's pinnacle writing, which you most likely don't, then that's great. But I find it's a cop out and misses the opportunity to add more depth to the character. To argue any further is to admit you're doing this because you're upset I disliked something about your all time favourite thing to fanboy over.

BTW, I wish to point that for two years, people here have CRIED like little girls because of Rey parentage. Now you got your (moronic) (1) wish because ''made up wizard powers in a make believe move'' are not ''logical'' if not coming from approved ways, you are certainly going top stop crying Mary Sue, right ?

Oh right, it does not count, because your handlers and 4-chan have not given you yet your orders on what to hate. Can't wait to be told that lighting in space is ''logical'' but ''hyperspace ramming'' is not. Or not.

(1)Yes, I find this plot point stupid, because it's truly the least original plot point they could find, in addition of being straight from ''the Glove of Darth Vader''. I know edgelords have given orders to believe that ''subverting exceptation'' is now somesort of ''SJW LIBURAL'' thingy, but some people like to see movies where the plot is not obvious from the first second of the movie. That said, as I'm a rational adult, I live in a world in which ''I don't like it'' does not mean my life is ruined and I will not spend years screaming with eyes bulging that Abrams is the head of a worlwide conspiracy to destroy white America.

Discussing forbidden topics isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-19 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Are you comparing movies based on an already written and planned story of 7 books to this mumbo jumbo glue-tape-stuff-and-see-if-it-holds movie trilogy?
    You are taking my comment out of context. I was replying to someone who was saying that this kind of awful storytelling is what happens when you change directors. And I mentioned HP because they changed directors every movie and that it's the studio/producers/writers fault for not having a cohesive idea going in, which is the problem with TLJ and likely RoS.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I got to see this and I'm sorry but I thought it honestly kind of sucked. The reviews were spot on in terms of how busy and rushed it is, before you even have a chance to absorb what's going on they're off to the next thing. The movie metaphorically trips over its own feet again and again, full of fakeouts and convenient plot twists, and without being too spoilery... it extends a big fat middle finger to a key moment in the original trilogy. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

I'd rate it like... 4 out 10 and frankly I feel like I'm being generous with the 4.

As much as I disliked TLJ, I can at least credit it for being bold in most of it's storytelling and trying to surprise people. RoS is just... formulaic Star Wars, like 'please like this movie here's all the cool stuff you expected!!' desperate-to-please Star Wars. And ironically it seems to be failing to do that.

Keep him away from the director's chair, but they seriously need to bring George Lucas back in to shepherd these films. Even the worst of the prequels was better than this, IMO.

Edit: one of the biggest criticisms of these new films has been how powerful Rey is with the force, seemingly without explanation. RoS finally explains that and it was one of the few things about the movie that surprised me.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2019-12-19 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    What a shit argument hardly worth replying to lmao. Love when people like you pull shit out of your ass to try and stretch an argument.
    "I have nothing to add to this discussion because I lack the brainpower to form a coherent argument. Let me emphasise how incapable of functioning like a normal human I am by typing lmao!" Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Why are you so butthurt at this? I never said nobody enjoys those stories. I said it's lazy writing to give a character power "just because". Starwars, Superman, whoever is commonly criticized for doing so. But it doesn't stop people from enjoying the story anyways.

I'm here to say it's lazy. If you think it's pinnacle writing, which you most likely don't, then that's great. But I find it's a cop out and misses the opportunity to add more depth to the character. To argue any further is to admit you're doing this because you're upset I disliked something about your all time favourite thing to fanboy over.
    You you're butthurt. Gotcha.

I really don't get the hate over this film. Even reading these threads... especially reading these threads... it seems pretty overblown to me. I don't have a super vested interest in any particular side of this... I just enjoy the star wars universe and its story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    (1)Yes, I find this plot point stupid, because it's truly the least original plot point they could find, in addition of being straight from ''the Glove of Darth Vader''. I know edgelords have given orders to believe that ''subverting exceptation'' is now somesort of ''SJW LIBURAL'' thingy, but some people like to see movies where the plot is not obvious from the first second of the movie. That said, as I'm a rational adult, I live in a world in which ''I don't like it'' does not mean my life is ruined and I will not spend years screaming with eyes bulging that Abrams is the head of a worlwide conspiracy to destroy white America.
    Can you keep your personal crusades out of this movie discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Strokes View Post
    I really don't get the hate over this film. Even reading these threads... especially reading these threads... it seems pretty overblown to me. I don't have a super vested interest in any particular side of this... I just enjoy the star wars universe and its story telling.
    You created an account just to say this?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a7/10 for me. The cheese and fan service is actually a bit much and some jump the shark moments too.

But it's fun, and it ends the story well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Can you keep your personal crusades out of this movie discussion?

You created an account just to say this?
    They clearly can't, haven't you seen all their replies.

The most fun part is how they address everyone against it as being an American right winger while proclaiming they're "a rational adult" ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    Are you actually saying you've seen no blame on RJ? Because if so, what the actual fuck?

And to say "extend of blame that can be put on her was giving her directors TOO much creative freedom and not forcing them to work together" as if that's a small issue?
    That's her freaking job, and she utterly failed in it, that's not day to day stuff, she's the one supposed to have the vision and drive it through by delegating the work to competent people.
    She both failed to lead, and to appoint the right person/people to the job.
    I think you're conflating Kevin Feige, who is pretty much unique in the film industry in terms of his scope of creative direction as an EP, onto Kathleen Kennedy. Kennedy is the norm, not the exception. Feige is the exception. And Feige can operate like he does because he's a rare blend of a super nerd but also a smart business man. The two don't tend to mix.