Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    Yeah, you just didn't read it to the end.
    We monitor our average monthly active users (“MAUs”) as a key measure of the overall size of our user base. MAUs are the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month. We calculate average MAUs in a period by adding the total number of MAUs in each of the months in a given period and dividing that total by the number of months in the period. An individual who accesses two of our games would be counted as two users. In addition, due to technical limitations, for Activision and King, an individual who accesses the same game on two platforms or devices in the relevant period would be counted as two users. For Blizzard, an individual who accesses the same game on two platforms or devices in the relevant period would generally be counted as a single user. In certain instances, we rely on third parties to publish our games. In these instances, MAU data is based on information provided to us by those third parties, or, if final data is not available, reasonable estimates of MAUs for these third-party published games.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2020-02-07 at 09:32 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Yeah, you just didn't read it to the end.
    I did read that, that means that someone who plays HS and WoW is counted as 2 MAU's, someone who plays Diablo, WoW and Overwatch = 3 MAU's.
    That doesn't conflict at all with their statement that in Q4 the WoW subscriptions were more than doubled compared with the Q2 sub number.

Their statement is really simple, in Q4 there were more than double the amount of subs compared to Q2. You should read the whole thing, and not only the MAU thing. Since there are 2 metrics in this report, MAU's (over all games, Activision and Blizzard) and Subscriptions which are WoW only. WoW subscriptions doubled over the course of 2 quarters, MAU's were 32 million in both quarters.

Since WoW subs more than doubled, that means that other Blizzard games lost MAU's, while Warcraft gained MAU's, its not that difficult.
    Last edited by chronia; 2020-02-07 at 10:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I want to know where the hell people are pulling these figures from, because besides a small mod which only a tiny percentage use, and a lot of speculation and guesswork, there is NO way to actually check, since Blizzard removed the capability to do so.

Yet here we are, people *still* raving about how popular it is, when they have no evidence to back it up beyond conjecture on both sides.
    Good Lord.
    The fact that most servers are high pop. Log into these high pop servers and they are packed.

I'm on one of the lower end high pop servers, and I'm amazed how many people are still playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't a *fact*, that is looking at one aspect, and then making sweeping conjecture.

For example, that is the equivalent of me seeing a tearoom business on one day packed out, and then declaring loudly "Oh, this must be a HUGE success!", and me not being there to see the other 6 days of the week it being empty of customers.

That isn't fact. Numbers, evidence, and data are facts. Speculation, anecdote, and assumption isn't.

If you want to be anecdotal, how about my server in EU? High population at start, now low population. NEarly every guild I joined has died, not enough people to raid, and only 2 raid guilds per faction able to field enough players on a regular basis to do MC, (Onyxia is usually 20manned). So, if I draw correlation from that like you are, that means Classic is a resounding failure, no?

Use figures and actual numbers, not bullshit.
    One day? Every single day high pop servers are packed. I play everyday and see it for myself.

If I went into that tearoom everyday and it was packed, I would think that is a success.

Most servers are high pop, sorry you made a bad choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't evidence.

That is conjecture.

You do not know if Blizzard have lowered the threshold for "high" from say 8k to 1k. You do not know the numbers because Blizzard removed the ability to do so. Stop trying to argue a point that you do not have, without actual data backing the claim, all you have is conjecture and assumption.

In other words, bullshit. You can argue it all you like, but that is all it boils down to, made up bullshit trying to masquerade as actual fact.
    Par the course for these forums, sadly.
    I see plenty of people playing, and I am on the lower end high pop server. I know what a 10k pop server looks like from my private server days.

Look at classic logs, loads of logs uploaded each week.

Sorry you're massively butt hurt over something.

And yes, it's actual evidence that loads of people are still playing.

I'm also not arguing with you, I stated some facts about how busy most servers are. I know you are trying to argue. You should get out more if you get this mad over things that shouldn't bother you in the slightest. You are amusing though.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2020-02-07 at 10:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    NOT EVIDENCE., if anything, it is 3rd party conjecture, nothing more, nothing less.
    Log are also not the best evidence for guessing a certain population size. Mods like that are used mainly by hardcore players, and if it is only hardcore players left on the server, then you cannot assume more are playing. For example, 90% of hardcore players use said addon and upload, and the server is only hardcore players left, then you cannot then claim that it is a small representation and more are playing, because they aren't.
    Without actual numbers, anything is conjecture and bullshit. At least some here are admitting it, you're just saying "I log on and see people, thus it is a RAGING SUCCESS!"

I logged into Rift Prime regularly and would see lots of people playing, does that mean *that* was a success? By your logic, yes, a resounding one.

Jesus wept, your answers are getting dumber by the post. Please, use actual data, before making sweeping assumptions, because you even are destroying your own argument.

I am not "butthurt", I get to log on, have fun with guildies, do what I ant (including raiding), and enjoy myself immensely, I am just realistic about the actual game, and couldn't care less about the population. But I am not one of these moronic "IT HAS TO BE POPULAR AND AMAZING!" idiots that need validation for every decision they make.
    Playing the game everyday, seeing loads of people playing everyday, is indeed evidence that loads are still playing. I'm on the lower end of high pop servers, so that means there are even busier realms.

You certainly are butt hurt over something. Wake up on the wrong side of bed?

I've never once said raging success, it's certainly been a success though. At blizzcon they said millions returned to play. Ofc most of them have probably quit by now.

The population is certainly still extremely healthy.

How many servers does Rift Prime have? I bet its one, or two and can't hold 10k people. It is probably a success for what they intended though.

I've never claimed x number are still playing, I've only claimed loads are still playing and they are. If I had to guess, I'd say 500k are paying a sub to play Classic.

You get more butt hurt with each post. Please keep entertaining me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, try and write a dissertation or paper utilising the same anecodtal horseshit you're using now, and watch it get torn to ribbons during peer review.
    Fuck me you are hilarious.

I want to know where the hell people are pulling these figures from, because besides a small mod which only a tiny percentage use, and a lot of speculation and guesswork, there is NO way to actually check, since Blizzard removed the capability to do so.

Yet here we are, people *still* raving about how popular it is, when they have no evidence to back it up beyond conjecture on both sides.
    Good Lord.

This document gives some insights, although no hard numbers, page 4,5,7 and 9 all comment on WoW and WoW Classic

https://investor.activision.com/stat...a-a8005b3e143c

Main take aways:

1. Blizzard calls Classic a succes.
    2. WoW subs more than doubled between the end of Q2 and the end of Q4, while both Q3 and Q4 had no content releases for Retail.
    Last edited by chronia; 2020-02-07 at 12:09 PM.

The only reason I am "butthurt" is because you keep spouting bullshit as if it is some kind of truth.

It isn't. Your personal opinion and utter disregard for anything even closely coming to realistic evidence is so utterly asinine as to beggar disbelief.
    You're spouting personal opinion and anecdote, masquerading it as actual cogent evidence, and then being defensive when someone calls you up on it.
    Please, try and write a dissertation or paper utilising the same anecodtal horseshit you're using now, and watch it get torn to ribbons during peer review.

And now we reach the moron forum poster endgame of "Oh, now I shall pretend this was fun all along and my plan to draw you into an argument, and how entertaining it is!" nonsense. Carry on, you're fulfilling every trope it is unreal.
    Sir pls take a chill pill. Some people say classic is a failure and some claim its a success. Unless we're getting confirmation (in numbers) from blizzard neither side is right or wrong. As you said it comes down to personal experiences. No need to bring your scientific 'knowledge' into this forum. We aren't competing for nobel prizes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Domixux View Post
    Some people say classic is a failure and some claim its a success. Unless we're getting confirmation (in numbers) from blizzard neither side is right or wrong.
    See my post above yours, you can see Blizzards confirmation in https://investor.activision.com/stat...a-a8005b3e143c

I don't think Howlrunner is saying you're wrong, I think he's merely saying people are grasping at imaginary numbers and that 3rd party sources aren't accurate.
    Which is true.

Is Classic a succes, probably.
    If there any real, solid evidence that is not uploaded logs, forum posts or server population terms? I don't think so.

They can put the limit on a server on whatever they want, if a server has a 1k player limit and there 750 people on it, that'll be a high pop realm.
    I'm not saying it is like that, and neither is Howlrunner, but it's hard to be conclusive when there's no actual data.

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    See my post above yours, you can see Blizzards confirmation in https://investor.activision.com/stat...a-a8005b3e143c
    This if for an investor call it's just natural they highlight positive results. Of course classic wow attracted a lot of players in Q3/Q4, nobody is denying that. Blizzard the same company which said 'You think you do, but you don't' now tries to use this success for marketing. But still from this presentation you wont get any valid information of how many players already left classic. Maybe the 2020 Q1 results will look different, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgods View Post
    I don't think Howlrunner is saying you're wrong, I think he's merely saying people are grasping at imaginary numbers and that 3rd party sources aren't accurate.
    Which is true.

Is Classic a succes, probably.
    If there any real, solid evidence that is not uploaded logs, forum posts or server population terms? I don't think so.

They can put the limit on a server on whatever they want, if a server has a 1k player limit and there 750 people on it, that'll be a high pop realm.
    I'm not saying it is like that, and neither is Howlrunner, but it's hard to be conclusive when there's no actual data.
    His point would be only valid if Blizzard hadn't flat out told us that a full server in vanilla would only be a medium one now and server limits are much larger than they used to be. Howl is insinuating that Blizzard has been reducing the server limits to make them keep appearing as high/full as the game is emptying, or that's how I read it. While also passing out eyewitness testimony as "not evidence." Guess all those trials that went through on eyewitness testimony have to be thrown out.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

3+ Year Old Account
    So it applies to WoW Classic having more subs/active players than BfA/Retail WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makemesweat View Post
    Yes and no. The "original" gaming community is growing older, and has been longing to return to the nostalgic feelings of the past. This is relevant in many different industries. Look at Disney re-creating all their original movies. Look at how manufacturing left the US in the 90s, and now everyone is craving that good old "Made In America" sticker. People don't mind reminiscing on the past when it involves good memories.
    Are you speaking on my behalf? I dont long for the nostalgia.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Infact the classic wow servers are even worse than the vanilla servers we had 15years ago.
    The fact that you say this proves you never played retail vanilla.

Retail vanilla servers would be laggy/crashy as fuck every day around primetime. Remember that one video about the Paladin who switched to Shaman, and how he would "disconnect from the lag in ironforge" ? That wasn't an exaggeration, that shit actually happened. When the servers were at or even near playercap, they lagged so badly that you'd get disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by Domixux View Post
    This if for an investor call it's just natural they highlight positive results. Of course classic wow attracted a lot of players in Q3/Q4, nobody is denying that. Blizzard the same company which said 'You think you do, but you don't' now tries to use this success for marketing. But still from this presentation you wont get any valid information of how many players already left classic. Maybe the 2020 Q1 results will look different, who knows.
    The main point is that they legally cannot lie towards investors, they will ofcourse highlight the positives, but if they say that subs more than doubled this has to be true. If they say that Classic is a succes then according to their metrics this has to be true. Else they open themselves up to huge liabilities should the stock crater and investors turn to legal procedures to recoup their losses.

So actually this information being in a investor briefing is quite valuable.

Also whatever happens to Classic in the future won't change the fact that its a succes now or was a succes during launch. Something thats a succes today can fail in a month or a year. The number of ppl that may or may not quit, return or keep playing.

So was Classic a succes at launch, it sure looks like it, is it still succesful to this day? Sure look thats way, will it still be succesful in a year? Who knows, i hope it will be, as that would be good for WoW overall, but who knows, i don't at this point. but even if its not a succes anymore a year from now, that doesn't change the fact of how succesful it was regarded at launch or half a year in.

I also don't see the numbers of players leaving as the sole indicator fot its succes or not. It was known from the start that WoW Classic would have a player dropoff, so thats no surprise to anyone. I really don't know why players focus so much on what other players are or arent doing. A game like WoW classic doesn't need 2-3-4 million players to be a succes.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    The fact that you say this proves you never played retail vanilla.

Retail vanilla servers would be laggy/crashy as fuck every day around primetime. Remember that one video about the Paladin who switched to Shaman, and how he would "disconnect from the lag in ironforge" ? That wasn't an exaggeration, that shit actually happened. When the servers were at or even near playercap, they lagged so badly that you'd get disconnected.
    Don't forget the 1-2 hr "minigame" of waiting in line just to log in or get back in .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    Don't forget the 1-2 hr "minigame" of waiting in line just to log in or get back in .
    Or maintenance days, that could last for a day. It was not uncommon for guilds to choose not to raid on reset day (at least in my exp).

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Or maintenance days, that could last for a day. It was not uncommon for guilds to choose not to raid on reset day (at least in my exp).
    Even as a classic fan, that dude clearly never played vanilla.

It used to be a thing to skip raiding on patch day or the day after because it would be a technical impossibility.