Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Bait much. Pass.
    I don't see how my opinion is bait. I loved the prequels, they also came out when I was 12 so I hold them in a special place in my heart. I also saw Episode 1 3 times in theatres and one of those times was my first time ever going to a drive in theatre. I don't care about the whole Anakin to darth Vader stuff what I enjoy is the manipulation of Palpatine and the Sith to totally overturn an entire Galaxies ruling body and class and placing himself as the leader/emperor. I did honestly love ROS it hit all the things it needed to for me, I called Palpatine being behind the whole thing from the start and he was and in great fashion.

Its odd that the toy iine refers to Palpatine as emperor. i thought the backstory on him was that emperor palpatine was a clone and it died in episode 6. the palpatine we see in episode 9 is the REAL palpatine but he never was emperor. im confused.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Pretty clear its fake when they say JJ said: "no business meddling with the creatives”. When you know your entire career relies on nostalgia, mysteries that never get answered, and having other people make things pretty for you I think its safe to assume you know your not a creative.

Also lol: " The next scene was noise as the Falcon was landing and Rey runs over there. Those two women who kissed at the end were visible in this shot and they were holding hands. One of them ran towards the Falcon as it landed."

It's clear this is just someone trying negate all the criticisms of the film and erase them with a mythical JJ cut we will never see.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2020-01-02 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    You can't make your own decisions?
    The smart descision is actually to wait for reviews before buying something. Only an idiot goes into the shop and buys the first item with the biggest advertisment, that is pretty much the definition of sheeple. Though I'm sure your lame attempt at an insult over 4 months after he made the post and 2 weeks after the movie came out will carry alot of weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Its odd that the toy iine refers to Palpatine as emperor. i thought the backstory on him was that emperor palpatine was a clone and it died in episode 6. the palpatine we see in episode 9 is the REAL palpatine but he never was emperor. im confused.
    Afaik he is supposed to be the Palpatine that was the emperor. The part you are supposed to ignore is how he survived being disintegrated in the reactor core.

The only thing Abrams understands less than "space" is highschool physics and byond in general.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    If he created a clone of himself why wouldn't he just transfer his essence into it? There would be no need for Rey.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    DEU seems like a good choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I think an apt comparison is if we are watching the last parts of the "Wonder Woman Saga" where there's an existential threat to the galaxy. Wonder Woman says "screw it all", and flies back to Themyscira, and then they introduce, "Bob", a man with no backstory who happens to be more powerful than Wonder Woman and heroically gets out of every situation, repeatedly saves other people, and then saves the whole galaxy while wishing a fond farewell to Wonder Woman while they bury her...'cause she died half way through the story. But thankfully we had Bob to wrap everything up for her.

Oh yeah, forgot to add, after Wonder Woman dies, they name the final chapter The Rise of Wonder Woman, (even though she remains dead), but at the end they finally ask Bob what his name is, and he says, "It's Bob. Bob Wonderwoman", even though he has no relations to Wonder Woman.

I'm guessing next to no one would like Bob, and it wouldn't be because he's a man.

I dont understand why anyone freaks over star wars trilogies. Literally all of them are carbon copies of the first trilogy. Some new irrelevant person is the savior of all.. Previously irrelevant person fails even though they think they succeeded. New big bad comes to play. New savior. The latest trilogy actually completed a story and a side triumphed.. At least it has that going for it.. As a whole, the 9 skywalker movies were all pretty great imo. They had their negatives as do all movies..

everyone is a critic.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    If he created a clone of himself why wouldn't he just transfer his essence into it? There would be no need for Rey.
    If that was a clone, why is Palpatine all scarred and burned like we're supposed to believe that he survived the explosion?

And can he actually ever die since they've chosen to die on the hill of cloning and dark force powers to cheat death?

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    I dont understand why anyone freaks over star wars trilogies. Literally all of them are carbon copies of the first trilogy. Some new irrelevant person is the savior of all.. Previously irrelevant person fails even though they think they succeeded. New big bad comes to play. New savior. The latest trilogy actually completed a story and a side triumphed.. At least it has that going for it.. As a whole, the 9 skywalker movies were all pretty great imo. They had their negatives as do all movies..

everyone is a critic.
    Return of the Jedi ends soundly with the end of the Imperial Army...what do you mean the latest one actually completed a story? Could almost literally not make a new trilogy series and the story was wrapped up. At best it could have used an epilogue to describe how the Rebels win on Endor and the death of both Vader and Palpatine ended the long struggle for freedom in the galaxy.

The only thing the new trilogy did somewhat is make Rey fulfill the part of the Chosen One prophecy by bring balance to the Force (as she displays Dark and Light powers) and that's a stretch at best. It would have made more sense if her and Ben were always going to be together and their child was the more literally a child of both sides of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    If that was a clone, why is Palpatine all scarred and burned like we're supposed to believe that he survived the explosion?

And can he actually ever die since they've chosen to die on the hill of cloning and dark force powers to cheat death?
    But you need the follow the ritual, else it does't work. Cut from the upper left to the lower right, while putting your weight on your right foot and and wiggling with your left toe. If you don't do that the dark force ritual will fail and you need to start over by pressing Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

Exactly. If he was just some super old mother fucker they could have just made him look old. I guess they could maybe claim using force lighting for a couple thousand years burnt off his fingers but you would think him using it on the fleet and then Rey would have been more than anything he could have done before and it didn't damage him until it was reflected back.

Plus would Rey even technically be his granddaughter then? She would have to be the granddaughter of his clone. And would someone so evil and greedy really make a clone that could potentially overthrow them? Clearly if you aren't going to possess it you would want to make it weaker or somehow controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    But you need the follow the ritual, else it does't work. Cut from the upper left to the lower right, while putting your weight on your right foot and and wiggling with your left toe. If you don't do that the dark force ritual will fail and you need to start over by pressing Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!
    Yeah that part of the film was retarded too lol. I like how the "ritual" turns out to just be walking up and stabbing him with hate in her heart.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2020-01-02 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post

everyone is a critic.
    Yeah remember when Anakin learns he's Dooku's son in attack of the clones? Or that grim moment when Luke killed Mon Mothma's kids after he turned to the dark side?

Seriously though, there are some superficial similarities and story beat echoes between the OT and prequels, but on the whole they are telling two very different stories. This new trilogy didn't have to be such a twisted copy of the old one (TLJ aside which, whatever you may want to say, marches to the beat of its own drum), Disney was just too scared to do anything else.

At the end of RotJ they basically had triumphed until the next set of films came out, so worry not - if they decide to build on this storyline instead of rebooting it they will invalidate this win too.

Yeah that part of the film was retarded too lol. I like how the "ritual" turns out to just be walking up and stabbing him with hate in her heart.
    The way he narrated that part was pure cringe, the only reason they get away with it is because Ian McDiarmid's rendition is already so (lovely) campy and over the top to begin with .

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    DEU seems like a good choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I think an apt comparison is if we are watching the last parts of the "Wonder Woman Saga" where there's an existential threat to the galaxy. Wonder Woman says "screw it all", and flies back to Themyscira, and then they introduce, "Bob", a man with no backstory who happens to be more powerful than Wonder Woman and heroically gets out of every situation, repeatedly saves other people, and then saves the whole galaxy while wishing a fond farewell to Wonder Woman while they bury her...'cause she died half way through the story. But thankfully we had Bob to wrap everything up for her.

Oh yeah, forgot to add, after Wonder Woman dies, they name the final chapter The Rise of Wonder Woman, (even though she remains dead), but at the end they finally ask Bob what his name is, and he says, "It's Bob. Bob Wonderwoman", even though he has no relations to Wonder Woman.

I'm guessing next to no one would like Bob, and it wouldn't be because he's a man.
    Careful now being that rational will get you accused of sexism round these parts.

This new trilogy should've been about Kyle Katarn. But no. We need to copy paste old trilogy and empower whamen.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The whole point of that subplot is to show how rash and stupid and eventually futile the "heroics" of Poe and Finn, and the naive idea of goodness that Rose has, actually are.

Keep in mind, Holdo's plan WOULD HAVE WORKED if Poe had just followed orders, and they took the cloaked transports down to the planet and hid as the First Order passed overhead. But Poe not only sent them on the bizarre and unnecessary side quest, he also, on open comms, *while he knew there was an unknown code breaker on board* discusses Holdo's plan and how stupid it is, giving the code breaker (Benicio Del Torro's character) the information he would later use to betray them.

I agree, the side quest is kind of clunky, particularly in the whole "enslaved animals need to be freed but fuck the slave kids" angle. It is also pointless in terms of achieving the characters' goals. But it isn't pointless in terms of theming, and hitting on the lessons RJ was trying to convey about the naivete of people like Poe, Finn, and Rose.

The average moviegoer, though, doesn't seem to care about themes or morality plays - they deem anything that doesn't move the immediate plot forwards to be useless.
    Finn and Jar Jar's story doesn't move any plot forward, not just the immediate one. And that is the issue with it. Especially since their plan never had the chance of working out from the get go, making it the poster child of uselessness. And if you have a useless journey built on a useless plan drag on for half the movie just to drive the point as basic as "rash heroics are useless", the uselessness factor kinda ramps up to critical levels. Speaking of which, the fact that their plan was doomed from the start would have played perfectly into the theme of how they acted rashly and how pointless their behavior was. It would be the crowning example of that, actually. Yet that is never even acknowledged by the movie, let alone addressed. So maybe that theme wasn't there, or at least not as developed as you think it was. Maybe Johnson just didn't know WTF what to do with Finn, just like Abrams didn't know WTF what to do with Knights of Ren.

Also, Holdo's plan WOULD HAVE WORKED if she was capable of communicating properly instead of letting everyone think they are aimlessly floating around waiting for the sweet release of death for 75% of the time they had left and letting their thoughts go to some very dark places for no reason whatsoever, all the while lording Poe's demotion over him despite his "rash heroics" at the start of the movie saving the Resistance by preventing the fleet buster (as he called it, at least paraphrasing what he said) from actually doing its job before the Resistance got to flee (at least discounting the negative amount of brain cells of that dreadnought's crew from the equation) all at the cost of some bombers that the Resistance wouldn't have used other way anyway. Not defending Poe's behavior in TLJ, but Holdo was also a moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The smart descision is actually to wait for reviews before buying something. Only an idiot goes into the shop and buys the first item with the biggest advertisment, that is pretty much the definition of sheeple.
    The only difference between the two - the one who waits for reviews gets the product much later than the one who just goes and buys it.
    Both are sheeple. They are just being herded by different shepherds.

A person who thinks for himself - still goes to the shop and looks at the product itself, ignoring ads and reviewers verdicts, tries it and then decides whether to buy it.
    There were no rituals ever mentioned. A dark side essence cannot transfer into a light side body. Hence "you hate me, now kill me, strike me down". Duh.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Pretty clear its fake when they say JJ said: "no business meddling with the creatives”. When you know your entire career relies on nostalgia, mysteries that never get answered, and having other people make things pretty for you I think its safe to assume you know your not a creative.

Also lol: " The next scene was noise as the Falcon was landing and Rey runs over there. Those two women who kissed at the end were visible in this shot and they were holding hands. One of them ran towards the Falcon as it landed."

It's clear this is just someone trying negate all the criticisms of the film and erase them with a mythical JJ cut we will never see.
    It's from a subreddit called SaltierThanCrait which solely exists to whine and bitch about the Disney SW films. Looking at the top posts there is a lesson in idiocy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a well-crafted troll, especially considering it reads like a JJ love letter defending him from evil Disney meddling. Especially the bullet point "Jannah was confirmed to be Lando's daughter." Reads straight like fanfiction of how they'd change things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Finn and Jar Jar's story doesn't move any plot forward, not just the immediate one. And that is the issue with it. Especially since their plan never had the chance of working out from the get go, making it the poster child of uselessness. And if you have a useless journey built on a useless plan drag on for half the movie just to drive the point as basic as "rash heroics are useless", the uselessness factor kinda ramps up to critical levels. Speaking of which, the fact that their plan was doomed from the start would have played perfectly into the theme of how they acted rashly and how pointless their behavior was. It would be the crowning example of that, actually. Yet that is never even acknowledged by the movie, let alone addressed. So maybe that theme wasn't there, or at least not as developed as you think it was. Maybe Johnson just didn't know WTF what to do with Finn, just like Abrams didn't know WTF what to do with Knights of Ren.
    How was Poe's plan a failure from the beginning? Maz Kanata's contact was there; in fact, he was played by Justin Theroux. He had the red flower in his lapel, and everything. Things just got derailed and Finn and Rose got arrested, and they had to make do with DJ the slicer. They never got to use Theroux, who would presumably be an "honest" or allied hacker who wouldn't betray them.

And the fact that it got derailed so early, again, reinforces the rashness of the plan, which was to literally crash a wealthy, private casino who would obviously notice outsiders like Finn/Rose, and try and drag away a contact none of them knew personally to go hack a FO ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The only difference between the two - the one who waits for reviews gets the product much later than the one who just goes and buys it.
    Both are sheeple. They are just being herded by different shepherds.

A person who thinks for himself - still goes to the shop and looks at the product itself, ignoring ads and reviewers verdicts, tries it and then decides whether to buy it.

There were no rituals ever mentioned. A dark side essence cannot transfer into a light side body. Hence "you hate me, now kill me, strike me down". Duh.
    Nonsense, there are things you simply can't test for yourself by just going into a shop. No car dealer will let you drive a car for 50k miles to determine typical wear and tear stuff, that is why you read reviews. Samsungs fold phones were torn apart by reviewers because they simply didn't hold what they promised and that only came to light because people rigorously used them, also something you won't learn by just going to shop and fiddling with it for 5 minutes. The trick with reviews is to find a source you trust or who are at least capable of describing things in a neutral way, I've seen plenty of reviews I disagreed with but I still got the information I needed from them.

Your gotcha moment really isn't one.

As for the "ritual", I wasn't aware you can flip between "light side body" and "dark side body" in a matter of seconds. This is totally not some hare-brained bullshit to create pseudo-tension, which already made little sense when Kenobi and Qui-Gon pulled similar nonsense for force ghost ascension, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im fucking tired of the time between episodes 3 and 4. And right now it seems thats what disney is jacking off to non fucking stop. Cool the empire hunted down the last jedi. How about you fill in the 30 years between yavin and episode 7. How about you explain why the new republic is a worthless fucking excuse. Explain how those that fought against the empire thier entire lives just sat back and let it come back to life and walk all over the galaxy. The new lore is trash, disneys direction is awfull. Kathleen kennedy is pure fucking cancer and needs to be removed.
    This would be an interesting topic for them to explore. Such a force of ineptitude coming into existence should have quite a tale to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    If seems unlikely that it has any thing to do with dark side essences or light side body’s given that we have had a few Possessions in the new canon If I had to guess I’d say the ritual was meant to corrupt her not possess her kinda like the son does to Ashoka but though different means.