Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Not that it's anything but you're opinion, but you are the only person I've heard say anything near that lol.
    It's basically more of the same, just with new content not sure how it could be worse tbh. I guess there are always those select few hipsters that have to yell "newest version of franchise suxorz back in my day...".

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's basically more of the same, just with new content not sure how it could be worse tbh. I guess there are always those select few hipsters that have to yell "newest version of franchise suxorz back in my day...".
    A lot of what I hear is just that, it's at least as good as 2016 if not better in areas.

So far I am happy with this game. I didnt expect this game to blow me away like 2016 did, that one was lightning out of the bottle, but Eternal is what it is. A good sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    A lot of what I hear is just that, it's at least as good as 2016 if not better in areas.
    Most complaints I see are about platforming and ammo starvation. While wall crawling is a matter of preference, ammo can give someone rude awakening after 2016 where enemies droped emergency ammo when you were low while Eternal chainsaw slowly refuels itself to compensate, something I didnt realise at first.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2020-03-20 at 10:16 PM.

2016 was a damn near perfect game because of its simplicity while Eternal just complicates the hell out of everything to mixed results. It's definitely an awesome game but so far I definitely think 2016 was better. Though this is mostly based around personal preferences.

15+ Year Old Account
    im good to go, got an i5 4690k at 4.4ghz and an r9 390 8gb...gimme dat doom!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Ok, is punching supposed to deal no damage, and only be used for glory kills? Because i saw regular possesed take 10 punches in the face and still stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Ok, is punching supposed to deal no damage, and only be used for glory kills? Because i saw regular possesed take 10 punches in the face and still stand.
    think it's supposed to only be super effective under blood punch

Well, got it working now. Seems it was a graphics issue, I lowered them to Low (went with Ultra at first) and the game ran just fine. Bumped it back to High and did the first two levels with no crashes at all. Hopefully a patch fixes the issue, because I can definitely push the game further- not that it is ugly at all at this point, but it's a shame that I upgraded my hardware in part for this game and a crash forces me to downgrade.

More importantly, I'm having a blast overall. I will agree that there's a bit too much of an emphasis on forcing staggers and Glory Kills so far, but ammo starvation is a learn to play issue- there's pickups aplenty lying around, using the right tools allows you to save plenty of ammo and I went extended times without using the Chainsaw. Definitely do think Cacodemons are a bit spongy if you don't cheese them with a grenade, but Ballista will take care of that issue.

Apart from the above, it's everything I wanted, 2016 but even more intense, throwing huge numbers and heavier demons at you right off the bat. The first Slayer Gate burned through two of my extra lives, those buffed Hell Knights are no joke with Revenant support. Favorite new enemy thus far is the Arachnotron, which rewards precision shooting and then circle strafing her to death.

And holy fuck the music is good. Not only the metal tracks, even the ambient stuff is top notch.

I refunded my Game, its not really a Doom for me. They kinda overdid it for me with those massive Systems on top of another.
    Plus the "Savegame-mechanic" is kinda letdown. Arbitrary Save Points is a no go in 2020.

BTW Nvidia released a new Driver today ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a couple hours of Doom Eternal on PC - it runs beautifully, stable AF, and the graphics are amazing. Some of the demons/enemies are *insanely* detailed.

Its also one of the most relentless shooters I've played - you're often swarmed from all directions by an absurd amount of enemies. I don't know if I like the flame/armor, glory kill/health,chainsaw/ammo mechanic - feels like the devs just had to have a gameplay 'trinity' - but that's a fairly minor complaint.

Killer soundtrack as well, but that was to be expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    And holy fuck the music is good. Not only the metal tracks, even the ambient stuff is top notch.
    ^ this
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played for almost 20 hours now. I like to take my time, explore a lot. Found 3 secret --Redacted-- from older ID games on that icy level.

I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I thing they went a bit overboard with all the mechanics. Kept/keep hitting the wrong buttons when the heat is on. I think I'd prefer the gameplay to be balanced around not having the grenade/ice launcher.

Marauders are a pain in the ass! Haven't met Archviles yet. Read that they too are kinda painful.

Anyone invaded by player Demons yet? That is supposed to be part of the campaign, right? Or have I misunderstood that part? I'm online.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-03-20 at 11:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Played for almost 20 hours now. I like to take my time, explore a lot. Found 3 secret --Redacted-- from older ID games on that icy level.

I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I thing they went a bit overboard with all the mechanics. Kept/keep hitting the wrong buttons when the heat is on. I think I'd prefer the gameplay to be balanced around not having the grenade/ice launcher.

Marauders are a pain in the ass! Haven't met Archviles yet. Read that they too are kinda painful.

Anyone invaded by player Demons yet? That is supposed to be part of the campaign, right? Or have I misunderstood that part? I'm online.
    Invasions are coming after launch. Id should have communicated that better considering it's in one of the earliest gameplay trailers, but there you go. There's also an empowered demon feature coming in a patch- some demons who have killed others players will be specially marked and receive buffed stats, but you can disable that in the menu if so you wish.

And I do think there's one mechanic too many. IMO the Flamebelcher should have been a gun, with the ice bomb being a weapon mod for either it or another gun such as the otherwise seldom used plasma gun. It's nice to have options, but also sometimes less is more when it comes to a frantic shooter.

When you play in the Cities it feels like a very good Doom Mod for the Duke Nukem game we ever wanted

What i dont like about the game is the rare Ammo and that you are forced to chainsaw all the time.
    Also i dont like that the Slayer Challenges let you fight endgame Demons before you see them "ingame".
    Was kinda shocked to see 2 Cyber Demons + a normal big Demon in the 4th Challenge.

I never use the Flamer because of the low dmg and you have to get close to the Enemy and i dont use the normal Grenade only the frost version.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2020-03-21 at 12:18 AM.

First time playing doom and it is super fun, but man do I suck.

Have to say though, the jumping seems buggy as hell. Sometimes double jump just clips into things and the blue things that push you upwards seem to be inconsistent in working correctly.

From what I have heard, the ammo, jumping around, mobs needing specific things to actually kill, ect. makes me think I'll wait until price goes down a bit. Still inteding to buy, but not at full price. Good thing i didnt preorder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    First time playing doom and it is super fun, but man do I suck.

Have to say though, the jumping seems buggy as hell. Sometimes double jump just clips into things and the blue things that push you upwards seem to be inconsistent in working correctly.
    Haven't encountered those bugs yet. However, I did have Dash bugged for a moment. It was like I was propelled by the strength of a dewy morning fart of a spring lamb. Was absolutely useless. It corrected itself after a while, so I wasn't all that inconvenienced by it.

Think the bug might have occurred after I picked the suit upgrade that made it recharge faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    When you play in the Cities it feels like a very good Doom Mod for the Duke Nukem game we ever wanted

What i dont like about the game is the rare Ammo and that you are forced to chainsaw all the time.
    Also i dont like that the Slayer Challenges let you fight endgame Demons before you see them "ingame".
    Was kinda shocked to see 2 Cyber Demons + a normal big Demon in the 4th Challenge.

I never use the Flamer because of the low dmg and you have to get close to the Enemy and i dont use the normal Grenade only the frost version.
    There is no reason to not use the normal grenade. It's on a separate cool down from frost.

I play on Nightmare and I use... everything. Flamer armory shards are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Haven't encountered those bugs yet. However, I did have Dash bugged for a moment. It was like I was propelled by the strength of a dewy morning fart of a spring lamb. Was absolutely useless. It corrected itself after a while, so I wasn't all that inconvenienced by it.

Think the bug might have occurred after I picked the suit upgrade that made it recharge faster.
    Werent you standing in that purple goop? It grounds you hard.

Most of the complaints here are really l2p issues. Yes, it requires you to think and react a lot more than Doom 2016.

While we're at "reacting": For the love of god i really can't beat the second "secret encounter" with the Marauder in Taras Nabad, any tips? Trying to stay at the right distance to get in some hits with the combat shotgun, but you really don't have the luxury to wait until his eyes glow to get a certain hit....
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2020-03-21 at 01:56 PM.

So, Bethesda paid for Denuvo... and forgot to put it into the game.

No one can convince me that Bethesda has some long - term, evil plan, they are just incompetent.