Page 1 of 3
LastLast

3000 Series GPUS soon?

I was just about to purchase a 2070 Super but then I realized GTC is this month and I heard Nvidia is suppose to announce new cards there.
    Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    We're due for another GPU launch this year. Whether that's next month or around November I'm not sure.

If you're satisfied with the performance per dollar of the 2070 super you can always buy that now, and then return it if we get a launch window and you're fine with waiting until then.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD's next gen GPU will be coming towards the end of this year. As you said Nvidia is rumored to be announcing its next gen CPU at the upcoming GTC event, but I doubt they'll be released before the summer at the earliest.

So it depends on how long you're willing to wait.

Announce soon, actual launch in summer for high end SKUs, low-midrange launch in the fall or late summer (as stock of low-midrange GPUs finally runs down).

Thatd be my guess.

I'd say it's fair to expect a launch Q3/beginning of Q4. Pretty sure Nvidia will announce the stuff there, but there's no reason for them to rush it. There's also coronavirus still in play which is going to delay it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping for a new gen this year. Been holding off upgrading my 980ti for a while now.

Nothing can be worse than the whole 1070/1080 being out of stock issue from a few years ago. I literally got 1070 and a 1080 two years ago because for a whole year and a half, they were out of stock 24/7 or on crazy overprice.

I suspect you will get an announcement before May. Release sometime following that. Unless the virus screws things up.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Announcement is rumoured to be at the event on the 20th but probably won’t be out till summer at the earliest.
    I would hold off till the announcement/release
    I’m also looking at the 2070 super ,this one in particular
    https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-gefor...82E16814932213

I don't really see new stuff coming out before the end of summer. AMD isn't launching "big Navi" any time soon. So even if the rumors of it are true, Nvidia is getting all the money they want from their 2000 series GPUs before AMD launches something worthwhile.

AMD has said rdna 2 cards are on the way, and with that comes the higher end Navi cards. So expect an rx 6000(?) series announcement this year.

Nvidia I haven't really read too much about. I hope they don't repeat the regular series followed by a super series, that was just a waste of marketing. But rtx 3000 is supposed to have decent performance increases from what I have seen, even 5-10% would put it in a great place. And should have the efficiency increases from dropping to 7nm from 12nm.

I doubt the Halo AMD card will outperform the Halo Nvidia card. The Titan cards are insane. But if the AMD card has performance close to 2080/super and close performance per watt, then AMD could undercut Nvidia and repeat their CPU divisions win over Intel.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2020-03-08 at 07:15 PM.

Titan is not the Halo product.

Titan is its own line now, targeted at prosumers.

The -Ti part for the top SKU is the Halo product.

And i seriously doubt, at this point, that Big Navi is going to compete favorably with Ampere. The news coming out was that Big Navi was going to beat the 2080, by possibly a decent margin....

But Ampere looks like a total monster. The GA100 (full-fat) GPU has 8000+ CUDA cores boosting into the 2.2ghz range.

Even if it is cut down to almost half (for consumer Halo cards), a “3080Ti” will still have more than 1000 more cores than the 2080ti, clocked higher, and likely quite a bit more efficient because of the new node. Big Navi isnt going to beat that.

However, thats not relevant except for mindshare in the heads of a tiny group of enthusiasts. For every 2080Ti that sells, hundreds of 1660/SUPER/Ti’s sell. And Navi is competing quite well at the price categories that people actually buy in quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The news coming out was that Big Navi was going to beat the 2080, by possibly a decent margin...
    Latest rumors being thrown around is that "Big Navi" is 50% faster than a 2080ti. Which is still less than what Nvidia is rumored to bring to the table.

Validity of these rumors are pretty much zero though. As they are only extrapolations of the rumored die size and other features.

But we know Xbox Series X should be faster than a 2080 as it is >20% higher teraflops than NAVI 10 and supposedly RDNA2 has IPC improvements to boot. So it's not totally out of the question that big navi is going to rock. This assuming Microsoft's 12 teraflops figure is actually true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Latest rumors being thrown around is that "Big Navi" is 50% faster than a 2080ti. Which is still less than what Nvidia is rumored to bring to the table.

Validity of these rumors are pretty much zero though. As they are only extrapolations of the rumored die size and other features.
    it's because Big Navi (Or RDNA 2 I think the architecture is actually called?) offers a 50% improvement over their old architecture in performance per watt or something, and people take that to mean it'll perform 50% better.

But we know Xbox Series X should be faster than a 2080 as it is >20% higher teraflops than NAVI 10 and supposedly RDNA2 has IPC improvements to boot. So it's not totally out of the question that big navi is going to rock. This assuming Microsoft's 12 teraflops figure is actually true.
    I really doubt a console that costs 500 dollars is going to outperform a DGPU that costs about the same. If it does, then that'll be amazing, but I really doubt it will. I'm still of the opinion that the 12 Teraflops is actually half-precision instead of full precision.. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I really doubt a console that costs 500 dollars is going to outperform a DGPU that costs about the same. If it does, then that'll be amazing, but I really doubt it will. I'm still of the opinion that the 12 Teraflops is actually half-precision instead of full precision.. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.
    The profit margins of video cards in recent times is a lot higher than you might think.

No what matters the 1080ti is still good...so lol (Aka they will never make another 1080ti meme). Seriously, the rumors are GREAT atm, like serious insane performance jumps, but...rumors, so we will see.

I have high hopes for Nvidia, im sure their stock can go even higher, even if no mining craze.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

it's because Big Navi (Or RDNA 2 I think the architecture is actually called?) offers a 50% improvement over their old architecture in performance per watt or something, and people take that to mean it'll perform 50% better.
    Navi 2X. But yea, that 50% uplift is some marketing bullshit. It's probably going to be 50% in some super niche category.

- - - Updated - - -

They're probably comparing compute performance again. If I remember correctly AMD advertised Vega 64 having more compute performance than 1080Ti, we all know how that translated into gaming performance.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    The profit margins of video cards in recent times is a lot higher than you might think.
    But it's an insane jump. The Xbox one x, the currently highest performing console is roughly in the neighbourhood of the 1060. Maybe a 1070 if we're generous. I just do not see AMD getting that kind of jump in performance. They'd have to sell the new GPU to Microsoft at roughly the same price.. Something that's ~50-100% more powerful. It just seems incredibly unlikely to me.

If they pull it off though, then holy fuck am I looking forward to the halo products from Nvidia and AMD next gen, those things are going to be insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Navi 2X. But yea, that 50% uplift is some marketing bullshit. It's probably going to be 50% in some super niche category.
    AMD had their big event today or yesterday and said 50% better performance per watt. Which, sure. I believe that. Their current GPUs are power hogs. But that doesn't mean you'll get 50% better performance, just lower power draw

They're probably comparing compute performance again. If I remember correctly AMD advertised Vega 64 having more compute performance than 1080Ti, we all know how that translated into gaming performance.
    That's true, might just be that.

i hope we get an announcement this month but release much later

i want to sell my 2080 and get 3080(ti?) but all thoes cancelled events and potential delays are making me nervous about hitting good price point vs release date of new cards

10+ Year Old Account

AMD had their big event today or yesterday and said 50% better performance per watt. Which, sure. I believe that. Their current GPUs are power hogs. But that doesn't mean you'll get 50% better performance, just lower power draw
    AMD's RDNA in the current Navi GPU's has similar performance/watt as Nvidia's Turing GPU's does. Of course, Turing is on 14nm (or is it 12nm? Can't remember) vs Navi/RDNA1 on 7nm. Remains to be seen what kind of performance/watt improvement Ampere gets on a 7nm node.