10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    God how I wish we could back to the days spectacularly average. Trump is single handedly destroying the bell curve.
    I know, it has set expectations so low. After two consecutive elections where we essentially have to choose between Shit and Radioactive Shit, we deserve a better ticket in 2024. Maybe Kasich vs. Newsom? A nice boring election that nobody needs to get too excited about, because whoever wins we get a reliable, proven, and successful leader.

https://www.theweek.com/speedreads/9...gnoring-others

This is it, this is literally the job for the federal government. Logistics. Making sure states get what they need, when then need it, where they need it, with their vastly greater resources.

And for no apparent reason, the Trump administration is monumentally fucking it up. Dramatically oversupplying some states with some materials, dramatically undersupplying other states with others.

This is what happens when you elect a reality TV show star who surrounds himself with sycophants.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/u...ction-act.html

Huh, for all the handwringing and pearl clutching about invoking the DPA I figured it was a pretty rare occurrence.

Apparently, it's not. At all. And it's constantly used to get resources and materials for the military so they can skip ahead in line.

Gotta wonder why there was hesitation to invoke it for materials needed to protect medical professionals caring for the thousands of infected individuals. Are they and the patients they care for just not important enough?

Trump rejects Obamacare special enrollment period amid pandemic

Yeah. I just don't know what to say anymore. Other than California "Covered California" and all insurance companies with state approved plans are open for enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by skarnpoke View Post
    You need nationalized health care. Neither main party is offering that.

Any one who opposed it has blood on their hands. Frankly, they deserve to die-because their votes meant other people did.
    Nationalized healthcare wouldn't have made much of an impact to the current situation.
    The current bill passed will reimburse hospitals for unpaid virus bills and bail them out so they are not really refusing services at this point.

Long term yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Trump rejects Obamacare special enrollment period amid pandemic

Yeah. I just don't know what to say anymore. Other than California "Covered California" and all insurance companies with state approved plans are open for enrollment.
    Doesn't matter.
    Once you lose your job...bam....you qualify for special enrollment.

it would also prove what democrats said all along.
    once the shit hits the fan, people will run out and sign up for it and love something they hated for years.

Also a nice little "hole"
    You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you or anyone in your household lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days OR expects to lose coverage in the next 60 days.

"expect"....lol

so after this week that is 7-9 million additional people that will love their cheep subsidized ACA insurance.
    I can't wait to see what states the surge of new applicants will come from *coughREDSTATEScough*
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Nationalized healthcare wouldn't have made much of an impact to the current situation.
    The current bill passed will reimburse hospitals for unpaid virus bills and bail them out so they are not really refusing services at this point.

Long term yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't matter.
    Once you lose your job...bam....you qualify for special enrollment.

it would also prove what democrats said all along.
    once the shit hits the fan, people will run out and sign up for it and love something they hated for years.

Also a nice little "hole"
    You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you or anyone in your household lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days OR expects to lose coverage in the next 60 days.

"expect"....lol

so after this week that is 7-9 million additional people that will love their cheep subsidized ACA insurance.
    I can't wait to see what states the surge of new applicants will come from *coughREDSTATEScough*
    On the current situation? I think it would have.

Other countries have more icu beds per capita as hospitals prepare for disasters.

American hospitals do not prepare for disasters but instead make sure to have the minimum required icu beds they use on average per year, because icu beds are expensive... and it isn't economically sensible when you're trying to maximise profits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Other countries have more icu beds per capita as hospitals prepare for disasters.

American hospitals do not prepare for disasters but instead make sure to have the minimum required icu beds they use on average per year, because icu beds are expensive... and it isn't economically sensible when you're trying to maximise profits.
    Erm...

The US has far more ICU beds per capita that almost anybody...

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    On the current situation? I think it would have.

nationalized healthcare does not mean unlimited spending.

We already have over 100 million people on such plans (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, CHIP) and like all nationalized healthcare they still have to manage cost. They would not add beds just to prepare for such a disaster. Maybe after this they will or at least increase the ability to build temp structures at a much higher pace and numbers when they need to but I do not see them making permanent beds even with a national healthcare system
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take DOWn 400 as practically flat based on previous days.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'll take DOWn 400 as practically flat based on previous days.
    Imagine saying that a year ago.

Welcome to the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    So, $2 trillion more now for infrastructure. Not criticizing it, it's just that we sure are spending. I know fiscal conservatism died a cartoon death years ago, but these kinds of spending numbers make me grimace.
    If only we hadn't spent $1.5 trillion on stock buybacks...I mean tax cuts then the infrastructure wouldn't look so bad.

Also, Trump walked away from infrastructure talks last year because apparently he's a man that can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Why is it all of the easy shit he can't even get right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52108162

According to the Trump administration: Gun stores are "essential" businesses and should remain open.

I'm sure we're gonna beat the coronavirus by...shooting it, yes.
    Gotta keep the NRA happy, I guess, else you won't get that sweet Russian money.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    I seem to remember something about rent/mortgage forgiveness being shot down. Maybe I misremember. Oh wait, no, here it is plain as day.

In any event, this is the result of not doing it.

Many Americans have already lost their jobs – last week’s national unemployment claims exceeded 3 million, shattering previous records – and huge swaths of the country have essentially shut down, with more than half of U.S. states now under some version of a stay-at-home order to curb the disease’s spread.

One third of the nation’s 328 million residents live in rental homes, according to U.S. Census data. In New York City, the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak, the proportion of those who rent is much higher.

Some states have instituted a moratorium on residential evictions. Housing advocates, however, have called for more dramatic action, including putting rent payments on hold altogether until the economy can restart.
    The relief checks aren't out yet. They won't be for a while yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And for no apparent reason, the Trump administration is monumentally fucking it up
    Don't worry, he has a cunning plan. He's hoarding them. For the surge.

Trump said the reason for holding back the 10,000 ventilators was because of the projected surge of cases that are expected to occur over the next two to three weeks.

"It's like a reserve right now," Trump said. "It's like oil reserves except more valuable, quite frankly."

"But we have a good supply of ventilators and we're ready to go," Trump added. "We're all ready. We have trucks ready, we have everything ready because as we're saying, this could be a hell of a bad two weeks. It's going to be a very bad two, maybe three weeks. This is going to be three weeks like we haven't seen before."
    Just so we're clear, as Edge- cited, there's a shortage now. Holding back life-saving equipment for later is just choosing who Trump wants to die.

Just so we're clear: if Trump sent them, then when the surge came, the places he sent them? They'd already have them. There is no reason to do this unless you think the people about to die later are more important than the people dying now.

Also, let's not forget: Trump had the federal government outbid states. Which makes it even worse.

Maybe Trump wants tp be seen as riding to the rescue...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Maybe Trump wa
    Wait, I wasn't finished.

IL has gotten 10% of their requests filled.

I wonder if that has something to do with where Obama lives?

I seem to remember something about rent/mortgage forgiveness being shot down. Maybe I misremember. Oh wait, no, here it is plain as day.

In any event, this is the result of not doing it.

The relief checks aren't out yet. They won't be for a while yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, he has a cunning plan. He's hoarding them. For the surge.

Just so we're clear, as Edge- cited, there's a shortage now. Holding back life-saving equipment for later is just choosing who Trump wants to die.

Just so we're clear: if Trump sent them, then when the surge came, the places he sent them? They'd already have them. There is no reason to do this unless you think the people about to die later are more important than the people dying now.

Also, let's not forget: Trump had the federal government outbid states. Which makes it even worse.
    Maybe they are not working and the Feds is fixing them first.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I wasn't finished.

IL has gotten 10% of their requests filled.

I wonder if that has something to do with where Obama lives?
    What are they complaining about? They got 450 ventilators. California only received 170. Which had to be refurbished first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, time to check the death count. Yesterday at this time

3,040 at time of writing.
    and now...four thousand seventy six.

The US lost over a thousand people to this in 24 hours. A fucking thousand. Deaths, not cases.

And that's a 33%+ increase, significantly more than the last few. Fuck.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Maybe Trump wants tp be seen as riding to the rescue...
    Maybe...? I mean, the more deplorable morally reprehensible person to ever set foot in that building is now in charge.

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...314869761?s=19

I may post this tweet every so often. Trump in this tweet set a number of 70k as 'no big deal'. He was never serious about the pandem and now he stated 100k deaths or more.

I hope this is used in every attack ad.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...314869761?s=19

I may post this tweet every so often. Trump in this tweet set a number of 70k as 'no big deal'. He was never serious about the pandem and now he stated 100k deaths or more.

I hope this is used in every attack ad.
    Does this idiot know that fucking disease will kill at the very least 10s of thousands of people, ALONGSIDE the ones that die from the flu?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I may post this tweet every so often.
    Make sure you also bring up the 2009 outbreak he blamed Biden for. Neither of us make the rules, but we can see to it they're enforced.

- - - Updated - - -

We've compared NY and FL before. Florida has not yet issued a stay-at-home order for the whole state. NY did so two weeks ago.

FL's argument is "some parts of the state aren't bad yet". I guess he'll issue the order when enough people are infected, that it doesn't matter anymore.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trump says ventilators being held back for 'surge' in infections . Because the rate of infection and number of dead have been 'just fine' so far. What a stupid fucking asshole.