10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    I hope we'll see Yoda's homeworld at the end of the season!

Only to find out that Yoda was only an average force user (O_o)'
    I honestly hope we don't. I like Yoda's race being mysterious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I remember watching the fall of the Berlin Wall. On TV. People standing on top of it, breaking chunks off of it, etc.

And I'm not German. I'm not even European. Technically, I wasn't even American yet. We were just Indian immigrants on the path to citizenship in a blue collar town in the U.S.

And again, what you're talking about, in terms of controlling information, is not possible in a modern, technological setting, which is what Star Wars is. North Korea can't even manage it and they're taking the cave man approach by stifling access to technology itself. China is utterly failing at it and they're actively censoring information. In fact, wherever the Empire had less control, like the Outer Rim, the stories would be even more prevalent. Hell, Jabba knows who the Jedi were, and he was just a local crime lord who had never met one before he met Luke. And even in the core planet, with its trillions of inhabitants, it would be impossible to stamp down the spread of this knowledge. Especially a hopeful story, that went against the grain of a tyrannical Empire.
    This assumes that
    1) the average person cares about the Jedi ... they don't.
    2) the Jedi didn't horde information about themselves ... they did.
    3) the Jedi didn't generally live in close areas to one another ... they did.

Everything about the Jedi that were in the public sphere generally came from non-Jedi sources and thus would already be second hand tales to start with. They were peace keepers, and don't flashy use their force powers outside of defense. How many civilians do you think saw the Jedi use their powers at all?

I would go into a small Rise of Skywalker spoiler here that in a sense contradicts your argument, but I rather not.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The Jedi in the Star Wars Galaxy isn't "gone forever" it is move to the stuff of Legends for a variety of reasons.
    Nope, they're not even legends in Star Wars. People have literally never even heard of them or the Force, even characters who clearly should have (Cara).

People acting like "It was only 30 years ago" don't understand how memory works.
    Do you actually believe what you're trying to convey with that? I'm serious, do you as a human being actually believe that garbage?

Even if the memories aren't perfect (which I think is what you're actually trying to say, but it's not what you ARE saying), you still -- wait for it -- have memories of it. And if it was something as MAJOR and GALAXY-ALTERING as a Civil War that revolved around robots, clones, and wizards, you'd fucking remember that shit. Get details wrong? Sure. Not know the exact nature of everything that happened or why? Sure. But you'd fucking know robots, clones, and GOD DAMNED WIZARDS were involved at the very LEAST.

Oh, and keep in mind that even total mundanes not related to the Jedi at all knew and used "may the Force be with you" as a phrase. Most notably the Rebels. You know, the same Rebels mother fucking Cara was an elite soldier for.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2019-12-28 at 03:00 PM.

I have to agree the total ignorance of the force and Jedi is a bit jarring... Esp Cara should know something even rumors and scuttlebutt. I'm also sure there were rumors and stories of Vader using the darkside which should scare them of it. Takes away from the show for me but it's still good
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

What's going on here? Everyone arguing about whether or not people in the galaxy should know who the Jedi are? Seems as silly as arguing that everyone on the planet should know that Clark Kent is Superman. It's just one of those things they've established in this particular universe...just go with it.

It's not this series's fault that Lucas decided to basically ruin the mystery of the Jedi and the force with the prequels.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-12-28 at 03:31 PM.

I honestly hope we don't. I like Yoda's race being mysterious.

- - - Updated - - -

This assumes that
    1) the average person cares about the Jedi ... they don't.
    2) the Jedi didn't horde information about themselves ... they did.
    3) the Jedi didn't generally live in close areas to one another ... they did.

Everything about the Jedi that were in the public sphere generally came from non-Jedi sources and thus would already be second hand tales to start with. They were peace keepers, and don't flashy use their force powers outside of defense. How many civilians do you think saw the Jedi use their powers at all?

I would go into a small Rise of Skywalker spoiler here that in a sense contradicts your argument, but I rather not.
    Do you think the Chinese people, as a whole, don't remember the Tiannemen Square massacre? After all, it fits all your criteria.

It happened 30 years ago. It was suppressed by a government that didn't want any of its citizens to know about it. It is illegal to discuss and talk about.

It doesn't matter how many people saw it. It matters about whether people would know about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Nope, they're not even legends in Star Wars. People have literally never even heard of them or the Force, even characters who clearly should have (Cara).

Do you actually believe what you're trying to convey with that? I'm serious, do you as a human being actually believe that garbage?

Even if the memories aren't perfect (which I think is what you're actually trying to say, but it's not what you ARE saying), you still -- wait for it -- have memories of it. And if it was something as MAJOR and GALAXY-ALTERING as a Civil War that revolved around robots, clones, and wizards, you'd fucking remember that shit. Get details wrong? Sure. Not know the exact nature of everything that happened or why? Sure. But you'd fucking know robots, clones, and GOD DAMNED WIZARDS were involved at the very LEAST.

Oh, and keep in mind that even total mundanes not related to the Jedi at all knew and used "may the Force be with you" as a phrase. Most notably the Rebels. You know, the same Rebels mother fucking Cara was an elite soldier for.
    1) We don't know how old Cara is, outside she was born or at least grew up on Alderaan.
    2) How many people say Goodbye (which is God be with you) without understanding what it comes from?
    3) That is what I am saying, just because you can't understand concept that are memories are highly faulty that even what you think you remember from last week can be viewed as false. We can implant false memories in people. The memory of people in highly unreliable. Look at the real world, there are tons of example of major events people remember wrong.

And that memory is faulty AND the government actively suppressing information leads to what we have.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think the Chinese people, as a whole, don't remember the Tiannemen Square massacre? After all, it fits all your criteria.

It happened 30 years ago. It was suppressed by a government that didn't want any of its citizens to know about it. It is illegal to discuss and talk about.

It doesn't matter how many people saw it. It matters about whether people would know about it.
    I don't know, do you have a poll concerning that that supports you? Are you in China where you can ask someone if they know it?

Also, you bring up a case where people argue on whether or not a man was run over by a tank.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2019-12-28 at 03:37 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I remember when I was 8 fairly well. The Berlin Wall fell when I was 8. I still remember that.

I'd know it even better if there was a large scale war that involved nearly the entire galaxy.

I'm not sure what to think of people who say they don't know who Jesus and John Wayne are, in this thread. Non-Christians know who Jesus is regularly, and I've never even seen a Western but I know that John Wayne acted in them long before I was ever born. It's not feasible to me that *everyone* can live such a closed-off life. Which is what it would require for people to not know who the Jedi are, 30 years after the fall of the Republic.

Like, even if I'm a country bumpkin, who doesn't follow any news - someone is going to know about the Jedi, and things like space wizards permeate culture pretty readily - especially if they're actually real.

For example, the events on Naboo, witnessed by both Gungans and Nabooians (?) would still be widely known, 30 years later, just from the actions of 2 Jedi who briefly were entangled in their politics. Even if I'm a Gungan who never left the underwater city and may have even been born afterwards, that's an event I'm going to hear about.

I'm boggled by why this is the hill people want to die on, that a galaxy with interstellar travel AND communication, would be so ignorant about important events that happened in living memory.
    Because most Americans don't care what countries are in the EU, and most people in the EU can't name a couple of states, ask some random person what year the Battle of the Bulge occurred, what units took part, who were the generals?

Now multiply that by planets. Courscant was the only planet with a significant Jedi presence, and there were about 10k Jedi at the start of the clone wars. Galaxies of trillions and quadrillions and there were only 10k. The show is very clear this is taking place very far away from anything that anyone cares about.

Is this show really a hit because of Baby Yoda?

5+ Year Old Account
    I know they are a 'joke race' well not really if u pretend jar jar didn't happen...he is the odd goofball...the gungan general was pretty sensible..

but if I were Din Djarin (will take time to get used to that name), I'd go buy a Gungan shield, can be held with one arm, is light-weight, can use other arm to shoot with, because it's light-weight shield, can turn it off n put on back to use his big rifle...
    it may or may not get in the way of his phoenix flightpack...but at least it's better to absorb explosions such as the one that almost killed him in episode 8.

Ofc the mandalorian wrist energy shields would be preferable for mobility+defense, but those items are rare, less rare is big back missile but then a big gungan shield would definitely get in the way..
    I'd imagine the shield batteries won't last very long until they need to be charged again..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    No, episode one was awesome before we even saw the little womp rat.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-28 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Because most Americans don't care what countries are in the EU, and most people in the EU can't name a couple of states, ask some random person what year the Battle of the Bulge occurred, what units took part, who were the generals?

Now multiply that by planets. Courscant was the only planet with a significant Jedi presence, and there were about 10k Jedi at the start of the clone wars. Galaxies of trillions and quadrillions and there were only 10k. The show is very clear this is taking place very far away from anything that anyone cares about.
    Most people aren't as politically disinterested as Americans are, though. It's, in fact, quite the exception to the rule. And I imagine it would be the exception to the rule of the galaxy as well.

One of my favorite stories to illustrate this is how I was in India, in December, 2000, and went out to get some tea from the chaiwallah (literally "tea seller"), a street vendor who falls into a very uneducated, lower class type of category. When my cousin told him that I was American, he launched into a series of questioning, like he was interviewing me, about the 2000 election, and the Supreme Court decision to stop the recount in Florida, and Bush versus Gore, and who the better man was.

People around the world are generally interested in politics because politics touch their daily lives. America is not the norm, in this case. And I think you'd be surprised at how up-to-date EU citizens are on American politics....whereas naming the states isn't really an important facet of that.

Plus, the show goes out of its way to say Cara is from Alderaan. While not Coruscant, it's a core world that was literally blown up because of the Rebellion and the Organas involvement in it. This isn't an idle mention, in the same exposition, we learn Mando's name is Djin Djarin, and that Carl Weathers is a disgraced former magistrate. Maybe you want to multiply that by the number of planets in the galaxy, but then you need to divide it by the ease of interstellar travel and communication. When randos like The Mando and Han Solo can run their own interstellar freighters capable of hyperspace travel, and literally anyone can communicate offworld, that makes the galaxy smaller, much like cell phones make the world infinitely smaller as well.

Most people aren't as politically disinterested as Americans are, though. It's, in fact, quite the exception to the rule. And I imagine it would be the exception to the rule of the galaxy as well.

One of my favorite stories to illustrate this is how I was in India, in December, 2000, and went out to get some tea from the chaiwallah (literally "tea seller"), a street vendor who falls into a very uneducated, lower class type of category. When my cousin told him that I was American, he launched into a series of questioning, like he was interviewing me, about the 2000 election, and the Supreme Court decision to stop the recount in Florida, and Bush versus Gore, and who the better man was.

People around the world are generally interested in politics because politics touch their daily lives. America is not the norm, in this case. And I think you'd be surprised at how up-to-date EU citizens are on American politics....whereas naming the states isn't really an important facet of that.

Plus, the show goes out of its way to say Cara is from Alderaan. While not Coruscant, it's a core world that was literally blown up because of the Rebellion and the Organas involvement in it. This isn't an idle mention, in the same exposition, we learn Mando's name is Djin Djarin, and that Carl Weathers is a disgraced former magistrate. Maybe you want to multiply that by the number of planets in the galaxy, but then you need to divide it by the ease of interstellar travel and communication. When randos like The Mando and Han Solo can run their own interstellar freighters capable of hyperspace travel, and literally anyone can communicate offworld, that makes the galaxy smaller, much like cell phones make the world infinitely smaller as well.
    Starwars has never shown that there is an interplanetary information network. We are still talking about common citizens here, many of whom live on worlds that seem to be barely outside of 20th century in way of life and mobility.

I think you guys are applying a little too much modern us and modern country to this. Outside of a select few systems, most of what we see are dirt farmers with very little mobility and really no care.

If I remember correctly, I dont think the leaders of the trade federation knew what jedi were, or at least couldn't identify them outright.

Also Han and it seems Mando operate almost exclusively in the outer ring and Hutt space. Which barely have an empire presence, not to mention Hutt space was off limits to the republic and empire. If you lived there you would basically never a story of jedi.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2019-12-28 at 05:58 PM.

1) We don't know how old Cara is, outside she was born or at least grew up on Alderaan.
    2) How many people say Goodbye (which is God be with you) without understanding what it comes from?
    3) That is what I am saying, just because you can't understand concept that are memories are highly faulty that even what you think you remember from last week can be viewed as false. We can implant false memories in people. The memory of people in highly unreliable. Look at the real world, there are tons of example of major events people remember wrong.

And that memory is faulty AND the government actively suppressing information leads to what we have.
    One's eyes cannot roll as sufficiently as your post requires.

1.) She's old enough to have grown up on Alderaan.
    2.) Goodbye hasn't been "God be with you" since at least the 1600s. It doesn't even have "God" in it anymore, or any religious symbolism whatsoever. That's an origin of a word. As opposed to "May the FORCE be with you" which is nothing even remotely relating to how Goodbye came into the lexicon. "God bless you" after a sneeze would be a much closer example, and even that's pushing it, given that the phrase was even uttered in a "hopefully the magic of our galaxy will help you defeat the Empire" way it was used by a regular every day dude in the movies.
    3.) If that was what you're saying, it's idiotic. That's NOT how memory works. "Frank, that memory is from 30 years ago. Ergo, it is completely false, it never happened, nor did anything relating to it ever happen. You see, this is how memory works, and anything that old is just something you made up out of nothing. <tooks on pipe> I am a genius on the matter, you see." Fucking moronic.

You can't even get how propaganda works. "If memory is faulty and people aren't giving out new information, that makes it even MORE made up in your head! And even if it was just made up in your head, no one's going to acknowledge it, know of its existence, and never talk about it, because everyone collectively knows anythign from THAT ANCIENT TIME LONG AGO of 30 years is just made-up hokum and history never happened. Especially history reaching back for -- wait for it -- TENS OF THOUSANDS OF FUCKING YEARS. <tooks on pipe again> As I said, I'm an acredited genius on such matters."

EDIT: By the way: Tiananmen Square. <koffs>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    No. But he's a great part of it.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2019-12-28 at 06:02 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Starwars has never shown that there is an interplanetary information network.
    They have holographic instantaneous communication across the GALAXY. Of course, they have an INTRAGALACTIC information network. It's called Holonet - and it's canon.
    If I remember correctly, I dont think the leaders of the trade federation knew what jedi were, or at least couldn't identify them outright.
    They knew who they were, even their protocol droids could identify Jedi - as shown in Phantom Menace - they were scared shitless.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think I missed something but how did Kuiil die? The stormtroopers? Baby Yoda? IG-11?. That said overall I liked it, I really liked the music.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    I think I missed something but how did Kuiil die? The stormtroopers? Baby Yoda? IG-11?. That said overall I liked it, I really liked the music.
    Stormtroopers barreling towards him. Next scene, he’s dead. Kind of implied they killed him, which is odd since the scene in the next episode shows them unable to hit a can 5 feet away. Funny scene, but takes away that they were able to hit him and not hurt the real target at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    It's heavily implied the stormtroopers were responsible, though the fun intro to the finale suggests it was impossible, hahaha.

No one is saying it would be impossible for someone to know what the Jedi are, we're saying that in a galaxy with so many beings I can't wrap my head around it, it's utterly possible that many people don't know who they are. You're talking about one planet whose media system we understand quite well and comparing it to 50+ million planets whose media system we know nothing about. We don't even know how much Jedi were talked about, what people on various planets were taught. Maybe they very deliberately kept themselves a mystery. Maybe the Sith suppression campaign started long before their final bid for power. Lots of possibilities.

This is a very minor suspension of disbelief. You ask why we're dying on this hill and man I have no clue why you are so committed to tackling this point either. Especially Doctor Funkenstein who seems super angry about it too.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2019-12-28 at 06:42 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    They hit him with the big gun mounted on the hoverbike, not their guns, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Considering how the Mandalorians are almost a monk-like group, it is possible that they are celibate. I am no Star Wars expert on lore, but it is not some far fetched idea.
    I guess being more steeped in the lore makes it seem far fetched. And honestly I think any order choosing celibacy is silly, no offense to any priests/monks itt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Especially Doctor Funkenstein who seems super angry about it too.
    I just have a very low tolerance for stupidity and voluntarily ignorance.

Again, we're not talking about some obscure monastic culture hidden away on a mountain top. The Jedi were -the- galactic police force for longer than multiples of all of human history. There was also a massive war in living memory for most people that affected every aspect of said galaxy, and certainly every planet and culture we've seen on the show, one that revolved exclusively around robots, clones, and wizards -- with those wizards being the aforementioned galactic police force.

It's absolutely absurd to say that most people in the galaxy have no idea what a Jedi is, what the Force is, or that magic existed in their galaxy. Their history is STEEPED in all of that, and unlike our world -- where such things are well known even if only in myths, legends, and religions -- it was REAL in theirs. Wizards actually existed, played major roles in the entire galaxy's histories for tens of thousands of years, and were again involved in their version of World War II that -- again, unlike our world -- only just recently happened a couple of decades earlier and in the actual living memory of people on the show.

There is no rational explanation for any of that. And certainly not the boob-headed ones being offered in this thread like "lol, propaganda and, lol, memory over 30 years ago is a lie and/or don't exist!".