Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...yeah but no. You don't blow money on a produced trailer, licenses music, and expensive ad-buys and "phone it in" because they're not "the audience".
    Don't even know why they waste money on advertisement like TV, the game sells itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Don't even know why they waste money on advertisement like TV, the game sells itself.
    If you're already a fan and following all the news, it does. But that's not who the TV ads are primarily aimed at, though they're still considered as ensuring that they know when the game is coming out matters. It's trying to get those crossover folks that enjoy shooters, don't follow gaming news, but would still be interested in Doom.

If the game "sold itself", they wouldn't need a marketing/communications budget or strategy at all. They'd just make it and release it.

If you're already a fan and following all the news, it does. But that's not who the TV ads are primarily aimed at, though they're still considered as ensuring that they know when the game is coming out matters. It's trying to get those crossover folks that enjoy shooters, don't follow gaming news, but would still be interested in Doom.

If the game "sold itself", they wouldn't need a marketing/communications budget or strategy at all. They'd just make it and release it.
    But a TV spot? Who even watches actual TV anymore? Who watches TV commercials anymore even. My parents don't even watch TV, they watch netflix, hulu.

But a TV spot? Who even watches actual TV anymore?
    A lot of people, and this is likely running on digital platforms too (YouTube etc.) Believe it or not TV is still a huge sector for consumer advertising.

https://www.statista.com/chart/15224...-by-us-adults/

It's a less important segment than it used to be, but it still draws a ton of eyeballs and reaches a lot of the non-core gamers that they want buying the game. They have the enthusiast segment for the most part, this is expanding beyond. And it's a standard part of most AAA campaigns still, even today.

A lot of people, and this is likely running on digital platforms too (YouTube etc.) Believe it or not TV is still a huge sector for consumer advertising.

https://www.statista.com/chart/15224...-by-us-adults/

It's a less important segment than it used to be, but it still draws a ton of eyeballs and reaches a lot of the non-core gamers that they want buying the game. They have the enthusiast segment for the most part, this is expanding beyond. And it's a standard part of most AAA campaigns still, even today.
    I have someone I work with who is about as computer literate as a used dishcloth, and he's younger than me, so I suppose there is still some market, but the avg gamer....

Do people not have adblock either?

Do people not have adblock either?
    A great many do...at least on PC. But plenty don't, and a ton of viewing is done on mobile where it can be more challenging to get adblockers that aren't malware and shit. Seriously, it blows my mind how much viewing apparently happens on mobile whenever I get a peek at the data for campaigns I'm working on.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...yeah but no. You don't blow money on a produced trailer, licenses music, and expensive ad-buys and "phone it in" because they're not "the audience".
    Exactly because it's not the audience, they had to use a "casual-friendly" [c]rap music instead of metal music and remove all visuals of gore and demons mortally challenged being split in half with a chainsaw. Whole TV roll can afford to be half-hearted mostly because they can't show the actual DOOM on TV anyway

A great many do...at least on PC. But plenty don't, and a ton of viewing is done on mobile where it can be more challenging to get adblockers that aren't malware and shit. Seriously, it blows my mind how much viewing apparently happens on mobile whenever I get a peek at the data for campaigns I'm working on.
    Adblock itself has a browser and opera has it built in i believe.

Yea just looked it up, opera browser has built in adblock and vpn.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ad was suppose to appeal to a wider audience which was probably done by Bethesda and not Id. If Id were in charge they would of had their very own Mick Gordon do the music. The reception would be much better if that was the case.

Marketing 101: The wider the net for your targket market, the less chance of success.

Anyways the review embargo will lift a couple days before release on March 17th. Bethesda is either VERY confident in Doom or they have changed the review policy. As someone who has played about 3 hours of Doom Eternal, I can safely say it will be a GotY contender.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-03-13 at 11:10 PM.

Really wish I could grab this off the bat, but with ffviir and re3 coming out so close after I think doom will have to wait
    Your priorities are extremely sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Your priorities are extremely sad.
    Doom's a fun once through every once in awhile, the other two will be 100+ hours each.

Doom's a fun once through every once in awhile, the other two will be 100+ hours each.
    I'll give you FF, but how is RE 100+ hours? It's just as much of a one and done as Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I'll give you FF, but how is RE 100+ hours? It's just as much of a one and done as Doom.
    For some reason i never feel the urge to get all the unlocks in doom, I have to get hem all in RE. Then I usually try to run it as fast as possible and that takes a bit. Easily have 120 hours in RE2

I'm not sure about this game. Judging by the vids, it seems to have a very fast paced playstyle that also involves a lot of verticality. Since I'm not a Fortnite kid, I'll probably pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    I'm not sure about this game. Judging by the vids, it seems to have a very fast paced playstyle that also involves a lot of verticality. Since I'm not a Fortnite kid, I'll probably pass.
    Something something Quake.

Damnit all, I cannot wait for this bloody OST.

Damnit all, I cannot wait for this bloody OST.
    "But... there is one they fear. In their tongue... he is "Dovahkiin' - Dragonborn!" I mean Doom Slayer.

But a TV spot? Who even watches actual TV anymore? Who watches TV commercials anymore even. My parents don't even watch TV, they watch netflix, hulu.
    Lots of people. Even like the lowest rated shit on espn is drawing 100k ratings in the dead of night, that is literally more then almost all twitch streamers for example. Let alone prime time shows and sports drawing millions. If you think TV is a dead form of media that is so far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Lots of people. Even like the lowest rated shit on espn is drawing 100k ratings in the dead of night, that is literally more then almost all twitch streamers for example. Let alone prime time shows and sports drawing millions. If you think TV is a dead form of media that is so far from the truth.
    It's boomers who still watch TV regularly.

Between internet, video games and my job, I barely have time for TV. I only watch TV if there is a movie that I really want to see or a TV show that I actually follow.
    I really only watch TV during my meals because I have a TV in the kitchen, and then it's mostly Cartoon Network or Comedy Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttwitch View Post
    Yeah, everyone knows fast-paced shooters did not exist before 2017.