Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Which movie was it where Rey brings back her father from the dark side after getting their hand chopped off by them? Or deliberately allowing the bad guys to capture them because of the faint hope that daddy can find redemption?
    So... the last 15 minutes of the final trilogy? Wow...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Okay if people are brining out CGI Yoda flipping about throwing bits of a theatre at Palpatine or Obi-wan using a lightsabre like a pensioner struggling with a TV remote as examples of good lightsabre duels then I'm out.
    I think it's not about great choreography, but how iconic it was.

When Yoda first draws his lightsaber against Dooku, the theater fucking erupted on opening night.

Okay if people are brining out CGI Yoda flipping about throwing bits of a theatre at Palpatine or Obi-wan using a lightsabre like a pensioner struggling with a TV remote as examples of good lightsabre duels then I'm out.
    Yes. They were better than Power Rangers. That's not saying much though.

It's not just about how good it looks; it's about how it meshes into the story of the characters, what kind of impact it brings. An overpowering Rey taking out elite guards (who had so many chances to kill her) turned out to be shallow, soulless; empty. A five minute slow fight between Obi-Wan and Vader had much more meaning to it. More soul. I guess you could say the same thing about Yoda CGI and all those little flips... but don't pretend that the Snoke elite guard fight was some kind of higher bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Truest statement made in this thread.
    I for the life of me cannot understand how Disney green-lit that script or how it went along with releasing it after pre-screening. It's almost like nobody who works at Disney watches movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I think it's not about great choreography, but how iconic it was.

When Yoda first draws his lightsaber against Dooku, the theater fucking erupted on opening night.
    I'm sure the kids loved it, but any sense of gravitas was robbed from Yoda the moment he started bouncing. Besides the Ren+Rey fight was a showcase of how great they would work as a team with both fighters thinking they were winning the other over to their way of thinking only to be disappointed. I know haters are going to hate regardless but that scene absolutely shone for me and it's a shame it was buried in such an otherwise shit movie, a bit like the few awesome Batfleck scenes in Dawn of Justice.

I'm sure the kids loved it, but any sense of gravitas was robbed from Yoda the moment he started bouncing. Besides the Ren+Rey fight was a showcase of how great they would work as a team with both fighters thinking they were winning the other over to their way of thinking only to be disappointed. I know haters are going to hate regardless but that scene absolutely shone for me and it's a shame it was buried in such an otherwise shit movie, a bit like the few awesome Batfleck scenes in Dawn of Justice.
    I actually like Ren and Rey. I think they both did well with very terrible scripts. I've simply come to accept that the Star Wars franchise as a whole really wasn't that great. I think it had some great actors who carried the movies. But, when it comes to story... it's clear they are lacking when it comes to originality.

I wish they were all like Rogue One.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I for the life of me cannot understand how Disney green-lit that script or how it went along with releasing it after pre-screening. It's almost like nobody who works at Disney watches movies.
    I don't know either. I guess Johnson is a helluva salesman/pitch giver.

I mean, yes, the last movie wasn't; good either, but I honestly feel like it would have been better overall if JJ had just done all 3.

Rian is a good filmmaker, but it is straight batshit to trash the whole story thus far simply because you're tired of the Skywalker characters. Go make your trilogy and tell a completely different story in the SWU, I'm totally down, take my money......but to just go, "fuck it I hate this whole story of the Skywalkers & Palapatines and how its all related, so I'm going to throw huge monkey wrenches into it for movie # 8 of the as 9 part saga".....is borderline criminal in ego stroking.

I realize I'm likely in the minority because:

Empire > Force Awakens = Rogue One > Solo > Original > Return fo the Jedi > 1,2,3,9 > 8
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2020-02-26 at 02:18 PM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Yes. They were better than Power Rangers. That's not saying much though.
    Not that much of an insult from someone praising an old, confused-looking man waving a glow stick around!

It's not just about how good it looks; it's about how it meshes into the story of the characters, what kind of impact it brings. An overpowering Rey taking out elite guards (who had so many chances to kill her) turned out to be shallow, soulless; empty. A five minute slow fight between Obi-Wan and Vader had much more meaning to it. More soul. I guess you could say the same thing about Yoda CGI and all those little flips... but don't pretend that the Snoke elite guard fight was some kind of higher bar.
    Have you even seen the part I'm talking about? Most of the fighting is done by Ren who kills most of the guard, sometimes taking on three at a time, while Rey struggles to dispatch a few. Also in a time when most action scenes are jump-cut CGI jumbles the long-shots and coherent choreography make it a god-damned masterpiece. The fact that you have to use vague terms like soul and shallow shows your criticisms are coming from a general feeling about the movies than judging the sequence on its merits.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually like Ren and Rey. I think they both did well with very terrible scripts. I've simply come to accept that the Star Wars franchise as a whole really wasn't that great. I think it had some great actors who carried the movies. But, when it comes to story... it's clear they are lacking when it comes to originality.

I wish they were all like Rogue One.
    It's not that great at all, but it's historically significant and iconic with memorable parts. Story-wise though it seems to be a sequence of awesome moments roughly connected through plot with The Last Jedi being by far the lowest point.

Or maybe it's the fact that she's a boring, bland, Mary-Sue kind of character who has little personality?

You don't see people bitching about Sigourney Weaver's character from the Alien films. Ellen Ripley was a great character and a billion times better than Rey.
    Why is it when a poorly written female character some people will bitch endlessly about some mysterious agenda or use gendered insults?

Yet somehow the same doesn't happen when there are poorly written male characters for which there are a huge legion of them.

Rey might be poorly written but she's not a Mary Sue. She's simply a plaything for a weak director to shoot action scenes around. Anakin isn't all that different. Ep1-3 had a better plot but it was poorly told with very nice special effects.

PS Ripley wasn't specifically written to be female. A quirk of fate simply had a woman playing the character. Where would you be if a capable male actor played the same character?

Most iconic one for me would be ROTJ where Luke rages and fells Vader... along with the music that came with it. How people would place that below the power rangers fight in TLJ is just insulting lol
    This.

Anyway, this thread is wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Not that much of an insult from someone praising an old, confused-looking man waving a glow stick around!

Have you even seen the part I'm talking about? Most of the fighting is done by Ren who kills most of the guard, sometimes taking on three at a time, while Rey struggles to dispatch a few. Also in a time when most action scenes are jump-cut CGI jumbles the long-shots and coherent choreography make it a god-damned masterpiece. The fact that you have to use vague terms like soul and shallow shows your criticisms are coming from a general feeling about the movies than judging the sequence on its merits.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that great at all, but it's historically significant and iconic with memorable parts. Story-wise though it seems to be a sequence of awesome moments roughly connected through plot with The Last Jedi being by far the lowest point.
    The biggest part about them, is that they made Sci-Fi as a whole more mainstream. They made production companies more willing to take a chance. I think of Star Wars like I think of Blizzard as a whole. They made a great product a very long time ago, so people are personally invested in trying to help sell the current stuff as also being worthy. But, when you look back at it, even the old stuff wasn't really that awesome.

5+ Year Old Account
    Discussion is more or less better suited for Cinema/TV Shows/Music/Books than Gen-OT. This has been moved.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

The biggest part about them, is that they made Sci-Fi as a whole more mainstream. They made production companies more willing to take a chance. I think of Star Wars like I think of Blizzard as a whole. They made a great product a very long time ago, so people are personally invested in trying to help sell the current stuff as also being worthy. But, when you look back at it, even the old stuff wasn't really that awesome.
    I think it's largely because Lucas realised technology had reached a point where he could make those awesome sci-fi action scenes that would live up to his childhood imagination of Flash Gordon and other pulp classics. He also had the smarts to make a shed-load of toys so kids could take a piece of the action home to play with (something that very likely inspired the toy/cartoon combos that dominated the 80s.)

Also I think that blind fanboyism and haterism can come from Star Wars significance. There are people praising it just because they loved it as a kid but also people damning it when the new stuff doesn't make them feel like a kid again.

After reading what really happened it seems more like he decided he only wants to do part of the job so he’s stepped into a reduced role. I don’t know where you got that he was booted.

It had far more gravitas than anything from TLJ.

Also in a time when most action scenes are jump-cut CGI jumbles the long-shots and coherent choreography make it a god-damned masterpiece. The fact that you have to use vague terms like soul and shallow shows your criticisms are coming from a general feeling about the movies than judging the sequence on its merits.
    Coherent choreography? Ahaha. Don't make me laugh, please. If we are to ignore how shallow and empty the fight actually was, there are plenty of problems with it. Through merit alone, it is actually not all that good:

If you're calling this a masterpiece, then your bar was never high to begin with. Then again, it isn't always about how "cool" looking it is, I'm calling it shallow and lacking soul because it lacks the gravitas of some of the other fights. That's not a vague interpretation... I'm saying it was shit and didn't add a lot to the story and lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    But Luke's father was the main villain and Reys father was...........
    later found out to be the main villian.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Why is it when a poorly written female character some people will bitch endlessly about some mysterious agenda or use gendered insults?

Yet somehow the same doesn't happen when there are poorly written male characters for which there are a huge legion of them.

Rey might be poorly written but she's not a Mary Sue. She's simply a plaything for a weak director to shoot action scenes around. Anakin isn't all that different. Ep1-3 had a better plot but it was poorly told with very nice special effects.

PS Ripley wasn't specifically written to be female. A quirk of fate simply had a woman playing the character. Where would you be if a capable male actor played the same character?
    Plenty of people call out shit male characters for being shit. Only reason Rey gets highlighted here is because she's a main character of the Star Wars franchise. This has nothing to do with a male vs female thing. Shit bland characters are shit, I don't care if they identify as male, female or toaster.

No, she is a Mary Sue, as shown in this thorough analysis of her character:

That doesn't matter. At the end of the day, we got an awesome character. What about Sarah Connor? I don't care what gender they are, it's all about the character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    later found out to be the main villian.
    Palpatine was her grandfather, not father...

Meanwhile in reality land, one of the most successful CEOs ever retired a bit early, because what else is there to achieve after you bought basically all your competitors and just one pop culture.

Not everything is connected to your personal conspiracy theories.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

It had far more gravitas than anything from TLJ.

Coherent choreography? Ahaha. Don't make me laugh, please. If we are to ignore how shallow and empty the fight actually was, there are plenty of problems with it. Through merit alone, it is actually not all that good:
    <snip>
    If you're calling this a masterpiece, then your bar was never high to begin with. Then again, it isn't always about how "cool" looking it is, I'm calling it shallow and lacking soul because it lacks the gravitas of some of the other fights. That's not a vague interpretation... I'm saying it was shit and didn't add a lot to the story and lore.
    Yes, yes... feels > reals and here's a video to prove a point of some sort. I'm sure you much prefer the way Marvel (and seemingly every other studio these days) just jumps from punch to punch with no sense of what is actually happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Are people seriously trying to say disney star wars didn't absolutely suck? Star Wars ended at episode 6, best we remember it that way
    Yes, let our final memories of Star Wars be everyone hugging and smiling surrounded by dancing teddy bears in a forest.

Yes, yes... feels > reals and here's a video to prove a point of some sort. I'm sure you much prefer the way Marvel (and seemingly every other studio these days) just jumps from punch to punch with no sense of what is actually happening.
    And what's real? That the fight was exceptionally sloppy and didn't really add anything to the overall plot and character development? Sounds like to me you're relying on feels more than I am.

Oh yes, you're sure alright. Only thing is that I don't treat Marvel as some sort of brilliant choreographed movie series. Not like that Snoke throne room fight made any sense when looked at from a wider lens, but there you go.

The "point" of the video is to give you analysis detailing why it's not a choreographically well-made fight, specifically pointing out the errors showing why. Some of which are truly embarrassing.