View Poll Results: Do you hate the graphics of reforged?

Voters
507. This poll is closed
  • Love it!

199 39.25%
  • Hate it!

308 60.75%
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Interesting.

Sounds like people don't understand what "false advertisement" means.

I've got mixed feelings over the updated graphics. On one hand I think some new models look amazing, but on the other a few models changed too much. Overall I'm pleased though, save for a few units.

My biggest complaint is the animation seems to be locked at like 30 fps or something. My pc is getting 300+ fps, locked at 165 for refresh rate, but the animations themselves. Seem very slow and sluggish. Make the game feel weird and out of place.

No that isn't it. That is just the tip of the iceberg. That isn't even what people are talking about. Look at the WC3 website right now. Look at the dynamic cut scene with arthas jaina and uther and then the bullet point next to it. "4+ hours of reforged cut scenes". Normal people would assume that the quality of the example cut scene provided on the right would be what the 4+ hours of reforged cut scenes implies. Yet the cut scenes in reforged are just zoomed out with little to zero animation.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-01-30 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Abstaining from the vote, because that's not the point for me. If these had been the graphics as advertised from the start, the backlash would've been almost nonexistent. The problem is the Culling cinematic they showed off in 2018 gave everyone much higher expectations than Blizzard delivered. If these graphics levels were as intended from the start, their Marketing team flat out lied. If the graphics were slashed down later in development, and they chose not to tell their fans, then they lied by omission. Either way, there were some deceptive marketing tactics involved, and that is a major problem.
    "All of Time and Space. Everything that ever was or ever will be. Where do you want to start?"

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

No, I love most of them. Just the portraits are a joke.
    Changing the way characters look is not okay.

However, the icons are so good I have been replacing WoW's icons with them where applicable.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I think it's more than just that though too. Saying that they were looking at changing the story to fit more in line with WoW's retcons was not well received by the community.

What WAS well received by the community was how awesome the conversation between Uther, Arthas, and Jaina at the gates of Stratholme looked like it was going to be in the trailer and how they just... abandoned that style of cinematic update for some reason. They claimed they were going to "reforge" up to 4 hours of in game cutscenes similar to that style. It appeared that what they meant by this was that the cutscenes would no longer be doofy character models walking around with dialogue boxes floating around, but rather legit cinematic moments showing the emotion of each character in detail.
    But it was also rescripted cutscenes, so who knows how much of that ended up scrapped, and they had to (hastily?) recreate the original scenes. We can speculate that the outcry resulted in the downgrading of the game, but that won't get us anywhere anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Interesting.

No no.. y'all are missing the point entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0oDDGab1Y

THIS is why people are upset. The only cutscene we got that was "reforged" was the first one and look how terrible it is. You can see some comparison videos between the trailer showing off the conversation that Arthas has outside of Strat and what we actually got in game. It's terrible. They show this big emotional scene right in the faces of Arthas, Jaina, and Uther. You can visibly SEE Arthas get angry as he speaks with Uther who refuses his order.. then immediately after showing this off they pumped the, "PRE-ORDER NOW AVAILABLE!!!" That's why people are mad.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Interesting.

I remember when WoD came out people came onto the forums screaming false advertising and class action lawsuits because the collectors edition mount could fly and we couldn't initially fly in Draenor. I'd hoped people would've learned by now not to confuse their own desires and assumptions with what was "promised by Blizzard", but then again we wouldn't have the Ghostcrawler promised me a pony meme without them.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a no-win situation I guarantee you:

1. Don't change the story: Blizzard sucks because they lied.
    2. Retcon the story: Blizzard sucks because they changed the story.

It's just how it is. Some people think that Blizzard sucks--maybe they do, I dunno--and will take any opportunity to get some attention. I think that Blizzard's IP's are very stale and continuing to re-release old game as new is just a sign that the company is in a rut.

From what I've seen of the graphics, it looks OK.

I prefer they left the story as it was as I never thought that changing it was going to end well for anyone. Perhaps people are pissed that they can't go off on Christie Golden because they left the story alone. Frankly, most of the feedback on changing the story that I saw was negative. So again, they listened to that and left it alone because a lot of people wanted it that way.

It's disgusting, really.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-01-30 at 11:28 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

But it was also rescripted cutscenes, so who knows how much of that ended up scrapped, and they had to (hastily?) recreate the original scenes. We can speculate that the outcry resulted in the downgrading of the game, but that won't get us anywhere anyway.
    I mean there are certainly a number of things we can and should be mad at Blizzard for doing with this game though.

Bait and switch:
    I'm sure you've seen some of the videos showing off the comparison between the trailer scene with Stratholme and what we ended up getting. I've watched your YouTube videos for long enough to know that you're informed (appreciate the content btw). The way that the Stratholme trailer was shown off as being "the standard" RIGHT BEFORE announcing pre orders were available? That trailer is nowhere in game. They completely scrapped that approach.

Lack of planning/Being totally out of touch with the community:
    Blizzard as a gaming company should know what to expect from its audience, shouldn't it?
    https://www.polygon.com/blizzcon/201...ility-blizzcon

Read this article for further understanding if you haven't yet, but it even states that the idea to redo things in the game came from talking to the community. If that's the case, then why all of this backlash? It's probably because of being completely out of touch with the playerbase then. My interpretation on the line, "the communities in Europe and in China [who say], ‘Hey, we don’t think this game is done,'" had nothing to do with the scenes needing a reforge or an update, but rather that the game was not balanced optimally. It sounds like they may have just misinterpreted the feedback and went too far in trying to overhaul the story of the game instead of updating balance and making some tweaks to the story where there was a massive continuity error (such as entering Strat from the wrong side).

Lack of QA:

This game REEKS of rushed to me. The redone Arthas vs Illidan cutscene looks like something I could have done in my bedroom with some action figures when I was 8. It's embarrassingly bad. You're probably correct in saying that they had to scrap what they had and start over, but the Blizzard I KNEW would have just kept the game delayed until it was done. They would not have let it release in this way. They would rather have canceled it entirely than let something like this go live. Not only that, but they merged the two clients into one so even the older game has the same bugs and errors that the new one does.

I just think it's overall just bad. I was really excited for this game to come out. I'm just left disappointed by the end result that we got.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no middle ground of just "They look HD so there we go."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Wait, you guys are upset that Christie Golden DIDN'T get to mess around with lore?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's a no-win situation I guarantee you:

1. Don't change the story: Blizzard sucks because they lied.
    2. Retcon the story: Blizzard sucks because they changed the story.

It's just how it is. Some people think that Blizzard sucks--maybe they do, I dunno--and will take any opportunity to get some attention.

From what I've seen of the graphics, it looks OK. I prefer they left the story as it was as I never thought that changing it was going to end well for anyone. Perhaps people are pissed that they can't go off on Christie Golden because they left the story alone.

It's disgusting, really.
    Exactly. It's the whole "#NoChanges" thing all over again. You will guaranteed piss off Door #1 if you make changes to the original game, but you only might piss off Door #2 if you make no changes.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

3+ Year Old Account
    Yep, it just looks... Cluttery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Wait, you guys are upset that Christie Golden DIDN'T get to mess around with lore?
    Perhaps more upset that they can't go off on long rants about the changes she made. That's a popular sport.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    No... look... THIS comment from a YouTube video is most accurate imo.

"Back at Blizzcon 2018 I saw that remade intro cinematic and, of course, I assumed they would be remaking the other cinematics as well. Then I watched them present the rest of the game and saw that interesting new take on The Culling and how they planned to make this for a lot more levels. Then somewhere I heard about them re-doing the voice acting as well because they wanted to add more interaction between the characters, like for example between Arthas and Anasterian during the destruction of Silvermoon.

I had to find out on some obscure post on the forum a month after Blizzcon 2018 that they WEREN'T remaking the cinematics. Well, could've blatantly said that now, couldn't you, Blizzard? "It's just for the intro cinematic, people!" They didn't. No news for a year, and then during blizzcon 2019 they said they're not doing the campaign update. So no retelling of the story, no new interaction between characters and all that. AGAIN I had to specifically search for interviews and sift through forum posts for this. To this day, they still have that "4+ hours of reforged cutscenes" statement on the fucking website as well as the trailer that contains the god damn reforged version of The Culling."

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I mean there are certainly a number of things we can and should be mad at Blizzard for doing with this game though.

Bait and switch:
    I'm sure you've seen some of the videos showing off the comparison between the trailer scene with Stratholme and what we ended up getting. I've watched your YouTube videos for long enough to know that you're informed (appreciate the content btw). The way that the Stratholme trailer was shown off as being "the standard" RIGHT BEFORE announcing pre orders were available? That trailer is nowhere in game. They completely scrapped that approach.

Lack of planning/Being totally out of touch with the community:
    Blizzard as a gaming company should know what to expect from its audience, shouldn't it?
    https://www.polygon.com/blizzcon/201...ility-blizzcon

Read this article for further understanding if you haven't yet, but it even states that the idea to redo things in the game came from talking to the community. If that's the case, then why all of this backlash? It's probably because of being completely out of touch with the playerbase then. My interpretation on the line, "the communities in Europe and in China [who say], ‘Hey, we don’t think this game is done,'" had nothing to do with the scenes needing a reforge or an update, but rather that the game was not balanced optimally. It sounds like they may have just misinterpreted the feedback and went too far in trying to overhaul the story of the game instead of updating balance and making some tweaks to the story where there was a massive continuity error (such as entering Strat from the wrong side).

Lack of QA:

This game REEKS of rushed to me. The redone Arthas vs Illidan cutscene looks like something I could have done in my bedroom with some action figures when I was 8. It's embarrassingly bad. You're probably correct in saying that they had to scrap what they had and start over, but the Blizzard I KNEW would have just kept the game delayed until it was done. They would not have let it release in this way. They would rather have canceled it entirely than let something like this go live. Not only that, but they merged the two clients into one so even the older game has the same bugs and errors that the new one does.

I just think it's overall just bad. I was really excited for this game to come out. I'm just left disappointed by the end result that we got.
    What you call bait and switch I call seeing alpha material and being mad it's changed.

What you call being out of touch I call you using empty buzzwords to handwave what you don't like as bad.

As for Q&A, we all know every mmo-poster is a college graduate computer programmer who could do Blizzard's job with one hand tied behind their back from home.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The models are not the problem.

Just to note, it would have been unimaginable for a Blizzard game ever to fall so low on the Metacritic even few years ago. A reminder that the original game is 9.1.
    Yes, review bombing is stupid, but... there is always a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    You got what they said they would give a remaster .the video was shown and some mongoloids like you cried about it and they changed plans.
    Your projection is ridiculous, how more obvious it should be that a remake like that is exactly what I want and wanted.
    You even lack the basic logic to see that someone would not want it, if he was against it...
    Last edited by Easo; 2020-01-30 at 11:54 PM.