Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Now compare it with countries that are in lockdown.
    Finland is in almost complete lock down. Schools closed, borders closed, nyland län is closed off from the rest of the country. Bars, restaurants and nightclubs are closed. Skiing locations up north are closed down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I just hope we would have a vaccine by then, so far though I'm seeing swift progress in the virus' gene mapping.
    Hopefully, we will have it... If everyone works together, i don't even care if it is chinese made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    They haven't reached peak of the pandemic yet, no one has. For example, portuguese authorities are preparing to hold the situation until next June, when summer comes. This shit has came to stay for a whille, and until a vaccine is made, might return next winter.
    Best case scenario, we get treatments rolled out by the end of this month, and we can finally reach some normalcy by june.
    I hope it happens
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Has this been posted yet; Stockpile of US-manufactured ventilators sold overseas: report

A Pennsylvania company that received $13.8 million in tax dollars to produce cheap, portable ventilators is now selling them overseas as the U.S. scrambles to find enough of the devices to sustain hospital patients affected by the coronavirus, according to an investigation by ProPublica.

HHS ordered 10,000 of the ventilators for the Strategic National Stockpile at a cost of $3,280 each. Instead, the company, which is a subsidiary of Dutch appliance and technology giant Royal Philips N.V., began selling more expensive versions of the ventilators across the world.

HHS told ProPublica that the company agreed to produce them “as soon as possible,” but a Philips spokesman said the company has no plan to even begin production anytime this year.

Instead, the company is reportedly negotiating with a White House team led by Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to build 43,000 more ventilators for Americans infected with COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What hoax narrative are you referring to?
    Right wing media painted the virus as a hoax for months about 13% of the country according to poling think the entire thing is fake news.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finland is in lockdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Has this been posted yet; Stockpile of US-manufactured ventilators sold overseas: report

A Pennsylvania company that received $13.8 million in tax dollars to produce cheap, portable ventilators is now selling them overseas as the U.S. scrambles to find enough of the devices to sustain hospital patients affected by the coronavirus, according to an investigation by ProPublica.

HHS ordered 10,000 of the ventilators for the Strategic National Stockpile at a cost of $3,280 each. Instead, the company, which is a subsidiary of Dutch appliance and technology giant Royal Philips N.V., began selling more expensive versions of the ventilators across the world.

HHS told ProPublica that the company agreed to produce them “as soon as possible,” but a Philips spokesman said the company has no plan to even begin production anytime this year.

Instead, the company is reportedly negotiating with a White House team led by Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to build 43,000 more ventilators for Americans infected with COVID-19.
    This earths timeline is a comedy tragedy. The villains of this world are cartoon greedy fat cats

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Best case scenario, we get treatments rolled out by the end of this month, and we can finally reach some normalcy by june.
    I hope it happens
    Yep, we need to keep being optimistic, just don't lose your hopes.

So what's the deal with Japan? Article:
    In the U.S., New York has closed its bars and restaurants and California has imposed similarly wide-scale “shelter in place” restrictions on the movement of its people and the activities of its citizens.

Look around Tokyo now, and you’ll see no such scene has unfolded. Despite the cancellation of sports events, the closure of schools, and the shutting down of some, but not all, larger entertainment venues, much of Japan continues as normal. There is no quarantine and no enforced closures of bars or restaurants. Even clubs (easy places to get sick at the best of times) remain open.

If you want to eat ramen at 4 a.m., fine. If you get on the subway, you’ll see it slightly emptier, but still heaving. If you want to rent a car and drive from one end of the country and back again, do it — there’s nothing stopping you. Which means there’s very little stopping the spread of the disease either.

When you look at the factors that have made the virus spread quickly and easily elsewhere, Japan meets all of the same criteria. It has close contact with China, where the disease originated. Its cities are vast and dense, people are crammed into small apartments and squeezed together on trains (more so than many other cities), and despite requests for people to stagger their commutes and attempt to telework, Tokyo, with its population of 38 million people, remains busy.

And it’s not like Japan has placed strict measures on its citizens to keep the disease under control. It has neither imposed the level of quarantine we saw in China to curb the outbreak, nor has it been strict with its travel restrictions. Most travelers can still visit Japan, and those from restricted countries aren’t banned entirely, they are just asked to voluntarily self-isolate for 14 days.

South Korea also refused any lockdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm proud of being Swedish right now. The whole world screeches and REEEEEEs about how we are doing it all wrong, but we don't care and go our own way. I have my full trust in Folkhälsomyndigheten. We don't need the military or police behaving authoritarian, we just need to hear some recommendations from the health authorities and government and most of us will follow without the police ruling with an iron fist.

I wonder when the rest of the world will figure out that having a full lockdown isnät necessarily the best way.
    maybe when you realize the rest of the world isn't like sweden?
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    maybe when you realize the rest of the world isn't like sweden?
    Sweden is taking the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil approach to fighting a pandemic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    South Korea also refused any lockdown.
    They did aggressive testing, contact tracing and quarantining they have the virus under control not the approach the Swedes are taking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Greece is in complete lockdown pretty much immediately since shit began hitting the fan in Italy, you have to SMS a number and state one of six reasons of going outside, like getting groceries or walking your dog (a lot of people got dogs lol).
    You get an OK reply, if you don't have one readily available when the police asks you get fined.

Supposedly we are doing fine with 49 deaths so far, but I wouldn't trust any number from any country.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-03-31 at 07:39 PM.

After listening to a few talk shows this morning from Monday-Tuesday they were talking to people who tested positive.

they said after someone in the family was tested positive they refused to test anyone else in the house and automatically assumed they were infected.
    Those people are also not counted in the current stats.

In NY one of the producers of the Howard Stern show said his wife tested positive, took 8 days to get results and him and his two kids were refused test. They all ended up with fevers and symptoms of varying degree

I support not testing because its most likely if they are showing symptoms they are positive and its a waste of resources, but made me realize the "official" numbers are probably at least 2-3x lower then they really are just on household members...this is not even including the multiple of people who never bothered to get tested.

we are most likely in the millions by now.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm proud of being Swedish right now. The whole world screeches and REEEEEEs about how we are doing it all wrong, but we don't care and go our own way. I have my full trust in Folkhälsomyndigheten. We don't need the military or police behaving authoritarian, we just need to hear some recommendations from the health authorities and government and most of us will follow without the police ruling with an iron fist.

I wonder when the rest of the world will figure out that having a full lockdown isnät necessarily the best way.
    I'm with you on this.

Most everyone here seems full of doom and gloom but consulting the encyclopedia brexitia for some balance and a cheerier pov they have a useful graphic with data provided by the government Office of National Statistics for the UK. Do you have anything similar for your countries? It does beg the question what exactly is going on and provide some comfort from all the sensationalism over this quite pathetic disease...

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Sweden is taking the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil approach to fighting a pandemic.
    And it's fucking stupid. The whole world economy is sinking, if Swedes really think keeping their restaurants, bars and schools open for extra two months makes a god damn difference in the long run financially, they are so wrong. All it accomplishes is maybe 1% better economy in the absolute disaster that is to come, but there are thousands and thousands of dead people because of it.

We were too slow in our quarantine efforts, weeks late. But what Sweden is doing is insane. The people in charge of these decisions should face trial once the dust settles.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    And it's fucking stupid. The whole world economy is sinking, if Swedes really think keeping their restaurants, bars and schools open for extra two months makes a god damn difference in the long run financially, they are so wrong. All it accomplishes is maybe 1% better economy in the absolute disaster that is to come, but there are thousands and thousands of dead people because of it.

We were too slow in our quarantine efforts, weeks late. But what Sweden is doing is insane. The people in charge of these decisions should face trial once the dust settles.
    To be fair they are not alone Brazil, Belarus and some other countries are taking the same approach they are not reporting numbers not even deaths just letting it spread.

Well, looks like politics will be as usual in the US; Trump expected to formally unveil new guidelines and provide models as rationale

The White House will formally reissue nationwide coronavirus guidelines on Tuesday after President Donald Trump — faced with dire models showing up to 200,000 American deaths and polls indicating support for social distancing and calamitous scenes at New York hospitals — determined another 30 days were necessary to avert disaster.

Not all of Trump's advisers support the decision, and some have privately questioned the models his health advisers used to convince him the distancing efforts were necessary, multiple people familiar with the matter said. Trump faced intense pressure from business leaders and some conservative economists to reopen some parts of the country before ultimately deciding against it.

The principal coordinator on the coronavirus task force, Dr. Deborah Birx, said on Monday the team would come to Tuesday's briefing prepared to back up their recommendations and the President's ultimate decision with data.

"We'll go through all of the graphs and all of the information that we took to the President for the decision," she said.

The picture could be stark. Birx has said their data show that even if the country executes social distancing measures "perfectly," between 100,000 and 200,000 people could still die.

Those predictions don't have universal support inside the White House. There remains a concern among some skeptics on Trump's team that Birx and Dr. Anthony Fauci have put stock in models that could be wrong.

Epidemiological models rely on assumptions and can't, by their nature, always be 100% accurate. Much about the virus's spread remains unknown, particularly with persistent problems on getting Americans tested.

Trump himself seemed preoccupied with another figure — 2.2 million — during Sunday's briefing. An earlier study from the United Kingdom projected that number of potential American deaths if mitigation efforts weren't taken seriously.

The team also plans to spell out steps it's taken to increase testing and surveillance of coronavirus cases in individual states, a key component to containing the spread. Health experts have warned that without adequate testing, it's impossible to know how many people have been infected and which areas are better off.

Contact tracing — the practice of determining who an infected person may have interacted with — also requires robust testing efforts, and is another step experts have said is necessary to containing the virus.

Speaking on CNN, Fauci said Tuesday that social distancing measures were bearing some initial results.

"We're starting to see glimmers that that is actually having some dampening effect," he said.

"I don't want to put too much stock on it because you don't want to get overconfident, you just want to keep pushing in what you're doing," Fauci added. "You're starting to see that the daily increases are not in that steep incline, they're starting to be able to possibly flatten out."

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I'm with you on this.

Most everyone here seems full of doom and gloom but consulting the encyclopedia brexitia for some balance and a cheerier pov they have a useful graphic with data provided by the government Office of National Statistics for the UK. Do you have anything similar for your countries? It does beg the question what exactly is going on and provide some comfort from all the sensationalism over this quite pathetic disease...

You do understand that graph can be read as "Social distancing has negative effect on deaths regardless of the source"?
    Ie: Less cars in traffic = Less traffic deaths
    Ie: People socially distance them selves = Less deaths to influeanza
    etc etc

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't know what the Americans are doing.

I think Trump is betting on a fast vaccine while simultaneously trying to save the economy by pumping Fed money into it, but if he's wrong and it doesn't get contained, he is going to be the second worst leader of this crisis after Bolsonaro.