Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thing I'm most interested in is the backwards compatibility. If they stick to what they're saying and xXx (I hereby declare we call this thing the triple X, not after the Vin Diesel movie but after the Ice-T sequel) runs four generations of games that'll be nifty.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So it seems the Xbox Series X isn't the actual name.

[video=youtube;HrEex_J-2eQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrEex_J-2eQ[video]

Seems its actually just going to be called....Xbox

Sounds like a system name they used before.....
    are you fucking kidding me? Seriously? They're seriously going to call it just "xbox"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    are you fucking kidding me? Seriously? They're seriously going to call it just "xbox"?
    What if their goal, is to trick grandmothers into buying their back stock of Xbox SADs by making the names confusing?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    What if their goal, is to trick grandmothers into buying their back stock of Xbox SADs by making the names confusing?
    I wouldn't put it past them. Both the names suggested (Series X and just xbox) are stupid and fail from a marketing point of view super hard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I wouldn't put it past them. Both the names suggested (Series X and just xbox) are stupid and fail from a marketing point of view super hard
    Well I can KIND of get it. If it really does run ALL past generations of XBox games, then just calling it "XBox" makes some sense.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well I can KIND of get it. If it really does run ALL past generations of XBox games, then just calling it "XBox" makes some sense.
    But if i ask for more xbox games people will call me dumb because they come out every week when really i mean where the frick is jet set radio future

The Xbox, Xbox Series X, or whatever you want to call it. Branding brought to you by the brilliant minds behind "Office 365".

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    But if i ask for more xbox games people will call me dumb because they come out every week when really i mean where the frick is jet set radio future
    MS hasn't made it BC because they can't sell it, because the licenses for the music expired a long ass time ago. Sega definitely ain't gonna pay for the licenses back unless they do a remaster, which at that point BC wouldn't be needed.

People love to talk about "good will" MS gives with BC but there is a catch to it like everything they do. They have no interest in making games BC if they can't sell them(just like Sony and Nintendo tbh).

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Unfortunately Microsoft is really bad at this naming convention thing. It would be logical to name it Xbox 4... but the previous one was Xbox One and before that Xbox 360. So now we are in Naked Gun levels of sequel naming absurdity.

•1 Xbox (2001)
    •2 Xbox 360 (2005)
    •3 Xbox 360 S (2010)
    •4 Xbox 360 E (2013)
    •5 Xbox One (2013)
    •6 Xbox One S (2016)
    •7 Xbox One X (2017)

Frankly, it almost looks like Microsoft is desperately trying to spell out Xbox SEX when you line them all up.
    I work in Microsoft Game Studios, and believe me when I tell you that was the first thing my coworkers cringed at. I think most people here cringe at the naming - it's really just a small group that decides this stuff.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ne.../1100-6472344/

"Perfect for limited editions"

Yep, they have their priorities right : P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    MS hasn't made it BC because they can't sell it, because the licenses for the music expired a long ass time ago. Sega definitely ain't gonna pay for the licenses back unless they do a remaster, which at that point BC wouldn't be needed.

People love to talk about "good will" MS gives with BC but there is a catch to it like everything they do. They have no interest in making games BC if they can't sell them(just like Sony and Nintendo tbh).
    I know but 6th gen is so hot right now theyd all make money hand over fist

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I know but 6th gen is so hot right now theyd all make money hand over fist
    Sega should just remaster it tbh, how much work would it really take. Already ran at 60 fps and art style already scales well with res. Put it at HD resolutions and call it a day. How would it not make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The Xbox, Xbox Series X, or whatever you want to call it. Branding brought to you by the brilliant minds behind "Office 365".
    Office 365 at least makes sense, its a yearly subscription service.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sega should just remaster it tbh, how much work would it really take. Already ran at 60 fps and art style already scales well with res. Put it at HD resolutions and call it a day. How would it not make a profit?
    Right? Idc about yakuza 11-73739293 ports at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    SONY just did theirs. But it's chicken/egg at this point.

Both machines have similar stats, no surprise there: SSD 120Htz back-compatible etc etc. They both look like solid hardware improvements, which is going to be outstanding for playing PS4 games. PS5 games will probably look incredible on TVs better than I can afford.
    They're both basically just PCs running Zen 2+ with Navi GPUs.

Both companies are being a bit misleading on their video and storage bandwidth as the variable refresh rate and 8k playback are HDMI 2.1 spec and the storage bandwidth is literally just PCIE 4.0 with custom firmware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    They're both basically just PCs running Zen 2+ with Navi GPUs.
    Consoles are built around the idea of using PC hardware, but cheaply. Corners will be cut, and there will be limitations. While these consoles will be based on Zen 2+, they won't be equivalent to a Ryzen 3700X. Rumors suggest the PS5 and Xbox Series X will have either no L3 Cache or half the L3 Cache of a desktop Ryzen. It'll have a massive performance drop compared to desktop Ryzen's. The GPU will likely be the most powerful part of the console compared to desktop GPU's, but there's a rumor the Xbox Series X will have 64 compute units but will clock at around 1.4Ghz. To give you an idea the RX 5700 XT has 40 compute units and runs at ~1.7Ghz. That's very impressive for a console, assuming that Microsoft doesn't charge $500+ for it.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2019-12-19 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Consoles are built around the idea of using PC hardware, but cheaply. Corners will be cut, and there will be limitations. While these consoles will be based on Zen 2+, they won't be equivalent to a Ryzen 3700X. Rumors suggest the PS5 and Xbox Series X will have either no L3 Cache is half the L3 Cache of a desktop Ryzen. It'll have a massive performance drop compared to desktop Ryzen's. The GPU will likely be the most powerful part of the console compared to desktop GPU's, but there's a rumor the Xbox Series X will have 64 compute units but will clock at around 1.4Ghz. To give you an idea the RX 5700 XT has 40 compute units and runs at ~1.7Ghz. That's very impressive for a console, assuming that Microsoft doesn't charge $500+ for it.
    I'm betting both console clock in at $499

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    I'm betting both console clock in at $499
    If that were the case then both consoles will have a slow launch, but I think they know that'll happen. Both Sony and Microsoft are hinting at the idea of a low powered version, especially Microsoft giving their next Xbox the name "Series X", which suggests there's more of these consoles to come. The backwards compatibility is also helping as that'll give PS4 and Xbox One owners games for the PS5 and Series X, as game developers aren't going to focus heavily on these consoles, not when you have this huge established older consoles. As much as people wanna cite inflation, the fact is inflation doesn't effect the game industry, so anything above $400 is going to have resistance, as it always has. We're also heading fast into another recession, which is going to be bad timing for these consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    If that were the case then both consoles will have a slow launch, but I think they know that'll happen. Both Sony and Microsoft are hinting at the idea of a low powered version, especially Microsoft giving their next Xbox the name "Series X", which suggests there's more of these consoles to come. The backwards compatibility is also helping as that'll give PS4 and Xbox One owners games for the PS5 and Series X, as game developers aren't going to focus heavily on these consoles, not when you have this huge established older consoles. As much as people wanna cite inflation, the fact is inflation doesn't effect the game industry, so anything above $400 is going to have resistance, as it always has. We're also heading fast into another recession, which is going to be bad timing for these consoles.
    The sweet spot for a new console used to be $199. Then it became $299. Then it became $399, it will change to $499 just fine. Inflation does indeed effect the game industry, not sure what history you're looking at but it ain't real. PS1 and N64 both launched in the US at $199, PS2 and Xbox at $299, 360 at $399(PS3 at $499/599) and PS4 at $399(Xbone at $499)

The only reason that price point failed in the past was because it was going up against other consoles that where $100 cheaper see the picture? Not because people won't buy it at that price. Both Sony and MS will launch at that price, the cheaper model if it exists will likely not even be available at launch(for MS anyways, Sony doesn't seem to want to have a cheaper model at all).

Unless one of them eat a bigger loss and sell at $399, $499 will work fine if both are priced there.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-20 at 08:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sweet spot for a new console used to be $199. Then it became $299. Then it became $399, it will change to $499 just fine. Inflation does indeed effect the game industry, not sure what history you're looking at but it ain't real. PS1 and N64 both launched in the US at $199, PS2 and Xbox at $299, 360 at $399(PS3 at $499/599) and PS4 at $399(Xbone at $499)
    Anything past PS3/360 pricing is what I should have said.
    The only reason that price point failed in the past was because it was going up against other consoles that where $100 cheaper see the picture? Not because people won't buy it at that price. Both Sony and MS will launch at that price, the cheaper model if it exists will likely not even be available at launch(for MS anyways, Sony doesn't seem to want to have a cheaper model at all).
    That could be the case, but it could also be that gamers don't have much money to throw around. Take the Xbox One for example which was originally $500+, but then quickly fell to $400 and then $350 within a years wroth of time. Some of it has to do with the PS4 being cheaper, but some of it also has to do with how Microsoft was going to deny customers the ability to use second hand games. To me it seems that a lot of people can't even afford the $60 price of games, let alone consoles that cost over $400.
    Unless one of them eat a bigger loss and sell at $399, $499 will work fine if both are priced there.
    My prediction is that many PS4 and Xbox One owners won't upgrade until prices come down, and some of them might instead invest in PC gaming because $500 is approaching PC gaming pricing. It seems to me that Microsoft and Sony aren't happy that the PS4 and XB1 were outdated as soon as they were released and are adamant to push consoles into high end PC gaming performance. That will come with consequences, assuming they can't keep the prices low.