Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I'm a big Baldurs gate fan and Larion Studios reignited my love for the genre with Divinity, so this is the perfect combination... What were the alternatives Bioware keeping the licence? HAHAHAHAHAA.
    .. and you call yourself a "big Baldurs gate fan"... Jesus christ man.. how pathetic and dumb that comment is.... Please, pull your chair back, place your hands in your lap and rethink your whole life now. That comment made everyone dumber.
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    My question to you and if you are being honest is your desire, your vision of a future baldurs gate game, realistic and financially realistic with that i mean an investment that pays off? So you rather have it attempted in a matter that would be a high risk with little return, risking the entire series?

To me it sounds like you rather have no future for this game series at all honestly. Which is fine but than you also have to be honest and declare that no future addition to the game would ever be good enough for you.

It is called Baldurs Gate 3 because it takes place in the forgotten realms and it builds on the past and takes into account DnD, it also is a franchise that is know and let us not forget unless i am mistaken they contacted Larian studios to make the game not the other way around.
    It is not a continuation for you, for those who own the rights it is.

Interesting, you are aware that the new doom series did evolve and move beyond what the originals were and even completely discarded the concept of the last ones made by IDsoftware which weren't that successful as they tried to create some weird sort of horror shooter. I would argue that Baldurs gate 3 is actually taking what works from the original games, adding new elements, adding things that work and mechanically evolving the game. So in essence what has happened to the doom series...
    I see no point in bringing series that was dead for almost for 20 years just to make a game with no connections to original. If they have no intentions of making anything even remotely similar to original games then why pretend the game is something it isn't? I want BG3 that feels like baldurs gate, not a game that has as much common with it as any RPG has.

Larian could just say: "Hey guys we are hyped to announce that we are working with Wizards and our next game will be based on D&D, we can even visit some familiar places". And noone would have any issues with it.

And doom pretty much trashed all deviations from tried formula (aka doom 3) and made game based entirely on brutal doom.

Im sorry but i just don't buy Inafunes "Its better than nothing" mentality.

Are there enough people left who likes this kind of game? Does it have real-time combat or turn-based like divinity original sin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I see no point in bringing series that was dead for almost for 20 years just to make a game with no connections to original. If they have no intentions of making anything even remotely similar to original games then why pretend the game is something it isn't? I want BG3 that feels like baldurs gate, not a game that has as much common with it as any RPG has.

Larian could just say: "Hey guys we are hyped to announce that we are working with Wizards and our next game will be based on D&D, we can even visit some familiar places". And noone would have any issues with it.

And doom pretty much trashed all deviations from tried formula (aka doom 3) and made game based entirely on brutal doom.
    "No connection" is an exaggeration that stems from your discontent that it is not a version to your liking. It is still DnD, it still takes place in that world, it builds on the past etc. But it is not RTwP. Going to be harsh here but those who own the rights pretty much define what a baldurs gate game is or is not, not the fans...

Wasn't Brutal doom a mod? So in as i said, the new doom series took something that works, was a financial solid choice and breath new life into a series that was kept a live by just fan projects, so how does this differ from what is happening to baldurs gate now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Are there enough people left who likes this kind of game? Does it have real-time combat or turn-based like divinity original sin?
    as per the pages and pages of discussion mentioning, including this one, its turn based. As mentioned previously RTwP is simply too niche to make BG3 survive and prosper as a returning franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    You can read up on everything we know so far here, also there is a link to the entire live stream that shows the first minutes in the game in early access.

"No connection" is an exaggeration that stems from your discontent that it is not a version to your liking. It is still DnD, it still takes place in that world, it builds on the past etc. But it is not RTwP. Going to be harsh here but those who own the rights pretty much define what a baldurs gate game is or is not, not the fans...
    It's not an exaggeration, and it doesn't have to stem from discontent. I don't mind the game being like divinity, I like both types of games. But what was shown in the reveal had pretty much nothing to do with baldurs gate, and everything to do with divinity.

10+ Year Old Account
    So is Icewind dale and neverwinter nights. And many others. There is literally no reason to call this game baldurs gate 3. Whats the point of digging that grave out?

Wasn't Brutal doom a mod? So in as i said, the new doom series took something that works, was a financial solid choice and breath new life into a series that was kept a live by just fan projects, so how does this differ from what is happening to baldurs gate now?
    Which doesn't change the fact that in Doom 2016 you can clearly see dooms DNA, (as opposed to for instance that trashed concept of making it modern military shooter), something that new BG clealy lacks. If someone shown you the footage without saying what game it is and asked you to guess, would you really think that its baldurs gate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    It's not an exaggeration, and it doesn't have to stem from discontent. I don't mind the game being like divinity, I like both types of games. But what was shown in the reveal had pretty much nothing to do with baldurs gate, and everything to do with divinity.
    People had unreasonable expectations. 20 years has passed, and studios have changed. It was obvious, that Larian will make a game in style and with tools that are familiar to them, instead of experimenting.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    .. and you call yourself a "big Baldurs gate fan"... Jesus christ man.. how pathetic and dumb that comment is.... Please, pull your chair back, place your hands in your lap and rethink your whole life now. That comment made everyone dumber.
    We're soon going to have a load of people calling themselves "huge BG fans!" even though they've never played anything before Larian's BG3.

Better get used to it, same thing happened with e.g when Bethesda took over fallout.

10+ Year Old Account
    So is Icewind dale and neverwinter nights. And many others. There is literally no reason to call this game baldurs gate 3. Whats the point of digging that grave out?

Which doesn't change the fact that in Doom 2016 you can clearly see dooms DNA, (as opposed to for instance that trashed concept of making it modern military shooter), something that new BG clealy lacks. If someone shown you the footage without saying what game it is and asked you to guess, would you really think that its baldurs gate.
    According to those who own the IP there is a good reason behind it to call it that, i know this is an annoying fact. But it's like when George Lucas added Jar jar binks, when Blizzard added pandarian to WoW, it is still part of it. The reason is to bring in new people, to build on the popularity of turn based games and RPG's, to bring a game series back to life. There is undoubtedly a large financial reason behind this but i also believe they do so because they want to see a future and they must really like what that game studios did with a DnD based rule set game.

So your problem is how it looks as in visually? I am no expert of the older games, i enjoyed planescape torment but baldurs gate was not something i dove into, so i can't judge. I still remain of opinion that as a RPG fan in general i rather look forward to exploring that world and seeing what it can bring even if it is not true to the originals.

I asked this before so you rather have no future game? You rather would have baldurs game to be this relic of a past?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Wasn't the Divinity OS play-style one of the reasons why Wizards of the Cost gave them the license for it? I remember them commenting about it somewhere.
    I believe so, or something among those lines was mentioned by sven when it was first announced.

Found something Larian was shot down the first time it wanted to make Baldur's Gate 3
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-02-29 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    We're soon going to have a load of people calling themselves "huge BG fans!" even though they've never played anything before Larian's BG3.

Better get used to it, same thing happened with e.g when Bethesda took over fallout.
    Sigh...

I don't like that I have to prove to you that I like something. I love Baldurs Gate and the genre it holds, if you think otherwise that's your own fault. Now I'll be honest I wasnt on the Baldurs Gate bandwagon from day 1, but before BG2 came out I got the first one and the expansion.

EDIT: Also I just printed this for you... This is the version I own, as mentioned. I also own in on Steam too as this game no longer runs on my PC (to be expected).

Obviously I am a bandwagon jumper from 1999
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-02-29 at 06:17 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is called Baldurs Gate 3 because it takes place in the forgotten realms and it builds on the past and takes into account DnD, it also is a franchise that is know and let us not forget unless i am mistaken they contacted Larian studios to make the game not the other way around.
    It is not a continuation for you, for those who own the rights it is.
    It’s actually the other way round larian contacted them and got the rights and agreed to work closely with them to try and make it true to forum, there’s been a lot of back and forth apparently so it’s not like they are doing what ever they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to those who own the IP there is a good reason behind it to call it that, i know this is an annoying fact. But it's like when George Lucas added Jar jar binks, when Blizzard added pandarian to WoW, it is still part of it. The reason is to bring in new people, to build on the popularity of turn based games and RPG's, to bring a game series back to life. There is undoubtedly a large financial reason behind this but i also believe they do so because they want to see a future and they must really like what that game studios did with a DnD based rule set game.

So your problem is how it looks as in visually? I am no expert of the older games, i enjoyed planescape torment but baldurs gate was not something i dove into, so i can't judge. I still remain of opinion that as a RPG fan in general i rather look forward to exploring that world and seeing what it can bring even if it is not true to the originals.

I asked this before so you rather have no future game? You rather would have baldurs game to be this relic of a past?
    Answering your question, yes i want it to be relic of the past. Either you make a real baldurs gate game, or if you consider it to be unprofitable you leave on the shelf.
    I see no reason to make it "continuation" rather than new series, other than a very cynical preying on peoples nostalgia.

And no, my problem is that after watching 2 hour presentation there wasn't a single time i thought "This is baldurs gate".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It’s actually the other way round larian contacted them and got the rights and agreed to work closely with them to try and make it true to forum, there’s been a lot of back and forth apparently so it’s not like they are doing what ever they want.
    Yes i was wrong, check the last article i linked, they tried first after Divinity Original sins 1 and got shot down because they were considered too inexperienced, they tried again during early access of the second game and got it.

""They saw what we were doing and asked if we were still interested," says Vincke. "That got the ball rolling. During Divinity: Original Sin 2, we had to submit the design for it, but it was annoying because we were about to release DOS2. So we sat in a hotel for a weekend the month before release, me and a couple of writers and designers, and we made the initial design document. It wasn't very good, but it had the core ideas and they did like it, so they asked us to make another version."

That became Baldur's Gate 3's design document, and since then Larian's been able to get Wizards of the Coast to sign off on their vision for the game.

"It's very refreshing to have the level of trust they gave us," says Vincke. "

- - - Updated - - -

Answering your question, yes i want it to be relic of the past. Either you make a real baldurs gate game, or if you consider it to be unprofitable you leave on the shelf.
    I see no reason to make it "continuation" rather than new series, other than a very cynical preying on peoples nostalgia.

And no, my problem is that after watching 2 hour presentation there wasn't a single time i thought "This is baldurs gate".
    Fair enough, i can't and won't argue against that. I am still convinced it will be a good RPG in that world. I don't believe they are preying on people's nostalgia, i do as mentioned before believe there is a financial motivation but i also believe they are wanting the IP to be in good hands, even if that means it is not true to the original series.

So instead of collars it's a tadpole. And the game starts with a ship wreck. Why do I feel like I've played this already...

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    But Baldurs Gate story is complete. The childrens of Baal story is done.

IF they get setting and mechanics of 5th edition right im sold. I just hope they dont inject it with too much Original sin 2 juice.

I want recreation of tabletop, 1:1 scale. All rules, all classes, all options. How magic work etc.
    Personally I'd prefer 3.5 and real-time simulation like Neverwinter Nights was. I get that turn based is Larian's strength and Divinity 2 is a good game, just not my preferrence if I have to pick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bauldurs gate is about the setting and the story. Not the combat.

The pause system was terrible, for me at least, I had to force myself to play through that annoying system.

Turn based is more in tune with what D&D is all about anyway.

Pretty excited for this one.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Bauldurs gate is about the setting and the story. Not the combat.

The pause system was terrible, for me at least, I had to force myself to play through that annoying system.

Turn based is more in tune with what D&D is all about anyway.

Pretty excited for this one.
    Turn-based would work if it wasn't team Initiative; as an XCOM player, it's not fun to be on the receiving end of an Alpha Strike.
    In that game, it can cost you a mission; in this, it can cost you Game OVer.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Personally I'd prefer 3.5 and real-time simulation like Neverwinter Nights was. I get that turn based is Larian's strength and Divinity 2 is a good game, just not my preferrence if I have to pick.
    3.5 was great, but i believe the 5th is the new king.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Turn-based would work if it wasn't team Initiative; as an XCOM player, it's not fun to be on the receiving end of an Alpha Strike.
    In that game, it can cost you a mission; in this, it can cost you Game OVer.
    Sooo you dont like DnD combat system? :P Because thats how it can work. There is a reason that Improved Initiative feat was no brainer for most players.