Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Coronavirus in California: C.D.C. Confirms Possible Community Transmission Case

A person in California who was not exposed to anyone known to be infected with the coronavirus, and had not traveled to countries in which the virus is circulating, has tested positive for the infection.

It may be the first case of community spread in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

“At this point, the patient’s exposure is unknown,” the C.D.C. statement said. “The case was detected through the U.S. public health system and picked up by astute clinicians.”

Until now, public health officials have been able to trace all of the infections in the country to a recent trip abroad or a known patient, and to identify the sources of exposure.

Though C.D.C. officials said it was possible the patient was exposed to a returning traveler who was infected, the new case appears to be one of community spread — one in which the source of infection is unknown.

--------------------

Scary shit.
    Indeed. This is a first hearing this. Dam frightening. CDC is always coming up with new information, so we're not completely sure of this virus. T.T
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Scary shit.
    It's also scary that Pence is going to be the one behind the efforts to contain the Virus. Mike HIV outbreak Pence.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/26/2...s-response-hiv
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Maybe the White House will get hit by the Karma train.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Everyone huh?
    yes. people are disgusting when it comes to hygiene. wiping their noses and touching buttons on elevators. coughing without covering their mouths and much more. the subtle hygiene is something people don't even mind much. we have people who even do their business in the restroom and walk out without washing their hands

- - - Updated - - -

The person infected lives in Solano County and is being treated in Sacramento.

The patient has not recently traveled to a foreign country and has not had any known contact with a confirmed case.
    It's in North Carolina. Two people in Virginia have it. In NC the person who had it had not been out the country and got it from the community. GG.

nice job holiday'ers
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Considering how many people don't have health insurance, it's a damn certainty that it will spread, since many won't go to doctors/hospitals because they can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    https://apnews.com/58043910be7bdc6818344bdee2096bc2
    The Olympics could potentially be canceled entirely this year because of the virus. Apparently there are too many logistical hurdles to postpone or move it elsewhere, so if its too dangerous, it likely just won't happen at all.
    Can we just take a moment to appreciate that there’s a man out there with the name Dick Pound? Middle School had to have been tough for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Can we just take a moment to appreciate that there’s a man out there with the name Dick Pound? Middle School had to have been tough for him.
    omg...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny
    but i want my moon pies NOW!
    Well, technically Orion Choco Pies, but close enough. Several years back it seems that there was something of a black market for them in North Korea: https://www.cnbc.com/2013/10/04/choc...ted-snack.html
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

My real concern is what happens one day when there is some horrible virus/disease that has a 99.9% fatality rate? Shouldn't we be practicing for that scenario? We are doing a horrible job at containing it we would have like 80k dead by now with no end in sight yet...

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering how many people don't have health insurance, it's a damn certainty that it will spread, since many won't go to doctors/hospitals because they can't afford it.
    If a person doesn't have a career then they can just go to the emergency room for treatment and then not pay the bills. Since the payment collectors can't take money below a certain level needed for necessities. They can only take spare money above a certain threshold. And you can't get in legal trouble for the inability to pay as long as you don't lie about your finances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smiteme12 View Post
    My real concern is what happens one day when there is some horrible virus/disease that has a 99.9% fatality rate? Shouldn't we be practicing for that scenario? We are doing a horrible job at containing it we would have like 80k dead by now with no end in sight yet...
    The odds of that are going down over time though. The reason for that is because in order for a microorganism to be deadly that deadliness has to be encoded in a finite amount base pairs that gives it the knowledge to infect and multiply. Where as humans have an infinite capacity to create the problem solving knowledge needed to counter any microorganism. Advantage humans.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-02-27 at 05:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already have that. It's rabies, and is always fatal if not treated within...3 days I think. Hence vaccinations for pets.

Also I think brain eating amoeba is up there too.

My real concern is what happens one day when there is some horrible virus/disease that has a 99.9% fatality rate?
    You mean like HIV a few decades ago ?
    Last edited by Poe; 2020-02-27 at 05:18 AM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Im fairly worried about my parents. My dad travels a lot, but i imagine he's cancleing a lot of his work travels now. However, moms supposed to go on a cruise in a few months... hoping she changes her mind if this is still a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a point where a disease kills fast enough that it limits it's own capability to spread in the process, because it's too lethal.

Part of what makes a pandemic much scarier is when the disease isn't quite deadly enough to hinder sustained human to human spread.

10+ Year Old Account
    The good thing is the higher fatality rate the lower the virus is capable of transmitting. Viruses need a host to replicate and become more viral. If it kills the infected too fast it essentially self contains itself cause dead people don't typically make for great transmission vectors. Of course there are always possibilities like a high fatality rate virus with a long incubation period that can still be transmitted during the time. Though so far we have yet to see one like that. It also goes wildly into the plague inc territory but it's not like it's in the realm of impossibility. We've seen that this virus has a long incubation period and transmissible during it, it just isn't going to murderize you 99% of the time.

There are diseases (as others have mentioned) that are pretty deadly when untreated, but the transmission vector is harder to achieve, require being bitten or fucking. It's when airborne transmission especially like the measles is when it can get scary. This isn't as bad but it still is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We already have that. It's rabies, and is always fatal if not treated within...3 days I think. Hence vaccinations for pets.

Also I think brain eating amoeba is up there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    You mean like HIV a few decades ago ?
    Yes but I meant something that also can spread this damn fast and easy and has a long incubation period while being transmissible and people dont even realize!!

I just meant what if one day there is the absolute worse not yet discovered super bug that really fucks us hard.. shouldn't we be able and ready to completely lock down an area without letting it escape what so ever?
    Last edited by smiteme12; 2020-02-27 at 05:44 AM.

Oh crap a confirmed case in my state

Worse is that Northern California has a gigantic homeless population. If the virus comes into contact with them, RIP

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200227003952320

South Korea reported another daily spike in the number of new infections of the new coronavirus on Thursday, and more additional cases are expected to be identified in the hardest-hit city of Daegu and its neighboring regions as virus tests started on more than 210,000 members of a religious sect at the center of the rapid spread.

The whopping 334 new cases took the nation's total infections to 1,595, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

A 74-year-old virus patient who is tied to the religious sect in Daegu died of respiratory failure earlier Thursday, bringing the nation's death toll to 13.

More than half of newly confirmed cases came from a branch of a religious sect in the southeastern city of Daegu.

Of the 334 new cases, 307 are in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul, and four are in neighboring North Gyeongsang Province. The number of total infections in Daegu and North Gyeongsang stood at 1,017 and 321, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    who the f names their kid that...T.T or getting teased for the opposite. *Pound Dick*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200227003952320

South Korea reported another daily spike in the number of new infections of the new coronavirus on Thursday, and more additional cases are expected to be identified in the hardest-hit city of Daegu and its neighboring regions as virus tests started on more than 210,000 members of a religious sect at the center of the rapid spread.

The whopping 334 new cases took the nation's total infections to 1,595, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

A 74-year-old virus patient who is tied to the religious sect in Daegu died of respiratory failure earlier Thursday, bringing the nation's death toll to 13.

More than half of newly confirmed cases came from a branch of a religious sect in the southeastern city of Daegu.

Of the 334 new cases, 307 are in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul, and four are in neighboring North Gyeongsang Province. The number of total infections in Daegu and North Gyeongsang stood at 1,017 and 321, respectively.
    Uh....wut? 1600 confirmed in Korea? That's insaaaane!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    who the f names their kid that...T.T or getting teased for the opposite. *Pound Dick*
    I mean, official name is Richard, right?