Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Cold Steel 3 will release on PC on March 23, Durante's studio is developing port.

Also, he's managing Ys VIII now, today's patch fixed most of the crashes and added local co-op.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Doesn't seem like additional voice lines are coming...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Cold Steel 3 will release on PC on March 23, Durante's studio is developing port.

Also, he's managing Ys VIII now, today's patch fixed most of the crashes and added local co-op.
    Yessssssss I am super glad I waited to finally get Cold Steel 3 on the pc! and not in ps4! (I have all of them in pc).

Oh yeah the YS VIII patch is huge!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Doesn't seem like additional voice lines are coming...
    I am just glad it is coming for pc tbh! also will we have the turbo super fast mode just like we had in the previous pc versions? that will be fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I am just glad it is coming for pc tbh! also will we have the turbo super fast mode just like we had in the previous pc versions? that will be fantastic!
    It's in the ps4 version so I don't see why it wouldn't be in the pc version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    It's in the ps4 version so I don't see why it wouldn't be in the pc version.
    Yeah! But what I also meant the turbo power up mode (not sure how to explain it in English) but remember in Cold Steel 2 in steam there is a way to launch the game super duper fast in like 1 second or something like that? does the third game has that in pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yeah! But what I also meant the turbo power up mode (not sure how to explain it in English) but remember in Cold Steel 2 in steam there is a way to launch the game super duper fast in like 1 second or something like that? does the third game has that in pc?
    You mean the instant continue feature?

Durante said in the reddit AMA that it would have all of the same features as his previous Trails ports.

I bought these series and started with trails in the sky first chapter and just recently finished it and it is great.
    I also found the evolution patch for it which greatly improved the experience for me. that is japanese voice overs for dialogs and combat.
    I am planning to buy all 3 cold steel if they go for discount. great series for jrpg fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I bought these series and started with trails in the sky first chapter and just recently finished it and it is great.
    I also found the evolution patch for it which greatly improved the experience for me. that is japanese voice overs for dialogs and combat.
    I am planning to buy all 3 cold steel if they go for discount. great series for jrpg fans.
    Thoughts on FC? Favorite characters?

Thoughts on FC? Favorite characters?
    FC was great experience for me. finding the right orbs for spells took a bit time for me as I was like click next next next for the tutorial. Also I thought We would visit those towers as the story progresses but then I realized, no they are optional dungeons so better do them. I only forgot to the one bracers quests which was in the first city, looking for the cat request. Farming septh for orbs was tiring tho but yeah it is rpg.

As for favorite characters, estelle and joshua cannot be changed so, and estelle lacking in aoe sbreaks is kinda a down for me. So for technical reasons Joshua is the better one for me but just for character design, I say Estelle is the more original one between the two.

When I reached the end after trying all those characters across chapters, I made my team Zin, Oliver, Joshua and Estelle. We wrecked all those robots at the end. nice aoe dps and aoe heal across all chars. That is why I liked orb system actually. Anybody can use any spell with right combination. Not like ok this guy is a mage this guy is a priest etc. I liked that.

One thing I didnt like was the cooking. Screen goes black and prepare. I understand that but make it instant damn it. Oh and fishing, I couldnt become a member of fishers guild and go fishing. if it is possible.

Lastly, the story is everything for me. It hooked me up. It was nice to get suspicious of the characters you meet during your travels. But damn the last chapter, I didnt see that coming.

10/10 I suggest to anyone who likes jrps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope this is the right place. I saw Trials of Cold Steel 3 was coming out on Switch. I love JRPGs like Persona\Star Ocean Til the End of Time\Tales series etc. I have never played anything from this franchise. Is it a good fit? As weird as it sounds, i'm not the biggest fan of Fire Emblem so id hope it's closer to the other. I am looking to get a RPG for the switch because i have a lot of traveling to do this spring and this looks like it would fit the bill. I have not found a ton of videos for how the combat is, and what the balance between relationship sim\combat is, so i am completely ignorant of this series.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Hope this is the right place. I saw Trials of Cold Steel 3 was coming out on Switch. I love JRPGs like Persona\Star Ocean Til the End of Time\Tales series etc. I have never played anything from this franchise. Is it a good fit? As weird as it sounds, i'm not the biggest fan of Fire Emblem so id hope it's closer to the other. I am looking to get a RPG for the switch because i have a lot of traveling to do this spring and this looks like it would fit the bill. I have not found a ton of videos for how the combat is, and what the balance between relationship sim\combat is, so i am completely ignorant of this series.
    The Trails series is divided into "arcs". Each arc ties into the overarching plot, but is ultimately a self contained story with a beginning, middle, and end.

There are three arcs: 1. Liberl arc -> 2. Crossbell arc -> 3. Erebonian Empire arc.

• Erebonian Empire arc: Trails of Cold Steel -> 2 -> 3 -> 4

*You cannot legally buy Ao for PC. Well, there is a Chinese version you can buy, but it comes with malware. There is a safe version of Ao with the fan translation patch already applied out there on the internet, but for obvious reasons I can't link to it here.

Trails of Cold Steel 3 is the 3rd chapter (out of 4) of the Erebonian arc. You are dropping into the middle of a story.

CS3 does a good job explaining the important plot points that happened in other games. People who started the series with CS3 have stated that they enjoyed it.

I would personally recommend you start at CS1, as playing through the whole arc will make you emotionally invested in the characters. Sure, you can start with The Empire Strikes Back, but you won't be as invested in the story and characters than if you had started with A New Hope. However... there is no Switch port of CS1 and CS2, and at this point (due to licensing issues) it is unlikely to happen. If you don't have a platform that can play CS1 or CS2 (PC, Vita, PS3, or PS4), then go for CS3.

Trails games are very story heavy. They are notorious for having the largest scripts in video game history (excluding visual novels). A lot of the story is found outside of cutscenes in talking to NPCs. Trails' claim to fame is that their NPCs don't just stand around saying the same line of text everyday; they are fully fleshed out characters with their own character arcs, who have their dialogue updated after each major plot advancement. A lot of the story comes from going around and catching up with the NPC storylines. There is combat, but the main course is the story. It's about a 70-80% ratio of story to battles.

I would not recommend looking up the Trails series on Google or Youtube, as people have gotten themselves spoiled by entering a character's name into the search bar and Google autocompleting a spoiler for them, or Youtube recommending videos with spoilers in the title and thumbnail.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    The CS arc specifically is very much like Persona(only in a fantasy setting instead of a modern one) where you go from Story stuff happens -> you fight monsters -> you wrapped up that story bit for now and just spend time with your friends doing side quests and the games equivalent of social links/confidants and rinse repeat. The combat is conditional turn based, you can manipulate the turn order as each move has it's only delay effect that will change it. It's not much like Fire Emblem at all, just a 4 person party fighting some traditional JRPG enemies not a grid based tactical map.

Trails of Cold Steel III is out on PC!
    Steam - $60
    GOG - $60

Just like with the first two PC releases, if you buy now you get extra stuff like costumes for free.

Before you start a new game, be sure to go to the options menu and invert the horizontal camera axis and turn the voice volume down 5 notches.

do i want to be a nerd and buy this on pc too lol

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    do i want to be a nerd and buy this on pc too lol
    It's another amazing PC port from Durante (well, the first port by his new porting company, PH3). Lots of different options in the launcher, plus the turbo mode, auto save, and instant continue features that he implemented in the last two CS ports. Also, this being a CS game on Steam, you can mod it. Replace music, textures, rebalance mods, etc. Bison has no plans to create a mod rebalance for CS3 right now, but I heard Evil Gambio is working on one (personally CS3 is already hard enough on hard difficulty as is. A first playthrough on nightmare already seems... ludicrously difficult).

turbo mode, auto save, and instant continue features.
    These are in every version of the game.

The game is alright. It suffers from the same awkward and sometimes clunky translation as ToCS1/2 but it's not nearly as bad as in some other games (remember PICKLES?). Mechanics are solid, and it definitely is a step up from the others in terms of graphics as it's a PS4 port I believe rather than PSVita. Sadly this also means you can't import your ToCS2 saves like you could import your ToCS1 saves into that (at least I couldn't figure out how). The story is as expected, lots of callbacks, a gazillion characters, somewhat convoluted. But that's the series.

It's another amazing PC port from Durante (well, the first port by his new porting company, PH3). Lots of different options in the launcher, plus the turbo mode, auto save, and instant continue features that he implemented in the last two CS ports. Also, this being a CS game on Steam, you can mod it. Replace music, textures, rebalance mods, etc. Bison has no plans to create a mod rebalance for CS3 right now, but I heard Evil Gambio is working on one (personally CS3 is already hard enough on hard difficulty as is. A first playthrough on nightmare already seems... ludicrously difficult).
    The ps4 version has turbo mode too though. It's not a pc exclusive feature. The kai ports of the first 2 CS games are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The game is alright. It suffers from the same awkward and sometimes clunky translation as ToCS1/2 but it's not nearly as bad as in some other games (remember PICKLES?). Mechanics are solid, and it definitely is a step up from the others in terms of graphics as it's a PS4 port I believe rather than PSVita. Sadly this also means you can't import your ToCS2 saves like you could import your ToCS1 saves into that (at least I couldn't figure out how). The story is as expected, lots of callbacks, a gazillion characters, somewhat convoluted. But that's the series.
    What the hell is a clunky translation? First two were localised by xseed and they were near flawless. I came across some typos on CS3, but it could've been worse.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-03-26 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    What the hell is a clunky translation? First two were localised by xseed and they were near flawless. I came across some typos on CS3, but it could've been worse.
    Most of the typos have been patched out since launch as well.

XSeed did a great job localizing the franchise but that is literally all they did. They took forever and a day to get anything done and couldn't market worth a shit. NISA might be a slightly lower quality localization but they can get shit done in a timely manner and also grow the fan base with better marketing. Besides almost everyone who worked on trails localizations at XSeed is no longer employed by them so who knows if they could even do a good localization for it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Most of the typos have been patched out since launch as well.

XSeed did a great job localizing the franchise but that is literally all they did. They took forever and a day to get anything done and couldn't market worth a shit. NISA might be a slightly lower quality localization but they can get shit done in a timely manner and also grow the fan base with better marketing. Besides almost everyone who worked on trails localizations at XSeed is no longer employed by them so who knows if they could even do a good localization for it anymore.
    You say that, but when CS1 came out we already had confirmation for CS2.
    I hope you are right, but we still haven't heard anything about CS4 and it's now been what? 5 months since CS3 came out? Feels bad man.

Btw staff that worked on CS1 and 2 on xseed were brought in to help nisa with cs3.
    I am honestly not one of those people that are super strict with the localisation. CS3 was fine.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-03-26 at 03:54 AM.