View Poll Results: Is The Passion the definitive movie about Jesus?

Voters
55. This poll is closed
  • Yes

13 23.64%
  • No

42 76.36%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bae View Post
    Why not? You can make a fictional character any colour you want.
    I mean I don't disagree with you, but that isn't what we are talking about.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's a shitty movie, like every Mel Gibson movie. Simpleminded propaganda.
    This pretty much. 100% propaganda. And an awful and very very bland film.

The only thing anyone remembers this for is the violence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I mean I don't disagree with you, but that isn't what we are talking about.
    Its what you said. I merely replied to it.

No one can empirically state which colour Jesus was as no text exists to prove his existence or his skin colour. Therefore if he was White, Black, West Asian, East Asian, Hispanic or smurflike, no one can say its not realistic or definitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    It was a fun movie if you're into films like Saw, I suppose.
    I like saw because it had a plot. This garbage didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    just because something is self admittedly satire doesn't mean it has any historical relevance.
    Lets not get into the semantics of history, now...

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    There's no evidence to suggest that Jesus was tortured like that.

https://www.archaeological.org/pdfs/...he_Passion.pdf
    You're missing the point. His crucifixion and death is meant to absolve man of his sins. The dramatisation does well to provide the imagery to the mythology of that sacrifice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life of Brian is self admittedly a satire of the life and times of Jesus Christ, like Spaceballs is satire of Star Wars. Satire is usually tongue-in-cheek, not to be taken seriously based on the concept of being satire alone, but to each his own.

Is The Passion the definitive movie about Jesus Christ, IE:, the best we've seen? The grading curve is, every and any other film that could be considered a serious, cinematic depiction of the story of Jesus. I feel like citing satire discredits that argument in the same way citing Spaceballs as your favorite Star Wars film would muddy that debate. How can satire be convincingly and seriously discussed if its mission statement is making fun of a story rather than depicting it from a serious platform? I'm not discrediting comedy as a genre, but just because something is self admittedly satire doesn't mean it has any historical relevance.
    Are you seriously, honestly asking how satire is satire? The entire point of the genre is to use humour to take a hard look at and discuss actual serious real-life events and situations. Animal Farm isn't just a goofy story about animals taking over a farm in case you hadn't realized.

No one said anything about Spaceballs being anyone's "favorite Star Wars film". You're all over the map here buddy, moving goalposts around and changing your argument with every new post after you put your foot in your mouth.

Passion isn't the definitive movie about Jesus Christ, nor is it even historically accurate. Life of Brian at least demonstrates that it understands and knows the source material it's poking fun of, whereas Passion reliably demonstrates that it understands very little at all about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern Notice View Post
    The Bible is all fiction you say?

Interesting.
    Yes. What makes you think its not?

No one can empirically state which colour Jesus was as no text exists to prove his existence or his skin colour. Therefore if he was White, Black, West Asian, East Asian, Hispanic or smurflike, no one can say its not realistic or definitive.
    I think the fact that its not mentioned, suggests he fit in with his surroundings.

5+ Year Old Account
    Probably, yeah.

I just want to re-assess, because we're now 6 pages deep, but only a handful, who have pointed out by the way, that the point is, grading on a curve; is this the definitive movie about Jesus, as in the best movie about Jesus you've seen? If you don't think so, what movie about Jesus was better, and why? Only a handful of people have actually cited what film they felt was better. Historical accuracy does come into account, and if the violence is cited as the reason to you this is historically inaccurate, that is fine too, but things like Jesus' skin color shouldn't disqualify this movie anymore than any other movie about Jesus where he was most assuredly played by a white actor.

The question isn't necessarily how good The Passion is, it's what movie about Jesus have you seen that is better if you don't think it's good because of X? We're grading on a curve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    You're missing the point. His crucifixion and death is meant to absolve man of his sins. The dramatisation does well to provide the imagery to the mythology of that sacrifice.
    Might as well chuck Christ into a woodchipper and call it Passion 2.0 if dramatization is all that's necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    -snip-
    interesting facts, so where did he came with all that? just for making a movie?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

dramatization, over embellishment to propagandize it, tomayto, tomahto, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. What makes you think its not?
    Jesus of Nazareth is a known historic figure that exists within both the Jewish and Roman written records of the 1st C. BCE. What he was other than a bit of a rebellious guy with a big mouth no one knows, but the man did exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    dramatization, over embellishment to propagandize it, tomayto, tomahto, right?
    This guy gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    'fiction' or not fact is a guy like Jesus was actually born, u can call him heretic or liar but to claim that his existence itself was fiction that's a new delusion lvl that only an idiot can believe in
    There were many Jesus' born back then with that name. Theres no evidence to suggest he did anything that the bible says he does. The only non biblical account of Jesus from around that time was by the historian Flavius Josephus, and he was born after "Jesus" had been crucified. To which one must ask, what proof did Flavius have apart from here-say and chinese whispers about him?

10+ Year Old Account
    The question isn't necessarily how good The Passion is, it's what movie about Jesus have you seen that is better if you don't think it's good because of X? We're grading on a curve.
    if u asking there was a better movie about how his real life really is the answer is none
    if u asking if that movie is accurate it isn't, just the most close to accuracy
    and the thing that piss me off the most is ppl claiming that he wasn't white, i lived in lebanon for 2 years and they are as white as they get, probably only most north europe are whiter (lebanon is part of Levant, where he was born)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

What it does is put the "myth" in mythology.

Are you seriously, honestly asking how satire is satire? The entire point of the genre is to use humour to take a hard look at and discuss actual serious real-life events and situations. Animal Farm isn't just a goofy story about animals taking over a farm in case you hadn't realized.

No one said anything about Spaceballs being anyone's "favorite Star Wars film". You're all over the map here buddy, moving goalposts around and changing your argument with every new post after you put your foot in your mouth.

Passion isn't the definitive movie about Jesus Christ, nor is it even historically accurate. Life of Brian at least demonstrates that it understands and knows the source material it's poking fun of, whereas Passion reliably demonstrates that it understands very little at all about it.
    To be honest, the discussion snowballed beyond even where I expected it would go. You've made your point on The Passion, and at least cited an alternate film you believe is a better... Jesus film, albeit satirical, I'll accept it, I'm not going to argue your opinion. I believe The Passion understands its source material, albeit with taking some liberties with historical accuracy. To me, if anything, it's probably just a very brutal and violent movie about Jesus, but to me, as a film that focuses on his final hours and crucifixion, it works. I guess I'm biased against satire because while I do enjoy it, I can't discuss it as a serious depiction of source material given its mission statement is to simply make fun of it.

I can't take it anymore seriously than I can take Scary Movie as a horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    and the thing that piss me off the most is ppl claiming that he wasn't white, i lived in lebanon for 2 years and they are as white as they get, probably only most north europe are whiter (lebanon is part of Levant, where he was born)
    I keep seeing you make this point. Do you mean white, as in Caucasian?

Jesus of Nazareth is a known historic figure that exists within both the Jewish and Roman written records of the 1st C. BCE. What he was other than a bit of a rebellious guy with a big mouth no one knows, but the man did exist.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy gets it.
    Really? Theres never been any actual proof of that. Of all the historians and philosophers and other figures from around that time never make reference to him once. The only ones who do come after his death. To which again its all just here-say.

10+ Year Old Account
    There were many Jesus' born back then with that name. Theres no evidence to suggest he did anything that the bible says he does. The only non biblical account of Jesus from around that time was by the historian Flavius Josephus, and he was born after "Jesus" had been crucified. To which one must ask, what proof did Flavius have apart from here-say and chinese whispers about him?
    i didn't claim his actions are true, i only said that the person who is considered christians messiah and god is real and did exist, did he do miracles no idea, but for sure he at least started a cult that its impact still exist the strongest today (so far as far i know most world is atheists then christians then muslims then hindus then many minorities, yes even jews are too low to be categorized as major religion)
    Thrall