I loved Ep8 except for one thing: why did they show Mando's face? That seemed so unnecessary. They could have cut away and preserved the mystery. Bad.

The rest was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, forget the aftermath of Episode VI. The characters in this show, Carl Weathers, Cara, Mando, The Armorer, are all old enough to have been around during the prequels, which is the height of the Jedi, no? They're not really "out of the public eye," even, are they? They're like the FBI of the Republic. Hell, the Chancellor sends two Jedi to negotiate with the Trade Federation blockading Naboo right at the beginning of Episode I.

IDK, the prequels just made it seem like the Jedi were everywhere, almost like Ambassadors, carrying out the political goals of the Republic.
    Yeah but like <5 years old. They would barely remember at best and there's a solid chance they'd never SEEN a Jedi, either.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, forget the aftermath of Episode VI. The characters in this show, Carl Weathers, Cara, Mando, The Armorer, are all old enough to have been around during the prequels, which is the height of the Jedi, no? They're not really "out of the public eye," even, are they? They're like the FBI of the Republic. Hell, the Chancellor sends two Jedi to negotiate with the Trade Federation blockading Naboo right at the beginning of Episode I.

IDK, the prequels just made it seem like the Jedi were everywhere, almost like Ambassadors, carrying out the political goals of the Republic.
    The Jedi weren't huge before the Clone Wars. Then they were seen as generals but the Clones were still the face of the war. Then the Empire/Sith successfully erased most of the Jedi honor and nobility from the galaxy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I think the Jedi were already in a state of decline, and I doubt their powers were advertised much (given you know... the mind control), so it's entirely possible that the Jedi Council was publicly a religious order that was part of the Republic as ambassadors/ advisors and also possible that the "space wizards" from Mandolorean legend were not linked to the Jedi directly in the stories. So Mando may have legends of space wizards (Jedi) that fought in ancient times, and also have some records of robed monks named Jedi, without ever connecting them.

Also, Mando's society is a bit fragmented after, you know, the Genocide stuff...

That said, Yoda was a public figure, possibly for hundreds of years, and no one recognizes a baby yoda at all.

Likewise, Jabba knows about Jedi mind tricks in Return, though maybe not a lot of others did around him.

Really my only issue with the episode is them not going to the wreckage of the TIE and not verifying the kill, makes no sense. Same with "well, I think the stormtroopers are all dead, so we'll just stay here." "sounds good". Too quick of a wrap up.

The rest of the episode/ series more than makes up for it, so not a big deal.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Han solo called it a hokey religion and didn't seem to know much about it when talking to Luke in the movies. But still at least seemed to know the basics. I get that the mandalorians might not teach stuff about it because they are "evil sorcerers".
    But he at least knew OF it, he had some understanding of the concepts of the Force and so was able to articulate to Luke why he didn't believe in it.
    Mandalorians would absolutely teach about the existence of Jedi, there is(was) a giant freaking mural in their city depicting them winning a battle against the Jedi, and seeing how they're already in hiding teaching about it doesn't add any additional risk to their situation.

Kinda feels like the Mandalorian should be set more around 25 ABY and dealing with the First Order instead of Remnants, this way nearly everyone would have been have been a couple generations removed from the Jedi being around to a significant degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    He has trained with it to know the basics or something, he said so when he was going to recieve it.
    Was trying to fish out some kind of hot take.

5+ Year Old Account
    The dark saber is a 'symbol of office', if Mando gets it, he'll be recognized as leader of all Mandalorians, though I doubt he wants that job, too free-spirited, like Sabine

the prequels just made it seem like the Jedi were everywhere, almost like Ambassadors, carrying out the political goals of the Republic.
    That's because we see the prequel story from the point of view of people who are either 1. Jedi or 2. in a seat of power and thus privy to their existence. Contrast that to the characters of the OT, who are neither a part of the Jedi Order nor really important enough to know who they are...

... Except Princess Leia. You'd think that Alderaan would've known and she would've known, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

I like how all the Mando's in the show were generally portrayed as competent whereas Boba's just some random idiot who probably lucked into his armour.
    Except when they realized they had to relocate, but then apparently didn't, and ended up getting killed by the Empire six years after its defeat. Presumably by the same troops that managed to be taken out by four people in this episode.

I liked the finale, but why are the Jedi so foreign an idea? The Armorer mentions them almost as an ancient legendary enemy of the Mandalorians, but, if my timelines are right, it's like, 25-30 years since the fall of the Republic and the Jedi order? This is 5 years after Episode 6, and Luke was 23 by the end of RotJ, and he was born at the fall of the Republic, right?

Like, maybe Navarro is in the Outer Rim, but surely the Jedi aren't that mythical? Hell, we learn Cara is from Alderaan, if I heard that right, which has been gone for about 10 years (since its destruction in Episode 4). Surely if she grew up on Alderaan (a core planet) she would know who the fuck the Jedi are, right? If she's in her 30s, she might have even been 4 or 5, on Alderaan, when the Jedi order was exterminated.
    Even at the height of the Jedi, how many were there compared to how many planets? Are you familiar with the myths and legends of every country on earth? Why would that be any different from someone growing up on a planet as popular as Alderaan never hearing of the Jedi. Hell, with as many people that existed on Coruscant during the prequels, I'd be shocked if even a 1/3rd of the population knew what a jedi was.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Even at the height of the Jedi, how many were there compared to how many planets?
    Hmmm...like I said a few pages back, our galaxy has minimum 100 billion stars, possibly 400-700 billion, if the far far away galaxy is anything like that n not some dw0rf sized galaxy, it would be most people not knowing of the jedi..hmm..I wonder if someone had done the math for the estimate size of the far far away galaxy n how large population it holds approximately..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Mandalorians would absolutely teach about the existence of Jedi, there is(was) a giant freaking mural in their city depicting them winning a battle against the Jedi, and seeing how they're already in hiding teaching about it doesn't add any additional risk to their situation.
    Yeah it is a little dumb no one knew. But I could see the mando not knowing if the clan didn't teach it. As they seem to be a pretty close knit cult. The armorer knew and maybe they teach about the jedi once you get your sigil or some other requirement. He just seems to be a late bloomer for stuff.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I liked the finale, but why are the Jedi so foreign an idea? The Armorer mentions them almost as an ancient legendary enemy of the Mandalorians, but, if my timelines are right, it's like, 25-30 years since the fall of the Republic and the Jedi order? This is 5 years after Episode 6, and Luke was 23 by the end of RotJ, and he was born at the fall of the Republic, right?

Like, maybe Navarro is in the Outer Rim, but surely the Jedi aren't that mythical? Hell, we learn Cara is from Alderaan, if I heard that right, which has been gone for about 10 years (since its destruction in Episode 4). Surely if she grew up on Alderaan (a core planet) she would know who the fuck the Jedi are, right? If she's in her 30s, she might have even been 4 or 5, on Alderaan, when the Jedi order was exterminated.
    there were only something like 10,000 trained jedi across the galaxy during episodes 1-3, so unless you were on a core world or in the military you probably would have never seen one.

palpatine basically erased Jedi history after order 66 began.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    there were only something like 10,000 trained jedi across the galaxy during episodes 1-3, so unless you were on a core world or in the military you probably would have never seen one.

palpatine basically erased Jedi history after order 66 began.
    Yeah, but Alderaan is a core world, right? And Gideon said Cara was from Alderaan? Why doesn't she know about the Jedi?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it is a little dumb no one knew. But I could see the mando not knowing if the clan didn't teach it. As they seem to be a pretty close knit cult. The armorer knew and maybe they teach about the jedi once you get your sigil or some other requirement. He just seems to be a late bloomer for stuff.
    How much do you think the average person knows about any monastic order in real life? And we just live on one planet.

In the Rim at least, we already see Jedi in a quasi-mythical status during A Phantom Menace - Anakin talks about them like they're storybook characters, and even Watto goes "what you think you're some kinda Jedi or something" like it's a commonplace expression of disbelief.

People need to realize just how large space is, and how difficult it is to effectively disseminate information across galactic distances. In the high-tech core worlds with constant exposure to mainstream media, that's one thing - in a derelict backwater place like the Rim it's quite another. And most of these stories take place at or near the Rim.

Even in our world of ubiquitous information availability, it's very easy for the public eye to forget events from only a few decades ago. You ask any young person on the street in the US about Waco or Ruby Ridge, chances are they'll never even have heard about it - and those were high profile events at the time, and could easily be relived today in great detail with the data available. Yet people have forgotten entirely. Of course the Jedi are on a bit of a different level from that, but still: the general public remembers far less than you might think, and forgets far more quickly than you might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I'm pretty sure Boba stripped the armor off Jango's corpse...

Then I guess he raised himself thereafter.
    jango's armor seems, i dunno "better" than boba's. i'm betting boba fett killed one of those random mandalorians like we see in the enclave and jacked their armor. plus jango's is a different color. plus, in Clone Wars, boba uses his father's helmet as an IED.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but Alderaan is a core world, right? And Gideon said Cara was from Alderaan? Why doesn't she know about the Jedi?
    She seemed to have basic knowledge of the Force when Baby Yoda choked her.

I can see how people would not have specific know almost 30 years after the Jedi temple fell and no one to continue their history in sight.

So I could claim that the prophecy was about Kylo and Rey fighting because that is what was accomplished in the end. You see what you want to see.
    Nope. But nice try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because the writers didn't have a red shirt guy in the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.