10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    While Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases didn't use the words nothing burger, he did say something quite similar.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/top-disease-o...222852299.html
    Dr. Fauci also said that he expects China is overestimating the death rates of the virus due to not counting asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic. He's guessing the true rate is closer to 1% than 2%, if not less. Interesting to have a professional say China is telling the world it's deadlier than it actually is, when most of the "experts" online are saying China is under-reporting the numbers.

Dr. Fauci wants a new iphone/PS5/Xbox this Christmas badly.
    He is telling Chinese to go back to work.

Seriously, the death in Wuhan is real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3
    Dr. Fauci wants a new iphone/PS5/Xbox this Christmas badly.
    He is telling Chinese to go back to work.
    At least wash things when you're just pulling them out of your ass. By the way, what country did you say you're in?

Quote Originally Posted by IsmaelCraig52
    Maybe the virus is made up
    I don't know of anyone seriously claiming that, it would take multiple countries being in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll
    He's guessing the true rate is closer to 1% than 2%, if not less. Interesting to have a professional say China is telling the world it's deadlier than it actually is, when most of the "experts" online are saying China is under-reporting the numbers.
    As far as I know, the problem is what people are looking at. For epidemiology, they want clear, confirmed cases. For treatment and prevention, "if it quacks like a duck" is probably close enough. People are throwing around different measurements for whatever suits their purpose and that adds to the confusion in the long run.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-02-18 at 02:51 PM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I don't know of anyone seriously claiming that, it would take multiple countries being in on it.
    He was just spamming posts to advertise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd
    He was just spamming posts to advertise.
    They usually spam to 10 quicker. This is an account from last year so my bet was on it being one of our sock puppeteers.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

At least wash things when you're just pulling them out of your ass. By the way, what country did you say you're in?

As far as I know, the problem is what people are looking at. For epidemiology, they want clear, confirmed cases. For treatment and prevention, "if it quacks like a duck" is probably close enough. People are throwing around different measurements for whatever suits their purpose and that adds to the confusion in the long run.
    I forgot the part of China, i'll have to look. That area is PAYING people to report if they are sick. I'm sure you have people that are not reporting symptoms due to fear etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Dr. Fauci also said that he expects China is overestimating the death rates of the virus due to not counting asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic. He's guessing the true rate is closer to 1% than 2%, if not less. Interesting to have a professional say China is telling the world it's deadlier than it actually is, when most of the "experts" online are saying China is under-reporting the numbers.
    During a mass pandemic, you can never get the true % numbers. China has been trying to be on the ball lately with the wechat health app and sending out updated numbers almost daily. Beijing has been pretty good. We have 387 cases, 122 recovered and only 4 deaths. My district has 14 cases. Mentougo, which is a huge district on the west edge of beijing, has only 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently, globally: 74,279 confirmed and 14,387 recovered! That is pretty good!

- - - Updated - - -

One thing you probably don't see in other countries, is that in Beijing, they have 1-2 police guards on the metro/buses. Now most buses scan your temp before you get on. You're not allowed to take off your mask, if you do and they see you, they tell you to keep it on.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Muajin76 I've said for years that many people see China as the Borg, where actually it is more like trying to herd cats. An American will stop at a stop sign in the middle of a cornfield at 0300, while Chinese will drive the wrong way on a street because it is a shortcut and "the mountains are high, and the Emperor is far away" is ingrained in the culture.

Exhibit A:
    Some people in China are going to great lengths to get around the government's strict rules on travel during the coronavirus outbreak.

Shanghai police released a video last week showing how a woman hid in the trunk of a car to try and sneak into the city. Shine News and other outlets obtained the video.

The woman had recently visited her hometown in Hubei Province, the center of the outbreak, for Chinese New Year and was returning to Shanghai, where she works.
    Source: https://news.yahoo.com/police-filmed...174305568.html

/facepalm

In the meantime, in Russia it seems people are simply breaking out of quarantine:
    “Wild,” Ilyina wrote. “All three tests showed I was completely healthy, so why the hell the quarantine?”

Her isolation room was dire, she told the Fontanka newspaper — no books, no shampoo, no Wi-Fi a wastebasket that was never emptied, the door secured by an electronic lock.

Frustrated, she figured out how to short-circuit the electronic lock and escaped from the hospital on Friday.
    Source: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...itals-68933917

@Muajin76while Chinese will drive the wrong way on a street because it is a shortcut and "the mountains are high, and the Emperor is far away" is ingrained in the culture.
    That explains why driving in Vancouver, British Columbia is so crazy compared to just south in Seattle...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've grown to like Chinese driving more than American. It's taught me that Americans don't know how to take a lane or merge whatsoever. In America: You're the boss of the road, and no one else knows how to drive. In China: No one is the boss of the road, and your life is in your own hands.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2020-02-19 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll
    In China: No one is the boss of the road
    Except in Beijing, where one must read the license plates to sort out the hierarchy of military, police, and diplomatic plates while paying attention to overloaded trucks and SUVs driven by the wealthy. The only certainty is that if you ain't on that list, *you* are not the boss! Otherwise, "your life is in your own hands". Good comparison though.

Except in Beijing, where one must read the license plates to sort out the hierarchy of military, police, and diplomatic plates while paying attention to overloaded trucks and SUVs driven by the wealthy. The only certainty is that if you ain't on that list, *you* are not the boss! Otherwise, "your life is in your own hands". Good comparison though.
    I like how drivers with higher status license plates are almost immune to drive rules etc. Did you see awhile back that person that parked some high expensive car near a ER entrance er something? I think they said it was a rich person. Police didn't tow it in fear of making the driver angry for breaking the law then end up losing their job. :P

Republicans are already spreading another Conspiracy Theory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...us-conspiracy/
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-02-19 at 09:51 AM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Muajin76 It has gotten better over the years, counterfeit license plates used to be a booming business. Now, both the anti corruption campaign and social media have made it harder to avoid problems after you do something like posting pictures of your SUV parked in the Forbidden City.

Edit: @szechuan Do you have a summary for that? Blocked here.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-02-19 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    The West does things plenty as cruelly. Have you seen meat factories? How about how they put male chicks in a grinder to dispose of them easier?

There is a case for sanitary preparation being very weak in China, but it's not like people here are going around torturing an animal before they kill it just for fun. You'll more likely find large meat factories anywhere in the world doing that rather than small time butchers who need to sell what they have to get by.
    Yes, and a lot of them are heavily regulated. Have you seen these meat grinders? It's a heavy industrial tool. They die instantly, that's how they work. It's not like you're putting a chick into a common kitchen blender. It's still hell of a lot better than being boiled and skinned alive, or slowly getting beaten to death, or having a blowtorch applied while still alive, etc. If you are caught doing these things, you can get prosecuted here - food animal or otherwise. Considering China's lack of animal cruelty laws, it is same to assume their animal welfare standards (even for food animals) are significantly higher. But then again - not all countries in the West are the same. US for example has lax animal cruelty laws compared to say, UK and Sweden.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    NA/ Europe is not that much different from Asia when it comes to farming meat for a food source. There might be some slight differences but it's equally as fucked up as the next,

People like to bash on eating dogs/cats but if the animal is not a pet for someone then I personally do not see the difference between eating a dog and eating a chicken. A farm animal is a farm animal and a pet is a pet. A dog with no owner is worth as a much as a farm chicken or a pig.
    You're kidding, right?

Some European countries have the best animal welfare regulations in the world. Even Switzerland prohibited the boiling of live lobsters a while ago. There is no way a first world country with tight animal cruelty laws is going to be the same as places where there are none.

And as I mentioned - this is not about eating the animal, it's about how you treat them and slaughter them beforehand. I don't doubt there are some slaugtherhouses here that treat their animals like shit, but I don't see any of them deliberately going out of the way to slowly torture something to death because of archaic beliefs.
    Last edited by Fargus; 2020-02-19 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Y
    And as I mentioned - this is not about eating the animal, it's about how you treat them and slaughter them beforehand. I don't doubt there are some slaugtherhouses here that treat their animals like shit, but I don't see any of them deliberately going out of the way to slowly torture something to death because of archaic beliefs.
    You're getting away from the point. I was focusing on the concept of eating animals, not how they are treated prior to death.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think animal cruelty isn't happening in slaughterhouses in every continent in the world. You can make laws against it but who's going to speak up when the law gets broken? The animal ? lol
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if this was posted yet but it looks like kim jong un is clamping down on the wuhan virus.
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/13/north-...us-quarantine/
    i know its the new york post but is the only one i could find besides the sun.
    also another pending case of coronavirus was reported in madison awaiting results.
    https://www.channel3000.com/health-o...r-coronavirus/
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

@szechuan Do you have a summary for that? Blocked here.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Beijing is doing pretty good. Hasn't even reached 400 confirmed yet.
    Community guards/volunteers are still quite strict *my friend in chaoyang needs some card from her apt company before she can come/go from her apt* she showed her passport and worker card, they still refused to let her out/in.
    My guards are pretty cool. I just get the temp scan. I had to register my info/get the card for my community but even that was done with almost no hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    @szechuan Nope, imgur is blocked too. All I can tell from the link is that Tom Cotton has said something, and that's kinda like knowing Trump made an angry tweet. @breadisfunny I know, I'm odd man out here, but maybe you guys could be old fashioned and simply quote key points?

Luckily I did see the article on the Korean execution a few days ago on CNN. News out of Korea on the virus seems scant, but my worry would be the black market could lead to transmission between North and South Korea or China. Since those would be people involved in the black market anyway, I wouldn't bet on them following quarantine procedures if they got a cough and a bit of fever, which could then lead to multiple contacts that might cause the virus to really take off.

That's my "good" scenario, the bad one is that North Korea uses one of their tunnels and herds a bunch of infected hosts into South Korea. I don't see a guy hell bent on having nukes as a bargaining chip passing up the gift of a biological agent, even though I don't subscribe to the theory the virus was developed as such. Neither was the Black Death, but it has been used as such: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/8/9/01-0536_article and possibly even a modern day attempt http://www.darkbiology.com/plague.htm

On the possible new virus case in your state, Breadisfunny ... good luck.

Sucks you cant use FB video or voice call anymore. The whole censorship thing here is getting more annoying. The economy isn't doing so great, schools don't have the funds to hire ELTs. It will be a bit to recover after the CV situation finally gets better.