Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Luke was a whiny brat who got over the death of his aunt and uncle (who raised him) with barely a shrug but got really sad when the old man he knew for a few days died. He learned to use space magic because that old man told him he could, infiltrated the Empire's secret weapon/most heavily defended base pretty much on a whim to rescue a high-ranking prisoner and was an ace combat pilot because his poor-as-dirt ass could somehow afford a personal aircraft with the same control systems. Personally I struggle to relate.
    Thankfully he appears in more than one movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    You are right. The positive part of this is what I said has nothing to do with that.
    Painting a doomsday portrait, or lamenting something that Disney has been doing since long before you were born... seems absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Thankfully he appears in more than one movie.
    And he was still whiny in Empire, and gave flat deliveries in Jedi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Luke's training in a nutshell.

A couple hours flying to Alderann
    A couple days with Yoda.
    Go rewatch the movies. They explain between 4 & 5, and between 5 & 6 how many years have passed. Luke was with Yoda for a few years.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    You people? Hmmm.. Interesting..
    Yes you people.

I could have said:

Literally nothing you incels, Proud Boys, Trump supporters, racists, xenophobes, snowflake hypocrites, or low IQ mouthbreathers.....

But I wanted a catch all term so I wouldn't have type out those choices. Now, I know you're going to be upset, as a Trump supporter, to be lumped in with all those other people, but before you go needing a safe space, it is a fact, that all those types of people I listed feel the same way about this issue as you.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-02-26 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And he was still whiny in Empire, and gave flat deliveries in Jedi.
    Whiny isn't necessarily boring. What he endured in ESB for example has far greater depth and emotion than what Rey went through in all three movies.

Far as "boredom" goes, comparing the two is a stretch. If Luke was similar then his character progression would never has been that deep and impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Captain Marvel was a tad boring for me, tho I found most of the Thor movies boring too (except Ragnarok which was genius), found the first Captain America movie cringey and didn't like any of the Iron Man movies after the first one, plus I think most of the backlash was because of the shit Brie Larson was saying in interviews not because of what was happening in the movie.

I loved Black Panther and I think Fury Road was an absolute masterpiece.

Still, every time I criticize stuff like the Ghostbusters reboot (it just wasn't funny), Disney SW there will be someone calling me sexist. It's like I am almost not allowed to not like and criticize movies if they are female centric, it doesn't matter that the reason I dislike the movie for has nothing to do with women. I'm not one of those anti SJW/anti-woke loons, but having to constantly defend that can get exhausting.

I haven't been called out in this specific thread, but holy shit it has happened many times.

And yes, Disney SW after Force Awakens had potential...but it was lit on fire and wasted completely by Rian Johnson and after that it just become a dumpster fire in damage control.
    That's the problem with the internet at large, everyone (by which I mean a sizable minority who manage to dominate discussions) argues from entrenched positions. Arsehole group 1 had already decided (for example) Ghostbusters was going to be bad because women, so arsehole group 2 decides all criticisms are coming from the same place. Similarly you're not allowed to like "woke" characters or films without being branded a SJW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    And yes, Disney SW after Force Awakens had potential...but it was lit on fire and wasted completely by Rian Johnson and after that it just become a dumpster fire in damage control.
    Truest statement made in this thread.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Whiny isn't necessarily boring. What he endured in ESB for example has far greater depth and emotion than what Rey went through in all three movies.

Far as "boredom" goes, comparing the two is a stretch. If Luke was similar then his character progression would never has been that deep and impactful.
    Great, maybe some people didn't think Rey was boring. I happen to think both she and Luke were boring as shit.

Problem solved.

Great, maybe some people didn't think Rey was boring. I happen to think both she and Luke were boring as shit.

Problem solved.
    Agree to disagree then! But from a narrative and story perspective, Luke's journey was the far more interesting one.

That's still more personality than robotic Rey... considering she didn't struggle all that much.

Oops, my bad. I was confusing that with "Heroes Collide", still, my point stands. You call Anakin boring, but he has one of the best fight scenes in SW under his belt. Rey doesn't even come close there.
    The best fight scene in Star Wars is Rey and Ren taking on Snoke's elite guard in The Last Jedi, what has Anakin got other than a CGI theme park ride through lava-world?

Agree to disagree then! But from a narrative and story perspective, Luke's journey was the far more interesting one.
    Nah, it really wasn't.

Their story was basically the same. There are so many absurd plot holes when it comes to Luke unknowingly living in secret in one of the most obvious places for Darth Vader to look.

- - - Updated - - -

That's still more personality than robotic Rey... considering she didn't struggle all that much.

Oops, my bad. I was confusing that with "Heroes Collide", still, my point stands. You call Anakin boring, but he has one of the best fight scenes in SW under his belt. Rey doesn't even come close there.
    The three most iconic fight scenes in all of SW, are Duel of Fates, when Yoda drew a lightsaber and kicked ass, and probably Obi-Wan versus Darth Vader on the Death Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The best fight scene in Star Wars is Rey and Ren taking on Snoke's elite guard in The Last Jedi, what has Anakin got other than a CGI theme park ride through lava-world?
    That red power rangers fight? Haha! The choreography there was absolutely horrible XD

Darth Maul vs Obi Wan, Yoda vs Palpatine, etc ... were a lot more engrossing. Even Luke's two fights against Vader had more soul to it. I'd even say Anakin's duel with Dooku had more feeling to it, especially with how it finished.

- - - Updated - - -

The three most iconic fight scenes in all of SW, are Duel of Fates, when Yoda drew a lightsaber and kicked ass, and probably Obi-Wan versus Darth Vader on the Death Star.
    Most iconic one for me would be ROTJ where Luke rages and fells Vader... along with the music that came with it. How people would place that below the power rangers fight in TLJ is just insulting lol

That red power rangers fight? Haha! The choreography there was absolutely horrible XD

Darth Maul vs Obi Wan, Yoda vs Palpatine, etc ... were a lot more engrossing. Even Luke's two fights against Vader had more soul to it. I'd even say Anakin's duel with Dooku had more feeling to it, especially with how it finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Most iconic one for me would be ROTJ where Luke rages and fells Vader... along with the music that came with it. How people would place that below the power rangers fight in TLJ is just insulting lol
    I mean, that was fourth for me... but mainly because of Vader tossing the Emperor overboard.

Their story was basically the same.
    LOL! Not really. I posted a video a page ago that analyses the differences quite sufficiently.

LOL! Not really. I posted a video a page ago that analyses the differences quite sufficiently.
    Random orphan child on a desert planet with a droid companion, trying to find out about his/her parents, all while escaping the clutches of the Empire. The search (and subsequent reveal) of who the parents are, and how to cope, is the major focal point of the entire trilogy.

Random orphan child on a desert planet with a droid companion, trying to find out about his/her parents, all while escaping the clutches of the Empire. The search (and subsequent reveal) of who the parents are, and how to cope, is the major focal point of the entire trilogy.
    But Luke's father was the main villain and Reys father was...........

Luke's story was never on a quest to find out who his parents were... you will remember that Obi-Wan told him that his father was killed by Darth Vader. The fact that the huge reveal with Vader fed into the final film is also relevant here, because your "how to cope" line was completely abandoned in ROS whereas Luke fought to bring back his father from the dark and into the light in ROTJ. That is completely different to Rey's arc, are you sure you're watching the right films here?

Luke's story was never on a quest to find out who his parents were... you will remember that Obi-Wan told him that his father was killed by Darth Vader. The fact that the huge reveal with Vader fed into the final film is also relevant here, because your "how to cope" line was completely abandoned in ROS whereas Luke fought to bring back his father from the dark and into the light in ROTJ. That is completely different to Rey's arc, are you sure you're watching the right films here?
    Oh, I'm watching them just fine.

The similarities are breathtaking.

Oh, I'm watching them just fine.

The similarities are breathtaking.
    Which movie was it where Rey brings back her father from the dark side after getting their hand chopped off by them? Or deliberately allowing the bad guys to capture them because of the faint hope that daddy can find redemption?

Okay if people are brining out CGI Yoda flipping about throwing bits of a theatre at Palpatine or Obi-wan using a lightsabre like a pensioner struggling with a TV remote as examples of good lightsabre duels then I'm out.