Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Movie came out last year

Art book comes out in Spring...dafuq? Did they hire George RR Martin?...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Star-Wa...s%2C164&sr=8-1
    I agree that it's stupid but makes sense from a a business standpoint.

The art book is like a deeper dive of the visual dictionary. Why let impulsive buyers choose one when you can get them to buy both by spreading out the releases? Also have to do the canonical pass because Disney and the fandom is obsessed with merchandise going into the smallest amount of details spread across several sources of material.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-01-04 at 08:20 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I agree that it's stupid but makes sense from a a business standpoint.

The art book is like a deeper dive of the visual dictionary. Qhy
    But art books always come out just after movies do...

The last jedi movie came out december 13, the art book came out december 15

sometimes some books come out a week after, but 3 months later? weird
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-04 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But art books always come out just after movies do...
    I feel the pain.

I decided to get the visual dictionary now that the saga is done. They didn't update the 'complete edition' to include TROS. Now I have two books. One with TROS and one with everything else

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I feel the pain.

I decided to get the visual dictionary now that the saga is done. They didn't update the 'complete edition' to include TROS. Now I have two books. One with TROS and one with everything else
    Did they ever release art books for the prequel trilogy? Edit: I found them, sheesh they are old n not up to the standard we are used to today, they should do new ones

Haven't played the fallen order game, didn't know until now there was an art book, looks pretty cool from the few pictures shown
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Star-Wa...s=books&sr=1-1
    Nvm, found a vid
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-04 at 10:24 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Saw it again today as my grandparents wanted to go and they were out of country when it first released.

They both enjoyed it though felt it had to much of a focus on Rey and nostalgia, my views on it didn’t change at all.

Movie came out last year

Art book comes out in Spring...dafuq? Did they hire George RR Martin?...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Star-Wa...s%2C164&sr=8-1
    They have to go through and censor what they don't want the public knowing about. Can't have people knowing more of Colin Trevorrow's plot that required Luke staying alive, or what the ultimate endgame of Abram's story was before they shoved the Emperor in.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    They have to go through and censor what they don't want the public knowing about. Can't have people knowing more of Colin Trevorrow's plot that required Luke staying alive, or what the ultimate endgame of Abram's story was before they shoved the Emperor in.
    oh man...corporate bs getting in the way of me books...darn bastards..

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    They'll have to look into every agreement that Disney has concerning the Star Wars IP and see how much money changed hands.
    They "hide" it by merge the revenue with other merchandise in the accounting. So if the number was good, they have no motive to "hide" it. But if you have better numbers be free to post them.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    They "hide" it by merge the revenue with other merchandise in the accounting. So if the number was good, they have no motive to "hide" it. But if you have better numbers be free to post them.
    Or they don't need a reason to show it? Seriously, I don't need to disprove someone else's ill proven claim. I can just point out they do not know for sure what they are saying is remotely correct. Keep in mind, Disney gets money off everything Star Wars ... you buy a toy lightsaber, Disney gets money ... etc. This numbers are hidden, they are just incredibly hard to actually track down.

Plus, how do you calculate the cost of staff that work sometimes dealing with Star Wars and sometimes with another property without knowing exactly how it breaks down? I don't need better numbers to understand the people talking are just spinning a story.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-01-05 at 12:56 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    She received training on how to pilot boats in super extreme weather? Baby yoda is 50 years old and you have no idea what happened to him before the Mandalorian. We also know jack shit of his species not even its name but we do know about humans. Hell for all we know Yoda and the other two that look like him (Yaddle and baby) could just be what happens to people with powerful lightside abilites after 40 years. Not that I think thats the case but with how Disney did the sequel trilogy I wouldn't put it past them. Here's hoping they use a non cgi or makeup Dwayne Johnson for a young Yoda film.
    Piloting in 3d space is harder than 2d space. Destiny and all of that nonsense...force guiding her....blah blah. Some of you try to hard.

- - - Updated - - -

When do we ever see Rey so exhausted from using her newfound power that she's forced into unconsciousness? Not to mention The Child's over 50 and we have no knowledge of how long he's be learning to flex his force muscles, Rey goes from not knowing the force to battling a trained Jedi to a standstill in a matter of days.
    Ren was not a Jedi.... I recall him needing to finish his training as well. Not really a fully trained anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Ren was not a Jedi.... I recall him needing to finish his training as well. Not really a fully trained anything.
    Whether Ben Solo is considered to be a fully trained Jedi he was the best of Luke's students and was able to fight off three others when he left Luke's temple, on top of ~7 years of tutelage under Snoke.

She also beat Luke in their weather vane/staff fight.

Whether Ben Solo is considered to be a fully trained Jedi he was the best of Luke's students and was able to fight off three others when he left Luke's temple, on top of ~7 years of tutelage under Snoke.

She also beat Luke in their weather vane/staff fight.
    I think that people stick Luke up on a pedestal where he shouldn't be placed. Or what you wanted Luke to kill Rey?

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed the movie. Think the ending could have used a little work, but it was pretty good up until like, the final battle. The Rey/Kylo battle was amazing. The Palps/Rey/Kylo fight was kinda less so.

I think what I liked most about it was FINALLY getting to see some real sith on screen. The massive, impossible temple. The enormous imposing statues. Hordes of sith followers chanting. That was awesome. That was the sort of sith that we see in games, comics and elsewhere that really give this sort of grandeur and power beyond a giant space fleet and some space lightning. Which, ya know, is still frikken impressive, but differently. There's a certain kind of impressive and imposing that only the sith can really pull off.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I enjoyed the movie. Think the ending could have used a little work, but it was pretty good up until like, the final battle. The Rey/Kylo battle was amazing. The Palps/Rey/Kylo fight was kinda less so.

I think what I liked most about it was FINALLY getting to see some real sith on screen. The massive, impossible temple. The enormous imposing statues. Hordes of sith followers chanting. That was awesome. That was the sort of sith that we see in games, comics and elsewhere that really give this sort of grandeur and power beyond a giant space fleet and some space lightning. Which, ya know, is still frikken impressive, but differently. There's a certain kind of impressive and imposing that only the sith can really pull off.
    The only issue with that is that it totally comes out of left field, narratively.

If TFA and TLJ had had these rumblings of some sort of Sith Conspiracy in the works, and alluded to the history of the Sith and their powers and trappings, it would have made more sense. But in this film, it's literally a case of "The Emperor is back, go fight him now."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The only issue with that is that it totally comes out of left field, narratively.

If TFA and TLJ had had these rumblings of some sort of Sith Conspiracy in the works, and alluded to the history of the Sith and their powers and trappings, it would have made more sense. But in this film, it's literally a case of "The Emperor is back, go fight him now."
    The bittersweet thing about SW is its all been foreshadowed one way or another in other media. Cool if you read all of that stuff and picked up on it. WTF if you only watch the movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

I dunno, I kinda liked the left-field-ness of it. Like, foreshadowing for the sake of the viewer is annoying. I want to feel that same "OMG WTF I had no idea this was even a thing!" the characters feel when they get the double whammy of "not only is there a massive Imperial fleet out there but oh yeah, there's a fuckton of Sith too!". Jedi and Sith shit is ALWAYS a part of Star Wars. Even the casual viewer should always keep the idea that "oh yeah, some cool jedi and sith stuff is gonna happen" in the back of their minds when watching Star Wars.

I feel like it all very much echoed the ending to season 2 of Star Wars Rebels. Like, we knew there was Jedi and Sith stuff going on, but we didn't know it was gonna be all "massive sith temple with doomsday weapon". The whole thing really encapsulates the difference between the Jedi and the Sith conceptualizations of themselves and their philosophies in a visual way the viewers can really comprehend. The Jedi go into hiding, it's like retirement. The Sith go into hiding, it's to build a fucking doomsday device.

Palps himself being back was sorta meh, about as much so as when they did it in the original EU books. Yeah Palpsy is a big bad secret puppet master. But man, Ian McDiarmid fucking killed it.

Like Marvel, Star Wars is more than just "the movies". You're gonna miss stuff if you don't at least try to dip into the other media. The movies just don't have room to cover everything, and at this point the universe is just too big. Even with the Disney takeover trimming things down, stuff is happening outside the scope of the movies. And I mean shit, the series has been out for forty years, ya'll've had time to to get on board.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    A new hope was just Lucas going 5 years after Star Wars was released going "Oh shit I gave empire the main star wars title I need to add a sub title here." so it's likely no real meaning in that it just sounded good.

Hell VHS of the originals from mid 90s still considered the first movie to just be called Star Wars as it should be and forever will be /my one purist view.
    Yeah, I would suspect that as well. Lucas didn't even have all the relationships down by the end of episode 4, like Vader wasn't decided as Luke's dad until mid-way through shooting Empire. I doubt he has the "Chosen One" prophecy about bring balance to the force, etc., until sometime in the mid-90's. That's why when Lucas added 'Hope' to the title, it made sense as hope in the Rebel Alliance vs the Empire instead of Luke, Anakin, and Palpatine's personal struggles against each other.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Ragedaug;51996138]Yeah, I would suspect that as well. Lucas didn't even have all the relationships down by the end of episode 4, like Vader wasn't decided as Luke's dad until mid-way through shooting Empire. I doubt he has the "Chosen One" prophecy about bring balance to the force, etc., until sometime in the mid-90's. That's why when Lucas added 'Hope' to the title, it made sense as hope in the Rebel Alliance vs the Empire instead of Luke, Anakin, and Palpatine's personal struggles against each other.[/]

The 'properly' planned movies were the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I dunno, I kinda liked the left-field-ness of it. Like, foreshadowing for the sake of the viewer is annoying. I want to feel that same "OMG WTF I had no idea this was even a thing!" the characters feel when they get the double whammy of "not only is there a massive Imperial fleet out there but oh yeah, there's a fuckton of Sith too!". Jedi and Sith shit is ALWAYS a part of Star Wars. Even the casual viewer should always keep the idea that "oh yeah, some cool jedi and sith stuff is gonna happen" in the back of their minds when watching Star Wars.
    Just to add to this, foreshadowing is very difficult to do in series or delayed story telling where you have a dedicated / obsessed fan base. Any slight bit of foreshadowing + time = the fans will have figured out every 'surprise' twist you had in store for them. If the Sixth Sense came out in two parts, where the 2nd part was released 2 years later, we all would have figured out or heard that the dude was dead the whole time.

So anyway, some more leeway I provide to Abrams with this story telling in that, had he "built up" to some of the things we are complaining about, we would have all figured out the surprise he had in store well in advance.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

[QUOTE=PACOX;51996145]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Yeah, I would suspect that as well. Lucas didn't even have all the relationships down by the end of episode 4, like Vader wasn't decided as Luke's dad until mid-way through shooting Empire. I doubt he has the "Chosen One" prophecy about bring balance to the force, etc., until sometime in the mid-90's. That's why when Lucas added 'Hope' to the title, it made sense as hope in the Rebel Alliance vs the Empire instead of Luke, Anakin, and Palpatine's personal struggles against each other.[/]

The 'properly' planned movies were the prequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Just to add to this, foreshadowing is very difficult to do in series or delayed story telling where you have a dedicated / obsessed fan base. Any slight bit of foreshadowing + time = the fans will have figured out every 'surprise' twist you had in store for them. If the Sixth Sense came out in two parts, where the 2nd part was released 2 years later, we all would have figured out or heard that the dude was dead the whole time.

So anyway, some more leeway I provide to Abrams with this story telling in that, had he "built up" to some of the things we are complaining about, we would have all figured out the surprise he had in store well in advance.
    Depends on how well you do it. You can be extremely on the nose about it, or you can do it subtle. I'll admit that it is harder in film, since you can't just stuff any part of forshadowing in the back, or noone will see it and then say 'it came out of the blue', or, on the other hand, if you're to on the nose about it, people will catch on to quick.