Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Should I pay rent to my dad?

Okay, so.. I'm 33 years old, and live in my dad's house (who doesn't live here). I pay all the bills (water, electricity, internet, trash collecting, etc), buy my own food and order / pay for propane and heating oil when it needs to be replenished.. I also pay my dad 400 / month on top of that as a form of rent, eventhough he doesn't really need to worry about anything in regards to the house in terms of basic payments that you'd expect from owning / living in a home.

Recently, as I'm currently in the process of buying something of my own, I've been questioning if it's "fair" for me to spend that 400 / month on my dad instead of saving it and adding more money to my "own house fund".. What do you guys / girls think?

Sure, it's plenty fair, but there would also be nothing wrong with a parent deciding to help their son by refusing payment. I think you really need to go by the specifics of your relationship rather than worrying about whether it's generally fair or unfair.

Yep, rent is rent.

If you don't like it, then rent elsewhere.

It's not unfair that he charges you rent, especially being that it is only $400 per month for an entire house. However, if my son were saving for his own home, and I was financially secure, then I would let him live for free.

How can we tell if we don't know in what financial situation you or your father is in? Or what your relationship looks like.
    My father would never take anymoney from me - even if I wanted to pay -, and most likely even pay the extra bills.
    But I also don't find it strange that he would take (a low) rent if he wants it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So your paying for everything in the house and also paying your father money?
    Honestly it might be cheaper for you to rent someone else what is the house market like in that area

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    Okay, so.. I'm 33 years old, and live in my dad's house (who doesn't live here). I pay all the bills (water, electricity, internet, trash collecting, etc), buy my own food and order / pay for propane and heating oil when it needs to be replenished.. I also pay my dad 400 / month on top of that as a form of rent, eventhough he doesn't really need to worry about anything in regards to the house in terms of basic payments that you'd expect from owning / living in a home.

Recently, as I'm currently in the process of buying something of my own, I've been questioning if it's "fair" for me to spend that 400 / month on my dad instead of saving it and adding more money to my "own house fund".. What do you guys / girls think?
    You don't own the house so of course you should pay rent. They still need to pay taxes on the house even if it's completely paid off. But it's really up to your dad.

Just curious, what's your total bills for a month? What does that compare to you renting your own house? That should tell you what is fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    rent doesn't care about what you want.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    How can we tell if we don't know in what financial situation you or your father is in? Or what your relationship looks like.
    My father would never take anymoney from me - even if I wanted to pay -, and most likely even pay the extra bills.
    But I also don't find it strange that he would take (a low) rent if he wants it.
    I have a steady job, my dad's retired.. Financially it doesn't hurt me to pay 400 / month in rent, nor would it hurt him to NOT get that money. However, I'm not a spoiled little brat and have no real issue with paying 400 / month on "rent" and am well aware that things don't usually come to you for free. It's more of a "should I pay this amount, while I pay all the bills and am saving for a home of my own" kind of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you talk with your Dad about it?

It's fair to pay your dad rent, but it's also fair if your dad decides that he doesn't want you to pay him rent, since he feels that he's helping out a loved one.

Its not "fair" because fair would be paying more in rent. Its completely up to your dad to charge you or not charge you and you should just talk to him. Does he have a mortgage on the home?

I'm pretty certain if it was my dad he would just tell me the house is mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    What do you guys / girls think?
    Shouldn't you be talking with your dad about this? If he's a super cool dad and since he doesn't benefit from the house and has no plans to benefit from it he'd most likely tell you to cut off this "my own house" crap since the house you live in is already yours.

Talk to your dad not random people in gaming forums.

I’m of the belief that one should try to help their kids so I wouldn’t expect rent. I’d expect the. To save and get their own place.

Rent isn't fair. But then neither is life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Have to agree with the "Talk to Dad" bit.

Sounds like a fair deal, it's questionable if your dad should take it if he doesn't need it (like at all), but on your part you have a good deal going, he could after all make alot more money by properly renting it out. You could talk to him, but I would you advise to keep that in mind.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fair. I paid $1k in monthly rent to my mom when I was living in a family-owned apartment (still below market price) in addition to all utilities. It's not the nicest thing to require rent payments from your kids but it's certainly fair.

I would have a talk with your dad. Does he know you are saving up to buy a house of your own? Maybe he would consider dropping the payments so that you could save quicker/save more.

Even though you pay everything else, he does still have to pay the school and property taxes ( if you have them where you live) so that is still an expense to him for a house he is not living in.